Ebay Finds

There are 93 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 56,232 times. The latest Post () was by Gorch.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Don't you just hate auctions with a reserve, too?

Here's the "Alamo Movies" book by Frank Thompson, an interesting read that tells you all about the Alamo films from the silents to present - excluding the new one, of course, yet to come. But if you're interested in how the story of the Alamo was put on film (for instance, he compares the "Travis Draws the Line" scene from the different movies), then that one's for you.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...&category=29309

• Thanks alot, Chester. I will even give you credit on the page. Look foward to adding that one and the one I am getting soon. Thanks again! Dukefan1

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• That's an interesting item to look at - even if you're not intending to buy:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...1&category=4008

At first, it was listed as JOHN WAYNE'S COAT FROM RED RIVER
    which a little research can proove it's not (the collar is missing, among other things).
    The description went something like: John Wayne "threw this in the poker pot" one night at filming of Red River. Now that's pure folklore. Stars usually don't give away costumes WHICH THEY DON'T OWE, especially when they were RENTED OUT from Western Costume. After a couple of days, the auction was pulled and re-entered as George O'Brien, Wayne's old pal and one of Ford's first stars ("The Iron Horse"), and rightfully so. Still: the story of the poker round remains in the description - even though now it's not claimed that Wayne wore it (and George O'Brien had a bigger chest-size than Wayne but was smaller in length, so...)

You call me "DADDY" one more time and I'll.......Big Jake

For my 2 cents on e-bay searching,well I love it. You never know what "DUKE" treasure lies on the next page.Use your search engines.Nothing stays the same too long.SaddleTramp

• Hi

Looking on the UK e bay under John Wayne is the Item Shadow of the Eagle DVD.
    It has reached a bid of £37.00 and has three days to go.
    The distributor is Marengo Film who I know nothing about except they are from Texas and and advertise the film atv $9.90.
    So who is ripping who off.
    Also there are a number of his film annuals and comics up for sale. 4 in particular while two are expensive at £16.00 the other two are comparatively cheap.
    Also the two expensive ones have had their front covers lamenated.

Check it out

Regard

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Some more items on the UK eBay.

Item 1
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...&category=47391
    John Wayne#1, Signed Black & White Photo
    Item number: 2221536784

Item 2
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...&category=35060
    NEW 5ft by 3ft JOHN WAYNE FLAG
    Item number: 3381918775

Item 3
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...&category=42369
    John Wayne & Maureen O'Hara Signed
    Item number: 3270966895

Item 4
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...&category=47391
    John Wayne signed Photo
    Item number: 2222027450

• Attention with those signed photos, newbie.

Arthur: I bought the Marengo DVD of "Shadow of the Eagle", and it's lousy. They actually cut out the cliffhangers, putting together the serial to one whole picture (which stupid idiot would do that?). Stick with the VHS on this one, on the 2 tape version the serial is complete.

• Hi Roland

Thanks for that.

I taped the serial over a period of days when it was 0n some years ago. I missed one episode when we were out my daughter switched over to music.

I agree with you regarding the autographed photographs of John Wayne in most cases they say that these are copies scanned or otherwise but you can be caught.

Even if you're lucky an authentic John Wayne signiture on ebay you are looking at best a starting price of £100 - 150. The last one I saw a press book for Legend of the Lost sold for £100 the bidding going from £60.00 to £100 in a matter of moments.

As a retirement/birthday present my wife bought me an autographed photograph of John Wayne as Hondo off ebay. She paid a lot of money for it (possibly over the top if such a thing is possible to own one of the Dukes signitures) but I am assured by the antigue dealer that it is authentic. It was signed around the time he was making The Horse Soldiers while he was working down south, and it is signed in ink rather than these horrible felt tips of today.

But if you want to start a cheap collection with copies so be it.

I live in hope that the ones I buy are all authentic as are the ones I write away for. particularly with regard to John Wayne's co workers (especially the stunt men) (& Neil Summers is one of the best) I haven't been disappointed.

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• To be absolutely sure, a signed contract is the best. Costly maybe, but then again it's worth a lot to be 100 percent sure of what you got hanging there at the wall and looking at it for years is the real thing. Even the shadow of a doubt can spoil such a thing. I always (well, almost, when the occasion is not too embarrassing) ask a celebrity for his signature when I have the chance to meet them in person.
    One of my favorite autographed things is the pressbook of The Alamo which I carried to the Reunion in 1998 and had all the people sign the group picture in their respective places.

Neil Summers signed his "Candid Cowboy" books in advance, which I think is nice (did he ever do a 3rd volume?).
    I would write to JW co-workers - if I had the addresses. You don't think that you could........ ;)

• Hi Roland

I bought this list for a dollar about six years ago. Some I have written to many I haven't, many are no longer with us. I will miss out the ones who didn't reply and you take your chances with the many that I didn't write to.

A Self addressed envelope helps.

Good luck

Regards

Arthur.

Harry and Marylin Carey
    PO Box 3256
    Durango, CO 81302

Neil Summers
    PO Box 189
    Kanab, Ut 84741-0189

Andrew McLaglen
    Box 1056
    Friday Harbour, WA 98250

Rudy Robbins (your namesake)
    PO Box 1555
    Bandera, TX 78003

Melody Thomas Scott
    C/O Bell-Phillip TV
    7800 Beverly Blvd
    Woodland Hills
    Los Angeles, CA 90036

Pippa Scott
    23431 Styles Street
    CA 91367

Dean Smith
    Ivan Star Route
    Box 43A
    Breckenridge, TX 76024

Katherine Ross
    33050 Pacific Coast Highway
    Malibu, CA 90265

Janet Leigh
    1625 Summitridge Drive
    Beverly Hills. CA 90210

Howard Keel
    394 Red River Road
    Palm Desert
    CA 92211

ShellY Winters
    457 N.Oakenhurst Drive
    Beverly Hills
    CA 90210
    (also) Box 10269
    Beverly Hills CA 90213

Glenn Campbell
    10351 Santa Monica Blvd#300
    Los Angeles, CA90025
    Home Address
    28 Biltmore Estates

James Caan
    644 Almalfi Way
    Pacific Palisades,
    CA 90272

Pedro Gonzales-Gonzales
    4154 Charles Avenue
    Culver City
    CA 90230

Polly Burson
    4501 W. Channel Island Blvd
    Oxnard, CA 93030

Lauren Bacall
    1 W.72nd Street #43
    Westlake Village

Ed Faulkner
    66 Lakeshore drive
    Rancho Mirage CA 92270
    Bruce Dern
    23430 Malibu Colony
    Malibu. CA 90265

Red Buttons
    778 Tortuoso Way
    Los Angeles, CA 90077
    New York City, NY 10023

Richard Beymer
    1818 N.Fuller
    Los Angeles, CA 90046

Bernard Fox
    1624 S. Crescent Heights Blvd
    Los Angeles, CA 90035

Robert Duvall
    257 W. 86th Street #5B
    New York City,
    NY 10021

Frank Finlay
    c/o Ken McReddie Ltd
    91 Regent Street
    London WIR 7TB

Phillips Sian
    C/O Saraband Associates
    265 Liverpool Road
    London NI !LX

Phillips Leslie
    c/o Storm Artists Management,
    47 Brewer Street
    London WIR 3FD

Eddie Albert
    719 Amalfi Drive
    Pacific Palisades.
    CA 90272

I have also included some of the people who were in the Longest Day in case you want to get in touch with them.

But as I have already said it is a lottery whether or not htey get back to you. I would be grateful if you let me know how you get on.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi Everyone,

If you look on UK Ebay you will see a number of John Wayne reproduction posters up for sale.
    I have put them up. The emphasis is that they are reproduction and although I think they are quite nice and some look good framed. They are reasonable for anyone who would like to start a collection with them. They are however not for the serious collector of authentic goods.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hey Arthur, seeing that list of fine performers makes me want to right them autograph-seeking letters right now - something I stopped years ago, because - you know: the stars would send you stamped letters, secreterial autographs, you name it. It's different though with performers like these. An ugly word would be has-beens. But it's really the stars who now finally have the time to respond that are interesting. Nothing beats a signature that you get face-to-face. Yet from Vera Miles I once received a handwritten letter - and that certainly looks nice in a frame with a picture of "Hallie"! Harry Carey jr. goes that extra-mile, too, to respond. So, thanks for the addresses!

• Hi Roland,
    No problem. I agree with you I haven't written for some time I think Jack Elam was the last and he responded.

The list is only a shortened version of the actual and it is amazing the number of people from his earlier films who are still with us. One I was amazed about is Movita. When Louise Platt died recently everyone said she was the last survivor from Stagecoach but according to IMDB Movita is still alive and kicking.

But you're right as I was typing the list I thought why not and may well try some of the lesser stars.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

Originally posted by gr1087@Jan 17 2004, 12:38 PM
    This one is interesting...likely lots of oddball Duke pics in here....I assume the pic with Duke and the German Shepherd is his residence in Newport? Always wanted to see a picture of his home...I hear it has been demolished..

Grant

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...3&category=1440

I just wanted to say that we are the ones who won this auction. The John Wayne scrapbook arrived in the mail today.

What a treasure trove! I'm sure it is worth far more than what I paid for it. It is a collection of pictures and articles from movie magazines, starting in 1946 and ending sometime in the mid-seventies. We hope to be acquiring a scanner sometime this week, so we can scan and share some of these gems with all of you.

Chester :newyear: and the Mrs. :angel1:

• Good morning, all!

First of all, we didn't ever get a scanner (see previous post :) ), probably won't until this summer sometime.

Jumping from a topic in another forum, I thought I'd list here some current auctions that are likely to be of interest to folks here (thanks to johnwfan, a new member, for bringing these to our attention :) ) -

eBay - Cancel My Reservation - Auction ending April 13th

Search results for "Maker of Men" - John Wayne 1931 - last auction ending April 13th

A Rough Romance - John Wayne - 1930 (Auction ends April 13th)

Bardelays the Magnificent - Auction ends April 13th

A note of caution, based solely on my observation and opinion - I think in almost every case, these videos are copies (copied from where, who knows?). With the exception of Cancel My Reservation, the older ones are most likely not official releases. If you look at the photos, it appears that the covers are scanned and placed into the outer sleeve of a clam shell case.

So I am not specifically recommending these, just saying they are available.

Chester :newyear:

• This is a "more for fun" find than a serious one, but I thought you folks would enjoy it -

LifeSize Statue John Wayne on Horse Western Hollywood

:D

OK, which one of you guys from the UK is responsible for this - Arthur? Robbie? CHANCE? :lol:

It doesn't really look all that much like John Wayne, in my opinion, but it sure would be fun to have (wish I had that kind of money!!).

Chester :newyear:

• Hi Chester,

I was going to comment on it yesterday when I went through Kevin's link.
    I think it's hillarious. I live in a terrace street, It'd look brilliant in the front garden.

If they are going to do something like that you'd think they'd get it right, When was the last time John Wayne had his trousers tucked into his boots???

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low