Escape From Fort Bravo

There are 8 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 3,541 times. The latest Post () was by The Ringo Kid.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I have just seen Escape from Fort Bravo, and like this movie. Holden was really good in this picture, and had a good cast. This 1954 movie casted:
    William Holden .... Capt. Roper
    Eleanor Parker .... Carla Forester
    John Forsythe .... Capt. John Marsh
    William Demarest .... Campbell
    William Campbell .... Cabot Young
    Polly Bergen .... Alice Owens
    Richard Anderson .... Lt. Beecher
    Carl Benton Reid .... Col. Owens
    John Lupton .... Bailey

Not a bad cast. It was directed by John Sturges. I am not as familiar with him, but know of some of his work in Bad Day At The Black Rock (1955), People Against O'Hara, The (1951), Gunfight at the O.K. Corral (1957), Old Man and the Sea, The (1958), Magnificent Seven, The (1960), Great Escape, The (1963), Hallelujah Trail, The (1965), Ice Station Zebra (1968), Joe Kidd (1972), John Wayne's McQ (1974) & Eagle Has Landed, The (1976).

Any thoughts about this movie? By the way, it's not released on DVD, but is on VHS.

Cheers B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Hi Hondo

Yes Escape from Fort Bravo is one of my favourite movies. John Sturgess was renowned for the wide panning shot showing the marvelous landscapes and panaramas.
    Possibly he couldn't use this technique to its best effect on this picture,and the night scene when they are in the desert surrounded by the apaches is obviously shot on a set. but for all that it is a good film.
    It also shows William Holden as a determined officer with a vicious streak which was at the time slightly out of character as normally he played friendlier types, although Sunset Boulevard predated this film.

He was also good in The Bridges at Toko Ri.

One thing I also forgot I liked the sound track which I think is similiar to yellow stripes from Rio Grande.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi, I also liked Escape From Fort Bravo. The cast was a good one and did you know that that storekeeper who the Carla character went to see when she was going to buy some lace material, was the guy who played Floyd the Barber in the Andy Griffith TV series.

Favorite scenes of course were when their group was tracked and the Apaches were placing spears around them for their Artillery (Archers) to use as a bracketing markers as is done when firing artillery shells. Great scenes.

Also, the song in question was written by Stan Jones whos music was featured in several Western movies like Rio Grande and I think The Horse Soldiers. The song is titled: Yellow Stripes.

:cowboy: TRK.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• I liked that film as well, but, my all time favorite John Sturges movies are The Magnificent Seven and The Great Escape. In fact The Great Escape just come out on DVD in a special edition in the last few months and they cleaned it up from the original DVD version and gave it 5.1 surrond sound. Great movie!!

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• SXViper,

Do you have the newest edition? I have the older DVD. It drives me crazy that they do that. I don't need two copies of that movie, and I want to best, but when you buy this movie three or four years ago and then they release something else, well that bites my butt.

Cheers B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Hondo,

I agree with you totally about re-releasing movies. Makes things tough and expensive. And yes, I have the new version and it totally blows the "old" one away. I recommend getting it. You will not be disappointed.

-John Wayne

• Yes, having a big tv with a surrond sound system helps, the changes to the new DVD are that it is "anamorphic widescreen" as opposed to "letterbox". That means that there is less of a bar on the top and bottom(which doesn't matter on a big screen). Also they "cleaned up" the video frame by frame which if you look at the old one there are times where there are scratches or "dirt" or just a blurry spot in parts of it. Also the sound is much better.

-John Wayne