THREE BAD MEN: John Ford, John Wayne, Ward Bond

There are 133 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 92,417 times. The latest Post () was by Paula.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I suppose all know about this except me, LOL, but I was MOST excited to find out about it. About time someone wrote about the three of them. It comes out in April.

Needless to say, I just can't wait! KEITH

God, she reminds me of me! DUKE

• Not sure yet if I'll be able to get to Winterset this year but I'll know later on in the spring. :) I'd sure love to be able to tell Miss O'Hara thank you for everything from a fan -- and then get a quote from her about Ben Johnson! ;)

Speaking of John Wayne books, I just got that big doorstopper of a coffee table book John Wayne: The Man and the Legend and it's worth every penny. Not much text but what's there is really nice, and the oversized pictures are to die for! (Although, not one with Ben in the entire book, at least as far as I can see.)

-- Paula the girl with the one-track mind ;)

• Not sure yet if I'll be able to get to Winterset this year but I'll know later on in the spring. :) I'd sure love to be able to tell Miss O'Hara thank you for everything from a fan -- and then get a quote from her about Ben Johnson! ;)

Speaking of John Wayne books, I just got that big doorstopper of a coffee table book John Wayne: The Man and the Legend and it's worth every penny. Not much text but what's there is really nice, and the oversized pictures are to die for! (Although, not one with Ben in the entire book, at least as far as I can see.)

-- Paula the girl with the one-track mind ;)

Nice to know that about the book. More text is what I was hoping for.....behind the scenes stories, etc.

You didn't even mention the Ward, Pappy, Duke Book. I would have mentioned a SON one, LOL! HAGO, KEITH

• Well, there is that one Ben Johnson bio, The Nicest Fella, but it came out over two years ago, so it's not exactly news anymore. I have heard some info about other Ben bios in the works but it's all pretty much faint rumor rather than actual news.

I am definitely looking forward to the Ford/Wayne/Bond book! :)

• Really looking forward to Three Bad Men.

Oh, me too, May 2, for sure. Trying to talk the author into joining JWMB. He is GREAT about answering questions, etc. Quite a history this man has and I think has written about 18 books.....very meticulous about his research. I think everyone will love him. And I sure hope folks make him welcome here. Will introduce him on the New Member Forum, I guess. So, keep an eye out. You can buy book directly from him and he will comment on them the way you want and sign them to you. Pretty cool. KEITH

• Oh, me too, May 2, for sure. Trying to talk the author into joining JWMB. He is GREAT about answering questions, etc. Quite a history this man has and I think has written about 18 books.....very meticulous about his research. I think everyone will love him. And I sure hope folks make him welcome here. Will introduce him on the New Member Forum, I guess. So, keep an eye out. You can buy book directly from him and he will comment on them the way you want and sign them to you. Pretty cool. KEITH

This book is now included here
    DUKE'S BOOKS- Part 2

Scott Allen Nollen (2013)

About
    The complex relationship between master film director John Ford, star John Wayne, and character actor supreme Ward Bond, and their films, including FORT APACHE, THE QUIET MAN and THE SEARCHERS, by Scott Allen Nollen.
    Pre-order at http://www.mcfarlandbooks.com

Description
    This, the first book to provide a biography of Ward Bond, explores the professional and personal relationships between these three "good bad men," not unlike the colorful characters depicted in Ford's films. This incredible, fascinating story, including the activities of all three during World War II, is intertwined with in-depth coverage of ALL their films. 60 rare, original photos, lobby cards, letters, and studio materials illustrate the text. A complete Ward Bond Filmography is included.
    Thanks to Hawkswill for the update

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited once, last by ethanedwards ().

• Scott, the author of Three Bad Man just sent me a new article out on the book. It answers some more questions than does the website. At the end are a pair of Ward's calvary pants laid out at the foot of Pappy's grave..........now just what kind of significance it that, I wonder? This is going to be one HECK of a book

Bad Men – Scott Allen Nollen Talks About His Latest Book

http://immortalephemera.com/27…d-men-scott-allen-nollen/

[INDENT]A couple of years ago I bumped into Scott Allen Nollen online and I was soon pumping him with questions about his authorized biography of Boris Karloff.
    So I became very excited when Scott dropped me a note on Facebook to let me know about the page he had set up to promote his coming book THREE BAD MEN: John Ford, John Wayne, Ward Bond (That link takes you over to Facebook where you can 'Like' Scott's new page and receive updates about it).
    “Playing Pappy” (2011). The author, wearing a pair of Ward Bond’s screen-used jeans as a shawl, impersonates Ford during a visit to the director’s favorite location, Monument Valley, in the Navaho Nation, on the border of Utah and Arizona. (Photograph by Scott Allen Nollen - Click photo to enlarge.)

Besides his Karloff biography, A Gentleman's Life, Scott has authored a second Karloff volume offering a critical account of the horror icon's entire career.
    Additional subjects covered in book form by Scott Allen Nollen include: Frank Sinatra, Paul Robeson, Abbott and Costello, Laurel and Hardy, Louis Armstrong, Jethro Tull, Robin Hood on film, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle on film, and Warner Wiseguys: All 112 Films That Robinson, Cagney and Bogart Made for the Studio.
    Major subjects. Major variety.
    Based on how much I enjoyed Scott's work about Karloff I needed to know more about THREE BAD MEN. It's not out yet, so I don't have a copy, but I did have a few questions about what is coming soon ... beginning with when it is actually coming.
    After that I ask Scott several questions about the linked lives and careers of John Wayne, John Ford and Ward Bond and by the end of the interview even get a taste of who his next subject will be--another vastly different type of star!
    Once more, the THREE BAD MEN Facebook page. My interview with Scott Allen Nollen follows:
    [/INDENT]Question: Scott, thanks so much for submitting to another round of questions from me. When's your latest book, THREE BAD MEN: John Ford, John Wayne and Ward Bond due out?
    Scott Allen Nollen: The book, which is in the “post-production” phase right now, is scheduled to become available from McFarland in April, and can be pre-ordered at www.mcfarlandbooks.com.
    The Wings of Eagles (1957). Ford discusses a crucial scene with Bond and Wayne: a sequence in which Ward actually portrays the director Himself. When the time came for Pappy to select an actor to play him, Bond was the one and only choice. (Click photo to enlarge).

Question: Okay, I think the first question anyone is going to have over your book is simply, Ward Bond? Pappy and the Duke have gotten their fair share of coverage throughout the years, why did you feel compelled to add Bond to the mix?
    Scott Allen Nollen: I didn’t really add Ward Bond to the mix. He was always there. If previous writers haven’t included Bond to the extent they should have, they haven’t really understood one of the most important dynamics in the world of John Ford. And, aside from the relationships Bond had with Ford and Wayne, he was a superb, completely naturalistic actor. Ford noticed this as soon as he met Bond. Pappy was uncanny when it came to actors, as well as every other aspect of filmmaking, some of which he helped create.
    The book opens with a brief biography covering Bond’s early years in Nebraska and Colorado, and then continues with an in-depth look at the complex, love-hate relationships that he and Wayne developed with Ford.
    Salute (1929). Bond (right) was a hit in his film debut, as a midshipman, in this film shot on location at Annapolis. Wayne, who also is in the film, went largely unnoticed. (This photograph actually belonged to Ward Bond - Click photo to enlarge.)

Question: How did this project evolve? Was it always going to be about all three, Ford, Wayne and Bond, or did that develop as you went along?
    Scott Allen Nollen: I’ve always had a fascination with Ward Bond as one of the most prolific and versatile of all American character actors. He racked up a total of 261 film appearances (plus major television work) during a 30-year career. If not for his career-damaging conservative political activities and his premature death at age 57, this total would be far greater.
    Many years ago, I began collecting memorabilia on Bond (or “Bondiana,” as Ford called it), and a friend suggested that I write a book about him.
    While working on countless other projects, the Bond idea was always in the back of my mind, so I eventually conceptualized a new approach to the book on John Ford I had been planning since 1985. So “evolve” it did, over quite a period of time, into a portrait of the amazing relationships between Ford, Wayne and Bond, as well as a thorough study of the lives and all the films of these “Three Bad Men.”
    They Were Expendable (1945). Wayne and Bond are both superb in Ford’s magnificent World War II film, one of the finest ever made. Here they are pictured with (left to right) Jack Pennick and Robert Montgomery. (Click photo to enlarge).

Question: No Ford and Wayne story I come across seems complete without personal conflict coming into play, sometimes to such a degree we forget how close these men actually were. Rather than the negative can you tell us about any genuine warmth between John Ford and John Wayne?
    Scott Allen Nollen: Warmth is not a word that can really be applied to John Ford. He was an artistic genius, whose brilliance sometimes crossed that thin line into madness, particularly when lubricated with near-lethal doses of alcohol.
    Ford truly loved Wayne, and there are occasional moments of actions approaching affection in the story. Arguably, he loved Bond even more, but Pappy deliberately avoided showing positive emotions in public.
    With Wayne, Bond, and others, such as Victor McLaglen and Henry Fonda, Ford actually displayed his love by being cruel, even sadistic, to them, often in public. He was particularly fond of kicking Duke and Ward in the bum!
    With Ford, everything is complex and enigmatic. It’s an incredible story that required an epic book, so it can’t easily be explained in a brief interview format.
    Victor McLaglen

Question: Once more, how does Ward Bond fit into this dynamic? Did he and Duke align themselves against Ford for protection? Was one of the three a mediator between the other two? How close was Bond to Ford in comparison to Wayne?
    Scott Allen Nollen: Ford “discovered” both Wayne and Bond, whom Duke previously had known as a student and football player at USC. As close as Ford was to Wayne, there were times when Pappy didn’t pay much attention to him, particularly during the long “freeze out” following Duke’s starring in Raoul Walsh’s The Big Trail in 1930 and Ford’s production of Stagecoach in 1938.
    Portion of Ward Bond Cowboy Kings print by Will Williams

During this period, Duke did hang out with Pappy on occasion, often to play cards and go fishing; but Bond had a fairly continuous, 31-year professional relationship with Ford that was even more solid on a personal level. As early as 1930, Ward was spending the New Year’s holiday with John and Mary Ford, and attending football games with Pappy, who loved live sporting events. No one was closer to Ford than Bond; and no one really ever “mediated” with John Ford—everyone just took their chances, and rarely knew what to expect.
    Pappy definitely kept everyone, especially those closest to him, on their toes.
    Question: Will THREE BAD MEN look at the overall lives and careers of these three men or is there a definite concentration upon the specific films they worked in and on together?
    Scott Allen Nollen: The book covers EVERYTHING: their mutual films and television programs, as well as all the work each of these three men did throughout their lengthy careers. The book will keep the reader busy for quite some time. Just looking at the collection of rare and unpublished photos, all reproduced from originals in my collection, will—I hope—entertain and enlighten.
    Conflict (1936). Wayne and Bond often worked together in the films of other directors. Here they “duke” it out in a Universal B-film. (Click photo to enlarge).

Question: While the focus will obviously be upon the Three Bad Men of the title, what outsider penetrates the story more than any other? In other words, if you had to pick a "Fourth Bad Man" who would it be? Do other members of the Ford Stock Company make a considerable appearance in THREE BAD MEN?
    Scott Allen Nollen: There isn’t anyone who would qualify as a “Fourth Bad Man,” but there are many Ford “Stock Company” folks who command their own space in the book: John’s older brother, Francis Ford, a true cinematic pioneer responsible for bringing “Jack” into the world of filmmaking; the mighty war veterans and boxers George O’Brien and Victor McLaglen; Will Rogers, Stepin Fetchit, Hank Fonda, Maureen O’Hara, Anna Lee, and many others.
    I think Francis Ford finally gets his due in this book. He was an innovator, yet seriously underrated and now nearly forgotten. He is buried at Forest Lawn in Culver City, just a few plots to the right of his celebrated brother.
    Question: Scott, I haven't seen the book beyond the cover: Is there any additional facet of THREE BAD MEN that I missed in the questions above? Something you're especially proud of and want to share here?
    Scott Allen Nollen: I think I’m most proud of the fact that it’s perhaps the first major book to tie everything together with regard to Admiral John Ford: his most important personal relationships, his great artistry, his incomparable and important World War II service, his tragic substance-abuse problems; plus the great work his two “surrogate sons,” John Wayne and Ward Bond, helped create along the way.
    I believe the reader may get a more accurate impression of who Ford really was, although he’ll always remain delightfully enigmatic. To rework the most famous line from The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, I’ve endeavored to “print the facts” as well as “throw some light on the legends.”
    Question: Any plans for what's next?
    Scott Allen Nollen: I have several projects in the works for Midnight Marquee Press, including the first-ever book on the life and films of my favorite actress, Glenda Farrell, who brought so much verve to Warner Bros. during the 1930s.
    I’ve been ill for the past several years, so Three Bad Men will be my last (and I hope, greatest) epic.
    I have to slow down a bit now, but will always have a book project in development, as well as the essay and film-writing work that I do. I recently contributed the narration script to Finnigan’s War, a forthcoming documentary on the Korean Conflict featuring Conor Timmis and Mark Hamill.[INDENT]Thank you so much, Scott!
    Here's the THREE BAD MEN Facebook page once more. Also the McFarland page to pre-order the book.
    And here is the interview I conducted with Scott in 2011 about Boris Karloff: A Gentleman's Life.
    I can't wait to ask Scott about Glenda Farrell! Til then, we may be back to discuss these THREE BAD MEN in a little more detail once I've seen a copy.
    [/INDENT]Ford and Bond “Reunited” (2011). Ward’s trousers respectfully laid out on Pappy’s grave at Forest Lawn in Culver City, California. The significance of this ritual is boldly explored throughout Three Bad Men. (Photograph by Scott Allen Nollen - Click photo to enlarge.) KEITH

Edited once, last by Hawkswill: add Credit ().

• Thanks for this interesting, fascinating and insightful look into this book.
    It looks like one to have.

I will link this post to the book profile in
    Duke's Books

Welcome.
    If I cannot get Scott to join us here, (still trying), I will continue to post what he sends me by email. I had told him I hoped the book would be out in time for Ward's and my birthdays, April 9th and 11th respectively. He laughingly replied that his is the 2nd of April...........I just can't wait! My order is in already, LOL! Scott calls this an "epic", and it must be. When I questioned him on some of the films that were in it that were made after Ward's death, he told me that the book encompasses ALL of their work whether made together or with someone else. He answers questions on the Facebook site, but if someone wants to ask a question and doesn't have Facebook, I will be glad to pass it on for them.
    KEITH Did I mention I was MOST excited, LOL?

OH, here is a bit about Scott.....very impressive!

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2429534/bio

• As this new book is of real interest
    and not only generating insights from our members
    but hopefully some personal involvement from the author.

I think therefore it is worthy of it's own stand alone thread.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Hi all,

Thanks to EK's development of a Thread devoted to Scott's new book, I have invited him to join us and he has consented. He is now, officially, a member of DukeWayne.com or JWMB. He is currently writing another book, so he will not have a lot of free time, but he will be around, LOL. I believe he will be writing some previously unpublished things about the book, and I think he will answer some questions. I thnk this is fairly unusual to have....not sure......but I am most happy to have been able to talk him into this. So, please all welcome him. And to EK, thanks very much for creating this thread for Scott's book!

KEITH Your turn, EK

• I offer a huge THANKS to Keith Payne for all her efforts on my behalf regarding my forthcoming THREE BAD MEN, and I hope it lives up to everyone's expectations! It was in the planning stages for 27 years, and the book covers the relationship between the three men, as well as ALL their films, made together and separately, so it's a bit of an epic! I'm pleased to be here, and chatting with all the great DUKE fans! The book may be pre-ordered at www.mcfarlandbooks.com. Best Wishes--Scott

• Hi all,

Thanks to EK's development of a Thread devoted to Scott's new book, I have invited him to join us and he has consented. He is now, officially, a member of DukeWayne.com or JWMB. He is currently writing another book, so he will not have a lot of free time, but he will be around, LOL. I believe he will be writing some previously unpublished things about the book, and I think he will answer some questions. I thnk this is fairly unusual to have....not sure......but I am most happy to have been able to talk him into this. So, please all welcome him. And to EK, thanks very much for creating this thread for Scott's book!

KEITH Your turn, EK

I offer a huge THANKS to Keith Payne for all her efforts on my behalf regarding my forthcoming THREE BAD MEN, and I hope it lives up to everyone's expectations! It was in the planning stages for 27 years, and the book covers the relationship between the three men, as well as ALL their films, made together and separately, so it's a bit of an epic! I'm pleased to be here, and chatting with all the great DUKE fans! The book may be pre-ordered at www.mcfarlandbooks.com. Best Wishes--Scott

Scott, many thanks for joining us here,
    and I offer a sincere
    Welcome
    from all on the JWMB.

It looks to be a fascinating book,
    and I feel our members will
    be wanting to obtain their copies

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited once, last by ethanedwards ().

• Hi, Scott. Hope you don't mind my asking... although your book is about John Wayne, John Ford and Ward Bond... is there anything about Ben Johnson in it? I am REALLY looking forward to reading Three Bad Men. It's going to be an amazing year for Ford-related books.

• Hi All,

I have introduced Scott to some other of my lists, but for now, JWMB is the only one who has any kind of a discount....it isn't even on Scott's Facebook page.

He will write ANYTHING people would like as an inscription!

He offers a 10% discount on the book to people who want to buy them directly from him.

Checks to made out to Scott Nollen: 8660 W ANVIL CT MOBILE, AL 36695 ($49.95 less 10%) + $5.50 Priority Mail / Paypal to: [email protected] ($49.95 less 10%) + $5.50 Priority Mail + $2.00 PP fee

So, if you pay by check, it is $50.50. If you pay by Paypal to nollen@att.net it is $52.50

If you order anywhere except as a JWMB member, it will be $55.45 or by Paypal $57.45.
    Sheesh, think I got that right. This is a limited time offer. I didn't take any chances, LOL! KEITH

• Hi Scott,
    A very warm welcome to the JWMB.
    From what Ladyhawk (Keith Payne) has been telling us, it looks like a must read!
    All the best and look forward to some online banter

"Pour yourself some backbone and shut up!"

• Hi Scott

Like many others welcome to the board, and like many others we are looking forward to the publication of your book.

One question some years ago I bought the Harry Carey jnr book Company of Heroes and got into trouble with his wife because (a) I paid for it in cash.
    (b) I paid for it in English money and (c) I didn't pay enough for the packing and posting.

I would be grateful, in order not to make the same mistake, if you could give me some idea of the cost of postage to UK.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low