John Wayne Michael Parkinson Interview

There are 28 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 30,727 times. The latest Post () was by The Irish Duke.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Michael Parkinson has announced that he plans to release archive programmes of his show so possibly here comes that elusive John Wayne interview plus Jimmy Cagney and James Stewart etc.

Mike

He has interviewed 2,000 of the world's most famous people in a TV career spanning 26 years – and now Michael Parkinson plans to spend his retirement watching them all over again.

He will go back through his archive and "fillet" shows to create a major retrospective series.
    Yet far from being a sign that the 72-year-old is clinging to past glories, he insists he "can't wait" for retirement. He plans to visit Australia and write and promote his autobiography, as well as find a way of repackaging interviews with the likes of Orson Welles, James Cagney, Fred Astaire, Peter Sellers and Muhammad Ali.

• I wonder if we can write to him and send a little "nudge" to include his John Wayne interview in the batch he's going to release?
    Bob

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them" It may be time worn, but it's the best life-creed I know.

• He does not seem to have fond memories of this interview and it is certainly not amongst his favourites, perhaps he detested that fact that John Wayne's answers to his question were short, sharp and witty whereas most of Parkinsons guests like to overindulge their own self importance.

:agent:

Regards
    Robbie

• Can anyone give me ny info on this Parkinson's fella? I for some reason am drawing a blank on who this person was.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• Hi Todd

Michael Parkinson is a television chat show host from Yorkshire and in a career lasting I suppose twenty years first on BBC television and then ITV he has intervieved anyone who is or was anyone including most of the Hollywood greats.

He is a bit of a syncophant and dosn't go in for anything controversial.

When he interviewd John Wayne it was just after Duke hadhad surgery and he(Parkinson) thought it marvellous that Duke appeared at at all. he said that as he went to introduce Duke he suddenly forgot his name.

There has been a clip of the Wayne interview shown in a compendeum of Hollywood actors including I think James Stewart and Henry Fonda.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Ahh, ok. Thanks Arthur. That explains why I didn't knowwho he is.

I am assuming the interviews will be available first in the UK, then the US? You guys over there will have to let us know when they start showing up, thanks.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• . . . am drawing a blank on who this person was.

That was us, too :teeth_smile:.

Thanks, Arthur, for the further information! We sensed he must be from "the other side of the pond" since DukePilgrim and Robbie both seemed well acquainted with his work. I'm glad that is cleared up for all.

I agree, it would be great if his interview with Duke was made available.

Chester :newyear:

• A special last episode of the Parkinson Show is on tomorrow featuring interviews from past shows. Dont know if John Wayne will feature but likely to feature Jimmy Stewart, James Cagney and Orson Welles.

Hopefully some kind of DVD of interviews will be released this year.

Parkinson - The Final Show

Saturday 22 December 2007 10:15pm - 11:20pm on ITV1.
    In the final of three specials that celebrate and conclude the final ever series of Parkinson, this show will be the last to be filmed after four decades of truly mesmerising chat.
    Michael Parkinson will be in the studio taking a fond and poignant look back at all the truly great guests he's had on his show over the years. Personally picking all the clips himself, they'll show us why his chat show is littered with golden TV moments.
    The guests read like a who's who of popular culture of the last thirty years, and many of the encounters have attained legendary status: Muhammad Ali, Fred Astaire, Richard Burton and Orson Welles, to name but a few.
    Parkinson first became established as a regular fixture on Saturday night television in the early 1970s and during Michael's long tenure as Britain's premier talk show host he undertook thousands of interviews.
    The show arrived at ITV in 2004 after over three decades at the BBC. Since then he's welcomed many of the world's biggest stars to the programme including Tom Cruise, Madonna, John Travolta, Tony Blair, Sir Elton John, Ricky Gervais, Robbie Williams, Lauren Bacall, Sir Paul McCartney, Bette Midler and Kate Winslet.
    "The final show is a reminder of how lucky and privileged I have been to meet so many fascinatingly talented people. Fred Astaire to Nureyev, Ali to Ricky Hatton, Best to Beckham, Cagney to Cruise, Ingrid Bergmann to Cate Blanchett, Jack Benny to Billy Connolly. I shall miss it," says Michael Parkinson.
    Director of Entertainment and Comedy Paul Jackson says: "As someone who worked with Michael in a very junior role in the 1970s and was involved in bringing him back to prime-time television in the 1990s, I have been delighted to work with him once again in these last three years at ITV.
    "He has defined the talk show in British television and no-one has come near to equalling his record. His name is synonymous throughout the English speaking world as a benchmark for integrity and quality in the genre and being invited to appear on his show is a recognised landmark in any star's career."
    Mark Wells, Executive Producer of Parkinson, says: "Truly, this is the end of an era. Michael Parkinson is one of the giants of broadcasting, his skills as a talk show host are quite simply the best in the world. The Parkinson show has been a part of the British Saturday night for so long, it's hard to imagine life without it."
    Michael Parkinson is a true TV legend, and one who will be greatly missed by everyone, so sit back and enjoy one final time: Parkinson, the man, the conversation, the stars.

• An interesting parallel in the United States would be retired talk-show host Johnny Carson. DVDs of his shows are available for about $100, and I bet there would some very interesting interviews with stars included. Of course, there would be clips with animals and some of his comedy sketches as well, not just interviews.

Chester :newyear:

• Hi

I watched the final program and unfortunately Duke's interview was not included. A scene was shown at the end which included Duke in a montage but that was that.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi Arthur

Yes, considering Jimmy Stewart James Cagney & Henry Fonda all got an outing it was disappointing. John Wayne's appearance seems to be in a dark blue suit/tuxedo with dickie bow so I think he was only on once.

I have a segment of his Parkinson interview so if there are some kind of DVD releases with the full interview I reckon he will be included with other Hollywood stars.

Mike

• Hi

In the New Year Honours List Michael Parkinson has received a knighthood. Not bad for doing something you like for thirty years and being exceptionally well paid to do it.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• hi everyone

firstly Merry Christmas and best wishes for 2008. I have been a bit busy lately hence rather quiet but i am trying to catch up.

Re Parkinson interview or interviews did we ever establish how many times JW appeared on his show?

Colorado Bob and I have a copy of PART of one interview released on DVD as a compilation called Hollywood Men a 3 box set of parkinson interviews.

However there was some debate about JW appearing more than once.

You are right about Parkinson not really rating JW, hence the full JW interview not being on the disc set. In fact parky did a TV special of his top ten interviews and JW was not even mentioned.

There is a 1.5 hour interview that David Frost did with JW when Frost was in USA early 1970s which I am told is a much better one. Do I have it? No
    Would I like it? yes

But I cannot find a copy anywhere!

Elly

Be who you are & say what you feel Because those who mind dont matter & those who matter dont mind

• Hi

As far as I am aware Duke only appeared once with Parkinson and yes I have the partial interview somewhere on tape.

I think that a part of the interview consisted of Duke's thoughts on Hign Noon and Coopers throwing away his badge at the end of the film.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hello Arthur

Thanks for that.

Bob and I have been working on trying to get a definative list of JW TV appearances together. We have a bit more work to do but are hoping to be able to post it by end of January 2008.

Elly

Be who you are & say what you feel Because those who mind dont matter & those who matter dont mind

• I'm pretty sure that John Wayne only appeared on Parkinson once although a friend of mine disagrees and stated that he was on his programme at least twice but I think this is wrong.

As I said previously John Wayne's answers to Parkinsons question were short, sharp and witty and on Parkinson the guest usually waffles on endlessly about themselves and this as we all know was no John Wayne's style.

I also agree with Arther that its ludicrous for Parkinson to receive a knighthood for doing this show, the knighthood I am afraid is an honour that has been demeaned due to some of the undeserving recipients awarded it and Parkinson is one of them.

:agent:

Regards
    Robbie

• I have a feeling JW was only on Parkinson once. If he did appear before this it must have been 1st series in 1971 which according to Parkinson were destroyed by BBC.

To be honest Parkinson was past his best from mid to late 70s onwards and he will now trot off into the sunset. I think Michael Winner's comments about honours summed it up
    concisely.

Lets hope the full interview of John Wayne will turn up in some kind of DVD release.

Mike

• He does not seem to have fond memories of this interview and it is certainly not amongst his favourites, perhaps he detested that fact that John Wayne's answers to his question were short, sharp and witty whereas most of Parkinsons guests like to overindulge their own self importance.

I get such a kick out of your signature photo, Robbie.
    Wish I'd thought of it.

Richard

[CENTER]
    [/CENTER]

• I guess I have a clip somewhere. I think he was there while filming BRANNIGAN in London. It was very funny. As I recall joking about his toupet (''It is hair. Not my hair but it is hair..'') and stuff.