What Are Your Favourite Non-Duke War Movies?

There are 136 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 83,904 times. The latest Post () was by 4782UU.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• The remake of the "Dam Busters" is scheduled to start this year with more access to details that were not available in the first film. However Richard Todd and Michael Redgrave portrayed their characters so well that they will have to come up with people who can emulate them.
    Redcap

RACMP - For the troops With the troops

• Another DVD to watch out for is "Sharpe's Peril" again set in India and is a follow on to "Sharpe's Challenge".
    Redcap

• I would imagine that the remake of Dam Busters will change the name of the pilot's dog to a more politically correct name, but I don't really mind. It was offensive and jarring hearing it on the dvd for the first time. I think it had been changed to "Blackie" or something on American TV. It sort of diverted my attention from the story.
    If the special effects are not over the top - OK, here comes the CGI scene - now, back to our movie - it should be an improvement over the 1954 version.
    Don't look forward to many new movies, and loathe remakes of good films, but not this one.

We deal in lead, friend.

• Hi Keith and other Mods. I was not sure where to put this so its at your descrition. Anyway, I was wondering oif you cna please p[lace up here movies like: Counterpoint, A Time To Lova And A Time To Die, The Way To The Stars, Sink the Bismarck, etc.

Take care--Carl.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Hi Keith and other Mods. I was not sure where to put this so its at your descrition. Anyway, I was wondering oif you cna please p[lace up here movies like: Counterpoint, A Time To Lova And A Time To Die, The Way To The Stars, Sink the Bismarck, etc.

Take care--Carl.

Hi Carl,

this is where you posted your other favourites.
    I used the term 'Classic' and from the one's you mentioned,
    I think that 'Sink The Bismarck' fits the bill,
    and I'll take a look at the others as well.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited once, last by ethanedwards ().

• To all the Desparate Journey lovers on here. Just to let you know that next Thursday, Feb 4th at 9:15 am, the Errol Flynn-Ronald Reagan movie will be on TCM. So, if you want to record it on whatever recorders you have hooked up, go to it.

• Got a fairly new list of war movies here. Some are not on DVD yet but, hopefully one day.
    Battle Cry
    In Love And War w/ Robert Wagner, Jeff Hunter and, Bradford Dillman
    The Frogmen
    The Hunters
    The War Lover
    No Man Is An Island
    Men In War
    The Naked And The Dead

• I have "Battle Cry" and "The Frogmen" on commercially-produced DVDs.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• I have just watched "DUNKIRK" agin and I always seem to see more each time I watch it. Starring John Mills, Bernard Lee, Richard Attenborough and Robert Urquhart. To me still a classic movie especially with John Mills and Bernard Lee.

Redcap

• Another film I have that I enjoy is "Appointment in London" starring Dirk Bogarde. About a bomber squadron and what happens to them whe they attend a medal investiture in London.
    Redcap

• classic war movie;valkyrie

I'm not sure we could yet classify it as a "classic" but it definitely was above average and historically very accurate. Considering it starred Tom Cruise, I was surprised it was as good as it was and true to history too.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• I have just watched "Victory" again on DVD and still think that the football scenes are amongst the best I've seen especially with John Wark, Bobby Moore, Ossie Ardiles and Pele. I was fortunate enough to meet Pele when he visited England in 1960.
    Redcap

• Won't make a big list as many have been already mentioned. Being C.O. of the 501st reenacted I am a bit biased and love BoB. Have reenacted WWII for almost 30 years and known many of these veterans. God Bless them all!
    But one movie I have always loved and not mentioned yet that I saw is The Story of G.I. Joe with Robert Mitchum and Burgess Merideth as Ernie Pyle.

• My favorite Vietnam movie has always been Burt Lancaster's Go Tell the Spartans. It portrays a realistic view of the war, without all the anti-American histrionics of Oliver Stone's movie. Great acting by Burt, Marc Singer, Evan Kim, and a young Jonathan Goldsmith, years before he became The Most Interesting Man in the World.

"I am not intoxicated - yet." McLintock!

• My favorite Vietnam movie has always been Burt Lancaster's Go Tell the Spartans. It portrays a realistic view of the war, without all the anti-American histrionics of Oliver Stone's movie. Great acting by Burt, Marc Singer, Evan Kim, and a young Jonathan Goldsmith, years before he became The Most Interesting Man in the World.

Thanks ej, I have also copied your post here

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England