Comanche Moon on CBS

There are 15 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 4,307 times. The latest Post () was by Baby Sister.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Comanche Moon Premieres on CBS in January
    Source: CBS
    November 21, 2007

Val Kilmer (Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang), Steve Zahn (Rescue Dawn), Academy Award and Emmy Award nominee Rachel Griffiths (Hilary and Jackie, "Six Feet Under"), Karl Urban (The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King), Linda Cardellini ("ER"), Elizabeth Banks (The 40-Year-Old Virgin) and Wes Studi ("Into the West") star in "Comanche Moon," a new six-hour mini-series based on the book by Larry McMurtry, and the final chapter in the "Lonesome Dove" saga to be made into a movie, to be broadcast Sunday, Jan. 13, Tuesday, Jan. 15 and Wednesday, Jan. 16 (9:00-11:00 PM, ET/PT, each night) on the CBS Television Network. Academy Award and Golden Globe Award winners Larry McMurtry and Diana Ossana, the writers and executive producer and producer, respectively, of the feature film Brokeback Mountain, are the executive producers and writers.

"Comanche Moon," the prequel to McMurtry's bestselling and Pulitzer Prize-winning book, "Lonesome Dove," which was the basis for the multiple Emmy Award-winning mini-series "Lonesome Dove," follows Texas Rangers Augustus "Gus" McCrae (Zahn) and Woodrow F. Call (Urban), now in their middle years, as they continue to deal with the ever-increasing tensions of adult life - Gus with his great love, Clara Forsythe (Cardellini), and Call with Maggie Tilton (Banks), the young prostitute who loves him and bears him his son, Newt (Joseph Castanon). Kilmer plays Captain Inish Scull, a Yankee aristocrat and hero of the recently concluded Mexican War. Griffiths plays Inez Scull, the Captain's sexy wife who doesn't hesitate to fill her time with other men when he's away from home. Wes Studi plays Comanche Chief Buffalo Hump.

Two proud but very different men, McCrae and Call enlist with a Ranger troop in pursuit of three outlaws: Buffalo Hump, the great Comanche war chief; Kicking Wolf (Jonathon Joss, "Into the West"), the celebrated Comanche horse thief; and Ahumado (Sal Lopez, The Astronaut Farmer), a deadly Mexican bandit king with a penchant for torture. Assisting the Rangers in their wild chase is the renowned Kickapoo tracker Famous Shoes (David Midthunder, "Into the West"). They are joined by their comrades-in-arms, Deets (Keith Robinson, Dreamgirls), Jake Spoon (Ryan Merriman, The Ring Two) and Pea Eye Parker (Troy Baker, Striking Range), in the bitter struggle to protect an advancing western frontier against the defiant Comanches who are determined to defend their territory and their way of life. The Rangers also encounter Buffalo Hump's violent outcast son, Blue Duck (Adam Beach, "Law & Order: Special Victims Unit").

Director Simon Wincer and producer Dyson Lovell, who directed and produced "Lonesome Dove" respectively, served in those roles on "Comanche Moon." Wincer's previous works include "Into the West," "Ponderosa," "Crossfire Trail" and "P.T. Barnum," for television, and the feature films The Young Black Stallion, Free Willy, Harley Davidson and the Marlboro Man and Quigley Down Under.

"Comanche Moon" is a co-production of CBS Paramount Network Television and Sony Pictures Television. Larry McMurtry and Diana Ossana (Brokeback Mountain) and Paul Frank, Adam Shulman and Julie Yorn of Firm Films (The Exorcism of Emily Rose, "Criss Angel: Mindfreak") are the executive producers. Dyson Lovell (The Lion in Winter) is the producer. Simon Wincer directed from a script by McMurtry and Ossana.

They'd never forget the day,the stranger rode into town

• Thanks for bringing that to our attention, Phantomstranger. I sure will give it a look. I loved the book. I hope it is better than the adaption of Dead Man's Walk. The book was good but the movie didn't hold a candle to the original Lonesome Dove. Same with Streets of Loredo, great book but so-so movie.

For those who don't know the order in which the story unfolds:

Dead Man's Walk - Gus and Woodrow become Rangers
    Comanche Moon - The early years as Rangers
    Lonesome Dove - The Cattle Drive
    Streets Of Loredo - Call's last man-hunt.

For those that love to read, I recommend all 4 books. Larry McMurtry has a way with writing westerns.

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• I'll definitely be watching this one. I've been waiting for this since Dead Mans Walk was done. I think Comanche Moon was supposed to be done right after that but, because of the low ratings for Dead Man, it was pushed aside for the next 10 years. With a great cast, I hope this is a good one but, nothing can surpass the original.

• Just to bring this topic back on top because this mini-seeries will be on Sunday, January 13 on CBS, and Tuesday, January 15. Might be pretty good. Lonesome Dove was good, too.

Cheers :cool:

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Just a reminder of Comanche Moon tonight on CBS. I think it will be a good mini-series.

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• CBS did a terrible job. Frozen frames, mis-matched lip-sync...

The acting was fine. Val looked like a beached whale, and couldn't carry a Boston accent. Trust me, I grew up there.

There will be no Emmy for editing.

That said, I did have some fun watching the film, and will probably watch the rest of it.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

• Hello Wacco,

Maybe it was your local station with the problems. I didn't notice any freeze frames or mis-matched lip-sync. Overall, it was quite good.

If you had read the book, Val Kilmer played the character well. I do agree, he missed on the accent, but that was the only flaw.

I read in the TV guide that is was not very good, but I disagree. I think, so far, that it is far better done than Dead Man's Walk was. I am looking foward to seeing the other two parts.

The actors that played Gus (Steve Zahn) and Woodrow (Karl Urban) did an excellent job. Gus was played almost exactly the way Duvall had played him. Well done! Even the woman who played Clara (Linda Cardellini) did the character right.

Did anyone else enjoy it as I did? Let us know. Looking foward to hearing your views. For me...thumbs up!:thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• I taped it, and didn't see it. I plan to later in the week. Just a little busy, and I missed the first hour due to a teleconference, so I plan to watch it later, which means that I will miss the other parts, but will have it taped. And no I am not watching The American Idol!

- John Wayne quote

• I watched this last night and although I didn't watch all of it, I put it on DVR, the ending made me want to watch the next episode though.

Stay thirsty my friends.

• Missed it due to being out of town on vacation. Guess I will have to wait for it to show up on DVD.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• Help!

I lost the second of three nights. I should have put in a new tape, but I forgot and the first one ran out after the first 15 minutes of last night. I hope I can get a copy of the second part. I will tape tonight, and I do have a new tape in.

- John Wayne quote

• I for one was greatly dissappointed in this mini-series. too many gaps in the story, bad action sequences.and i can't get over Val Kilmer's acting role very strange. :confused:

''baby sister i was born game and intend to go out that way.''

• Just when you thought this topic was over, guess what? A release date has been set for February 26, 2008. Boy is this fast!

Cheers :cool: Hondo

- John Wayne quote

• I did'nt like it , Lonesome dove was excellent but to see them when they were younger after dove , I thought the acting was terrible even from Kilmer, it seemd like a cheap b western hey but thats me.

Mister you better find yourself another line of work, cause this one sure DON"T fit your PISTOL!

• I was pretty disappointed. I thought it was to predictable and really lacked in action. The biggest let down was when they finally got to Capt. Schull and all they did was rode in and took him from the pit?...I thought they would have to put a little fight at least. Oh well.....

Baby Sis
    :cowboy::cowboy::cowboy:

"Give me a man like Duke Wayne"...Marueen O'Hara