Movies About Wyatt Earp And The Gunfight At The Ok Corral

There are 13 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 6,376 times. The latest Post () was by kilo 6.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• In common with alot of the poster here, many / most / all of us not only share an interest in John Wayne movies, but perhaps an interest in the culture and history of the American West.

I just finished rereading a great book about the life of Wyatt Earp and it reminded me about all of the movies that have been made about this legendary character and the famous fight that took place in Tombstone, Arizona on October 26, 1881 - Gunfight at the OK Corral / Hour of The Gun / Wyatt Earp / Tombstone and My Darling Clementine quickly come to mind.

Of these films, my favorite probably has to be Kevin Costner's Wyatt Earp.

Yes - it was essentially panned by the critics for being too long, but I enjoyed it because I thought it provided the most realistic depiction of this very complex man. As well, it gave us a glimpse into the life of Wyatt Earp from a young boy right up to the infamous fight at the OK Corral. And you have to give credit to Dennis Quaid for dropping alot of weight to capture the "tuberculosis" ridden look of Doc Holliday.

Tombstone was also very good, but I thought it was more of an entertaining film - with an incredible Doc Holliday portrayed by Val Kilmer - as opposed to Costner's more ambitious epic film. Kurt Russell's moustache, though, wins hands down of all the Wyatt Earp character's moustaches.

My Darling Clementine is a beautiful John Ford film with Monument Valley again as the backdrop and Henry Fonda is a pillar of integrity and character as Wyatt Earp. However, I thought Victor Mature was a weak and not terribly believable Doc Holliday

The Hour of The Gun stars James Garner as a very passable Wyatt Earp and Jason Robards as Doc and is another one of those very entertaining fims that I can watch a hundred times and never get bored.

Finally, Gunfight at the OK Corral pairs Burt Lancaster as Wyatt Earp and Kirk Douglas as Doc Holliday. An entertaining film, but not one of my favorites,

• Hi Mark,

My favourite 'Earp' films are these, in this order:-

1. Tombstone.
    2. Gunfight at OK Corral.
    3. My Darling Clementine.
    4. Wyatt Earp.
    5. Hour Of The Gun.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• My favorites, in order, are:
    "Gunfight at OK Corral"
    "Tombstone"
    "My Darling Clementine"
    "Wyatt Earp"
    "Hour of the Gun"

Let me make one qualifying remark about the above choices. I liked Val Kilmer's performance as Doc Holliday best of all. He should have won an Oscar for that role.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Hi

Gunfight at the OK Corral is my favourite.

Of My Darling Clementine Ford later said that the fight was exactly as it happened as described to him by Wyatt Earp. Given that Ford used poetic license, I have my doubts. Also the fact that Ford kills off Doc Holliday in the picture has to stretch credibility of his use of the truth, but for all that it was entertaining picture.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi Arthur:

It seems that a few people like Gunfight at The OK Corral as their favorite. I also found it an entertaining film, but I guess it ranked as my lowest in terms of preference for the couple of reasons that you alluded to.

You're right - Doc's death was not even close to the way things played out. I think he was "burned" by a bullet to the hip, but that was the extent of his injuries. Morgan took a serious wound to the shoulder and Virgil took a bullet through the calf - Wyatt was the only person who walked away completely unscathed.

As well, Walter Brennan, who played either the patriarch of the Clanton clan or Ike Clanton (I can't remember which character he played), wasn't even present at the infamous gunfight or didn't die in the fight. And Johnny Ringo, who was killed by Doc Holliday in the movie, also wasn't there.

He apparently died either by his own hands as some speculate or perhaps shot to death by Wyatt Earp after the fight and found propped up next to a tree. In the movie Tombstone, he was done in by Doc Holliday.

Finally, the actual Gunfight at the OK Corral, by every account that I've read, lasted no more than 30 to 45 seconds and when all of the shots were fired, three of the cowboy faction were dead (the McLaurys and Billy Clanton) and 3 of the Earp faction were wounded. In this movie, the gunfight last for a good 15 to 20 minutes.

It was an entertaining movie - no question about it - and on that level, I enjoyed it. But it just seemed to stray too far from the actual events and that's why it's at the bottom of my list.

Mark

• I just wanted to give you guys a heads up, that I moved this thread from General Discussions to Off Topic Discussions. While it is a most interesting topic, General Discussions should be topics directly related to John Wayne.

I, too, like Gunfight at the OK Corral. I own My Darling Clementine, because it was part of a John Ford Collection, but it's not my favorite by any means.

Thanks, Keith, for those links. As you say, interesting reading.

Chester :newyear:

• The four mentioned are by far,
    the best of the OK Corral.
    It is also worth noting that the characters also appear in

Frontier Marshall (1939) Alan Dwan

Early low budget version of the famous Gunfight at OK Corral with Scott as Wyatt Earp and Romero as Doc Holiday
    Earp agrees to become marshal and establish order in Tombstone in this very romanticized version of the gunfight at the O.K. Corral (e.g., Doc is killed by Curley before the actual battle and Earp must do the job alone).

Starred:-

Randolph Scott ... Wyatt Earp
    Nancy Kelly ... Sarah Allen
    Cesar Romero ... John 'Doc' Halliday
    Binnie Barnes ... Jerry
    John Carradine ... Ben Carter
    Edward Norris ... Dan Blackmore
    Eddie Foy Jr. ... Eddie Foy
    Ward Bond ... Town Marshal
    Lon Chaney Jr. ... Pringle
    Chris-Pin Martin ... Pete
    Joe Sawyer ... Curley Bill

Doc (1971) Frank Perry

Review Summary

Most westerns wrap their stories, legends really, with a light clothing of history and period. Any history found in them is usually a mix of legend and fantasy. By way of contrast, in this film, an attempt is made to accurately portray the lives and persons of Doc Holliday, Wyatt Earp, and the now-legendary events that took place in the town of Tombstone. Those looking for fast-paced action will be disappointed in this film, as it deals more in psychological character studies than action. Sheriff Wyatt Earp (Harris Yulin) is shown to be a fairly ordinary politician, and the romance of Doc Holliday (Stacy Keach) and Kate Elder (Faye Dunaway) is highlighted. As it must, however, the film concludes with the well-known gunfight at the O.K. Corral ~ Clarke Fountain, All Movie Guide

Starred:-

Stacy Keach ... Doc Holliday
    Faye Dunaway ... Katie Elder
    Harris Yulin ... Wyatt Earp
    Michael Witney ... Ike Clanton (as Mike Witney)
    Denver John Collins ... The Kid

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Hi Chester:

Thanks for moving this topic to the correct forum. As a relatively new member here, I'm still trying to get the hang of things.

• I found this interesting article concerning early John Wayne history and Wyatt Earp.

Earp eventually moved to Hollywood, where he met several famous and soon to be famous actors on the sets of various movies. On the set of one movie, he met a young extra and prop man who would eventually become John Wayne. Wayne later told Hugh O'Brian that he based his image of the Western lawman on his conversations with Earp. And one of Earp's friends in Hollywood was William S. Hart, a well-known cowboy star of his time. In the early 1920s, Earp served as deputy sheriff in a mostly ceremonial position in San Bernardino County, California

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• "Gunfight at the OK Corral" is a work of beautifully wrought entertainment, based on a factual incident, but not historically correct. Dmitri Tiomkin's musical score and Frankie Laine's balladeering add to the mix and make this my favorite of the "Corral" movies.
    Both "Tombstone" and "My Darling Clemintine" rank a very close second.
    Cheers - Jay:beer:

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• I have to go with Burt Lancaster on this one. Wish that I had seen some of the early versions. Just had an eccentric thought. After winning a LARGE lottery and doing some charitable work, setting up a theatre that only plays westerns, and charges by donation with profits going to projects like museums ( Winterset, 26 bar or western movie location set preservation ) Perhaps the concession could have a chuck wagon theme and there could be guest speakers sharing expertise on Western topics. As the odds on lottery are so poor, anyone who likes this idea and has access to a few million please let me know.
    Sorry proceeds from crime are to complicated no bank or train robbers please. :teeth_smile:

Greetings from North of the 49th