Last Non Western You Watched

There are 8,505 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 2,280,975 times. The latest Post () was by OriginalMexicanBob.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Rocklin: dambusters"
    We were in England in 1995 for 3 weeks. I went to an Airfield on the north side of London there were displays of old airplalnes. They were featuring "Dam Busters", I read all the signs and love the technical story of how the Engineer tasked with making the bomb to use on the Dams did it. He saw a child's water play toy and designed the bombs so they would spin when dropped and stay in the water and sink to the bottom of the dam.
    I have just recorded the movie to see in the near future. Great Story, like so many out of WWII are.

The Derwent Dam that they practiced on is not far from where I live, The world's only flying Lancaster makes a low pass over the Derwent Dam, with living so close I usually see it coming over.

many a time I have seen

• Spent my evening watching Reach For The Sky starring Kenneth More & Muriel Pavlow. The true story of airman Douglas Bader who overcame the loss of both legs in a 1931 flying accident to become a successful fighter pilot and wing leader during World War II.

• My goodness Tommy, didn't know you could fly without your feet....must be like a car. Have to look this up and see where to find it. They ever fix the sketch framing to your liking? Was hoping to put it up as the first multiple framed. KEITH

Spent my evening watching Reach For The Sky starring Kenneth More & Muriel Pavlow. The true story of airman Douglas Bader who overcame the loss of both legs in a 1931 flying accident to become a successful fighter pilot and wing leader during World War II.

God, she reminds me of me! DUKE

• My goodness Tommy, didn't know you could fly without your feet....must be like a car. Have to look this up and see where to find it. They ever fix the sketch framing to your liking? Was hoping to put it up as the first multiple framed. KEITH

Taking the frame back to shop next time we go up Town with the car don't fancy carrying it up through the snow, had a word with the framers she said to bring it back in and we'll do it how you want it.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0046035/bio

• Funny Arthur, Just wondered why you don't answer anything I write? Guess I just never post anything interesting? Anyway, still glad you are hanging around some..........nice to see more than one or two mods every once in a while. KEITH

God, she reminds me of me! DUKE

• The Devils Brigade was my choice last night was based on a true story, starring William Holden & Cliff Robertson.
    The Devils Brigade officially the 1st Special Service Force), was an elite, joint World War II American-Canadian commando unit organized in 1942 and trained at Fort William Henry Harrison near Helena, Montana in the United States.

• Always liked "The Devil's Brigade".
    I finally saw John Ford's 1934 film "Judge Priest" and I'm not sure what to say about it. Tried to view at as a product of it's time, even though the events happen in 1890.
    There are some very good moments (including describing an imbiber's breath as smelling like a hot mince pie), but the jaw dropping, mawkish sentiment toward former slaves as happily singing, baking, cooking mammies and shiftless chicken theiving layabouts is too much, even for John Ford.

We deal in lead, friend.

• The Devils Brigade was my choice last night was based on a true story, starring William Holden & Cliff Robertson.
    The Devils Brigade officially the 1st Special Service Force), was an elite, joint World War II American-Canadian commando unit organized in 1942 and trained at Fort William Henry Harrison near Helena, Montana in the United States.

One of my favorite war movies but--a lot of the movie was bollocks too. The Americans were NOT---the sweepings from the road and troublemakers. Most of them that volunteered for that unit were strictly professionals as the Canadians were. Its for crud like what hollywood THINKS is history and truth? really rips my _ss raw.

One thing that hollywoodland got correct in a movie or two--was that Gen Mark Clark wasnt much of a General.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Always liked "The Devil's Brigade".
    I finally saw John Ford's 1934 film "Judge Priest" and I'm not sure what to say about it. Tried to view at as a product of it's time, even though the events happen in 1890.
    There are some very good moments (including describing an imbiber's breath as smelling like a hot mince pie), but the jaw dropping, mawkish sentiment toward former slaves as happily singing, baking, cooking mammies and shiftless chicken theiving layabouts is too much, even for John Ford.

We deal in lead, friend.

I will see if I can download Judge Priest and see what it is like.

“You're short on ears and long on mouth.”
    John Wayne

• There are some good old war movies about that are worth a look, last night my choice was "Merril's Marauders" another one based on a true story, I seem to be on a war movies rush at the moment.

“Now you understand. Anything goes wrong, anything at all… your fault, my fault, nobody’s fault… it don’t matter…I’m gonna blow your head off. It’s as simple as that.” – Big Jake

• There are some good old war movies about that are worth a look, last night my choice was "Merril's Marauders" another one based on a true story, I seem to be on a war movies rush at the moment.

“Now you understand. Anything goes wrong, anything at all… your fault, my fault, nobody’s fault… it don’t matter…I’m gonna blow your head off. It’s as simple as that.” – Big Jake

Same here. I just ordered four more war movies and a Western. Also, Merrills Marauders is a great movie. The MM Vets Org were the first ones offered DvDs and for awhile before they were available on the market--you could only get them through the MM Vets Org site. Im a honorary member of the MM and I got my copy free--as two of the Marauders chipped in and bought me a copy of it for my birthday a few years ago ;-))

PS, that Big Jake quote is one of my favorite of Dukes lines in any movie he made. Good choice!!!

• Gorch:"Judge Priest"-sentiment toward former slaves as happily singing, baking, cooking mammies and shiftless chicken theiving layabouts is too much, even for John Ford.

In 2013 it's pretty easy to judge something done in the early 1930's. It's harder to Judge it correctly from this far away,they grew up in different times,with different backgrounds, and different pressures on them when making the movie.
    If we were black in the 1890's, and that white guy over us could sell us at any time and send us away from everything we knew.
    We might be doing just what the blacks were doing in this movie.
    The other thing is, most blacks had faith in God. Most people with those beliefs,believe it's better to be happy instead of letting the things weigh you down even though their pain was great. The movie may be accurate ,and John Ford may have portrayed their ways correctly.

"A people that values their Privileges above it's Principles. Soon looses both." Dwight Eisenhower

Edited 5 times, last by colkid60 ().

• That Tartars w/ Orson Wells and Victor Mature. Normally as a rule---I HATE---dubbed movies like this one as it was Italian made, but--there was good enough Direction and acting on most parts--to make it watchable. Anyway, since I bought it? it's a keeper. There is enough action and pretty babes to keep one interested.

The Chieftan & The Khan:

• Last night we watched Flashpoint starring Kris Kristofferson as a Border Patrol Agent. Then much later I watched "The Dirty Dozen The Next Mission" and "The Dirty Dozen Deadly Mission starring Telly Savalas who took the role of the Major from Lee Marvin.

“Well, son, since you haven’t learned to respect your elders, it’s time you learned to respect your betters.” – Big Jake