THREE BAD MEN: John Ford, John Wayne, Ward Bond

There are 133 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 92,438 times. The latest Post () was by Paula.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Much thanks to Keith once again. I really appeciate the attention given to my books, especially THREE BAD MEN, which I hope everyone enjoys. I'm still waiting for the final proofs, which should be arriving any day now. All the best--Scott

• Well, author Scott Allen Nollen of Three Bad Men has received the proofs for his book. He now has to painstakingly go over them to catch any mistakes the publishers might have made. He also has to create the Index. THEN...back to the publishers.

He has graciously extended the discount until May 1st for any of those of us who want an inscribed and signed copy of Three Bad Men. I will be posting the particulars and the address later on today. Needless to say, I am excited! He is also adding sometimes first time published pictures to his Facebook Page. He adds something every day. So, check it out, and if you haven't gone to the top of the Facebook page and "liked" the site, please do...it will help him immensely. Once again, here is the site:
    http://www.facebook.com/ThreeBadMenJohnFordJohnWayneWardBond

Also, you can ask any questions here or on the FB site about this book or any of his other 17. KEITH

God, she reminds me of me! DUKE

• Scott is a fifth of the way through the proofs.....says the pictures turned out great even though some of them are very old. He is struggling with the "hated" indexing, LOL. But, he is posting something new every day on is Facebook site. Here is one from today College Coach 1934 in which Ward is an assistant coach and Duke has a part.

In case you forgot here is the FB page:
    http://www.facebook.com/ThreeB…neWardBond?ref=ts&fref=ts

If you haven't already, and you like it, PLEASE go to the top of the THREE BAD MEN PAGE and click on the "LIKE" at the TOP of the page....makes a BIG difference for Scott when it comes to funding, etc. THANKS, KEITH

• Scott Nollen will be ordering his Three Bad Men books from his publisher in early May. So, the deadline for the discount is May 1st. These books will have the inscription you request and will be signed by Scott.
    He offers a 10% discount on the book to people who want to buy them directly from him. After May 1st, the discount will no longer be in place, but if you buy from him, you will still be able to get the inscription and signature.

Postage has gone up, so it has changed a little from what I posted last, but those who have already sent their checks...they will be accepted, of course.

Checks to be made out to Scott Nollen: 8660 W ANVIL CT MOBILE, AL 36695
    $49.95 less 10%) + $6.00 Priority Mail ($15.00 shipping Non-USA or
    $51 USA and $60 Non-USA. You can pay with Paypal.. to [email protected] add $2 for the Paypal fee.
    Scott will greatly appreciate it if you order from him as he is now permanently disabled and his books are his total livelihood. I am including an inscription that he put in the book The Cinema of Sinatra which I bought from him, (realize that I knew Frank when I was a golf pro in Palm Springs, LOL! Also, the "hero" bit is because he wrote about my favorite, Ward Bond). I posted it once, but this is so any new folks will not have to go back and look. And the reference to "Ring a ding ding baby" is a
    Rat Pack thing, (Sinatra, Dino Martin and Sammy Davis Jr). I didn't know Sammy, LOL, but he used it anyway.
    Thanks from Scott who is indexing away at this moment....he hates this part, LOL. I think about half the book is proofed now. KEITH

• So looking forward to reading this book! Thank you Scott for writing it, and thanks to Keith for keeping us all updated as to Scott's progress in the "dreaded indexing"! Lol!

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them" It may be time worn, but it's the best life-creed I know.

• Well, for those of you who don't check Scott's Three Bad Men page on FB, he usually adds an old or rare photo. Always adds something. For those who don't, here is the one for tomorrow. This is what he says:
    "Just look at that handsome young devil! NO, not the one in the middle--that's "LOBO!" The one in the back, on the right: WARDELL E. BOND, with Robert Allen, Florence Rice and Barbara Kent, in GUARD THAT GIRL (1936)." Scott thinks the book will be out April 1st. The review books go out before that. He has about 2 to 3 weeks work left of proofing and indexing. He is up to Ft. Apache.........long way to The Shootist when you count every movie that each did whether together or not. Sure glad I am not indexing this book......shoot, it will probably take up a third of the thing! KEITH

• You're Welcome Keith. Alas wish it twer mine....it is Scott's, and here is another great one and what Scott has to say about it......remember, this book is truly an EPIC. It covers...not in just a few words, every movie or TV show made by each man whether together or not......no wonder the indexing is a nightmare, LOL.
    Scott:
    INSANE Beefcake BORIS! Original Advance still for THE LOST PATROL (1934).

Here is an excerpt from the book THREE BAD MEN (copyright 2013 Scott Allen Nollen):

On August 30, 1933, Universal “horror star,” the genial Boris Karloff, boarded a train bound for Yuma, joining his friend Reginald Denny and fellow Britons Victor McLaglen, Wallace Ford, J. M. Kerrigan, Billy Bevan and Douglas Walton, to shoot Ford’s The Lost Patrol (1934) for RKO Radio. At 6:30 the following morning, the cast assembled in nearby Buttercup Valley, a location dubbed “Abdullah Alley” by the crew.

Karloff occasionally had enjoyed a single-malt Scotch or two with Ford, but this grueling production in 120-degree desert heat was his first and only professional collaboration with the director he called “wonderful.” When asked about the film, Karloff merely replied, “That was directed by Jack Ford, who of course speaks for himself.”

Photo belongs to Scott Nollen. KEITH

• Interesting! Most people don't think of Boris Karloff outside of the horror genre, but he actually did quite a few films that were not horror movies. Not too bad for an ex-truck driver from England!

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them" It may be time worn, but it's the best life-creed I know.

• This is probably here already, but Scott had it up on Three Bad Men,
    Duke is in the doorway of a Stagecoach rest stop. KEITH

Excellent still! Thanks!

• Colorado Bob saw this already on the Three Bad Men page, but for those of you who don't watch it, here is a new pic of Scott's. Picture furnished by Scott Nollen.

• Scott thinks he has about 8 days until the proofs and Indexing is finished. Then off it goes back to the publisher. Won't be long now for the review books to come out. KEITH