She Wore A Yellow Ribbon (1949)

There are 215 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 286,819 times. The latest Post () was by Nathan.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• the screencaps are just so beauiful,its like looking at the paintings that Frederic Remington did of the wild west.

• Thanks! Go on over to the website and you'll see lots more of those screencaps --5,1083 total! ;)

Just follow Duke -- he's pointing the way. ;)

Edited once, last by Paula ().

• I’ve been watching this movie on the Encores’ Western channel every time it comes on.
    I finally noticed something at the funeral scene where they are burying the settlers and the Trooper. As Captain Brittles finishes his eulogy and Tyree steps up and ask permission to place the Confederate Flag on the Coffin of Trooper John Smith, he grants permission and turns to the bugler to signal to play taps. Tyree starts to kneel down. He turns and walks off, the bugler step up and swings the bulge up and starts playing. The next scene shows Tyree knelt down placing the homemade flag. In the background, you can see the legs of Captain Brittle walk off, the bugler step up and swing the bugle up to play. All this while taps was already playing.
    It’s mostly a continuity error, but I had never noticed it before. I was wondering if anyone else had noticed it as well.
    I love this movie and watch it whenever it comes on. I finally ordered it on DVD just so I could see it when I wanted to and not wait for Encore or TCM to show it.
    Also while Frank McGrath was unaccredited, he was in almost every scene with John Wayne when they were riding out on the trail. I get the feeling he really didn’t play the bugle. Somehow he doesn’t seem to make the motions of playing when you watch him.

Maj. Amos Dundee: I have only three commands. When I signal you to come, you come. When I signal you to charge, you charge. And when I signal you to run - you follow me and run like *hell*!

Major Dundee (1965)

• The caption on this picture references sometihing about a Rudy Bowman (presumably the guy on the left) and some sort of throat injury. Anybody know the back story on this one? Seems like there must be one.

"I am not intoxicated - yet." McLintock!

• I've done some research, but I was unable to find anything about his throat injury. Very little at all about him, in fact. I sure am curious now! I also notice that at the bottom of the writing it says "more". I wonder if there was more written on the back of the photo or on another piece of paper or something.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them" It may be time worn, but it's the best life-creed I know.

• No, there isn't anything else on the back of the photo.

A friend of mine who is also a big Ben Johnson fan did find some information in a Reader's Digest online about Rudy Bowman's throat injury suffered during a World War I battle:

Bleeding at the throat, he tried to cry out for help, but he could not make a sound. Shrapnel had blasted out his vocal cords. Breathing also was difficult. A section of his trachea had been severed to form a valve that fluttered shut when he took a deep breath. Only by holding his breathing to slow, shallow drafts could he get any air at all.

The next day at a hospital in Barois, doctors prepared to operate. Nurses had an ether cone ready. Frantically Bowman motioned for pencil and paper. Weak from pain and loss of blood, he managed to scrawl: "Controlling breathing. If you use ether I'll choke." The doctor quickly made an incision in Bowman's throat and inserted a breathing tube. Thirteen months and 11 hospitals later the only sound Bowman could make was that of clearing his throat. Nurses and doctors looked at him with pity — on a routine vocational questionnaire he had written that he wanted to become an actor.

• My friend mentioned above (her name is Mary-Kate) was able to find out more information about the article on Google, and it turns out to have been published in the June 1949 issue of The Reader's Digest. Fortunately a copy was available on eBay and I immediately purchased it. And now here is a scan of the entire article. Warning -- bring a hanky. This is a very touching story, and I'm so glad Mary-Kate was able to find it and let us know something new about She Wore a Yellow Ribbon. I'll never watch this scene the same way again.

• It's John Wayne's birthday -- which of course you all know. To celebrate at my Ben Johnson page, I've posted the German program for She Wore a Yellow Ribbon, which features a wonderful portrait of John Wayne on the front page, and a number of photos from the movie on the two inside pages and the back.