THREE BAD MEN: John Ford, John Wayne, Ward Bond

There are 133 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 92,421 times. The latest Post () was by Paula.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I'll give it a shot.

I've read several books about Duke and Ford and Ward Bond always was mentioned, usually as the "butt" of ribald jokes but this is the only book that explores the complex friendship between the three.
    Nollen researched his book to a fault and even scored a few interviews of his own over the years. Henry Brandon revealed that his politics were different from Duke, and especially Bond, and that when Scar confronts Ethan Edwards there was precious little acting required.
    Another gem I didn't know is that Duke told Ford, when casting "Salute" in 1929, that Bond was nicknamed "The Judge" because he spent so much time on the football bench.
    I also didn't know the extent of Bond's filmography. He was in everything and worked for every director of note.
    The real story here though is the twisted relationships between a besotted, tortured cinematic savant and his equally flawed alcohol-fueled two surrogate sons.
    KP has told everyone where and how to obtain this book. I'd recommend it to all Duke's fans.
    Ethan, I'm sure you'll add it to the Wayne books section if you haven't already.

• Thanks MB very much. About time someone posted, LOL. By the way, Duke "Joked" about Ward and sitting the bench. Duke was the one who mainly sat the bench........one reason he couldn't finish college. Ward started the USC championship football game at tackle, I THINK! Anyway, that was one of the reasons Ward, not Duke had the main role while Duke played a subservient one in Salute. Ward was always up front and Duke in the background. Ward was in the most football action, especially the closeups, although Duke was in it also.

Yep, Scott really opened up the true story of the Triumvirate.......which is actually the way it was.....not a duo as it has been portrayed for many years.

Thanks again Bill, YK

God, she reminds me of me! DUKE

• Glad you got it Russ......think everyone has theirs now.

Scott says, as of yesterday, "THREE BAD MEN is doing quite well on Amazon, reaching #22 on their list of bestselling film and entertainment books!"

I just can't wait for my other 21 reviewers to get their reviews posted. If it is doing this well with only 2, hopefully it will take off. Some of them cover some really great possible buyers! Might need to get one to post here. Perhaps we can get Directed by John Ford.com to post here.....think she is a member. She is doing a Questions and Answers Review. Could be interesting to say the least.

Any comments from those who have read it are more than welcome.

Thanks, KEITH

• Victor McLaglen, Boris Karloff and Douglas Walton in Ford's THE LOST PATROL (1934). Original publicity still.

Boris sure was in a lot more "regular" movies than I realized. I MAY just get one of Scott's books on him. He was supposed to be one of the nicest guys in movies..........amazing looking at the parts he played. KEITH

• Victor McLaglen, Boris Karloff and Douglas Walton in Ford's THE LOST PATROL (1934). Original publicity still.

Boris sure was in a lot more "regular" movies than I realized. I MAY just get one of Scott's books on him. He was supposed to be one of the nicest guys in movies..........amazing looking at the parts he played. KEITH

• David Butler Vill.jpgAre there instructions anywhere for the photos. From my computer does not put it in the body. And I copy the URL.......it doesn't work at all. I was asked by a few folks to try to help, but I don't have a clue. Will try a couple of more things and give up. Help if anyone knows. Have lots to post from Three Bad Men. Thanks KEITH Wait, maybe THIS will work.

Scott says, "Here's another SUPER RARE original still from an early John Ford silent! Future director DAVID BUTLER in THE VILLAGE BLACKSMITH (1922), based on Longfellow's famous poem. Butler went on to direct great musicals and films in many other genres, and then became a regular in television (including directing several episodes of WAGON TRAIN starring WARDELL E. BOND!).

• I am having the same difficulty posting full size stills as Hawkswill. Very frustrating. The jpegs don't look very good, so I've stopped posting pictures until I can figure it out.

We deal in lead, friend.

• Sorry it took so long for me to try it for you Bill, but I am still a bit buried with Three Bad Men Stuff...........some very important reviewers are a little late, but......they are busy as we all are. Learned a few things and asked for help. Keith reposted one, but that doesn't help me to post, LOL. It is amazing that so many things were changed but I didn't get any notice of this or any instructions for the new format...........did you? I think some things are probably for the good, but unless I am doing something wrong, when you write a new post....you are at the other end of the thread page, so you can't just scroll down below to see what was said before for your answer.............you have to go all the way to the other end of the thread page. Well, maybe I am doing something wrong, but if not, sure don't like THAT change. Really haven't had much time to "work" with the new changes. Wanted to post some rare photos I just got...........but not going to bother until I learn how to make them post full size. I have tried posting from the computer and using URLs........no go. If YOU and anyone else find out....let me know. Obviously, it can be done, because Larry is doing it. Good luck, Bill. Sure would like to post these new ones. But not in midget size, LOL. YK Oh, don't know if my new friend, the TV reporter who had met Duke and so very many others ever got on, but he couldn't for a couple of days. He has some fanTAStic stories. Need to get back in touch with him. He was a bit miffed that, try as he might, he was not able to sign in.

• I think when you insert the url for the image, un-check the box below the url "Retrieve remote file and reference locally". That will make the image post full size. Try it out. That's how I did it in the last picture game.

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• NEW REVIEW OUT ON THREE BAD MEN!
    Toby of 50 Westerns of the Fifties has gotten his review out. It is excellent especially since he had two others to follow who did an outstanding job. Read the comments also. Scott is pleased!

Scott wrote in an email to me,

"I read Toby's review and commented. FANTASTIC! He really GOT it--he writes about everything I INTENDED with the book!"

If you haven't already subscribed to Toby's blog, you should.
    Here is the link in case you haven't

http://wp.me/pEScW-2bu

KEITH

• Glad to hear it's all going well Keith, I imagine for Scott its going better than expected

Hi Irish, Scott normally does not promote his books..........they just keep on selling as they are "histories" of folks like Sinatra, Oliver and Hardy, Karloff, Robeson, Jethro Tull Band, Oliver Wendell Holmes, Robin Hood, etc. The books are used in filmography and music classes, etc. I have promoted this one in quite a few places since January, and Scott has posted something on Facebook almost every day. Also, McFarland, his publisher sends out about 10 books to library organizations, scholarly magazines, etc. I chose 23 reviewers who were mostly bloggers, some book reviewers, and folks like Keith (Ethan), and some magazines. The overseas folks only got PDFs because of a $23 shipping fee. So, a few, of the overseas are not going to do reviews. However, Colin got a PDF, (he is from Greece), and he not only got out the first review, but also did a bang up job of it. Was hoping to see one from Keith, but don't know if he is going to do one or not. He hasn't gotten back to me on it although I let him know of the situation. Would be nice if he would do one..........but there will be lots more coming out that will be trustworthy! I have two national Western Magazines making space for it soon. I am not even sure if Ethan has put the book on with Duke's books.......last time I looked, I didn't see it. It is really a great book. Toby said he has only a very few books that he keeps to help him with continuity, fluidity, etc. for the writing of his own books..........Three Bad Men in now in that list.

Anyway, he is quite pleased the way things are going, yes. Oh, he just finished his book AFTER Three Bad Men. It is The Black Diamond and is about Theron Denson, a man who used to sing in a choir until a friend told him he sounded exactly like Neil Diamond.....which, he does! Neil has endorsed him, and he does concerts all over now. Scott has been interviewing, taking pics, and writing about 16 hours a day and has just sent the book in for first proofing from Theron. There is a huge concert in Nashville where Scott will be a VIP guest and will be selling the book. I plan to meet him there with a couple of my friends and help him with the book sales..........hope to do a couple of T-shirts also. He says my friends and I will be his "entourage", LOL. He is almost totally confined to a wheelchair now, so we will be helping him to get around while the band guys and Theron are busy with the concert. Sounds like a lot of fun. I NEED a vacation after this Three Bad Men bit......although, it WILL be sort of a working one!

Thanks Irish. Hope you can read it soon. KEITH

• Well, it has been a while since "dumber than a rock" Keith could post pictures properly, so.....please forgive me if double post. Hope you enjoy them anyway. I hadn't seen a good many. AND, I haven't even HEARD of some of the films, LOL. Well, here we go..........it worked last time, and I taught Bill, (Gorch) on the phone how to post them the other night. Hope it still works the same way, LOL!
    [URL=http://s1269.photobucket.com/user/Hawkswill/media/WardinTheDevilsPlayground1937.jpg.html]

Aha, looks as if it will work. The is Ward in The Devil's Playground 1937

Edited once, last by Hawkswill: picture left, LOL ().

• Original lobby card from MISTER ROBERTS (1955), which turned out pretty well, considering all the mayhem that ensued during its production! An incredible cast, including WILLIAM POWELL, HENRY FONDA, JACK LEMMON, WARD BOND, PATRICK WAYNE, TIGE ANDREWS, KEN CURTIS and NICK ADAMS!
    =http://s1269.photobucket.com/user/Hawkswill/media/MrRobertsCrew.jpg.html]

JOHN WAYNE is reteamed with his STAGECOACH costar, CLAIRE TREVOR, in ALLEGHENY UPRISING (1939). Original publicity portrait.
    =http://s1269.photobucket.com/user/Hawkswill/media/DukeandClaireTrevor.jpg.html]

Classic image from Monument Valley: JEFFREY HUNTER, JOHN WAYNE and WARD BOND in Ford's monumental masterpiece, THE SEARCHERS (1956). Original color publicity still.
    =http://s1269.photobucket.com/user/Hawkswill/media/SearchersJeffDukeWard.jpg.html]

• The Grapes of Wrath (20th Century–Fox, 1940; directed
    by John Ford). Soon after Darryl F. Zanuck finished
    editing The Grapes of Wrath, Ford wrote this unusual
    letter containing his “review.” After butting heads with
    the mogul several times, he committed to Hollywood
    Athletic Club stationery his praise for the producer’s
    work. This letter is proof of the collaborative nature of
    filmmaking under the Hollywood Studio System (and
    should inform those who cling to the auteur theory).
    Ford said, “It is wrong to liken a director to an author.
    He is more like an architect.” (copyright 2013 Scott Allen Nollen)
    =http://s1269.photobucket.com/user/Hawkswill/media/FordLettertoZanuck.jpg.html]

Here's another SUPER RARE original still from an early John Ford silent! Future director DAVID BUTLER in THE VILLAGE BLACKSMITH (1922), based on Longfellow's famous poem. Butler went on to direct great musicals and films in many other genres, and then became a regular in television (including directing several episodes of WAGON TRAIN starring WARDELL E. BOND!).

=http://s1269.photobucket.com/user/Hawkswill/media/DavidButlerVillageblacksmith1922.jpg.html]

Incredibly RARE original still from John Ford's silent THE FACE ON THE BAR-ROOM FLOOR (1923), starring the great early film actor HENRY B. WALTHALL, who was one of D.W. Griffith's biggest stars and a superb performer! In the 1930s, he became a fine character actor, and one of his most memorable roles is in Tod Browning's THE DEVIL DOLL (1936).
    =http://s1269.photobucket.com/user/Hawkswill/media/FaceonBarRoomFloor1926-1.jpg.html]

RARE original candid from Myrna Loy's wedding to 20th Century-Fox producer Gene Markey, January 3, 1946: JOHN FORD (in his beloved Naval uniform) with (left to right, from Pappy) Mr. Della Williams (Myrna's mom), Gene Markey, Myrna Loy, and Admiral William F. "Bull" Halsey. WAYNE and BOND both attended the wedding.

=http://s1269.photobucket.com/user/Hawkswill/media/PappyandBullHalseyLoywedding.jpg.html]

Original title lobby card for Ford's masterpiece HOW GREEN WAS MY VALLEY (1941), featuring Walter Pidgeon, Maureen O'Hara, Donald Crisp, Anna Lee and Roddy McDowall.

=http://s1269.photobucket.com/user/Hawkswill/media/LCHowGreenWasmyValley.jpg.html]