The Life and Times of Grizzly Adams (1977–1978)

There are 2 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 10,041 times. The latest Post () was by ringo kid.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• THE LIFE AND TIMES
    OF GRIZZLY ADAMS

SUNN CLASSIC PICTURES
    NATIONAL BROADCASTING CORPORATION (NBC)

Information From IMDb

Plot Summary
    In the 1850s, a farmer named James Adams is accused of a crime he didn't commit
    and must flee into the mountains.
    There, he rescues and cares for an abandoned grizzly bear cub
    who subsequently grows into a powerful adult companion named Ben.
    In addition, Adams learns that he has an uncanny link to much of the
    wildlife of the region who interact with him on their own without fear or aggression.
    Now "Grizzly" Adams lives in the wilderness with only an old trader
    named Mad Jack and an Native American named Nakuma
    as his only regular human friends.
    There he meets and aids a variety of visitors who usually unused
    to the dangers this beautiful land can have.
    Unfortunately, while he protects the wildlife from unnecessary harm,
    he still must be watchful for the bounty hunters looking for the price on his head.
    Written by Kenneth Chisholm

Series Cast
    Dan Haggerty ... James 'Grizzly' Adams (37 episodes, 1977-1978)
    Denver Pyle ... Mad Jack (37 episodes, 1977-1978)
    Don Shanks ... Nakoma (36 episodes, 1977-1978)
    John Bishop ... Robbie Cartman (5 episodes, 1977-1978)
    Jack Kruschen (2 episodes, 1977-1978)

Series Directed
    Jack B. Hively (15 episodes, 1977-1978)
    Richard Friedenberg (10 episodes, 1977-1978)
    James L. Conway (4 episodes, 1977)
    Sharron Miller (4 episodes, 1977)

Series Produced
    Leonard B. Kaufman .... producer (4 episodes, 1977)
    Arthur Stolnitz .... producer (2 episodes, 1977)
    Charles E. Sellier Jr. .... executive producer (unknown episodes)

Series Writing Credits
    Charles E. Sellier Jr. (16 episodes, 1977)
    Malvin Wald (9 episodes, 1977-1978)
    Leonard B. Kaufman (6 episodes, 1977-1978)
    Jack Jacobs (5 episodes, 1978)
    and others...

Series Original Music
    Bob Summers (1 episode, 1978)

Trivia
    Ben, the bear was played by Bozo and Mad Jack's mule was Number 7.

Mad Jack: [title sequence narration]
    They call me Mad Jack, and if there is anybody in these mountains that knows the real story about James Adams, that'd be me. So I'm putting it down in writing just how it happened in hopes of setting the record straight. Well, my friend Adams was accused of a crime he didn't commit, so he escaped into the mountains, leaving behind the only life that he ever knew. Now that wilderness out there ain't no place for a greenhorn and his chances of survivin' were mighty slim. Weren't no time at all before he was beaten down, ragged and nearly starved. Long about then, he came upon a grizzly bear cub, all alone and helpless. Now Adams knew that little critter couldn't survive without his help; so he started right down that cliff, risking his own life to save it.

Memorable Quote
    [chuckles]
    Mad Jack: Now that cub took to Adams right off. And that was when he discovered that he had special kind of way with animals; They'd just come right up to him like he was a natural part of the wilderness. But that bear cub, he was extra special. As he growed, he became the best friend Adams ever had, and together, they became a legend.

Filming Locations
    Park City, Utah, USA
    Payson, Arizona, USA
    Ruidoso, New Mexico, USA

Opening Titles

[extendedmedia]

[/extendedmedia]

Wonderful Theme Song

[extendedmedia]

[/extendedmedia]

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 7 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• The Life and Times of Grizzly Adams is a 1972 novel by Charles E. Sellier Jr..
    There is a 1974 film based on the novel, a two-season NBC television series, and a 1982 TV movie.
    The title character, played by Dan Haggerty, is loosely based on the actual trapper James "Grizzly" Adams.

The series was concluded with a 1982 TV movie called The Capture of Grizzly Adams
    where a bounty hunter used Adams's daughter — not seen or mentioned since the 1974 film
    — to draw him back to civilization. In the end, Adams proved his innocence.
    NBC aired this 2 hour finale on February 21, 1982.

Dan Haggerty, Denver Pyle, Don Shanks as Nakoma,
    were wonderful in their roles in this childhood favourite.
    Some say that if the kids today had folks like this to watch,
    they would all be better off, and others think differently,
    that he abandoned his wife and childen ran away and left them all to it!!
    Whichever side you take, it will not spoil the enjoyment.
    However there is no doubt that the attitudes of a few bears
    would benefit from watching Ben!!

Superb series and I am sure a favourite amongst all.

i really enjoyed watching the grizzly adams series on tv it made for good family watching then it suddenly disappeared off our tv and was never seen again.

User Review

a forgotten classic, please remember it!!!!
    12 September 2003 | by dtucker86 (Germany)

Sunn Classic Pictures was a movie company out of Salt Lake City Utah that made a lot of good high quality films in the 1970's. Films like The Mysterious Monsters, In Search Of Noah's Ark, The Lincoln Conspiracy, Beyond And Back, The Bermuda Triangle and In Search Of Historic Jesus. This tv series was a forgotten jem. It is an absolute atrocity that people do not remember it or cannot see it today, especially in the light of the trash that they call tv shows they shove down people's throats. Dan Hagerty and Denver Pyle did a wonderful job in creating a fine show that the whole family can enjoy. Grizzly Adams was a tv hero that kids can look up to. We need him today more then ever. I watched this show growing up in Fairmont, West Virginia and have such fond memories of it. They need to put it into syndication. Shows like this and Little House On The Prarie and Doctor Quinn Medicine Woman teach such important lessons to our children. A great tv journalist named Edward R. Murrow once said that without a social conscience, tv is a horrible weapon and will corrupt our children. By the way, I loved the song for this tv show "Maybe, theres a world that we won't have to run maybe, theres a time we call our own living free in harmony....take me home, take me home.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 9 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• i grew up watching grizzly adams.the title song is just amazing.dan haggerty denver pyle and don shanks were great in their roles.it is still a favourite of mine.