Spooky John Wayne Scenes

There are 16 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 11,209 times. The latest Post () was by gt12pak.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Hi All

This is a rather difficult question as John Wayne never made any horror movies, but what I would like to know is what scene from any of his movies do you feel was quite unnerving, dark, and grim etc.

On another note do you feel there is a film in particular that fits this criteria that would make an ideal movie to watch on Halloween night.

Here is my nomination: 'The Cowboys'.

The appearance of Derns gang in the distance 2/3 of the way through the movie. The music gets very grim and Duke looks at the gang after being told who they are by one of the Cowboys and we can see the look of anguish and uneasiness in his eyes. This all sets up very nicely for Derns assault which lives up to the excellent build up.

Robbie
    :agent:

Regards
    Robbie

• Hi,

Duke made two spooky movies in the early days.

[ATTACH]947]...Duke with Sheila Terry

Haunted Gold- 1932

Involving 'The Phantom'
    with ghost like figures, featuring
    hilarious actor Blue Washington

Blue Washington, added some great comedy,
    in this captivating story of a ghost house!!

and another

Randy Rides Alone- 1934

An eerie start greets Duke in this spooky story,
    as he enters a saloon strewn with bodies, but a piano still playing.
    With a secret door, and real eyes looking out of pictures,
    hung on the wall, this is a spooky one too!

Possibly,

The Hurricane Express- 1932

The mask bits, were a bit spooky!!

• I think we have to face the fact that there is not a duke for all saesons. Halloween being one particular holiday that we may not be able to enjoy a special movie that fits the bill.

I have seen Randy Rides Alone and while the begining may be a little creepy and disturbing, it doesn't really come off in a unsettling way. Now, I will blame the music for that or lack there of. Music is what really makes something grip you and on all those old westerns from the thirties, you were lucky if you got any music besides the opening theme.

I have seen more than forty of John Wayne's films and can't think of one that is actually spooky (though I haven't seen Haunted Gold yet).

Having said all that, I would love to be proven wrong.

[SIZE=3]That'll Be The Day[/SIZE]

Originally posted by dc65@Oct 23 2006, 05:47 PM

I have seen more than forty of John Wayne's films and can't think of one that is actually spooky (though I haven't seen Haunted Gold yet).

Having said all that, I would love to be proven wrong.

[snapback]36276[/snapback]

Well then you should watch Haunted Gold because I think it is the winner in the John Wayne spooky movie contest. Ok, it's so dated it's not really spooky anymore (watch it to see what I mean) but it's also a lot of fun.

Regards
    Popol Vuh

• The Shootist.....

It's not a spooky movie or a scary movie...but it makes me feel uneasy just knowing that it was Duke's last movie...and he dies in it.

I have it in my DVD collection, but I can't bring myself to watch it.

• I too have a tough time trying to think of a scary or spooky Duke film.

But one particular scene comes to mind that is dark and rather frightening. Its from "The Searchers". Its the scene where Ethan and Martin go to the soldiers fort in the winter to see if Debbie was part of the indians that were brouht into the Fort after the soldiers raided a indian camp. When Ethan and Martin are looking over the white girls to see if one is Debbie or not, Duke gets that look on his face of pure hatred/evil/disgust when that one girl is screaming and hollering. Now that was some fine acting, as I thought Ethan was the most brutal person you could ever want to meet.

That is the scariest thing that I can think of.

Oh yeah, the scene in True Grit were Kim Darby falls into the snake pit, that was scary to me when I was a kid. But not now.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• Hi Todd

That is a good scene its very disturbing, tense and well acted.

One other scene in this mould thats worth mentioning is the scene in Red River when Duke is reading at Harry Carey funeral and a cloud appears in the background as a metaphor for the violence that is about to take place, in addition to this the music starts to get grim, a great scene.

Robbie
    :agent:

Regards
    Robbie

• Maybe not a really scary movie, but I think that perhaps the Conqueror would be a good halloween film.

I think it fits pretty well, because it's kind of like JW is playing dress up.

• I know it's a little after Halloween now, but I just watched Sheppard of the Hills and while it's not super scary, I really beleive it's the creepiest (in parts) that I have seen. The mountain folk are quite superstitious and that lends an edge to it.

• I would also have to say that the Shootist is my pick. I really wonder how much was acting and how much was the reality of the day. I believe that if he had a choice it would have been to leave life as JB Books chose to do so.

The only thing that died in the bed was his Tombstone. He died in a blaze of gunfire ridding the town of the undesirables.

The only time you bow down to someone is when you bend over to help them up!

• John wayne did not make many what are Called "Spooky" Films, but in the old black and white days Duke did One Film "Haunted Gold" that might be called Spooky .
    :devil:
    Below is a Old Promo for that Film .
    :wink_smile:
    Chilibill
    :cowboy:

[extendedmedia]

[/extendedmedia]

• I watched a Duke movie the other day The Searchers which i think is one of the best movies he ever made. What makes it so interesting is it is the only movie he wore a confederate uniform in. The movie is one of my favorites and always will be, but to tell you the truth i like all of his movies except the ones he dies inand i remember when i was small i would get so mad because my favorite actor just died. As we all know that as long as we are around The Duke will never die. To tell you the truth when my son was born we named him Patrick Wayne after his son and as long as i am alive or my son The Duke Lives Forever.

• Going back to The Searchers, there's a scene early in the movie that makes me feel sort of uneasy. Remember after Ethan had left with the others and the Comanche were bearing down on his brothers home? That's one scene that kinda made feel at unease.....if that makes any sense.

Stay thirsty my friends.