She Wore A Yellow Ribbon (1949)

There are 215 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 287,909 times. The latest Post () was by Nathan.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Hi Paula, The funeral picture is one of the very best of Ward's old buddy, Frank McGrath, (Wagon Train's Charlie Wooster). He was the bugler in each one of the trilogy films. He was used because of his prowess with horses. As he was right next to the leader, he was seen all the time. He has his horse prance, rear, wheel, etc. So, Pappy had an extra horseman to add a little to SON's wonderful horsemanship.
    Pictures are great, thanks, KEITH

God, she reminds me of me! DUKE

• There's probably a thread around here for action figures but I can't find it. ;)

I recently discovered the Open Range forum (http://openrange.freeforums.org), an internet board for people who make 1:6 scale action figures. Most of the board is devoted to figures from the Old West, though there are a lot with military characters. The action figures depict historical people, movie characters and original characters invented by the hobbyists. They will also create buildings and landscape and accessorize with animals, weapons and any kind of prop you can imagine -- all in miniature! The work and attention to detail is absolutely amazing.

One of the people there, Mark, loves She Wore a Yellow Ribbon and made 1:6 action figures of some of the characters, including Sgt. Tyree, Captain Brittles and others. I've written up a story about Mark and his Yellow Ribbon action figures at my Ben Johnson page so please come on over there and read all about it. http://benjohnsonfanpage.shutterfly.com.

Here are the figures Mark made of Brittles and Tyree. ;)

• Thanks for this Paula, even though they are a bit weird looking ha ha.
    There is not an 'action figure' thread as such,
    although the Franklin Mint figures crop up now and again,
    in The Trading Posts

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• All this week on the Ben Johnson fanpage I've been posting "reruns" -- new and improved versions of photos I'd posted earlier. The last three were from She Wore a Yellow Ribbon and here they are.

The first version was from the Seattle Times archive and had some light streaks on it and no publicity info at the bottom. Otherwise the picture quality is the same.

SWAYR-23M_zps78161255[1].jpg

The first version is identical to this except there was a tiny piece of white gunk stuck to it obscuring one of John Wayne's eyes. I couldn't pull the gunk off without ripping the photo. But here now is another copy without the gunk. :)

SWAYR-16M_zpsb292927f[1].jpg

The first version was one I found somewhere on the internet (can't remember where). Someone started selling actual copies (a modern reproduction) on ebay so I bought one and it has much better detail as well as a bit more picture information on the bottom.

SWAYR-11S-1_zpsa1e3a0e5[1].jpg

• Shopped for sure, Paula. Just look at the images. Man the more I see SON, the more I just Love him. Wardell is still first with me though, LOL. Heh..he was really a hunk when he was young! KEITH

• Hawkswill, this has not been photoshopped. It is a vintage still from the days long before photoshopping. But I think they hand tinted a black and white photo. Looks more tinted to me than faded from the sun. Maybe it was tinted --and then faded! :)

• Hawkswill, this has not been photoshopped. It is a vintage still from the days long before photoshopping. But I think they hand tinted a black and white photo. Looks more tinted to me than faded from the sun. Maybe it was tinted --and then faded! :)

Hi there Paula, I suppose I used the wrong word. I use "Photoshopped" for anything like tinting, LOL. But, for sure something has been done to it! Say Hi to your hubby, and have a great day.,,,,,,,Oh, give SON a big hug for me, LOL! KEITH

• Mark the 1/6 modeler is at it again. This time he created a beautiful diorama of one of the most poignant scenes from SWAYR, the one with the dying Trooper John Smith. I dare you to look at this and not get a lump in your throat! ;) Anyway, here are two of Mark's photos, but if you click on the link to the thread at the Open Range forum for this diorama you will find several more photos plus info from Mark on all the work involved in creating it.

http://openrange.freeforums.or…-trooper-smith-t2809.html

SWAYR-24M_zpsd90f44f1[1].jpgSmith-2_zpsb7015497[1].jpg

• Hi Paula, The funeral picture is one of the very best of Ward's old buddy, Frank McGrath, (Wagon Train's Charlie Wooster). He was the bugler in each one of the trilogy films. He was used because of his prowess with horses. As he was right next to the leader, he was seen all the time. He has his horse prance, rear, wheel, etc. So, Pappy had an extra horseman to add a little to SON's wonderful horsemanship.
    Pictures are great, thanks, KEITH

I have always wondered, did Frank McGrath really play the bugle or was that added in post production? And if he was the bugler, why didn't he have one of those bugler symbols as well as his corporal stripes?

Maj. Amos Dundee: I have only three commands. When I signal you to come, you come. When I signal you to charge, you charge. And when I signal you to run - you follow me and run like *hell*!

Major Dundee (1965)