There are 23 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 18,804 times. The latest Post () was by lasbugas.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• fonda.jpgHENRY FONDA

INFORMATION FROM IMDb

Date of birth
    16 May 1905
    Grand Island, Nebraska, USA

Date of death
    12 August 1982
    Los Angeles, California, USA. (cardiorespiratory arrest)

Birth name
    Henry Jaynes Fonda

Nickname
    One-Take Fonda
    Hank

Height
    6' 1½" (1.87 m)

Trade mark
    Noticeable for his "cat-like" walk, especially in westerns: moving at a slow but clock-like tempo, throwing forward one feet at time, while letting the arms dangle loosely at his sides.

Bright blue eyes

Spouse
    Shirley Fonda (3 December 1965 - 12 August 1982) (his death)
    Afdera Franchetti (10 March 1957 - January 1961) (divorced)
    Susan Blanchard (28 December 1950 - May 1956) (divorced) 1 child
    Frances Seymour Brokaw (16 September 1936 - 14 April 1950) (her death) 2 children
    Margaret Sullavan (25 December 1931 - 1932) (divorced)

Trivia
    The Fonda family name comes from Italy, by way of the Netherlands.

Ranked #95 in Empire (UK) magazine's "The Top 100 Movie Stars of All Time" list. [October 1997]

Father of Jane Fonda and Peter Fonda.

Studied acting with Dorothy Brando, mother of Marlon Brando.

Tony Award for "Mister Roberts" in the title role. [1948]

Earned the rank of Life Scout and became a Scout Master as an adult.

Grandfather of Bridget Fonda, Justin Fonda and Troy Garity.

During a Barbara Walters interview, Jane Fonda claimed that her father was deeply in love with Lucille Ball and that the two were "very close" during the filming of Yours, Mine and Ours (1968).

Hobby was making model airplanes and kites.

Grandfather of Vanessa Vadim, father-in-law of Roger Vadim.

Father-in-law of Tom Hayden.

His last film was also Myrna Loy's.

His ancestors came from Genoa, Italy, and fled to the Netherlands around 1400. Among the early Dutch settlers in America, they established a still-thriving small town in upstate New York named Fonda in the early 1600s, named after patriarch Douw Fonda, who was later killed by Indians. Henry Fonda's paternal grandparents moved to Nebraska in the 1800s.

Father-in-law of Ted Turner.

The oldest person ever to win a Best Actor Oscar (He was 76 at the time).

Was good friends with James Stewart.

He periodically returned to the legitimate stage throughout his career ("Mister Roberts," "Critic's Choice," "First Monday in October"), but missed out on the chance to create the role of George in the original Broadway production of "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?" when his agent rejected the script out of hand, without consulting him. The agent gave as his reason the assertion that, "you don't want to be in a play about four people yelling at each other all the time." Fonda, who was an admirer of playwright Edward Albee's talents, was furious. It didn't help matters when old friends like James Stewart and his wife Gloria Stewart, or even his own daughter Jane, told him that they saw the play in New York and couldn't picture anyone but Fonda in the lead. Finally seeing the show himself, Fonda was duly impressed by Arthur Hill's performance in the role, and conceded that he couldn't have played the part any better.

Was known as a ladies' man in Hollywood, having been involved in affairs with many actresses.

Step-daughter, Pan, with Frances Brokaw

Daughter, Amy, with Susan Blanchard.

In spite of his kind, heroic, honest screen persona, he was often described as being cold, aloof and frequently angry off-screen.

A friendship and collaboration of nearly 20 years was ended when director John Ford sucker-punched him while making Mister Roberts (1955).

The Fonda family was acquainted with Marlon Brando's family, as they both lived in Omaha, NE, although the two very different actors never knew each other because Fonda was much older. In fact, when the teenaged Brando started out as an actor, he did so in the shadow of Fonda, who was the most famous person from Omaha at that point.

Was twice a roommate and a very close friend of James Stewart. They met and shared a room when the two were both struggling young actors in the early 1930s. Stewart went out to Hollywood a little before Fonda did and when Fonda moved out there he shared Stewart's home, where they both gained reputations as ladies' men. After Stewart got married and Fonda had kids, the more mellow buddies still hung out, usually spending time building model airplanes.

He was voted the 29th Greatest Movie Star of all time by Entertainment Weekly.

Though a Democrat for most of his life, Fonda was once a registered Republican, according to his son Peter Fonda in his autobiography "Don't Tell Dad: A Memoir" (1999). Peter believes that Henry's liberalism caused him to be "gray-listed" during the early 1950s, when he experienced a six-year layoff from films.

Won Broadway's 1948 Tony Award as Best Actor (Dramatic) for "Mister Roberts" in the title role -- an award shared with Paul Kelly for "Command Decision" and Basil Rathbone for "The Heinres." He also won a second, Special Tony in 1979, and was additionally nominated for Broadway's 1975 Tony Award as Best Actor (Dramatic) for "Clarence Darrow."

He was voted the 10th Greatest Movie Star of all time by Premiere Magazine.

Named the #6 greatest actor on The 50 Greatest Screen Legends by the American Film Institute

Pictured on a 37¢ USA commemorative postage stamp in the Legends of Hollywood series, issued in his honor on 20 May 2005.

One of his hobbies was bee keeping. This was one of many traits that his son, Peter Fonda, incorporated into his performance in Ulee's Gold (1997), a performance Peter says he based on his father.

He and his daughter Jane Fonda were the first father-daughter couple to be Oscar-nominated the same year (1982).

Of the Oscar-winning father-daughter couples, he and his daughter are the one of two couples (the other is Hayley Mills/John Mills) where the daughter won an Academy award before the father did.

Awarded "Father of The Year" in 1963 by the Father's Day Mother's Day Council, Inc.

Personal quotes
    "I don't want to just sell war bonds. I want to be a sailor."

"I hope you won't be disappointed. You see I am not a very interesting person. I haven't ever done anything except be other people. I ain't really Henry Fonda! Nobody could be. Nobody could have that much integrity."

"I'm not that pristine pure, I guess I've broken as many rules as the next feller. But I reckon my face looks honest enough and if people buy it, Hallelujah."

"Baby it out. That's an old marble shooter's expression for approaching your target cautiosly instead of trying to take it out with one shot."

"Next to Clint Eastwood's father, he personally had done more for Clint Eastwood than anyone else." - about Sergio Leone.

I'm not really Henry Fonda. Nobody could have that much integrity.

[speaking in 1978] "I guess I go overboard to avoid taking credit for the image I have. That's why it's easier to live with myself. I don't feel I'm totally a man of integrity."

"If there is something in my eyes, a kind of honesty in the face, then I guess you could say that's the man I'd like to be, the man I want to be."

"I look like my father. To this day, when I walk past a mirror and see my reflection in it, my first impression is: That's my father. There is a strong Fonda look."

[on Jane Fonda and Peter Fonda, 1976] "I didn't help or discourage them or lead them by the hand. I'm not trying to set myself up as a good father, because I wasn't a good father. But I think I knew instinctively that if they did make it, they would like to know they'd done it on their own. I recognise all the problems my children have had, and I don't claim any credit for what they've become. They've become what they are in spite of me."

Salary
    The Longest Day (1962) $30,000
    Fort Apache (1948) $110,000

Mini biography
    Born in Grand Island, Nebraska, Henry Fonda started his acting debut with the Omaha Community Playhouse, a local amateur theater troupe directed by Dorothy Brando. He moved to the Cape Cod University Players and later Broadway, New York to expand his theatrical career from 1926 to 1934. His first major roles in Broadway include "New Faces of America" and "The Farmer Takes a Wife". The latter play was transfered to the screen in 1935 and became the start-up of Fonda's lifelong Hollywood career. The following year he married Frances Seymour Fonda with whom he had two children: Jane and Peter Fonda also to become screen stars. He is most remembered for his roles as Abe Lincoln in Young Mr. Lincoln (1939), Tom Joad in The Grapes of Wrath (1940), for which he received an Academy Award Nomination, and more recently, Norman Thayer in On Golden Pond (1981), for which he received an Academy Award for Best Actor in 1982. Henry Fonda is considered one of Hollywood's old-time legends and was friend and contemporary of James Stewart, John Ford and Joshua Logan. His movie career which spanned almost 50 years is completed by a notable presence in American theater and television.
    Laurence Dang

Biography
    from Leonard Maltin's Movie Encyclopedia:
    The words one associates most often with Henry Fonda are "honesty" and "integrity." He projected those qualities in the characters he played, and audiences came to associate them with Fonda himself. Similarly, those words can be used to describe his approach to acting. You never saw the wheels turning; you simply believed him.

Raised in Omaha, the son of a printer, Fonda initially harbored ambitions of being a newspaperman and to that end became a journalism major at the University of Minnesota. He dropped out after two years to get a job, and shortly thereafter started dabbling in amateur theatrics. He eventually quit his office-boy job and worked full-time at the Omaha Community Playhouse. In 1928, while back East, he met several participants of the University Players group, and was persuaded to join them. The company included such future theatrical luminaries as Joshua Logan, Mildred Natwick, Margaret Sullavan, and later, James Stewart. He spent several years with the group, marrying Sullavan in 1931 and divorcing her two years later. (They made an unsuccessful screen test together for MGM in New York.) By 1934 he had reached Broadway and after scoring his first big hit as the rural Romeo in 1935's "The Farmer Takes a Wife," he was invited to Hollywood to reprise the role in a movie version opposite Janet Gaynor.

The lanky, soft-spoken Fonda hit a chord that resonated among picture-show audiences, especially those in America's heartland, where his down-home manner reminded them of ... themselves. He played rural youths in several more films, including Way Down East (also 1935), The Trail of the Lonesome Pine (1936, third-billed but no less memorable in his first Technicolor film), and Slim (1937). But he wasn't anxious to be typecast as a country bumpkin, and eagerly accepted a variety of assignments. He was teamed with former wife Sullavan in The Moon's Our Home (1936), a lame screwball comedy; with Sylvia Sidney, his Lonesome Pine costar, in You Only Live Once (1937, directed by Fritz Lang), a Bonnie-andClyde-type thriller; with Madeleine Carroll in Blockade (1938), a politically minded romance set during the Spanish Civil War; with Barbara Stanwyck in The Mad Miss Manton (1938), a screwball comedy-mystery; and with Bette Davis in Jezebel (also 1938), a torrid drama of the Old South.

Fonda's career got a major boost from his two-year stint with 20th Century-Fox. During that time he was assigned supporting roles-backing up Tyrone Power in Jesse James (1939, playing brother Frank), Don Ameche in The Story of Alexander Graham Bell (also 1939), and Alice Faye in Lillian Russell (1940)-and leads alike. Director John Ford deserves credit for developing and exploiting Fonda's unique appeal as an American Everyman. He first starred the actor in a colorful, colonial-era drama, Drums Along the Mohawk then cast him in the title role of Young Mr. Lincoln (both 1939, Fonda more than rising to the challenge of playing this almost mythical giant of American history in the latter), and finally gave him the plum role of Okie migrant Tom Joad in his sober but brilliant adaptation of John Steinbeck's The Grapes of Wrath (1940). It was in the latter characterization, perhaps more than any other, that Fonda, deliberately or not, defined the essential American character: strong but gentle, independent but communal, pragmatic but optimistic, with a firm grasp of reality but a keen appreciation of faith. He was Oscar-nominated for this stirring performance but, amazingly, lost out (to his best friend, no less-Jimmy Stewart, winning for The Philadelphia Story

After starring in The Return of Frank James and Chad Hanna (both 1940), Fonda was loaned to Paramount, where he played the male lead in Preston Sturges' The Lady Eve (1941), proving that he could play deadpan comedy and do pratfalls with the best of 'em. He also played comedic roles in The Male Animal and The Magnificent Dope (both 1942), but it was a drama, The Ox-Bow Incident (1943), that gave him another of his signature roles, in this unforgettable lynch-mob story set in the Old West. He returned to that milieu in 1946, after serving with distinction (winning a Bronze Star and a Presidential citation) in the U.S. Navy during World War 2, to play frontier lawman Wyatt Earp in John Ford's My Darling Clementine Ford, perhaps wisely, ignored the historic Earp and had Fonda limn a character much closer to the stoic Western heroes Ford popularized in the silent era; the result was a classic morality play that still ranks as one of the landmarks of the Western genre.

Fonda worked for Ford again in 1947's The Fugitive a brooding drama set in Mexico, and in 1948's Fort Apache a cavalry-vs.-Indians story that cast him as a mustached martinet. Other postwar film assignments, like 1947's Daisy Kenyon and The Long Night were unexciting (though he and James Stewart had fun together in one segment of 1948's On Our Merry Way Fonda found greater satisfaction on the stage, in a play he came to love, "Mister Roberts," which he later reprised on film in 1955 (though, to his dismay, the movie version injected a great deal of comic horseplay, which led to a bitter-and irrevocable-fight between him and director John Ford; Mervyn LeRoy completed the film). Like many of the men he played on stage and screen, naval officer Roberts was a man of absolute integrity; this was a quality audiences came to associate with Fonda for the rest of his life. It's no accident he played U.S. presidents so often.

Following his triumph in the film version of Mister Roberts Fonda's film career took an upward turn. In 1957 alone, he played the voice of reason in the brilliant jury drama 12 Angry Men (a personal project that he also coproduced), an unjustly accused robbery suspect in Alfred Hitchcock's The Wrong Man and a frontier bounty hunter in The Tin Star He then played one of his most sophisticated roles, as an amorous theatrical producer in Stage Struck (a 1958 remake of Katharine Hepburn's Morning Glory There were still some good solid roles to come-in films like The Best Man and Fail-Safe (both 1964)-and opposite Lucille Ball in the engaging family comedy Yours, Mine and Ours (1968). But too many of Fonda's 1960s films offered him glorified cameo roles, or undistinguished leads: Advise and Consent, How the West Was Won, The Longest Day (all 1962), Spencer's Mountain (1963), Sex and the Single Girl (1964), The Rounders, In Harm's Way, Battle of the Bulge (all 1965), A Big Hand for the Little Lady (1966), Welcome to Hard Times (1967), Madigan (1968). He made no bones about taking most of these assignments for the money-and to keep busy.

For sheer novelty, nothing could top his icy-cold turn as a hired killer in Sergio Leone's Once Upon a Time in the West (1968). He appeared another couple of times in cowboy garb, for 1970's EB> and The Cheyenne Social Club (the latter with James Stewart), and thereafter resigned himself to undemanding guest shots in the likes of Midway (1976), Tentacles, Rollercoaster (both 1977), The Swarm (1978), City on Fire Meteor (both 1979), and a passel of telefilms, the best of which were The Red Pony (1973) and Gideon's Trumpet (1980). His cinematic swan song, thankfully, was the genuinely moving On Golden Pond (1981), which daughter Jane produced so they could star together. His performance as a crotchety old man who is unforgiving of his grownup daughter won him his only Oscar.

Fonda starred in the TV series "The Deputy" (1959-61) and "The Smith Family" (1971-72), and guested on dozens of other shows. His celebrated one-man show on famed trial lawyer Clarence Darrow was broadcast by NBC in 1974. He also narrated many films and TV programs, from The Battle of Midway (1942) to America's Sweetheart: The Mary Pickford Story (1981). His children include actor Peter and actress Jane. In 1978 he was given a Life Achievement Award by the American Film Institute. Friends and colleagues still speak of his work with reverence and respect; he achieved what so few of them ever could on screentotal believability in every performance. His autobiography, "Fonda: My Life" was published in 1981.
    Copyright © 1994 Leonard Maltin, used by arrangement with Signet, a division of Penguin Putnam, Inc.

Filmography
    Actor
    1. Summer Solstice (1981) (TV) .... Joshua Turner
    2. On Golden Pond (1981) .... Norman Thayer Jr.
    3. Gideon's Trumpet (1980) (TV) .... Clarence Earl Gideon
    4. The Oldest Living Graduate (1980) (TV) .... Colonel J.C. Kincaid
    5. The Jilting of Granny Weatherall (1980) (TV) .... Narrator
    6. "Family"
    - Thanksgiving (1979) TV Episode .... James Lawrence
    7. Meteor (1979) .... The President
    8. Wanda Nevada (1979) .... Old Prospector
    9. City on Fire (1979) .... Chief Albert Risley
    10. "Roots: The Next Generations" (1979) (mini) TV Series .... Colonel Frederick Warner
    11. A Special Sesame Street Christmas (1978) (TV)
    12. The Swarm (1978) .... Dr. Walter Krim
    13. Fedora (1978) .... President of the Academy
    ... aka Fedora (West Germany)
    14. Home to Stay (1978) (TV) .... Grandpa George
    15. Grande attacco, Il (1978) .... General Foster
    ... aka Battle Force
    ... aka Große Offensive, Die (West Germany)
    ... aka The Battle of the Mareth Line
    ... aka The Biggest Battle (USA)
    ... aka The Great Battle
    ... aka The Greatest Battle
    16. The Last of the Cowboys (1977) .... Elegant John
    ... aka The Great Smokey Roadblock (USA: new title)
    17. Rollercoaster (1977) .... Simon Davenport
    18. Tentacoli (1977) .... Mr. Whitehead, President of Trojan Construction
    ... aka Tentacles (USA)
    19. Soldier's Home (1977) (TV) .... Host
    20. "Captains and the Kings" (1976) (mini) TV Series .... Sen. Enfield Bassett
    21. Midway (1976) .... Adm. Chester W. Nimitz
    ... aka Battle of Midway (UK)
    ... aka The Battle of Midway (USA: video title)
    22. Collision Course: Truman vs. MacArthur (1976) (TV) .... Gen. Douglas MacArthur
    ... aka Collision Course (USA: short title)
    23. Almos' a Man (1976) (TV)
    24. Clarence Darrow (1974) (TV) .... Clarence Darrow
    25. Mussolini: Ultimo atto (1974) .... Cardinal Schuster
    ... aka Mussolini: The Last Four Days
    ... aka The Last Days of Mussolini
    ... aka The Last Four Days (USA)
    ... aka The Last Tyrant
    26. Mio nome è Nessuno, Il (1973) .... Jack Beauregard
    ... aka Lonesome Gun (USA)
    ... aka Mein Name ist Nobody (West Germany)
    ... aka Mon nom est personne (France)
    ... aka My Name Is Nobody (USA)
    27. Ash Wednesday (1973) .... Mark Sawyer
    28. The Alpha Caper (1973) (TV) .... Mark Forbes
    ... aka Inside Job (UK: theatrical title)
    29. Serpent, Le (1973) .... Allan Davies
    ... aka Night Flight from Moscow (USA: reissue title)
    ... aka Schlange, Die (West Germany)
    ... aka Serpente, Il (Italy)
    ... aka The Serpent (USA)
    30. The Red Pony (1973) (TV) .... Carl Tiflin
    31. "The Smith Family" (1971) TV Series .... Det. Sgt. Chad Smith (1971-1972)
    32. Sometimes a Great Notion (1971) .... Henry Stamper
    ... aka Never Give an Inch (UK)
    33. There Was a Crooked Man... (1970) .... Woodward Lopeman
    34. The Cheyenne Social Club (1970) .... Harley Sullivan
    35. Too Late the Hero (1970) .... Capt. John G. Nolan
    ... aka Suicide Run (USA: TV title)
    36. "The Bill Cosby Show"
    - The Elevator Doesn't Stop Here Anymore (1970) TV Episode .... Joshua Richards
    37. C'era una volta il West (1968) .... Frank
    ... aka Once Upon a Time in the West (USA)
    ... aka There Was Once the West (USA: literal English title)
    38. The Boston Strangler (1968) .... John S. Bottomly
    39. Yours, Mine and Ours (1968) .... Frank Beardsley
    40. Madigan (1968) .... Commissioner Anthony X. Russell
    41. Firecreek (1968) .... Bob Larkin
    42. Stranger on the Run (1967) (TV) .... Ben Chamberlain
    ... aka Lonesome Gun
    43. Welcome to Hard Times (1967) .... Mayor Will Blue
    ... aka Killer on a Horse (UK)
    44. All About People (1967) .... Narrator
    45. A Big Hand for the Little Lady (1966) .... Meredith
    ... aka Big Deal at Dodge City (UK)
    46. Battle of the Bulge (1965) .... Lt. Col. Daniel Kiley
    47. The Dirty Game (1965) .... Dimitri Koulov
    ... aka Guerra segreta, La (Italy)
    ... aka Guerre secrète (France)
    ... aka Spione unter sich (West Germany)
    ... aka The Dirty Agents
    ... aka The Secret Agents (USA)
    48. In Harm's Way (1965) .... CINCPAC II
    49. The Rounders (1965) .... Marion 'Howdy' Lewis (bronco buster)
    50. Sex and the Single Girl (1964) .... Frank Broderick
    51. "The Bell Telephone Hour"
    - Lyrics by Oscar Hammerstein (1964) TV Episode .... Host
    52. Fail-Safe (1964) .... The President
    53. The Best Man (1964) .... William Russell
    ... aka Gore Vidal's The Best Man (USA: complete title)
    54. Spencer's Mountain (1963) .... Clay Spencer
    55. "The Dick Powell Show"
    ... aka The Dick Powell Theatre (new title)
    - Tissue of Hate (1963) TV Episode .... Dr. Victor Fallon
    56. How the West Was Won (1962) .... Jethro Stuart
    57. The Longest Day (1962) .... Brig. Gen. Theodore Roosevelt Jr.
    58. Advise & Consent (1962) .... Robert Leffingwell
    59. San Francisco Fire (1962) (voice) .... Narrator
    60. "The Deputy" (1959) TV Series .... Marshal Simon Fry (1959-1961)
    61. The Man Who Understood Women (1959) .... Willie Bauche
    62. Warlock (1959) .... Clay Blaisedell
    ... aka Shoot Out at Warlock (USA: reissue title)
    63. Stage Struck (1958) .... Lewis Easton
    64. Movietone Adventure: Rangers of Yellowstone (1958) .... Narrator
    65. The Tin Star (1957) .... Morg Hickman
    66. 12 Angry Men (1957) .... Juror #8/Mr. Davis
    67. The Wrong Man (1956) .... Manny Balestrero
    68. War and Peace (1956) .... Pierre Bezukhov
    ... aka Guerra e pace (Italy)
    69. Mister Roberts (1955) .... Lt. (j.g.) Douglas A. 'Doug' Roberts
    70. "General Electric Theater"
    ... aka G.E. Theatre (USA)
    - The Clown (1955) TV Episode .... Emmett Kelly
    71. "Producers' Showcase"
    - The Petrified Forest (????) TV Episode .... Alan Squier
    72. "Medallion Theatre"
    - The Decision at Arrowsmith (????) TV Episode
    73. Jigsaw (1949) (uncredited) .... Cameo appearance (nightclub waiter)
    ... aka Gun Moll (USA: reissue title)
    74. Fort Apache (1948) .... Lt. Col. Owen Thursday
    ... aka War Party
    75. On Our Merry Way (1948) .... Lank Skolsky
    ... aka A Miracle Can Happen (USA)
    76. Daisy Kenyon (1947) .... Peter Lapham
    77. The Fugitive (1947) .... A Fugitive
    ... aka Fugitivo, El (Mexico)
    78. The Long Night (1947) .... Joe Adams
    79. My Darling Clementine (1946) .... Wyatt Earp
    ... aka John Ford's My Darling Clementine (USA: complete title)
    80. The Ox-Bow Incident (1943) .... Gil Carter
    ... aka Strange Incident (UK)
    81. Immortal Sergeant (1943) .... Cpl. Colin Spence
    82. The Big Street (1942) .... Agustus 'Little Pinks' Pinkerton, II
    83. Tales of Manhattan (1942) .... George
    84. The Magnificent Dope (1942) .... Thadeus Winship 'Tad' Page
    85. The Male Animal (1942) .... Prof. Tommy Turner
    86. Rings on Her Fingers (1942) .... John Wheeler
    87. You Belong to Me (1941) .... Peter Kirk
    ... aka Good Morning, Doctor (UK)
    88. Wild Geese Calling (1941) .... John Murdock
    89. The Lady Eve (1941) .... Charles Pike
    90. Chad Hanna (1940) .... Chad Hanna
    91. The Return of Frank James (1940) .... Frank James, aka Ben Woodson
    92. Lillian Russell (1940) .... Alexander Moore
    93. The Grapes of Wrath (1940) .... Tom Joad
    94. Drums Along the Mohawk (1939) .... Gilbert 'Gil' Martin
    95. Young Mr. Lincoln (1939) .... Abraham Lincoln
    96. The Story of Alexander Graham Bell (1939) .... Thomas Watson
    ... aka The Modern Miracle (UK)
    97. Let Us Live! (1939) .... 'Brick' Tennant
    98. Jesse James (1939) .... Frank James
    99. The Mad Miss Manton (1938) .... Peter Ames
    100. Spawn of the North (1938) .... Jim Kimmerlee
    101. Blockade (1938) .... Marco
    102. Jezebel (1938) .... Preston Dillard
    103. I Met My Love Again (1938) .... Ives Towner
    104. That Certain Woman (1937) .... Jack V. Merrick, Jr.
    105. Slim (1937) .... Slim Kincaid
    106. You Only Live Once (1937) .... Eddie Taylor
    107. Wings of the Morning (1937) .... Kerry Gilfallen
    108. Spendthrift (1936) .... Townsend Middleton
    109. The Moon's Our Home (1936) .... Anthony Amberton/John Smith
    110. The Trail of the Lonesome Pine (1936) .... Dave Tolliver
    111. I Dream Too Much (1935) .... Jonathan 'Johnny' Street
    112. Way Down East (1935) .... David Bartlett
    113. The Farmer Takes a Wife (1935) .... Dan Harrow

Miscellaneous Crew
    1. Directed by John Ford (1971) (thanks)
    2. Western Union (1941) (technical advisor) (uncredited)

Producer
    1. "The Deputy" (1959) TV Series (producer)
    2. 12 Angry Men (1957) (producer)

Himself
    1. "Biography"
    - Henry Fonda: Hollywood's Quiet Hero (1997) TV Episode .... Himself
    2. The 53rd Annual Academy Awards (1981) (TV) .... Himself - Honorary Award Recipient
    3. Starring Katharine Hepburn (1981) (TV) .... Himself
    4. Henry Fonda and the Making of 'Summer Solstice' (1981) (TV) .... Himself
    5. The Man That Corrupted Hadleyburg (1980) (TV) (uncredited) .... Himself
    6. The American Film Institute Salute to James Stewart (1980) (TV) .... Host
    7. The Golden Honeymoon (1980) (TV) .... Himself (introduction)
    8. Bob Hope's Overseas Christmas Tours: Around the World with the Troops - 1941-1972 (1980) (TV) .... Himself
    9. Sharks: The Death Machine (1980) (TV) .... Narrator
    10. The Greatest Man in the World (1980) (TV) .... Himself (Introduction)
    11. The Kennedy Center Honors: A Celebration of the Performing Arts (1979) (TV) .... Himself (Honoree)
    12. The 33rd Annual Tony Awards (1979) (TV) .... Himself - Co-host
    13. The American Film Institute Salute to Alfred Hitchcock (1979) (TV) .... Himself
    14. A Salute to American Imagination (1978) (TV) .... Himself
    15. General Electric's All-Star Anniversary (1978) (TV) .... Himself
    16. America's Sweetheart: The Mary Pickford Story (1978) (voice) .... Narrator
    17. The American Film Institute Salute to Henry Fonda (1978) (TV) .... Himself
    18. "Leaders of the Twentieth Century" (1978) TV Series (voice) .... Narrator
    19. Inside 'The Swarm' (1978) (TV) .... Himself
    20. The American Film Institute Salute to Bette Davis (1977) (TV) .... Himself
    21. Life Goes to the Movies (1976) (TV) .... Himself/Host
    22. The American Film Institute Presents a Salute to William Wyler (1976) (TV) .... Himself
    ... aka The 4th American Film Institute Life Achievement Award: A Salute to William Wyler (USA: complete title)
    23. "Maude"
    - Maude's Mood: Part 2 (1976) TV Episode .... Himself
    - Maude's Mood: Part 1 (1976) TV Episode .... Himself
    24. The Glory Road West (1976) (TV) .... Narrator
    25. "Parkinson"
    - Episode #5.10 (1975) TV Episode .... Himself
    26. The Dean Martin Celebrity Roast: Lucille Ball (1975) (TV) .... Himself
    27. "All in the Family"
    ... aka Those Were the Days (USA: pilot title)
    - The Best of All in the Family (1974) TV Episode .... Himself
    28. "The Dean Martin Show"
    ... aka The Dean Martin Comedy Hour (new title)
    - Celebrity Roast: Bette Davis (1973) TV Episode .... Himself
    29. "The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson"
    ... aka The Best of Carson (USA: rerun title)
    - Episode dated 21 August 1973 (1973) TV Episode .... Himself
    30. The American Film Institute Salute to John Ford (1973) (TV) .... Himself
    31. "V.I.P.-Schaukel"
    - Episode #2.6 (1972) TV Episode .... Himself
    32. The American West of John Ford (1971) (TV) .... Himself/Narrator
    ... aka The Great American West of John Ford
    33. Directed by John Ford (1971) (uncredited) .... Himself

34. To Save a Soldier (1969) (voice) .... Narrator
    35. An Impression of John Steinbeck: Writer (1969) .... Himself
    ... aka An Impression of John Steinbeck
    ... aka Steinbeck
    36. Hollywood: The Selznick Years (1969) (TV) .... Narrator
    37. Beans, Bullets, and Black Oil (1968) .... Narrator
    38. "The Kraft Music Hall"
    - Give My Regards to Broadway (1967) TV Episode .... Himself
    39. Born to Buck (1966) .... Narrator
    40. "What's My Line?"
    - Episode dated 12 June 1966 (1966) TV Episode .... Mystery Guest
    - Episode dated 3 October 1965 (1965) TV Episode .... Mystery Guest
    - Episode dated 13 September 1964 (1964) TV Episode .... Mystery Guest
    - Episode dated 15 January 1961 (1961) TV Episode .... Mystery Guest
    41. NBC White Paper: The Age of Kennedy - Part I, The Early Years (1966) (TV) (voice) .... John F. Kennedy
    ... aka NBC White Papers: The Kennedy Era - The Early Years (USA: video box title)
    42. The Really Big Family (1966) .... Himself and Narrator
    43. "Toast of the Town"
    ... aka The Ed Sullivan Show (new title)
    - Episode #15.26 (1962) TV Episode .... Charles Christian Wertenbaker
    - Episode #14.18 (1961) TV Episode .... Actor - Dramatic Reading
    - Episode #10.29 (1957) TV Episode .... Himself
    - Episode #8.40 (1955) TV Episode .... Himself
    - Episode #6.47 (1953) TV Episode .... Himself
    (1 more)
    44. The Fabulous Fifties (1960) (voice) .... Narrator (segment "Fifties Dead Sequence")
    45. Henry Fonda and the Family (1960) (TV) .... Himself

46. "The Steve Allen Show"
    ... aka The Steve Allen Plymouth Show (USA: new title)
    - Episode dated 2 February 1958 (1958) TV Episode .... Himself
    47. Eight Steps to Peace (1957) .... Narrator
    48. "Henry Fonda Presents the Star and the Story" (1955) TV Series .... Himself/Host
    ... aka The Henry Fonda Show (USA)
    49. Main Street to Broadway (1953) .... Himself
    50. Pictura (1951) .... Himself (narrator)
    ... aka Pictura: Adventure in Art (USA)
    51. Benjy (1951) (voice) .... Narrator

52. On Stage! (1949) .... Himself
    ... aka The March of Time: On Stage! (USA)
    53. It's Everybody's War (1942) .... Narrator
    54. The Battle of Midway (1942) (voice) .... Narrator (dialogue)
    55. Meet the Stars: Hollywood Meets the Navy (1941) .... Himself, Henry Fonda
    ... aka Hollywood Meets the Navy (USA: short title)
    56. Great Hollywood Memories, Vol. III (????) (V) .... Host
    57. Great Hollywood Memories, Vol. II (????) (V) .... Host

Archive Footage

1. Marató 2005, La (2005) (TV) .... Norman Thayer Jr.
    2. Roma (2004) .... Tom Joad
    3. An Opera of Violence (2003) (V) .... Himself
    4. The Making of 'Midway' (2001) (V) .... Admiral Chester Nimitz
    5. AFI's 100 Years, 100 Thrills: America's Most Heart-Pounding Movies (2001) (TV) .... Himself
    6. The Best of Hollywood (1998) (TV) .... Interview
    7. Henry Fonda: Hollywood's Quiet Hero (1997) (TV) .... Himself
    8. Classe américaine, La (1993) .... Hugues
    9. Fonda on Fonda (1992) (TV) .... Himself
    10. Gunfighters of the Old West (1992) (V) (uncredited) .... Wyatt Earp
    11. Hollywood Remembers: Myrna Loy - So Nice to Come Home to (1991) (TV) .... Himself
    12. John Ford (1990) (TV) (uncredited) .... Abraham Lincoln/Tom Joad/Wyatt Earp/Lt. Col. Owen Thursday
    13. Margret Dünser, auf der Suche nach den Besonderen (1981) (TV) .... Himself
    14. "Toast of the Town"
    - Episode #23.23 (1970) TV Episode .... Himself - Singer
    - Episode #16.38 (1963) TV Episode .... Lt. Roberts
    - Episode #10.25 (1957) TV Episode .... Himself
    - Episode #6.11 (1952) TV Episode .... Himself
    15. Land of Liberty (1939) .... Preston Dillard (edited from: Jezebel)

Watch Henry Fonda Full Movies and Trailers in:-

Henry's Video Gallery

Here is one, narrating John Ford's The Battle of Midway-

The Battle Of Midway

The Battle of Midway

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 9 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• Henry Fonda, great team member of the John Ford drinking clan,
    as Henry said about Duke

Like Ford, it was impossible for him to say two sentences,
    without using the words, that would put a dockworker to shame

Duke, and Henry became lifetime friends.
    He made 4 films, involving Duke:-

In Harm's Way(1965) .... CINCPAC II
    How The West Was Won(1962) .... Jethro Stuart(not in the same scenes)
    The Longest Day(1962) .... Brig. Gen. Theodore Roosevelt Jr.(not in the same scenes)
    Fort Apache(1948) .... Lt. Col. Owen Thursday

Henry was in attendence at Duke's wedding to Josephine, and they remained,
    good friends and drinking buddies, throughout their lives.

There are many documented stories, about the antics aboard the good ship Araner.
    After the filming of Fort Apache , for example John Ford sailed for Mazatlan,
    Duke, Henry Fonda and Ward Bond met him there, and the three men,
    toured the Mexican hotspots, until Ford's alcoholism temporarily incapacitated him.

Apart from the family,Henry Fonda, along with President Carter, and a handful of friends were the only ones allowed to enter Duke's hospital room, during his final hours.
    Henry, was admitted, only after he swore, he would wait all night if necessary!.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited once, last by ethanedwards ().

• Henry Fonda said that his favorite films he made were 'The Grapes of Wrath', 'The Ox-Bow Incident', and '12 Angry Men'. I agree these were all great films, but I would also have to add 'Fort Apache' to that list. I love hearing him ask a sergeant to 'pour me some scripture'.

-ncb

My heroes have always been cowboys.

• Does somebody happen to know if Duke saw "Once upon a time in the West", and if, what did he think about Hank's part in it? I can guess what he thought, and I know he didn't understand Leone's westerns, but it would be interesting to know by his own words.

I don't believe in surrenders.

• Hi all.

Keith, thanks for this great insight into Henry Fonda.
    Although I have watched his movies over the years,
    and have enjoyed them, he wouldn't be in my top ten
    male actors list. I have never read anything about him
    other than in books about Duke.

Emmanuel.

Emmanuel.

I'll try one of those black beers....THE QUIET MAN.

• Fonda did a lot of movies that I like and this is great info, thanks Keith and Mrs. C

Cheers B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Keith, Jim/Sue, thanks to you all for your hard work in making this great presentation about Henry Fonda. I learn more and more about some of my favorite movie personalities every time I read something from you all.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• To me, Henry Fonda always seem to play 'honourable' roles with the exception of Once Upon A Time In The West

I quite enjoy his movies, especially his early films

• I think I liked him best in a man called nobody or perhaps in Rounders, also in Sometimes a great notion.

Greetings from North of the 49th

• one of the greatest film actors of all time would be 103 yrs old today.i think when i get home tonight i'll put on MISTER ROBERTS then watch 12 ANGRY MEN.

''baby sister i was born game and intend to go out that way.''

• Great news for Henry Fonda fans! (And fans of all the others who worked on the show.)

The Deputy - The Complete Series (1959)
    Starring: Henry Fonda, Allen Case, Read Morgan, Betty Lou Keim, Wallace Ford, Phil Tully, Addison Richards, Vito Scotti, Kermit Maynard, Robert Osterloh, Don Heitgerd, Denver Pyle, Clu Gulager, James Coburn, Stacy Keach, Alan Hale Jr., Lee Van Cleef
    Director: David Butler, Tay Garnett, Sidney Lanfield
    Genre: Television, Western
    Year: 1959
    Studio: Timeless Media Group
    Release Date: October 26, 2010

SYNOPSIS:
    Timeless Media Group and NBC Universal are proud to present all 76 episodes of The Deputy starring Henry Fonda and Allen Case.

Marshal Simon Fry (Henry Fonda) is a lawman who will do whatever it takes to keep the peace in Silver City, AZ and Fry’s sometimes reluctant deputy, Clay McCord (Allen Case), is a sharp shooting storekeeper who shuns violence whenever he can, but who is persuaded to step in to help the aging Silver City Marshal (Wallace Ford) when Simon is out of town.

Other recurring roles are played by veteran western actors, Read Morgan, Phil Tully and Addison Richards. Many guest stars join the cast, James Coburn, Stacy Keach, Alan Hale, Jr, Lee Van Cleef and many more. The Deputy was produced by Norman Lear (All in the Family) and features a great jazz guitar score by Jack Marshall.

• Thanks for the post Paula,
    pity Henry was not in more of the episodes,
    and although billed as the star, as the title suggests,
    it was all about The Deputy played by Allen Case.
    Apparently at the time Fonda fans were disappointed to
    see that Henry was only seen in a third of the episodes,
    and most of those, only briefly!

I have now profiled this series
    Classic TV Westerns- The Deputy

From IMDb

"That was the Arizona territory in 1880, and I was its chief marshal." So began this western series starring Henry Fonda as Simon Fry. Unfortunately, Fonda's character was fully integrated into the plot in only six of the episodes of the first season and thirteen in season two. In all other episodes he appeared only briefly, generally at the start of the episode and again at the close. Fonda did narrate most episodes. Fonda worked for ten weeks on season one, for example, shooting all of his scenes during that time, which left the rest of the year free for film and theater work. While Allen Case tried hard as the title character, Clay McCord, the series is well- known for the substantial differences in quality between what the series producers (and Fonda himself) came to call the "Fonda" and "Non- Fonda" episodes.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 2 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• A note about Hank Fonda. He's often misunderstood (like our good friend, JW), but his son Peter seemed to sum it up best, when he was asked to describe what Hank was like as a dad, Peter replied "Did you ever see "Fort Apache?" THAT was what was dad was like as a father!!!"

OUCH!!! Jane has pretty much agreed with that assessment as well.

It doesn't matter to me, as he will ALWAYS be Tom Joad, Young Abe Lincoln, Col. Thursday, CINCPAC, and all those other wonderful characters he brought to life on the silver screen...

• henry fonda is a legend in film.he was great in anything he was in.always gave a great performance in any film he was in.he is especially good in fort apache,the tin star,the ox-bow incident,12 angry men and on golden pond.he could any part in any genre.one of my favourite actors.