What Are Your Favourite Non-Duke War Movies?

There are 136 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 83,935 times. The latest Post () was by 4782UU.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Carl,
    You mentioned your list on a Classic War Movie thread,
    is this the list you were referring to?

Hi Keith, it is and, I can easily expand on that list no problem. If you need any help in that area, please give me a hollar and i'll be glad to help in any way I can.

Take care and best regards-Carl.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Here's one that hasn't been mentioned yet that I like is FULL METAL JACKET. That's when I first discovered R. Lee Ermey and have enjoyed some of his other movies. Anybody here ever watch mail call on The History Channel?

FMJ is a great Nam War Movie aint it? ;-)) It's my second favorite-the first of course being Duke's The Green Berets. :teeth_smile:

Also, yep, I used to watch The Gunny on Mail Call. Still do when I can find it on THC.

• A few foreign war movies that I can think of that I liked much are:

Die Brucke-which was directed by Bernhard Wicki-the very same Gent who directed the German Battle Scenes in: The Longest Day.

Der Teufels General-both original and remake.

Hitler: The Last Ten Days.

U 571.

Kapo.

Five Branded Women.

Non foreign

The Vikings (can't remember if that one was mentioned?)

The Longships.

WWIII.

They Came To Cordura.

March or Die.

The Inglorious B@$t@rd$.

No Man Is An Island.

The War Lover.

The Dambusters.

Persuit of the Graf Spee.

Zeppelin.

Biggles: Adventures in Time.

The Buccanneer.

Spartacus.

The Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire.

The Land That Time Forgot.

Colonel Redl.

Straff Bataillon 999.

Cross of Iron.

Downfall.

The Battle of Britain. (At this point, im not sure if it has already been mentioned and have to assume so)

The Wild Geese.

Ice Station Zebra (Ok not 'zactly a war movie-but Cold War)

Austerlitz.

Napoleon.

All 15 titles to the Sharpes Rifles series. These are the ones with Sean Bean in them as Sharpe.

All eight Horatio Hornblower titles. Ill fill them in later-same as above.

• This is one of 3 requests, I've had to spotlight a movie.
    This was made in 1951,about the end days of WW11,
    I have not seen this movie, so hopefully my friend The Ringo Kid,
    will add his very own movie review.

Ethan,

I'm not sure if there's a thread for movie requests, but one of my favorite WWII movies is The Heroes of Telemark (1965) starring Kirk Douglas and Richard Harris. This movie is about the Norwegian resistance movement during the war, and how a small group of resistance fighters prevented the Nazis from developing the atomic bomb. It was shot on location in Norway and features breathtaking scenery (including a great, exciting chase on skis) and a memorable musical score. I wish this movie was available on DVD here in the US, it would certainly be at or near the top of my DVD "wish list."

"I am not intoxicated - yet." McLintock!

• Ethan,

I'm not sure if there's a thread for movie requests, but one of my favorite WWII movies is The Heroes of Telemark (1965) starring Kirk Douglas and Richard Harris. This movie is about the Norwegian resistance movement during the war, and how a small group of resistance fighters prevented the Nazis from developing the atomic bomb. It was shot on location in Norway and features breathtaking scenery (including a great, exciting chase on skis) and a memorable musical score. I wish this movie was available on DVD here in the US, it would certainly be at or near the top of my DVD "wish list."

Ej there is indeed a thread where you can add your favourite war movies, and here it is.
    I will post The Heroes of Telemark for you.

Thanks for your support.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• I watched a brand-new release this afternoon which is probably destined to become one of my favorite non-Duke war movies. The title was "Stop-Loss" and it starred several new actors with whom I am completely unfamiliar but all of whom did a bang-up job. The war in question is that in Iraq.

"Stop-Loss" is the term for a procedure used by the U.S. Army to hold soldiers past their contractual discharge date because of "exigencies of the service". While courts have held that the procedure is legal, it is IMO a totally unprincipled and underhanded act that should be outlawed. It is IMO a form of conscription similiar to the press gangs employed by the Royal Navy of long ago. Because the draft would be electoral poison for the political clowns in Washington, the Army uses Stop-Loss as a way to fill ranks that would be otherwise seriously depleted.

Anyway, this is a very good movie and I recommend it. The dialogue is not suitable for small children, naturally. I have to admit that there were a couple of places in this film that brought tears to my eyes, since I could relate to the events depicted.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Another war movie I liked, though it is a little slow, is "The Bridge at Remagen," about the famous incident toward the end of WWII when the Germans failed to demolish the last bridge over the Rhine trying to forstall the Allies from getting into Germany proper.

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• If there is anymore War Movies that you think are worthy
    of being included in the Classic War Movies,
    please post them here

Hi Keith, there are so many that are worthy of being in your War Movies section. A few more I can think of that have not been mentioned are:

Straf Bataillon 999 (Punishment Battalion 999)
    Le Grande Illusion (The Great Illusion)
    Did I fail to mention DUNKIRK? If I did, that's embarassing.
    The: 08/15 trilogy.
    Battleship Potemkin.

Give me time, I will be able to mention more ;-))

Best regards-C.

• Hi WaynamoJ/ I too have always liked Desperate Journey. Errol Flynn, Alan Hale Sr. Ronald Reagan and Arthur Kennedy were all great. Their main German nemisis was Raymond Massey-who I thought made a great adversary of theirs.

All the other titles you mentioned are great and favorites of mine too.

Two more that come to mind that I can mention that are "decent" at best but should be mentioned for fans of Alan Ladd, are:

The Deep Six, & All the Young Men.

Edited once, last by The Ringo Kid ().

• Some more War Classics that could be of interest:-
    Desert Rats, starring Richard Burton, James Mason and Robert Newton. D - Day 6 June, Starring Richard Todd, Robert Mitchum and Edmund O'Brien. Morning Departure, starring Sir John Mills, Nigel Patrick, Richard Attenborough. Reach for the Sky, starring Kenneth More, Muriel Pavlow. Battle of the River Plate,
    starring John Gregson, Peter Finch, Anthony Quayle. Above us the Waves, starring Sir John Mills, Donald Sinden, John Gregson.
    These are just a few of my collection I hope that some of you enjoy them as much as I do.
    Regards
    Redcap

RACMP - For the troops With the troops

• One that I had always heard about, but had never seen-that is-until it was played last month on TCM, is: "The Commandoes Strike at Dawn" w/ Paul Muni. This movie is about the Germans invasion of Norway - the occupation of - and the start up of the Norwegian Resistance Movement. The movie was excellent all the way through.

Keith, if you see this post-please post this movie. It's one that doesn't seem to get much in the way of airtime on TV.

• One of mine is the Great Escape. I didn't have it on DVD and found it yesterday in the $5 bin. McQueen, Atterburrough, Garner,Bronson to name a few of the good actors.
    I plan on watching it tonight.:teeth_smile:

• I would have to say Zulu is my over all favourite film.
    So much so i joined the 1879group and have been to Rorkes Drift and Isandlwana twice. I took part in the 125th anniversary reeenactment and got to fire my Martini Henry on the site of the battles with the Zulus.A fantastic couple of trips
    Bought a six gun and a cowboy hat i wonder !!

So much so i joined the 1879group and have been to Rorkes Drift and Isandlwana twice. I took part in the 125th anniversary reeenactment and got to fire my Martini Henry on the site of the battles with the Zulus.A fantastic couple of trips

Excellent choice - it's a great movie.

I envy your trips to the scene where the battles took place.

De gustibus non est disputandum

Hey Scottie, I noticed you're new here. Did you used to post over on the old alamofilmsite.com and Flags Of Our Fathers site? I remember a guy over there, can't remember his username but, he was really into Zulu battles.

• Something else, maybe not be gung ho fighting but worth a mention. A BBC production called "The Blitz" showing the German fire bomb raid 23 - 24 December 1940, when the centre of London was subject to continuous raids. The bravery of the fire fighters is worth watching. I have both episodes on DVD and still marvel at the courage of these people.
    Regards
    Redcap

RACMP - For the troops With the troops