Last Non Western You Watched

There are 8,505 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 2,330,282 times. The latest Post () was by OriginalMexicanBob.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Battleground is a 1949 American war film that tells the story of a company in the 327th Glider Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne Division trying to cope with the Siege of Bastogne during the Battle of the Bulge in World War II. It stars Van Johnson, John Hodiak, Ricardo Montalban and George Murphy, and features James Whitmore. directed by William Wellman.

Enjoyed this movie last night made me giggle a little at the one liners they came out with, but the action was very good worth a look if you ever come by it.

“All battles are fought by scared men who'd rather be some place else.”
    John Wayne

• Battleground is a 1949 American war film that tells the story of a company in the 327th Glider Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne Division trying to cope with the Siege of Bastogne during the Battle of the Bulge in World War II. It stars Van Johnson, John Hodiak, Ricardo Montalban and George Murphy, and features James Whitmore. directed by William Wellman.

Enjoyed this movie last night made me giggle a little at the one liners they came out with, but the action was very good worth a look if you ever come by it.

“All battles are fought by scared men who'd rather be some place else.”
    John Wayne

Great movie aint it? It's THE movie when it comes to the Screaming Eagles and the Battle of the Bulge.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• At Swords Point w/ Cornel Wilde, Maureen O'Hara, Alan Hale Jr and Dan O'Herlihy. This movie is worthy of having and in every sense of the meaning of the word. Not a flaw to be seen and, Cornel Wilde--had hollywood been nicer to him? COULD have easily rivaled Errol Flynn when it came to making these kinds of pictures. Alan Hale Jr did a great job too as well as the cast. Maureen O'Hara as Claire--Daughter of one of the 4th Musketeer---was excellent to say the least. Wilde, O'Herlihy and Hale--were the Sons of the Three Musketeers.

DvD cover:

Edited once, last by The Ringo Kid ().

• The latest episodes of Vegas, Justified, and the horror movie "Mama". I enjoyed the TV episodes of those 2 shows, and the movie was ok til the ending.

• A horrible movie which just might qualify as one of the all time worst, The Target (2002) which stars Dennis Hopper and Christopher Lambert.
    No redeeming qualities, stay far far away. unless of course you are like me and just have to follow a certain actor to what seems to be the very depths of cinematic hell.

I give it 0/10 stars.

• We went with friends to see "The Gangster Squad" and we were all floored. It was a lively, highly violent, stylized and well acted tale of 1949 corruption in California. Sure, it was all bull, but it was well done and sucked all of us into the story.
    As soon as the good guys squad was starting to be formed, we were in Magnificent Seven territory combined with "L.A.Confidential".
    Great way to spend a snowy Saturday afternoon.

We deal in lead, friend.

• Late last night as it was on TCM and I HAD been considering buying it sight unseen--but now glad I didnt. I saw: Moonfleet w/ George Sanders and a few "recognizable faces" like: Jack Elam being in it.

The name of the movie is a BIG BIG BBBBBIIIIGGGGGG misconception of what one would think the movie was about. Ive never been a fan of Stewart Granger--I dont dislkie him but dont care for em either. Anyway, to give he and George Sanders credit-they both acted well in the movie made on the coast of Kalifornia.

However--the movie starts out VVEEERRRYYY slow and stays slow for most of it but only changed when there is any type of action involved. NO--thsi IS NOT--I repeat--this movie is NOT--of the type that Errol Flynn, Douglas Fairbanks Jr, Cornel Wilde, Robert Taylor and such made. I was disappointed in that you never laid eyes on a ""Moonfleet"" which the name to me says--Pirate ships galore--but in this case--Moonfleet was some Inn where Rum smugglers and such met and or hid at.

John Hoyt--was great as the head Police Constable. I THINK--Michale Pate was in ti? cant remember? and a British actor im familiar with but cant think of his full name? is in it as one of the bad guys who gets offed fairly early on by Granger. Also, Barton MacLane is in it as a Pirate Captain and does look great in the role.

However, unless you feel the NEEEEEEED to waste money buying the DvD? then go for it. The only way I would own this movie is if I could buy it for maybe a full Dollar.

John Hoyt (in uniform)

AYRE!!! the Pirates of ""Moonfleet"" :lol::lol:

John ALderson??? holding the kid:

Finally found a pix with Jack Elam in it--2nd from right:

Inspecting a Company of British Soldiers--some sort of a Home Guard Regiment? Costumes looked good and was the best thing in the movie:

One who COULD have made this movie better had he been in it:

Edited 2 times, last by The Ringo Kid ().

• This afternoon, saw: King Richard and the Crusades w/ George Sanders, Lawrence Harvey, Michael Pate, Virginia Mayo and Rex Harrison. Never seen it before but--this was pretty good and maybe worthy of a later Errol Flynn movie. Not bad--great production, great acting, lots of great action--and every thing I could hope for in a movie like this. End result--definitely worthy of being in any "good" DvD collection.

Lawrence Harvey and the man that would be (and was) Saladin:

King Richard (Sanders) and his buddy (Harvey)

Most of a set of lobbies:

This movie is almost good enough to have him in it:

• Watched a TCM movie that was DVR'd a few days ago. From 1968 and titled "The Split" it was based on a Richard Stark novel which was a pen name for Donald E. Westlake, one of the brightest and funniest writers of caper movies. The Stark novels usually focus on a professional thief named Parker, who has his own quirky code of honor.
    Previous Parker inspired films include Lee Marvin in "Point Blank", Mel Gibson in "Payback", Robert Duvall in "The Outfit" and "Slayground". He is maniacally focused on obtaining just his fair share of the heist, which has always gone awry after careful planning and execution.
    Anyway, "The Split" had a stellar cast, including three from "The Dirty Dozen" - Jim Brown, Ernest Borgnine, and Donald Sutherland. Warren Oates is also in the mix, so he and Borgnine represent next year's "The Wild Bunch". Also present are James Whitmore and Gene Hackman.
    There's some cheesy sunset walks on the beach that were in vogue that year, but it's only 90 minutes long and the heist and aftermath are watchable.

We deal in lead, friend.

• Well, I finally watched: Pathfinders: In the Company of Strangers. The guys at the USmilitariaforums.com knocked it a bit but--I thought it was OK--not worth paying a sawbuck for but--not too bad at all. After all, they DID have original period vehicles like Jeeps, motorcycles, trucks, DC Transport aircraft etc--so it wasnt THAT bad. The action--is pretty good when you get it--but still, for a "no name" cast and such--I think they did well in effort. Its watchable ESPECIALLY if you are into War Movies. Now-I would like to see a bigger budgeted and KNOWN cast in another make of their story--but this time using the Troopers from the Screaming Eagles--mainly-_Sergeant Jake McNiece's bunch.

• The Desert Rats w/ Richard Burton, James Mason, Robert Newton and Torin Thatcher. I never get tired of seeing the "Rats" kick DAK behinds.

W/ Robert Newton:

Little Tammy McRoberts:

Great observation bunker view:

The Heneralfeldmarshall himself--image from: The Desert Fox and NOT--The Desert Rats:

The Real Rommel:

Great end of movie image of some of McRobert's "Rats"

Classic British Officer look:

Rats .30 cal MG-team:

The last German attack before the relief column from Egypt arrived:

W/ Sergeant "Blue"

• Last night I watched Ice Cold In Alex 1958 starring Sir John Mills, Anthony Quayle, Sylvia Syms and Harry Andrews, based on a true story.

Great film. Last time I saw it was when it was played on A&E Network and was back in the early to mid 80s.