The Adventures of Rin Tin Tin (1954-1959)

There are 10 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 11,401 times. The latest Post () was by Paul Munds.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• THE ADVENTURES OF RIN TIN TIN

SCREEN GEMS/ ABC TELEVISION

Information From IMDb

Plot Summary
    Rust was orphaned in an Indian raid. He and his dog Rin Tin Tin
    were adopted by the troops at Fort Apache AZ and helped
    establish law and order in and around Mesa Grande.
    Written by Ed Stephan

Series Cast
    Lee Aaker ... Rusty (162 episodes, 1954-1959)
    James Brown ... Lt. Ripley 'Rip' Masters / ... (162 episodes, 1954-1959)
    Flame Jr. ... Rin Tin Tin / ... (143 episodes, 1954-1959)
    Joe Sawyer ... Sgt. Biff O'Hara / ... (14 episodes, 1954-1959)
    Rin Tin Tin II ... Rin Tin Tin (13 episodes, 1954-1955)
    William Forrest ... Major Swanson / ... (10 episodes, 1954-1957)
    1954-1957)
    And many others, notably:-
    William Fawcett ... Captain Longey / ... (6 episodes, 1954-1957)
    Leo Gordon ... Charlie / ... (3 episodes, 1954-1956)
    Monte Blue ... Buffalo Horn / ... (3 episodes, 1957-1959)

Series Directed
    William Beaudine (19 episodes, 1957-1959)
    Robert G. Walker (7 episodes, 1954-1958)
    And others.....

Series Produced
    Herbert B. Leonard

Series Writing Credits
    Douglas Heyes, Roy Erwin
    Lee Berg, Hugh King

Trivia
    The series was shot on the set of the John Ford western Fort Apache (1948)

The success of The Adventures of Rin Tin Tin caused the cancellation of Gene Autry's The Adventures of Champion on CBS, which was replaced on February 10, 1956, by My Friend Flicka.

Filming Locations
    Bronson Canyon, Griffith Park - 4730 Crystal Springs Drive, Los Angeles, California, USA
    Chatsworth Reservoir, Chatsworth, Los Angeles, California, USA
    Corriganville, Ray Corrigan Ranch, Simi Valley, California, USA
    Melody Ranch - 24715 Oak Creek Avenue, Newhall, California, USA
    Vasquez Rocks Natural Area Park - 10700 W. Escondido Canyon Rd., Agua Dulce, California, USA

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 9 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• The Adventures of Rin Tin Tin is an American children's television program,
    which originally aired in 166 episodes on ABC from October 1954 until August 1959.
    It starred child actor Lee Aaker as Rusty, a boy orphaned in an Indian raid,
    who was being raised by the soldiers at a US Cavalry post known in the series as Fort Apache.
    He and his German shepherd dog, Rin Tin Tin, helped the soldiers to establish order in the American West.
    Texas-born actor James Brown appeared in every episode as Lieutenant Ripley "Rip" Masters
    . Co-stars included veteran actor Joe Sawyer and actor Rand Brooks from Gone with the Wind fame.

Had to profile this series for two reasons.
    Firstly it was a great childrens series and so popluar,
    that even a Gene Autry series had to be cancelled to make way
    for the airing of the show.
    Rin Tin Tin was a true TV western legend.

Secondly, it was filmed on the set of
    John Ford's, Fort Apache!
    Not many folks know that!!

The article below sums up I suppose all our feelings,
    they sure were innocent times!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 6 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• Keith,
    This may have been answered in one of your previous threads that I have forgotten or missed, but were all these childrens TV Cowboy shows that we here in the US grew up on in the 50's and 60's also being shown at the same time in Great Britain?

Chester :newyear:

No Jim, not mentioned before
    Indeed they were on TV here, and along with Duke's early
    movies at the Saturday matinees, very much part of our childhood.
    I have included this one along with the other's
    as they were extremely popular, often eclipsing
    the adult shows.
    As some of us were all young at that time, I am sure
    they were all watched by most of our mature members

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited once, last by ethanedwards ().

• There was one episode of this series that featured Lt. Rip Masters leading a mounted patrol and singing a theme "Ride out, you men of Fort Apache".
    I imagine, and perhaps hope, that the song is lost to the ages, but if anyone can locate it, they're on this forum.

We deal in lead, friend.

• I distinctly remember the white buffalo episode and James Brown as Masters singing that Ride Out song. In fact, he sang in the white buffalo episode too, about the white buffalo. Another favorite of mine. I remember it was on Friday nights, around 7:30 on ABC.
    And a piece of trivia about Rand Brooks who played Corp. Boone. He played Scarlet O'Haras first husband in Gone With The Wind. He was Charles Hamilton, brother to Olivia DeHavillands Melanie Hamilton Wilkes and who won Scarlets hand only because Scarlet figured this would keep her close to Ashley Wilkes.

• I have just bought rin tin tin in colour vol 1.the colour is good quailty.rin tin tin never looked so good in colour or the fort apache location in corriganville.

• thanks for the links keith the ranches posts are excellent.i always try to spot the fort or any other location in corriganville that was in fort apache that was used in others westerns.

• The Wainscott White Buffalo Gang of 1955
    The Wainscott White Buffalo Gang was formed after we watched a life-changing episode (for young boys) of Rin Tin Tin in our back parlour on our tiny black and white TV. The gang was originally called ‘The Red Hand Gang’ and we haunted the back alleyways around the Wainscott Walk. We had a nemesis gang called ‘The ‘Erberts’ that was made up of a combination of Herbert boys, Grants, Smiths and Disneys. As a gang we would meet in my dad’s shed at the bottom of our garden at 30 Wainscott Road where candles would be lit, oaths of undying allegiance taken and our own version of poker played for monopoly money. One fateful Wednesday in a school holiday we were all watching an episode of Rin Tin Tin (Shandy’s favourite TV show) and this episode entitled ‘The White Buffalo’ made such an impression on us that our gang immediately changed its name to ‘The White Buffalo Gang’. You would really need to watch it to understand exactly what happened to us (it’s still obtainable on the internet I believe (dailymotion.com/video/x48309a) – and various forums confirm that many other boys from here and across the ocean in the USA at that time were similarly spiritually affected). Basically, bad white buffalo hunters were killing these animals willy-nilly (Buffalo Bill please take note!). The Indians who depended on the buffalo for meat, clothing etc. tried to stop them. The US cavalry stepped in to mediate between the two sides. Rusty and Rin Tin Tin were told the legend of the white buffalo by the indian chief (the white buffalo would appear only once in a brave’s lifetime to avert imminent danger and disaster – but only if that warrior’s heart was brave and true). The bad white hunters asked the US cavalry captain just who’s side he was on – theirs or the dastardly red-skins? The captain said that he was on the side that was right. The baddie tries to escape and stampedes a whole herd of buffalo. The buffalo trample him. Rusty runs but the herd is still stampeding – oooer missus! The white buffalo appears on the hilltop (cue heroic music) and stops the stampeding herd –. Rusty tells his story and get made an honorary member of the tribe. Well I can tell you that we were well and truly moved by that story and the White Buffalo Gang was immediately formed (you could only become a member if your heart was brave and true). Membership cards were carefully crafted. Mysterious white buffaloes were chalked on Wainscott Walk walls and on paved footpaths. One even mysteriously appeared on Mrs. Herbert’s front door!
    Our hearts were brave and true.
    Happy days, huh!