Ebay What Do You Think

There are 63 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 14,227 times. The latest Post () was by triciat.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Hi Gang i didn't where to post this topic any heres the Questions
    !.what do you think of Ebay has anyone had any problems with purchases or payments.
    I have recently become a member and i have won three items the last was a about a week ago.But when i check my bank account two purchases have been debited i only purchased i item so has anyone have any ideas what happened. I have contacted Ebay and paypal.
    I personally like ebay but i have been ordered by thee Almighty(mrs Chance) to quit i think thats unfair but thats my problem.
    Thanks gang.
    Chance :headbonk::stunned::uhuh::dead::blink::(

"COME SEE A FAT OLD MAN SOMETIME"

• I have in the past bought items on ebay with no problem. However, I've also read about a lot of people being scammed. I guess your best guide to whether someone is trustworthy is to check out the seller's rating by other buyers. Read their comments, cross your fingers, and trust your instincts. :D

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Chance,

I too have made many purchases in the past on ebay (none lately) and had no problem. When I see an item on the block being bid, I check into everything I can about the seller. I look at the remarks and read. I know that some will put in negative feedback, but I have to take that with a grain of salt also. I just trust my instincts and go ahead. It hasn't failed me yet, and I keep a close eye on the money for a time. Just to be sure extra is not taken out. Ebay is very much on top of things here and I know there is some who takes away. Most of my purchase have been under $100 US, so I don't think that I would loose too much.

The last purchase was a Panasonic Fax machine from Nashville, TN. I paid only a penny (that's 1/100 of a US dollar). Of course I paid shipping & handling of almost $25 US, and had to get a power cord, Ink Film, and telephone cord. So after all of that, I spent almost 45$ US for the machine, used. But it works! Gave the seller a positive feedback. He told me that things were not included in the deal.

Anyway, Chance just keep an eye on things and read the feedback, you'll learn a lot from that.

Cheers, Hondo B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Hi Chance

Its funny but a weelk ago I tried to put a warning notice about one e bay seller on the post but was prevented not that that is a problem, I have had one let down in something like 117 transactions both selling and buying. It hurts when one is let down but I suppose on a pro rata basis I cant have too many complaints.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

Originally posted by Hondo Duke Lane@May 10 2004, 04:04 PM
    Of course I paid shipping & handling of almost $25 US

The last item I bought (about 4 years ago) was a very beautiful wooden (teak) chest from some dealer in imported furniture, whose base was in Indiana. (I live in Texas) My winning bid was only about $120. but the shipping costs (which weren't shown in the description) were a staggering $175. :angry: Man, I almost fainted.

But I also bought several hard-to-find (in America) books from sellers in Australia at what I thought were very reasonable prices, even including postage, and had no problems.

I'd say the vast majority of ebay sellers are trustworthy but be sure and check shipping costs before you bid on anything. I learned that lesson the hard way.

• hi chance,

i have to say i haven't hand any problems with ebay but i look for the option where you can deposit strait into their bank accounts and i find that this works ok for me. i also read the comments left by the other buyers from this person to see if they are reliable. i choose this so that i can keep an eye on how much i spend and know that i won't be hit twice for the amount, got to keep a watch on the penny's and the pounds will look after themselves.

cheers smokey

" its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"

• Hello All

Has anyone had much success selling on Ebay. I have heard many reports on TV etc of people being very succesful but I would like to hear your points of view. Speaking to people I know personally they have not in general been succesful resulting in their items not being purchased and in many cases not even looked at.

Thanks
    Robbie

Regards
    Robbie

• Hello Robbie,

I haven't sold much in the last two years, but I did have good success selling there before. It all depends on what you have to sell. If it is a desirable item, it will get bids. If you are sellng something that can be purchased anywhere, I doubt you will get many looks or bids.

I use to work in the printing division of a war game and fantasy board game company called Avalon Hill. We use to print a gaming magazine titled The General. I saved a copy of every issue I printed and a few of the board games that I printed the boards for and some of the older games that were given to me by my boss.

Avalon Hill war games were and still are very popular with war game enthusiasts. After the company sold out to Hasbro, I started putting my issues of The General and the board games up on ebay. I was shocked by the responce and some of the higher bids on the stuff. One older board game actually went for $150. I ended up making over $1200 dollars on what I thought wouldn't get many bids.

So, like I said, if you have something that others want. Something that can't be gotten in allot of places...you can make a splash on ebay. That's the experience that I had on ebay. Anyone else have luck or not on ebay?

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• Hi,
    I never sell on e-bay nothing, only buy. Last year I bought there many items. And enjoyed the whole thing. But around Christmas and New Year some strange thing started either with our post, either with e-bay. I didn't receive my last purchases. I was so dissapointed that quited the whole bisuness there.
    May be I was wrong.
    Anyway it was always difficalt to me because I can't use PayPal.

Regards,
    Senta

• Speaking of Avalon Hill games. I used to have a few like; Squad Leader & The Red Baron. I loved playing both games. Also, I think there used to be one that was about or was "fought" at Stalingrad. A friend of mine had this one and I the first time I ever played this one, I smeared him. This guy boasted of never losing that game. I was in charge of the Red Army and he was in charge of the German Army.

I sure do miss those games and wish they would again, would be sold on the market.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• We've had some experience selling on ebay. I had some old Cadillac shop manuals, still new in the box, that I did well with. The Mrs. has had some good dealings selling home schooling materials, and our daughter had some collectible coins that she sold. All in all, we probably sold most of what we posted.

One thing I would recommend, if you are thinking of selling something, is to do a search on the item you want to sell, then look at "Completed Items" to see how that item has sold. It gives you an idea how successful you might be - if an item is selling at all, and how much you might expect to sell it for.

Chester :newyear:

Originally posted by The Ringo Kid@Oct 10 2006, 01:05 PM
    Speaking of Avalon Hill games. I used to have a few like; Squad Leader & The Red Baron. I loved playing both games. Also, I think there used to be one that was about or was "fought" at Stalingrad. A friend of mine had this one and I the first time I ever played this one, I smeared him. This guy boasted of never losing that game. I was in charge of the Red Army and he was in charge of the German Army.

I sure do miss those games and wish they would again, would be sold on the market.

[snapback]35698[/snapback]

Hello Ringo, glad you enjoyed the games. When they sold to Hasbro, they were mainly switching over to computer games. They were almost like the board games, you just played on the virtual bord on your computer.

If you type Avalon Hill into ebay search, you will still find allot of these games, some are unpunched and never played.

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• Vera,

That is so disappointing, and I can see why you would be hesitant to try again.

Did you use ebay's complaint process? We have had similar problems as a buyer (not often, thankfully). One item in particular was a high price, and after almost 90 days we still had not received it. We emailed the seller, and said we would contact ebay if we did not have notification of actual shipping of the item before the 90 days (you have 90 days to file a complaint). On the 89th day, we filed the complaint, because we didn't want to miss our time limit. It would be easy enough to retract the complaint, which we did, since we got a call a few hours later from the shipper, to confirm the delivery address.

If possible, request insurance and some form of tracking. I know from experience shipping items overseas, that US Postal Service Global Priority does NOT allow for insurance, but is the most economical way to ship. So I have to contact the buyer and see if he/she wants to pay more for shipping that can include insurance. Most of the time, they choose the cheaper shipping, and thankfully, I have never had any overseas shipments get lost. In fact, in all the shipments I have made, only two have been "lost". One was insured, one wasn't. The value of the one that wasn't insured was small enough that I could afford to send another one (insured the second time, at the buyer's expense).

As to your inability to use Paypal, that should not be a problem. It takes longer to complete a transaction, but otherwise it's no big deal.

I strongly recommend that you check the feedback BEFORE bidding. If there are negative feedback comments, read them and see if it is a continuing issue (also, how recent are the complaints? Old? Maybe not to worry.).

I could go on here, but I won't . . . :rolleyes: .

Mrs. C :angel1:

• Hi

I use e-bay reasonably regularly as a buyer.
    My last purchase was No Substiture For vVctory, I bought it three weeks ago with the promise of a five day delivery. SAfter a week I e-maied again that it hadn't arrived and was again promised that it would be here within a week.

As I was about to complain again it arrived Tuesday and although I haven't played it it looks pretty good presentation wise.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

Originally posted by chester7777@Oct 12 2006, 10:07 AM
    Vera,

That is so disappointing, and I can see why you would be hesitant to try again.

Did you use ebay's complaint process?

Vera and Mrs. C,
    I used to buy movies that weren't available anywhere else but on ebay and the sellers always came through. But about 8 or 9 months ago I ordered one of the Duke's books from some thief in Chicago, who not only didn't send the book but also didn't refund my money.

When I finally submitted a formal complaint to ebay, they informed me that they would arbitrate the dispute between the seller and me but that it would cost me another $25. in addition to the money I had already sent to the thieving seller. Made me so mad I said forget it and haven't bought anything at ebay since then.

My attitude was that if they (ebay) would enforce the rules by barring sellers who rip off the buyers, they wouldn't have such problems to begin with.

• Thanks Mark, i'll check into it. Yep, I spent many-an-hour, stooped in front of some of Avalon Hill's RPG's I definately would like the Squad Leader game and some others--in my possession again. I love that Eastern Front stuff.

BTW, I have two computer games--no computer---yet. I have: Eastern Front by talonsoft, and Sid Meier's Civil War. Both games are excellent. I never got around to buying any others unfortunately.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

Originally posted by Stumpy@Oct 12 2006, 10:23 AM
    When I finally submitted a formal complaint to ebay, they informed me that they would arbitrate the dispute between the seller and me but that it would cost me another $25. in addition to the money I had already sent to the thieving seller. Made me so mad I said forget it and haven't bought anything at ebay since then.

My attitude was that if they (ebay) would enforce the rules by barring sellers who rip off the buyers, they wouldn't have such problems to begin with.

[snapback]35812[/snapback]

Stumpy,

WOW! That would make me mad :angry: , too! I can understand your feelings. Fortunately, our good experiences have far outweighed the bad.

Our daughter used to go to the thrift store and pick up things and turn around and sell them on ebay. You definitely have to know what kinds of things to look for. Her best deal was a little sofa (the kind some folks buy for their pampered pets, or collectors buy for displaying dolls). She paid a dollar for it, and sold it for $45! Some profit!

It's an interesting phenomenon, to be sure.

Speaking of ebay, have you guys heard Weird Al's "Ebay Song"? It's a take-off of an N'Sync song, and for anybody who's had any dealings on ebay, it's pretty funny.

In fact . . . here it is - You Tube - ebay song - enjoy!!

Mrs. C :angel1:

• Hi Mrs. C,

Thank you for the message and advice. I think it is too late for the complaints. At that time I thought that the items were lost by the post, becouse it happened around Christmas and New Year. Anyway I was in bad mood becouse of some other things and told myself: You desreve it, you wasn't good enough to receive what you want. :headbonk:

But now when time is passed I feel that I missed something. And may be will try e-bay again. It was a lot of fun in other cases.
    Regards, :rolleyes:
    Vera