Gene Autry Cowboy Code

There are 12 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 5,200 times. The latest Post () was by kilo 6.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Here is Gene Autry's Cowboy Code:

1. The Cowboy must never shoot first, hit a smaller man or take unfair advantage.
    2. He must never go back on his word, or a trust confided in him.
    3. He must always tell the truth.
    4. He must be gentle with children, the elderly and animals.
    5. He must not advocate or possess racially or religiously intolerant ideas.
    6. He must help people in distress.
    7. He must be a good worker.
    8. He must keep himself clean in thought, speech, action and personal habits.
    9. He must respect women, parents and his nation's laws.
    10. The Cowboy is a patriot.

His gravestone reads:
    "A believer in our Western heritage."

The only time you bow down to someone is when you bend over to help them up!

• Perhaps if we had lived by the Cowboy Code, we would be a better person today?

• If all cowboys lived by that code we would not have any of these great westerns to watch.

Brian
    Tulalip Wa

• Great Code!

We would have the greatest country ever if we lived by this today, and showed a little bit of guts. Nothing wrong with living this way. Thanks for the info.

Cheers, Hondo B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Hondo, you are right. We would have an even greater country.

• Not to forget the creeds of the Lone Ranger, and Hopalong Cassidy
    that guided a generation of kids over the rough spots.
    John Fain

• Hey All,

I found a copy of the Lone Ranger Creed. It starts out with:

:)

"I believe:

1. That to have a friend, a man must be one.

2. That all men are created equal and that everyone has within himself the power to make this a better world.

3. That God put the firewood there, but every man must gather and light it himself.

4. In being prepared physically, mentally and morally to fight when necessary, for that which is right.

5. That a man should make the most of what equipment he has.

6. That 'this government, of the people, by the people, and for the people. shall live always.

7. That men should live by the rule of what is best for the greatest number.

8. That sooner or later, somewhere, somehow, we must settle with the world and make payment for what we have taken.

9. That all things change but truth, and that truth alone lives on forever.

10. In my Creator, my country, my fellow man."

:rolleyes:

I wanted to share this after hearing from John Fain. Thanks for the great ones.

Cheers, Hondo B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Just wonder how great this USA would be if we all lived by these codes.

Monique ;)

• Just found copy of Hopalong Cassidy's Creed
    for American Boys and Girls
    1.The highest badge of honor a person can wear is honesty, Be truthful at all times.

2. Your parents are the best friendsyou have. Listen to them and obey their instructions.

3.If you want to be respected, you must respect others, show good manners in every way.

4. Only through hard work and study can you succeed, don't be lazy.

5. your good deeds always come to light, so don't boast or be a show-off.

6. If you waste time or money today, you will regret it tomorrow. practice thrift in all ways.

7. Many animals are good and loyal companions. be friendly and kind to them.

8. A strong, healthy body is a precious gift. be neat and clean.

9. Our country's laws are made for your protection, observe them carefully.

10. Children in many foregn lands are less fortunate than you, Be glad and proud you are an American

John Fain

• Three great creeds here is what I know of the Dukes

1. Never give your word easily but once you give it live up to it.
    2. Never look for trouble but if it finds you dont run away.
    3. Never unneccessarily insult anyone.

I know there is more but I cant remember, can anyone help!!!!

B)

Regards
    Robbie

• An interesting introduction to the McCandles Texas forum at Yahoo also happens to contain one of John Wayne's creeds, as expressed in the movie The Shootist. I thought a repost of that would be appropriate here. I must also say that I feel that our message board here is among the friendliest I've been to, and welcomes the newcomer with open arms and good answers (thank goodness we don't have the pop-up ads that the Yahoo groups must tolerate - THANKS, KEVIN!!). :D:D:D

Enjoy!

Chester

Date: Mon Jul 14, 2003 3:26 pm
    Subject: McCandles – Duke Fans - Tender Feelings – The Sheriff

We have had some new citizens to move into McCandles lately and I wanted to give each of them an official welcome to the best John Wayne Fan group around. We are glad to have you with us and I am looking forward to getting to know each of you better.

Every now and then I like to post the rules we try to follow here in McCandles and explain why we run things this way.

These are the rules for our little community of McCandles; they are the rules that the Duke tried to live by. Each of our citizens is expected to read and abide by them.

1) I won't be wronged.

2) I won't be insulted.

3) I won't be laid a hand on.

I DON'T DO THESE THINGS TO OTHER PEOPLE, AND I REQUIRE THE SAME FROM THEM.

Every member is free to post their opinions on our message board and if you disagree with them you can express yours but do it in a way that doesn't belittle or degrade someone.

THAT WILL NOT BE TOLERATED!

When we began McCandles, Texas the one thing that everyone was looking for was a place where Duke Trivia experts and those who were just learning about the Duke could live together. Other groups had the tendency of making fun of their new members for their lack of knowledge. We worked to build a place where everyone could learn about the Duke and no one had to feel dumb. We have worked hard to make this the most fan friendly group in Yahoo. I believe that we have made something special here and we want everyone to enjoy it.

I want all our new members to enjoy their stay here at McCandles and if I can be of any help contact me at: Art13_1999@y...

See you along the trail,

Austin Rockwell Taylor
    Sheriff McCandles, Texas

• Hello all
    There are some strong and time tested values in the above creeds. Perhaps members may care to add some more that are local in origin. I have heard a few when travelling in ranch country up North.

Leave your gates as you find them ( open or closed )

If it's not broken don't fix it.

A Man's Character is like a Fence, you can't strengthen it with Whitewash.

If you want to soar with the Eagles in the Morning you can't hoot with the Owls all Night.

A Man is no better then his word.

New friends are Silver, Old friends are Gold.

When working put your back into it.

murray

Greetings from North of the 49th