There are 35 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 76,297 times. The latest Post () was by ethanedwards.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• GENE AUTRY

Gene Autry Official Web-Site

Information From IMDb

Date of Birth
    29 September 1907,
    Near Tioga, Texas, USA

Date of Death
    2 October 1998,
    Studio City, Los Angeles, California, USA (lymphoma)

Birth Name
    Orvon Grover Autry

Nickname
    The Singing Cowboy

Height
    5' 9" (1.75 m)

Alternate Names:
    Bob Clayton | Johnny Dodds

Spouse
    Jackie Autry (19 July 1981 - 2 October 1998) (his death)
    Ina Mae Spivey (1 April 1932 - 20 May 1980) (her death)

Trade Mark

Song: "Back in the Saddle Again", horse: Champion

Trivia
    His first hit record was "That Silver Haired Daddy Of Mine" in 1932.

Autry was the first owner of the Los Angeles Angels American League baseball club, subsequently renamed the California Angels when the team was relocated to Anaheim in 1966. (The team has been renamed twice: the Anaheim Angels, and now the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.) A radio station owner, Autry was interested in acquiring the broadcasting rights to the Angels games when he found out the team, part of the American League's first expansion, was for sale. He bought it. Autry owned the team in its entirety from its first year of play, 1961, until 1997, when he sold part of the franchise to Disney, who renamed the team the Anaheim Angels. Autry's widow sold the rest of the team to Disney after his death the next year at the age of 91.

He has five stars in the Hollywood Walk Of Fame; for Recording, Movies, TV, Radio, and live theater.

According to a Hollywood legend, published in The Orange County Register after his death, Autry was discovered singing in a telegraph office in Oklahoma by Will Rogers. Rogers told him that he had a pretty good voice, and suggested that he go to Hollywood where he could make some money singing in the movies. Gene followed Rogers' advice and became "The Singing Cowboy." Autry himself related this story in an interview with Cecil B. DeMille on the Lux Radio Drama Hour. In the interview, Gene added that the next time he saw Rogers was in Hollywood. According to Gene, Will just nodded and said, "I see you made it, kid."

Interred at Forest Lawn (Hollywood Hills), Los Angeles, California, USA, in the Sheltering Hills section, Grave #1048.

Elected to the Country Music Hall of Fame in 1969.

Grandson of an itinerant preacher, he became a multi-millionaire through his investments and real estate holdings.

Inducted into the Hall of Great Westerners of the National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum in 1980.

Inducted into the Hall of Great Western Performers of the National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum in 1972.

He was the most popular of the "singing cowboys." In his heyday he was making six to eight feature westerns a year.

More than 50 years after the last Gene Autry western, he is better known to later generations as a singer. His remastered vintage recordings of "Here Comes Santa Claus" and "Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer" remain very popular holiday standards into the 21st century.

The California/Anaheim Angels franchise retired #26 in his honor.

Biography in: "American National Biography". Supplement 1, pp. 19-22. New York: Oxford University Press, 2002.

Owned Golden West Broadcasters, which owned and operated San Francisco AM radio station KSFO, Los Angeles television station KTLA channel 5, and Los Angeles AM radio station KMPC.

During the war, he was awarded the American Campaign Medal, the Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal, and the World War II Victory Medal.

During World War II, when he left Republic Pictures to join the U.S. Army, he was the only officer allowed to wear cowboy boots with his uniform.

In response to his millions of young fans who wanted to be like Gene Autry, he developed a code of conduct, "The Cowboy Code", which is as follows: 1. The Cowboy must never shoot first, hit a smaller man, or take unfair advantage. 2. He must never go back on his word, or a trust confided in him. 3. He must always tell the truth. 4. He must be gentle with children, the elderly, and animals. 5. He must not advocate or possess racially or religiously intolerant ideas. 6. He must help people in distress. 7. He must be a good worker. 8. He must keep himself clean in thought, speech, action, and personal habits. 9. He must respect women, parents, and his nation's laws. 10. The Cowboy is a patriot.

In 1940 the National Association of Theater Owners voted him the fourth biggest box office attraction, behind Mickey Rooney, 'Clark Gable' and Spencer Tracy.

On January 1st, 1942, the small town of Berwyn (Carter County, Oklahoma) changed its name and became 'Gene Autry'.

In 1992 he was said to be worth $320 million.

Mini Biography
    After high school Gene Autry worked as a laborer for the St. Louis and San Francisco Railroad in Oklahoma. Next he was a telegrapher. In 1928 he began singing on a local radio station, and three years later he had his own show and was making his first recordings. Three years after that he made his film debut in Ken Maynard's In Old Santa Fe (1934) and starred in a 13-part serial the following year for Mascot Pictures, The Phantom Empire (1935). The next year he signed a contract with Republic Pictures and began making westerns. Autry--for better or worse--pretty much ushered in the era of the "singing cowboy" westerns of the 1930s and 1940s (in spite of the presence in his oaters of automobiles, radios and airplanes). These films often grossed ten times their average $50,000 production costs. During World War II he enlisted in the US Army and was assigned as a flight officer from 1942-46 with the Air Transport Command. After his military service he returned to making movies, this time with Columbia Pictures, and finally with his own company, Flying A Productions, which, during the 1950s, produced his TV series "The Gene Autry Show" (1950), "The Adventures of Champion" (1955), and "Annie Oakley" (1954). He wrote over 200 songs. A savvy businessman, he retired from acting in the early 1960s and became a multi-millionaire from his investments in hotels, real estate, radio stations and the California Angels professional baseball team.
    IMDb Mini Biography By: Ed Stephan

Mini Biography
    Orvon Gene Autry is considered by many to be the greatest western star of all time. He earned the designation of "America's Favorite Cowboy". He was "discovered" by Will Rogers while working as a telegrapher. One of his stars on the Walk of fame is for Live Performance (including rodeo), not live theater. Also, "That Siver-Haired Daddy of Mine" sold over 500,00 copies in its first release. He is the first artist in history to have a gold record. Also, he is also the first artist to ever sell 1,000,000 copies of a record - "That Silver-Haired daddy of Mine". He was also the first artist ever to sell out Madison Square Garden. His song "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer" is the second highest selling Christmas song of all time. It has sold over 30 million copies. In 1940, he was the 4th highest grossing box office attraction according to Theater Exhibitors of America. The only stars above him were, Mickey Rooney, Clark gable, and Spencer Tracy. By 1948, Dell Publishing was printing over 1,000,000 Gene Autry Comic Books per year. Gene Autry was #49 on CMT's 50 Greatest Men of Country Music, and he also had 2 songs on CMT's 100 Greatest Songs Of Country. everything Gene touched seemed to turn to gold. After he retired from acting, he had many successful business ventures, including radio and television stations. He also owned the California Angels. When he sold part of his interest to Disney, the became the Anaheim Angels. He was Vice President of The American League until his death. Sadly, he never got to see his beloved Angels win the World Series. The team even retired Gene's number "26". He has a town named after him - Gene Autry, Oklahoma. They host a festival/celebration every year. Gene died in 1998 from lymphoma.
    IMDb Mini Biography By: Robyn Garner

Personal Quotes

[in a conversation with director Frank McDonald about his career] I'm not a good actor, a good rider or a particularly good singer, but they seem to like what I do, so I'll keep on doing it as long as they want.

[on the music industry] It occurs to me that music, with the possible exception of riding a bull, is the most uncertain way to make a living I know. In either case you can get bucked off, thrown, stepped on, trampled--if you get on at all. At best, it is a short and bumpy ride.

In my day, most people thought dance hall girls actually danced.

[on Errol Flynn] He spent more time on a bar stool, or in court, or in the headlines, or in bed, than anyone I knew.

[on the difference between modern westerns and the westerns made during his day] I could never have played scenes like where The Sundance Kid kicks the guy in the nuts [in Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (1969)] or anything like Clint Eastwood does.

[about his 'image' as a cowboy star] I couldn't shoot a man in the back. I couldn't take a drink at a bar. They would have run me out of town.

Salary
    Shooting High (1940) $25,000
    The Phantom Empire (1935) $150/week

Filmography

Actor
    1. All American Cowboy (1985) (TV)
    2. Silent Treatment (1968)
    3. "The Gene Autry Show" .... Gene Autry (91 episodes, 1950-1955)
    ... aka Melody Ranch
    - Dynamite (1955) TV episode .... Gene Autry
    - The Rangerette (1955) TV episode .... Gene Autry
    - Ride Ranchero (1955) TV episode .... Gene Autry
    - Saddle Up (1955) TV episode .... Gene Autry
    - Feuding Friends (1955) TV episode .... Gene Autry
    (86 more)
    4. Last of the Pony Riders (1953) .... Gene Autry
    5. Saginaw Trail (1953) .... Gene Autry
    6. Pack Train (1953) .... Gene Autry
    7. Goldtown Ghost Riders (1953) .... Gene Autry
    8. On Top of Old Smoky (1953) .... Gene Autry
    9. Winning of the West (1953) .... Gene Autry
    10. Blue Canadian Rockies (1952) .... Gene Autry
    11. Wagon Team (1952) .... Gene Autry
    12. Barbed Wire (1952) .... Gene Autry
    ... aka False News (UK)
    13. Apache Country (1952) .... Gene Autry
    14. Night Stage to Galveston (1952) .... Gene Autry
    15. The Old West (1952) .... Gene Autry
    16. Valley of Fire (1951) .... Gene Autry
    17. The Hills of Utah (1951) .... Dr. Gene Autry
    18. Silver Canyon (1951) .... Gene
    19. Whirlwind (1951) .... Gene Autry aka The Whirlwind
    20. Texans Never Cry (1951) .... Gene Autry
    21. Gene Autry and The Mounties (1951) .... Gene Autry
    22. The Blazing Sun (1950) .... Gene Autry
    ... aka The Blazing Hills (USA)
    23. Indian Territory (1950) .... Gene Autry
    24. Beyond the Purple Hills (1950) .... Gene Autry
    25. Hoedown (1950) (uncredited) .... Cameo appearance
    26. Cow Town (1950) .... Gene Autry
    ... aka Barbed Wire (UK)
    27. Mule Train (1950) .... U.S. Marshal Gene Autry
    28. Sons of New Mexico (1949) .... Gene Autry
    ... aka The Brat (UK)
    29. Riders in the Sky (1949) .... Gene Autry
    30. The Cowboy and the Indians (1949) .... Gene Autry
    31. Rim of the Canyon (1949) .... Gene Autry/Marshal Steve Autry
    32. Riders of the Whistling Pines (1949) .... Gene Autry
    33. The Big Sombrero (1949) .... Gene Autry
    34. Loaded Pistols (1948) .... Gene Autry
    35. The Strawberry Roan (1948) .... Gene Autry
    ... aka Fools Awake (UK)
    36. The Last Round-up (1947) .... Gene Autry
    37. Robin Hood of Texas (1947) .... Gene Autry
    38. Saddle Pals (1947) .... Gene Autry
    39. Twilight on the Rio Grande (1947) .... Gene Autry
    40. Trail to San Antone (1947) .... Gene Autry
    41. Sioux City Sue (1946/I) .... Gene Autry
    42. Bells of Capistrano (1942) .... Gene Autry
    43. Call of the Canyon (1942) .... Gene Autry
    44. Stardust on the Sage (1942) .... Gene Autry
    45. Home in Wyomin' (1942) .... Gene Autry
    46. Heart of the Rio Grande (1942) .... Gene Autry
    47. Cowboy Serenade (1942) .... Gene Autry
    ... aka Serenade of the West (UK)
    48. Sierra Sue (1941) .... Gene Autry
    49. Down Mexico Way (1941) .... Gene Autry
    50. Under Fiesta Stars (1941) .... Gene Autry
    51. Sunset in Wyoming (1941) .... Gene Autry
    52. The Singing Hill (1941) .... Gene Autry
    53. Back in the Saddle (1941) .... Gene Autry
    54. Ridin' on a Rainbow (1941) .... Gene Autry
    55. Melody Ranch (1940) .... Gene Autry
    ... aka Gene Autry's Melody Ranch (USA: poster title)
    56. Ride Tenderfoot Ride (1940) .... Gene Autry
    57. Carolina Moon (1940) .... Gene Autry
    58. Gaucho Serenade (1940) .... Gene Autry
    ... aka Keep Rollin' (USA: TV title)
    59. Shooting High (1940) .... Will Carson
    60. Rancho Grande (1940) .... Gene Autry
    61. South of the Border (1939) .... Gene Autry
    62. Rovin' Tumbleweeds (1939) .... Gene Autry
    63. In Old Monterey (1939) .... Sergeant Gene Autry
    64. Colorado Sunset (1939) .... Gene Autry
    65. Mountain Rhythm (1939) .... Gene Autry
    66. Blue Montana Skies (1939) .... Gene Autry
    67. Mexicali Rose (1939) .... Gene Autry
    68. Home on the Prairie (1939) .... Gene Autry
    69. Western Jamboree (1938) .... Gene Autry
    70. Rhythm of the Saddle (1938) .... Gene Autry
    71. Prairie Moon (1938) .... Gene Autry
    72. Man from Music Mountain (1938) .... Gene Autry
    73. Gold Mine in the Sky (1938) .... Gene Autry
    74. The Old Barn Dance (1938) .... Gene Autry
    75. Springtime in the Rockies (1937) .... Gene Autry
    76. Boots and Saddles (1937) .... Gene Autry
    77. Public Cowboy No. 1 (1937) .... Deputy Sheriff Gene Autry
    78. Yodelin' Kid from Pine Ridge (1937) .... Gene Autry
    ... aka The Hero of Pine Ridge
    79. Rootin' Tootin' Rhythm (1937) .... Gene Autry
    ... aka Rhythm on the Ranch
    80. Round-Up Time in Texas (1937) .... Gene Autry
    81. Git Along Little Dogies (1937) .... Gene Autry - Circle A Ranch Owner
    ... aka Serenade of the West (UK)
    82. The Old Corral (1936/I) .... Sheriff Gene Autry
    ... aka Texas Serenade (UK)
    83. The Big Show (1936) .... Gene Autry / Tom Ford
    84. Ride Ranger Ride (1936) .... Texas Ranger Gene Autry
    85. Oh, Susanna! (1936) .... Gene Autry aka Tex Smith
    86. Guns and Guitars (1936) .... Gene Autry
    87. The Singing Cowboy (1936) .... Gene Autry
    88. Comin' 'Round the Mountain (1936) .... Gene Autry
    89. Red River Valley (1936) .... Gene Autry
    ... aka Man of the Frontier (USA: TV title)
    90. The Singing Vagabond (1935) .... Captain Tex Autry
    91. Sagebrush Troubadour (1935) .... Gene Autry
    92. Melody Trail (1935) .... Gene Autry
    93. Tumbling Tumbleweeds (1935) .... Gene Autry
    94. The Phantom Empire (1935) .... Gene Autry
    ... aka Gene Autry and the Phantom Empire
    95. Mystery Mountain (1934) (uncredited) .... Thomas, Lake teamster [Chs. 6-8, 12]
    96. In Old Santa Fe (1934) (uncredited) .... Gene Autry, Guest Singer
    ... aka Down in Old Santa Fe

Producer
    "Annie Oakley" 1956-1957 Annie Oakley (TV series) (executive producer - 3 episodes)
    – Dude's Decision (1957)
    – Santa Claus Wears a Gun (1956)
    – Annie and the Bicycle Riders (1956)
    "Buffalo Bill, Jr." 1955 Buffalo Bill, Jr. (TV series) (executive producer - 2 episodes)
    – A Bronc Called Gunboat (1955)
    – First Posse (1955)
    Saginaw Trail 1953 Saginaw Trail (executive producer - uncredited)
    "Death Valley Days" 1952 Death Valley Days (TV series) (executive producer)
    "The Gene Autry Show" 1950-1952 The Gene Autry Show (TV series) (executive producer - 4 episodes)
    – Horse Sense (1952)
    – The Peacemaker (1950)
    – The Silver Arrow (1950)
    – Gold Dust Charlie (1950)
    "The Range Rider" 1951 The Range Rider (TV series) (executive producer)
    Riders in the Sky 1949 Riders in the Sky (executive producer - uncredited)

Music Department
    Rootin' Tootin' Rhythm 1937 Rootin' Tootin' Rhythm (songs)
    Guns and Guitars 1936 Guns and Guitars (composer)
    The Singing Vagabond 1935 The Singing Vagabond (composer)
    Sagebrush Troubadour 1935 Sagebrush Troubadour (composer)
    Melody Trail 1935 Melody Trail (composer)
    Hide HideShow Show

Composer
    Here Comes Santa Claus 2003 Here Comes Santa Claus (short)
    Hide HideShow Show

Miscellaneous Crew
    The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones: Hollywood Follies 1994 The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones: Hollywood Follies (TV movie)

Watch Gene Autry Full Movies:-

Gene's Video Gallery

Here's one of them:-

Rim of the Canyon

Previous Discussion;-
    Gene Autry's Cowboy Code

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 27 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• Gene Autry, without doubt a classic western screen legend.
    A favourite of mine, as I am sure he is, of most Duke fans.

Duke as Singing Sandy, was doomed from the start
    not helped, of course, by the fact Duke couldn't sing, and it would have helped.
    Duke was not happy, as a singing cowboy, who couldn't sing,
    so Republic Studios, came up, with someone that could!

Gene, was the country's first important singing star.

Years later Gene was to quote:-

Two factors weighted against Wayne's rise as a Western singer, other than the obvious one, of finding a leading lady who wouldn't crack up. To begin with,
    his songs had to be dubbed by someone else, and in those days the lip sych, was unfreliable.. But the clincher was the fact that when he appeared in public and his fans pleaded for a ballad who two, he had to decline

Gene said of Duke:-

Wayne, is man without pretense....He could be tough and rowdy.

Gene also said:-

In Ford's presence, Wayne could be as obedient and innocent, as an altar boy

Gene, like Roy Rogers, never made it into 'A' movies.
    Gene however starred in almost 60 poorly acted, and poorly scripted films,
    and was immensely popular, and became a multi-millionaire!!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited once, last by ethanedwards ().

• Keith, You might want to add this to your Posts about Gene Autry The Singing Cowboy !

Duke had a Little to do with Gene Autry and The Singing Cowboy, and there is a Bed Room at The 26 Bar Ranch Named After Gene Autry Because He Visited the Ranch Many Times to get away from the Public Eye, and had become Very Good Friend of John Wayne .

Below is a Little Story about the Singing Cowboy !!!

http://www.ranch26bar.com/GENEAUTRY.html

Bill:cowboy:

• I got hooked on watching his Westerns back when we were lucky enough to have the Plex Channel. They played his and all kinds of Westerns you almost or never get to see. Love his singing.

When I was in Germany, I was very surprised to find that a few German radio stations played his music. One I remember when I was in Dingelsdorf-near Lake Konstanz-they played: Rose of San Antone.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Here's an intersting story "Gene Autry's Melody Ranch Memories"

When I bought the old Melody Ranch, as I called it, from Monogram Pictures, it had been used for the filming of hundreds of Western movies with stars like Harry Carey, Johnny Mack Brown, Bob Steele, Tom Tyler and many more.
    My first feat Johnny Mack Brown, Bob Steele, Tom Tyler and many more.
    ure picture for Republic Studios, Tumbling Tumbleweeds, had been filmed at the Placerita Canyon ranch in 1935. Years later, in 1958, John Wayne and I worked there together for Johnny Mack Brown, Bob Steele, Tom Tyler and many more.
    the first time in a television special called "The Western" for the NBC series Wide, Wide World. Directed by John Ford, the 90-minute show was essentially a history of the Western movie, with a cast that included Walter Brennan, Ward Bond, James Arness, Gabby Hayes, James Garner and dozens of familiar cowboy and Indian faces.
    The novelty of working for the first time with John Wayne at Melody Ranch, more than twenty years after we were the first two players under contract when Republic Pictures was formed in 1935, would have been reason enough to remember that day. But what has stayed with me in the years since then was the unique relationship between John Wayne and John Ford.
    John Wayne was a man without pretense. He could be tough and rowdy, but in the presence of Ford, whom he revered, he could be as obedient and innocent as an altar boy. The night before the telecast Duke lost track of the time, did some serious partying, and arrived on the Melody Ranch set two or three hours late with a head quite sensitive to loud noises.
    Ford's voice must have sounded like a hammer beating against the lid of a garbage can. He was furious. He berated Wayne for holding up rehearsal and inconveniencing the rest of the cast. Duke just kept ducking his head and scuffing his toe in the sand and repeating, "I'm sorry, boss."
    Wayne's part required him to walk down the Western street where High Noon's immortal face-down occurred, as he recited his lines from the script. Ford punished him by demanding endless run-throughs over that quarter-mile stretch of red dust, under a blistering desert sun.
    "And you'll not get so much as a drop of water," Ford roared. "Do you HEAR me?"
    "Yes, boss," Wayne replied.
    While the Duke was suffering his penance, Ford sidled up to me and said, "Gene, about twenty minutes before we go on the air I want you to give Duke a good, healthy slug of Bourbon. And halfway through the show, give him another. But don't let him know that I know."
    I understood. I walked over to the ranch house, took a Coke out of the refrigerator, emptied half of it into the sink, and filled up the bottle with Bourbon. As I recall, we rehearsed until four-thirty and were to hit the air live half an hour later, catching the East at prime time.
    Wayne was standing off-camera with his tongue hanging out when I sauntered up to him, holding out the bottle of Coke.
    "Here, Duke," I said. "Have a swallow of this. I think it will help you."
    His face puckered up, and he waved the offer aside with a short chop of his hand.
    "Get that mouthwash away from me," he growled. "You want to get me sick?"
    As sternly as I could, I said, "Duke, I'm telling you, this is just what you need. Try it. Take a sip."
    He looked at me a little suspiciously, took the bottle, and tilted it to his lips. His eyes got as round as saucers. When he handed me the empty he said, "Autry, you may have saved a man's life."
    Halfway through the show I performed the same errand. The second time, Wayne didn't have to be persuaded.
    Years later, after his success in the movie True Grit, I received a package in the mail from Wayne. It contained a glossy photograph of himself as Rooster Cogburn, with the patch over one eye. The inscription said: "To Gene Autry. A lot of water has gone under the bridge. And whiskey, too."

regards,
    Taka

Sometimes kids ask me what a pro is. I just point to the Duke.
    ~Steve McQueen~

• Some of the other people in that large group picture is, Dale Evans right between Roy and Gene, looks like Pat Brady directly on Genes right, Gabby Hayes behind and above Pat Brady, Pat Buttram behind and above Roy, Ralph Edwards of This Is Your Life on Roys left and, Gail Davis(Annie Oakley) on Ralph Edwards left. Wonder if this was from a This Is Your Life show.

And the guy standing to the right of Pat Buttram sure looks like George Gobel to me.

Edited once, last by WaynamoJim: Added content ().

• gene autry is one of my favourite b western actor's.some of his westerns were good and the writing on thoses westerns were better than some of the A westerns that were released in the 40's.his columbia westerns were better than his republic westerns.

• Came across this previous thread
    Does anybody have melody ranch film

has anybody heard of melody ranch if so what is it about thanks mark hutchings

Well from researching
    Duke's Studio Ranches- Melody Ranch

Autry purchased his old stomping grounds, which he renamed "Melody Ranch,"
    and moved into a farm house which still stands on the property.
    Contrary to what one might assume, Autry's weekly television series
    in the 1950s was not filmed at Melody Ranch

but at the
    Rebublic Backlot
    See the thread, and click on the map

Melody Ranch
    The Melody Ranch set was built in 1940
    for the Gene Autry film "Melody Ranch",
    consisting of a ranch house and a barn with a distinctive gambrel roof.
    The barn contained a practical interior.

From the same thread, I have copied this:-

I'd guess that in 1940 Duke was far too busy making his own films like Dark Command (1940), Three Faces West (1940), The Long Voyage Home (1940), and Seven Sinners (1940). I can't imagine in 1940 he'd have the time or inclination to do stunts in a Gene Autry movie, and I'm sure Republic wouldn't want to risk injury to a star performing stunts that could just have easily been done by someone else. Not to mention the fact that Duke was much taller than Gene, so if Duke doubled Gene, I would guess it would be fairly noticeable.

BTW, I do have the DVD of the film Melody Ranch (1940), starring Gene Autry, Jimmy Durante, and Gabby Hayes. It's a pretty good little Autry western. If you like Gene's movies, you'll like it.

I have to agree with the above, for all sorts of reasons,
    it's highly improbable that Duke appeared in this movie, unless
    just as an in-joke with Gene Autry to be say, standing around.
    However stunts, as ejgreen quotes, Not hardly.

There is another Quote in this earlier post:-
    http://www.dukewayne.com/showpost.php?p=79387&postcount=8

Wayne's part required him to walk down the Western street where High Noon's immortal face-down occurred, as he recited his lines from the script. Ford punished him by demanding endless run-throughs over that quarter-mile stretch of red dust, under a blistering desert sun.

but if as the quote says, Duke did play that part,
    he would have surely been in the credits, but he is not!

It is referenced in some books that Duke appeared in the movie,
    including The Official John Wayne Reference Book
    but Duke's name is not mentioned in any Film casts I've seen, including IMDb.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 17 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• THE GENE AUTRY SHOW (1950-1956)

PRODUCED BY LOIS GRAY/ GENE AUTRY
    FLYING 'A' PRODUCTIONS
    COLUMBIA BROADCASTING SYSTEM (CBS)

Information From IMDb

Plot Summary
    The already legendary singing cowboy rode
    with his comic pal Pat from town to town
    bringing justice, song and his horse
    Champion to the old Southwest.
    Written by Ed Stephan

Series Directed
    George Archainbaud (47 episodes, 1950-1955)
    Frank McDonald (16 episodes, 1950-1954)
    D. Ross Lederman (11 episodes, 1951-1954)
    and many others....

Series Cast
    Gene Autry ... Gene Autry / ... (91 episodes, 1950-1955)
    Champion ... Gene's Horse / ... (91 episodes, 1950-1955)
    Pat Buttram ... Pat Buttram / ... (83 episodes, 1950-1955)
    Bob Woodward ... Stagecoach Driver / ... (43 episodes, 1950-1955)
    Frankie Marvin ... Townsman / ... (31 episodes, 1950-1955)
    Art Dillard ... Henchman / ... (26 episodes, 1950-1955)
    Gregg Barton ... Stan Richter / ... (24 episodes, 1950-1955)
    Boyd Stockman ... Stage Driver / ... (22 episodes, 1950-1955)
    Harry Lauter ... Henchman in Plaid Shirt / ... (16 episodes, 1950-1955)
    Gail Davis ... Ann Lawton / ... (15 episodes, 1950-1954)
    Myron Healey ... Blake, Angry Townsman / ... (14 episodes, 1951-1955)
    William Fawcett ... Crazy Charley / ... (13 episodes, 1951-1954)
    and many others notably:-
    Denver Pyle, Alan Hale Jr., Chuck Roberson, Clayton Moore, William Fawcett and Chill Wills

Series Writing Credits
    Eric Freiwald (12 episodes, 1952-1954)
    Robert Schaefer (12 episodes, 1952-1954)
    Dwight Cummins (10 episodes, 1950-1954)
    and many others.....

Series Produced
    Louis Gray .... producer / associate producer (91 episodes, 1950-1955)
    Armand Schaefer .... executive producer (8 episodes, 1950-1952)
    Gene Autry .... executive producer (4 episodes, 1950-1952)

Series Original Music
    Walter Greene (73 episodes, 1950-1955)

Series Cinematography
    William Bradford (86 episodes, 1950-1955)
    Ernest Miller (2 episodes, 1953-1954)

Trivia
    Two-thirds of the way through the first season's production, Pat Buttram was severely injured in an explosion
    and was hospitalized for several months. In order to complete the production run, his sidekick role was filled
    in the remaining episodes by Chill Wills, Fuzzy Knight and Alan Hale Jr.. Wills and Knight wore the same costume
    as Buttram so that long shots of stock footage could be easily used, but there was no disguising Hale's bulk -
    he wore his own distinctive clothing.

Pat Buttram's sidekick character had a different name in the initial episodes filmed in this series -
    as had been the practice in the Gene Autry B-westerns in which Buttram co-starred.
    Due to the TV series' rapid shooting schedule, Autry frequently forgot the name of the character
    Pat played from episode to episode, resulting in a number of botched takes. Autry finally ordered
    his writers to call Pat Buttram's sidekick character "Pat Buttram" in all future scripts to eliminate the problem.

Two 1951 episodes were filmed in color to promote CBS' own color process, which wound up
    not being accepted by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC).

Memorable Quotes
    Gene Autry: Even if the world were a chocolate cake, Mary, there'd still be a few crumbs around.

Gene Autry: Always defend your name, son. Just like you defend your country when you need to.

Filming Locations
    Alabama Hills, Lone Pine, California, USA
    Big Bear Valley, San Bernardino National Forest, California, USA
    Corriganville, Corriganville, Ray Corrigan Ranch, Simi Valley, California, USA
    Iverson Ranch - 1 Iverson Lane, Chatsworth, Los Angeles, California, USA
    Lone Pine, California, USA
    Melody Ranch - 24715 Oak Creek Avenue, Newhall, California, USA
    Pioneertown, California, USA
    Saugus Train Depot, Saugus, California, USA
    Vasquez Rocks Natural Area Park - 10700 W. Escondido Canyon Rd., Agua Dulce, California, USA

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• The Gene Autry Show aired for 91 episodes on CBS from July 23, 1950 until August 7, 1956,
    originally sponsored by Wrigley's Doublemint chewing gum.

Series star Gene Autry had already established his singing cowboy character on radio and the movies.
    Now he and his horse Champion were featured in a weekly television series of western adventures.
    Gene's role changed almost weekly from rancher, to ranch hand, to sheriff, to border agent, etc.
    Gene's usual comic relief and sidekick, Pat, was played by Pat Buttram, better known to later television viewers
    as "Mr Haney" on "Green Acres".
    During the first season, Gene's sidekick was played by Chill Wills twice (as Chill)
    and by Fuzzy Knight four times (as Sagebrush).
    These two actors even wore Pat's costume. Alan Hale, Jr. (a.k.a. - "The Skipper" from "Gilligan's Island")
    played a bad guy in several episodes of Seasons 1 and 2, but he also played Gene's sidekick, Tiny,
    in two episodes of Season 1.

By this time, Autry had established his own production company, Flying 'A' Productions,
    and acted as executive director for the series.

The series lasted 5 seasons. The first 4 were in black and white,
    and the final season (13 episodes) was in color.
    Color was experimented with in two episodes of the first season.
    The theme song Back In the Saddle Again was written by
    Autry and Ray Whitley and sung by Gene Autry.

Being screened the same time as Gene's many films,
    this was a very popular series in the 50's.
    If you note the film locations,
    many are well known to Duke's fans,
    and featured in many of his early films,
    and almost any western made at the time.
    Featured many well known character actors of the time,
    including a few of Duke's 'Pals'
    Chuck Roberson, Denver Pyle, William Fawcett and even Chill Wills,
    who stood in for the injured Pat Buttram in some episodes.
    Even The Lone Ranger, Clayton More shows up!

See also our dedicated thread:-
    Western Screen Legends- Gene Autry

Please note, for continuity, any posts made here,
    will also be copied to the Gene Autry thread

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Gene Autry Show
    Blackwater Valley Feud

Typical Autry, riding along, shoot a few people,
    stop, sing a song to an attentive girl,
    then carry on shooting a few more folk!!

Good fun

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England