Christmas with Duke & Maureen

There are 12 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 6,959 times. The latest Post () was by chester7777.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I would have liked to see Duke and Maureen in a Christmas movie together. Light comedy and drama with a great Christmas message. I'm not necessarily talking about one that has already been made, but one that fits the two together.

Help me out here. If you were writing a movie with John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara in mind for this movie, what would you include in this movie? What would be the title?

I started out with the type of movie, light comedy and drama, and a Christmas message. Now continue this great classic.

Cheers :cool: Hondo

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Duke is dishevelled in the movie and hitting the drink a little too hard, something akin to his character during the final part of 'The man who shot Liberty Valance' although without much of the dark connotations of the Doniphan character.

I'm not sure if his character should be estranged from O'hara of if they should meet during the movie.

:agent:

Regards
    Robbie

• Should they already be married or know each other or meet for the first time in the movie?

Cheers :cool:

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• I think if its going to have a Christmas message there needs to be redemption within the overall theme of the movie therefore there are two possible scenarios these could be as follows:

i. Should they know each other? One character develops throughout the movie (John Wayne) in order to put right past mistakes.

ii) Should they meet for the first time in the movie and the overall ploy of the movie focuses on a love story, there is the danger here of invading 'Quiet Man' territory.

:agent:

Regards
    Robbie

• I know that everyone here is still getting through the holidays, but I'd like to continue this story line as we put together this made for Duke and Maureen moive. Help me out with the story line to this.

Robbie, I still like to have this in terms of a light comedy and little drama, and Christmas theme. Everything else is what you want to put in it, so you call it as you see fit.

- John Wayne quote

• I had a good one but this stupid machine kicked me outta the site. I'll post it in chunks.

One i'd like to see in this movie and as Santa, is Victor McLaglen.

As Duke and O'Hara's youngest Daughter-Shirley Temple-as she was in the 1930's.

Their oldest Son: Charlton Heston-who is somewhat of a playboy who only thinks about spending money on Woman and not in the family business-which is a large Newspaper.

The middle Son is played by: Montgomery Clift.

The youngest Son is played by: Bobs Watson-who is the kid who played Peewee in: Boys Town.

Clift's best friend is: Steve McQueen-who is in and out of Reform School (currently serving another term there instead of being in Prison-where he should have been)

Steve McQueen is a follower of James Cagney-who is spending time in Prison for a Robbery.

The Warden of that Prison is played by: Pat O'Brien, the Prison Pastor is played by: Spencer Tracey.

Two of the more brutal guards at that prison are: Charles Bronson and Claude Akins.

The Captain of the Guards at that prison is Burt Lancaster.

Gary Cooper is their next door neighbor who wants to be a Scientist. He invents a machine that makes clouds rain or snow-at his will. He also is the father of the Steve McQueen character.

I had some other good ones but I forgot them thanks to this computer kicking me out again. Grrr.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Carl,

This is great, but you seem not have any idea of the ages of these men. First of all Montgomery Clift (1920) is older than Charlton Heston (1924). Incidentally, Maureen was born in 1920 herself. So, let's make this movie being made in 1961. Maureen would be 41, and Duke would be 54. This is really great Carl, but boy will I need a big budget to pay these people.:laugh:

gt, that's good to have 3 kids.

- John Wayne quote

• Hi

Taking the original theme of a man at his lowest ebb hitting the drink, you could go back to it's a Wonderful Life with Maureen O'hara playing the guardian angel role.

if you wanted to you could take the action away from Bedford Falls and make it Two Gun Gulch with a western theme. Duke a lone cowpuncher down on his luck with holes in his boots and his last bullet in his belt.

Is he contemplating suicide we will never know because in a saloon he meets a blowsy good time girl working as a show girl (Maureen O'Hara) She sidles up to him and asks him if he is alright, he tells her to leave him alone. But she persists and eventually he tells her that he is a failure and its better if he had never been born.

She then tells him what would have happened if he hadn't have been born showing him the story of three friends who save a baby from the desert, telling him that the baby grew up to be a town marshal who cleaned up a bad town and made it a fine place for people to live, and if he hadn't saved the baby from the desert that wouldn't have happeend. She then takes him forward and shows Rance Stoddard facing Liberty Valance and shows the two men in the street. Hopelessy outgunned Valance shoots and kills Rance, The angel then tells Duke that if he hadn't intervened to shoot Valance, because Stoddard was killed he wouldn't have become a senator, pushed through statehood. The angel shows that Liberty Valance would have taken the position of congressman and made Shinbone a haven for outlaws.

Finally showing Duke the future she projects him forward seventy odd years showing one of his decendents as a marine sergeant in the Second World War traing a platoon for the assault on Iwo Jima an explains to him that if he hadn' lived his releative would not have been born and the platoon would have probably all been killed in the attack.

The beauty of this film is that it would be cheap as most of the cast are all dead.

regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Thanks Mike for their Bdates. I had not thought about that at all. I always thought that Heston was a few years older than Clift-but its hard to tell since both aged pretty well and the last picture I saw of Heston-he still looks good for his age. 1961 is a good year :thumbs_up:

I forgot, I originally had Walter Brennan in that movie as a Judge. :teeth_smile:

And I can easily see a movie as Arthur described. :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• If you want a light comedy, then I think they should have a couple or 3 kids.

Since we are operating on the premise of a movie made in 1961, we could jump-start Mel Gibson's acting career and have him be one of the kids - he was 5 years old in 1961. Hayley Mills could be the teenaged daughter of the family. Kirstie Alley could be the feisty middle child (also jump-starting her career as well).

Mrs. C :angel1: