'Doc' (1971)

There are 9 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 20,192 times. The latest Post () was by Dooley.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• 'DOC'

DIRECTED AND PRODUCED BY FRANK PERRY
    FP FILMS

Information from IMDb

Plot Summary
    One night of 1881, Doc Holliday, a famous poker gambler, enters the 'No Name Saloon'.
    There, he challenges a man to poker, betting his horse against his opponent's wife.
    Doc wins and from now on, Katie Fisher, also known as Katie Elder,
    will follow him wherever he goes.
    Their next destination is Tombstone, where the law is represented by Sheriff Wyatt Earp.
    When they arrive, the election campaign is in full swing.
    Earp runs for candidate but the Clantons, a family gang of outlaw cowboys,
    are not among his keenest supporters.
    Conflict erupts following the failure of some shadowy bargaining and Doc
    decides to join Wyatt and his brothers.
    The four of them gather at the O.K. Corral
    where the seven Clanton brothers are waiting for them.
    Written by Guy Bellinger

Full Cast
    Stacy Keach ... Doc Holliday
    Faye Dunaway ... Katie Elder
    Harris Yulin ... Wyatt Earp
    Michael Witney ... Ike Clanton (as Mike Witney)
    Denver John Collins ... The Kid
    Dan Greenburg ... Clum
    John Scanlon ... Bartlett
    Richard McKenzie ... Behan
    John Bottoms ... Virgil Earp
    Philip Shafer ... Morgan Earp (as Phil Shafer)
    Ferdinand Zogbaum ... James Earp
    Penelope Allen ... Mattie Earp
    Hedy Sontag ... Alley Earp
    James Greene ... Frank McLowery
    Antonia Rey ... Concha
    Marshall Efron ... Mexican Bartender
    Fred Dennis ... Johnny Ringo
    Bruce M. Fischer ... Billy Clanton
    Gene Collins ... Hotel Clerk
    Vivian Allen ... Whore (uncredited)
    Florencio Amarilla ... Man (uncredited)
    Luis Barboo ... (uncredited)
    Per Barclay ... Clanton Cowboy (uncredited)
    Henri Bidon ... Clanton Cowboy (uncredited)
    Sharon Fruitin ... Whore (uncredited)
    Mart Hulswit ... Reverend Foster (uncredited)
    Gene Reyes ... Wong, Chinese Opium Den Owner (uncredited)
    Lucy Tiller ... Whore (uncredited)
    Dan van Husen ... Clanton Cowboy (uncredited)

Writing Credits
    Pete Hamill (written by)

Original Music
    Jimmy Webb

Cinematography
    Gerald Hirschfeld

Trivia
    Doc won the 1971 Western Writers of America Spur Award for the Best Movie Script by Peter Hamill.

Goofs
    Revealing mistakes
    When playing a card game, Doc bets his horse against Kate. When Doc shuffles the cards, he lays them on the table for Ike to cut. Ike cuts the deck to Doc's left. The camera angle when Doc picks up the cards, is from behind him and Doc picks the cards on the left and puts them back on the deck the way they were before Ike cut them.

Memorable Quotes

Filming Locations
    Cabo de Gata, Almería, Andalucía, Spain
    Tabernas, Almería, Andalucía, Spain

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited once, last by ethanedwards ().

• Probably the most negative and historically incorrect of
    all the Wyatt Earp movies, and portraying him as the bad-guy.

Doc is a 1971 film, which tells the story of the gunfight at the O.K. Corral
    and of one of its protagonists, Doc Holliday.
    It stars Stacy Keach, Faye Dunaway and Harris Yulin.
    It was directed by Frank Perry, while Pete Hamill wrote the original screenplay.
    The film was shot in Almeria in southern Spain.

User Review

the o.k. corral again, only this time Wyatt Earp's the badguy
    20 March 2006 | by dougbrode (United States)

The way director Frank Perry and screenwriter Pete Hamill must have figured it, if George Custer could go from a hero to a villain after the impact of one movie - Arthur Penn's Little Big Man - then they could similarly destroy the lofty reputation of Wyatt Earp with a degrading film portrait. Here's their problem: Little Big Man, however fair or unfair it is to Custer, is terrific film-making from beginning to end. Not so this utter disaster of an attempt to make a revisionist western of the type so popular in the early seventies, when the youth movement and hippie era allowed for nasty portraits of the military and the police on screen, just so long as they were set back in a period of history so that no one around today would get too offended. Harris Yulin is a lackluster Earp, who with Doc Holliday (Stacy Keach) and Kate Fisher/Elder (Fay Dunaway) head for Tombstone. In this version, they don't go there to provide true law in the best sense but to use the law to make money. There certainly is a certain amount of truth in that, but the film errs by trying to offer a corrective to the mythic Earp and Company and so, to alleviate all the whitewashing, paints them dirty colors instead. The people who like this movie are the ones who believe that anything 'negative' is also 'realistic,' which doesn't happen to be the case. In this anti-Earp diatribe, history is rewritten even more ludicrously than it was in the pro-Earp films that preceded and followed this one. "Hello, Bones" Kate says to Doc; "Hello, bitch," he replies. Think that's clever? If you do, this film's for you. On the other hand, if you want to see an absolutely brilliant revisionist film about law and order in the west, check out Robert Altman's McCabe and Mrs. Miller, made about the same time, and a truly great film that achieves what Doc tries and fails to do. The O.K. Corral gunfight has never bee so totally misrepresented as it is here, even though the attitude of the filmmakers is that "we're telling you the truth for the first time." They simply replace positive lies with negative ones. Another historical gaff: The Tombstone Epitaph is portrayed (along with its editor John Clum) as being anti-Earp, when they were pro-Earp; the Nugget, another paper, was the anti-Earp one

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited once, last by ethanedwards ().

• Not only is this sludge poorly photographed, acted and scripted, it's been edited, apparently with a cleaver, to exclude almost all the squib hits. Not that it would have helped in any way at all. As I think about it, the less film frames of this overwritten, self important turd is a good thing.

We deal in lead, friend.

• Well, Mr. Gorch. I would say you most certainly did not like this movie at all! And thanks to you, it will NOT go on my list, LOL. Thanks, KP

God, she reminds me of me! DUKE

• Keith, you made the absolute correct move as a moderator. It has to be included in order for the thread to be complete. What we do with the topics that you provide is just our own opinions.
    In fact, I'd like to offer my thanks and appreciation to you for the unheralded work and thought that you put into your role.

We deal in lead, friend.

• Keith, you made the absolute correct move as a moderator. It has to be included in order for the thread to be complete. What we do with the topics that you provide is just our own opinions.
    In fact, I'd like to offer my thanks and appreciation to you for the unheralded work and thought that you put into your role.

We deal in lead, friend.

Thank you so much.
    In fact, if you notice I even changed the header's to
    The Wyatt Earp Movies from Classic Movie Westerns,
    so that members didn't think in anyway,
    that I thought all of them as 'Classics'

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Thank you so much.
    In fact, if you notice I even changed the header's to
    The Wyatt Earp Movies from Classic Movie Westerns,
    so that members didn't think in anyway,
    that I thought all of them as 'Classics'

Really glad you posted this one Keith.
    It was on my list of westerns to buy... It isn't any more!
    I have no problem with stories challenging myths, look a Buffalo Bill starring Paul Newman, but not if it's complete fiction.
    I now have a morbid curiosity about the film and, ironically, may watch just for that reason!:wink_smile:

"Pour yourself some backbone and shut up!"