Maureen O'Hara Book- 'Tis Herself'

There are 65 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 35,747 times. The latest Post () was by Romy.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I was listening to the radio on the way into work this morning and was able to catch a interview with Maureen OHara about her new book, Tis Herself. I have always had alot of respect for her but after that interview by those nitwits out of Minneapolis, she took them head on and basically out classed them. She is a great lady and my respect for her after a 5 minute interview tripled. I for one will be buying her book. Here is a link to the book . She did not have alot of time to talk but when asked what her most favorite movies she played in, right away she said The Quiet Man.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• Hi SXViper

I went into out local bookshop on Monday apparently Maureen's book is not released in UK until May sometime so I have ordered mine off of Amazon, can't wait to read it.

Also found out that The Lost Films of John Wayne' by Caroline McGivern is issued over here end of March. If its as good a read as her last one then it should be great.

I'll keep you informed when I get it.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• There are a few more things from the interview that I forgot:

When asked about her favorite movies, she not only mentioned The Quiet Man, but also said McLintock was near and dear to her heart as well.

The person interviewing her asked her "Who was John Ford hugging?" She said she would not answer that question and would take that to her grave. She did say it was not the Duke. I am not sure exactley what they were talking about so I have no opinion on that.

There are a few more things but I am having a brain fart at the moment, so when I remember I will add them as well.

-John Wayne

• Hi SXViper

If you go to the post Duke favourite director about the last three or four post by dukegirl and I discuss the book you might find it a mind jogger.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Does anyone know if Sams (Walmart) has Maureen's book? Usually, they carry bestsellers at a considerably reduced price than the other book sellers.

De gustibus non est disputandum

Originally posted by SXViper@Mar 17 2004, 01:49 PM
    I was there yesterday Stumpy but didn't see the book there yet.

Thanks, my friend. I'll watch the local Sams for a week or so and if it doesn't turn up there guess I'll order it from Amazon. I really want to read it as Maureen has always been one of my favorite actresses and has been around Hollywood for a lonnnnnng time so she should have some tales to tell. She was also the Duke's favorite leading lady and one of his good friends so she can probably tell us things about him that we haven't heard before.

Originally posted by William T Brooks@Mar 17 2004, 03:16 PM
    Stumpy; I just orderd a copy from Amazon for $17.50 plus postage. They say that it will be here in a few days, so it looks like the book is out. Chilibill :cowboy:

Thanks, Bill. I'll gladly pay that amount but being somewhat of a cheapskate, I'm always looking to save a buck or two.

• Now that's a sexy book about a sexy lady. I am getting my copy today. Can't wait to read about this gracious lady.

Cheers, Hondo B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• She also did a interview on Good Morning America on ABC this morning as well. My wife told me about it. They showed a clip from when she spoke in front of Congress when they were discussing whether to strike a medal for Duke. While she was talking about the clip she choked up and Diane Sawyer said, "You miss him don't you" Too which she replied in one word, "Yes". They also showed a clip from The Quiet Man and she told the story about Duke and Ford playing that trick on her when Duke dragged her across the field and they put manure down. :o :lol:

I cannot wait to get the book, that is why I am heading to Barnes and Noble tomorrow.

-John Wayne

Originally posted by SXViper@Mar 17 2004, 10:39 AM
    The person interviewing her asked her "Who was John Ford hugging?" She said she would not answer that question and would take that to her grave. She did say it was not the Duke. I am not sure exactley what they were talking about so I have no opinion on that.

Are you sure it wasn't holding hands with because last night I watched a documentary on John Wayne and behind the scenes within that movie up on the hill were John Wayne and Ford and they were holding hands. Anyone know what was going on here.

:agent:

Regards
    Robbie

• I received the book yesterday and in a few brief moment s got through Chapter One.

Yesterday's Daily Mirror gave the book a brief mention:

'Beautiful Maureen O'Hara star of the Quiet Man has written her autobiography Tis Herself, in which she says "I've always been a tough lass who can throw a punch".
    Famous for sparring with leading men, refusing to sleep with Hollywood bosses and standing up to a bullying Walt Disney did, she admits, cost her parts. As a consequence the actress has reached 83 unburdened by remorse, regret or bitterness and says blithly she intends to live another 20 years.'

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• You "John Wayne" fans out there ; I just finished reading Chapter 24 "John Wayne. American" of Maureen O'Harra's new book and the book it is Great! Many great storys about Her and the Duke and their friendship and love for each other, and storys about John Ford, then the sad story of "The Duke" passing on!

This is a must read for all the Duke and Maureen Fans. I am just starting to read it again for the second time! When you read Chapter 24 there will not be a Dry Eye in the house!! Chilibill :cowboy:

Originally posted by William T Brooks@Mar 26 2004, 07:27 PM
    You "John Wayne" fans out there ; I just finished reading Chapter 24 "John Wayne. American" of Maureen O'Harra's new book and the book it is Great! Many great storys about Her and the Duke and their friendship and love for each other, and storys about John Ford, then the sad story of "The Duke" passing on!

This is a must read for all the Duke and Maureen Fans. I am just starting to read it again for the second time! When you read Chapter 24 there will not be a Dry Eye in the house!! Chilibill :cowboy:

Don't know how many of you folks paid full price for Maureen's book but chances are you paid too much. Check out this price. And then kick yourself. :lol:

• That works out to $17.00 or $19.50 depending on what type of shipping you use. Thanks Stumpy for the info.

-John Wayne

Originally posted by SXViper@Mar 28 2004, 11:57 AM
    That works out to $17.00 or $19.50 depending on what type of shipping you use. Thanks Stumpy for the info.

Well, being the "thrifty" shopper I am, Viper, I naturally ordered the book with S&H at $4.50, meaning my price will be $17.00. Every other place I checked was about $21.00 with S&H, including Amazon and Barnes & Noble.

• HI

Just finished the book. I have an open mind on it.

One thing I am convinced of however is that if you believe only half of what Maureen O'Hara says, and I personally believe more than that, with John Ford for a friend you didn't need enemies.

I suppose that thirty years after his death its considered safe to remove the aura of mystique and greatness that has surrounded Ford by his previous writers as more and more revalations are surfacing and there are less and less people around to either confirm or refute them.

I think in parts she comes cross as a very sad lady and in some parts quite bitter but reading through her life I suppose at times she had cause to be.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Maureen O'Hara Pens New Autobiography

LOS ANGELES - In 1939, an Irish miss of 18 landed in Hollywood not knowing what to expect. Her education came swiftly as she was thrust into stardom with her first movie and became a pawn in the big-studio system.

With customary frankness, Maureen O'Hara recounts her life story in "'Tis Herself," written with John Nicoletti. She tells it all: her love-hate relationship with mentor John Ford ; her devotion — strictly platonic — to co-star John Wayne; the misbehavior of Errol Flynn; the rudeness of Rex Harrison; two failed marriages and a happy marriage that ended in tragedy; a phony scandal that helped put Confidential magazine out of business.

Read more at JWayne.com >>