What Are Your Favourite Non-Duke War Movies?

There are 136 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 83,917 times. The latest Post () was by 4782UU.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• One film that I found good was "Angels One Five" starring John Gregson, Humphrey Lestoq and Michael Dennison. The story of a young pilot in the Battle of Britain and the scrapes and eventual demise of him. Not in a Spitfire squadron but with Hurricanes, which plane actually accounted for more enemy aircraft than the Spitfire. Not enough credit is given to the Hurricane which flew in all areas of combat.
    Regards
    Redcap

RACMP - For the troops With the troops

• Another DVD I have recently purchased is "Sharpe's Challenge" which goes on to the end of the original series and Sharpe meets up with an old adversary. Well worth a look.
    Redcap

• My favorite non duke war movies would easily be the Big Red One, Patton, and the Dirty Dozen.

• One of my favorite non-Duke war movie has to be The Great Escape. I really like James Gardner as the scrounger. That part just fit him well. Steve McQueen is good too as the cooler king.

Cheers :cool:

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Another good film is "One of Our Aircraft is Missing" starring Eric Portman. A story of a Wellington bomber crew who baled out over Holland.
    Redcap

• Hi

The Daily Mail is giving away 13 war film DVDs starting with the Dambusters, Ice Cold in Alex, Millions Like Us, The One That Got Away, The First of the few, Sword of Honour, The Wooden Horse, They Who Dare, Sea of Sand, The Way to the Stars, Angels One Five, Hell in the Pacific and Dunkirk.

Quite a few of my favourites in that selection.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• One for the book, "The Odd Angry Shot" starring Graham Kennedy. An Australian look at the war in Vietnam. Shows how we lived up to our names as larrikins.

Redcap

• does a hd movie look that much better than regular dvd?

We have had the HD vs non-HD discussion many times over the years that I have been here. For an enthusiast it will be more noticeable as well as if you are watching it on a big screen TV. Smaller screens tend to not be as noticeable for non HD content. Also, the source must be clean. I have seen some really bad HD transfers from regular DVD to HD media and the regular actually does look better. To answer your question though, yes, HD is a big improvement over regular DVD. I have "The Searchers" on regular DVD and on Blu-Ray and the Blu-Ray blows it away.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• We have had the HD vs non-HD discussion many times over the years that I have been here. For an enthusiast it will be more noticeable as well as if you are watching it on a big screen TV. Smaller screens tend to not be as noticeable for non HD content. Also, the source must be clean. I have seen some really bad HD transfers from regular DVD to HD media and the regular actually does look better. To answer your question though, yes, HD is a big improvement over regular DVD. I have "The Searchers" on regular DVD and on Blu-Ray and the Blu-Ray blows it away.

That's very impressive, then. I bought The Searchers a few years back when it came out on DVD as being remastered and it was like watching a totally brand new movie. One side was Fullscreen, the other Widescreen and, I watched the WS because the colors and the definition were so vivid it was fantastic. I'd love to see it in Blu-Ray. I probably wouldn't be able to stop watching it. Would love to see The Alamo in Blu-Ray.

• That's very impressive, then. I bought The Searchers a few years back when it came out on DVD as being remastered and it was like watching a totally brand new movie. One side was Fullscreen, the other Widescreen and, I watched the WS because the colors and the definition were so vivid it was fantastic. I'd love to see it in Blu-Ray. I probably wouldn't be able to stop watching it. Would love to see The Alamo in Blu-Ray.

Always remember, Jim, that it never stops. Technological advances are an ongoing process and about the time you think you've seen it all, they come out with something "new and improved". And almost always costlier, as it's all about money.

De gustibus non est disputandum