Passing Of The Torch

There are 17 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 5,920 times. The latest Post () was by Baby Sister.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Duke died in 1979. While he will always occupy a special place in the hearts of most board participants, I'm wondering what movie stars who've come to prominence in the 25 years since the Big Guy's passing are your favorites. Name all your favorite current Hollywood performers (actors or actresses). Mine are Gene Hackman, Harrison Ford, Robert de Niro, Holly Hunter, Tommie Lee Jones, Brad Pitt, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Jody Foster, Tom Cruise, Sigourney Weaver, Morgan Freeman, Mel Gibson, Robert Duvall, Kevin Costner, Anthony Hopkins and Sandra Bullock.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• :cowboy: Hi Stumpy:

My favorites since the Duke passed away and that are still living are: Charlton Heston, Richard Widmark, Karl Malden, Gene Hackman, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Ernest Borgnine, Clint Eastwood, Kirk Douglas, Mel Gibson, Harrison Ford, Michael Caine, Jackie Chan, Tom Hanks, Jon Voight, Fess Parker, Harry Carey Jr. Bruce Willis, Robert Wagner and Bob Hoskins to name a few. I like alot of actresses as well but, I am not familiar with many of their names since there are so many new ones coming to notice recently.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Not very many, I'm afeard.

Russell Crowe is the only person in recent memory that has exicted me in any tangible way. He's very good. I've always liked Gene Hackman. Matt Damon has been pretty good lately in those "Bourne" movies. Tom Hanks is always good. I used to really enjoy Harrison Ford but not so much lately. I like Robert DeNiro but I've grown weary of the cussing and violence in many of the films he's in.

I do enjoy A Bronx Tale, a film he directed back in '93. I don't know if others have seen it, but it's got he and Chazz Palminteri and a kid named Lillo Brancato, Jr. who's a dead ringer for a young DeNiro. Again, though, this is the kind of film I'd be embarrassed to watch with my mom or with my young nephews. Too many f-words.

Originally posted by The Ringo Kid@Nov 18 2004, 02:44 PM
    :cowboy: Hi Stumpy:

My favorites since the Duke passed away and that are still living are: Charlton Heston, Richard Widmark, Karl Malden, Gene Hackman, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Ernest Borgnine, Clint Eastwood, Kirk Douglas, Mel Gibson, Harrison Ford, Michael Caine, Jackie Chan, Tom Hanks, Jon Voight, Fess Parker, Harry Carey Jr. Bruce Willis, Robert Wagner and Bob Hoskins to name a few. I like alot of actresses as well but, I am not familiar with many of their names since there are so many new ones coming to notice recently.

[snapback]12602[/snapback]

I forgot Bruce Willis, Tom Hanks, Russell Crowe and Clint Eastwood, who would also be among my favorites. When I asked for your favorites, I was mostly thinking of performers who are still active, even though they haven't died yet. That's why I didn't include people like Richard Widmark and Glenn Ford who, though they're both among my all-time favorites, are no longer making pictures.

Originally posted by A Girl Named Jen@Nov 18 2004, 03:09 PM
    I like Robert DeNiro but I've grown weary of the cussing and violence in many of the films he's in.

I know what you mean, Jen. As a military retiree, I'm certainly no stranger to profanity but I sure get irritated by all the filthy language in today's movies. It doesn't add a durned thing to the story line and I don't know why screen writers feel they have to include it. I want to be able to watch movies with my grandkids (or my mom, if she was still living) and that's almost impossible with modern films. And those de Niro has made with Martin Scorsese are some of the worst offenders. Even though they're basically pretty good stories, the language in them is terrible.

• I'm no fan of Di Niro myself I guess part of my problem is that I cant relate to many of the characters he plays.

Clints my favourite star after the Duke Hanks and Willis are not bad either.

:agent:

Regards
    Robbie

• I keep thinking of favorite performers I forgot to include on my list. Probably my favorite after Big John is Paul Newman, who I suppose still makes an occasional movie. Also Jack Nicholson.

• I would say Eastwood, Harrison Ford, Kevin Costner(in a baseball movie or western), Arnold Schwarzenegger(retired for now), Will Smith, Mel Gibson(close number 1 right now), Tom Selleck(wish he made more movies), Russell Crowe, and Kurt Russell.

Women actors. Chalize Theron(WOW), Natlie Portman, Kiera Knightly(super WOW), and Hale Barry!!

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• I wonder if the women men find beautiful are the same as the women women find beautiful. I don't think Charlize Theron is that great, quite frankly, but I have to admit Keira Knightley is really pretty. Halle Berry is incredibly beautiful, but I think she's had some plastic surgery. What about Kate Winslet?

If I had to pick someone I'd seen on screen recently who I think is most beautiful, I'd say it's a Spanish model/actress named Ines Sastre.

http://foversta.free.fr/

I think she's absolutely gorgeous.

Classic movie gals who are gorgeous, IMO, are Ingrid Bergman (no shocker there) and Gene Tierney. What cheekbones. I also think Maureen O'Hara was stunning. If you see her in The Hunchback of Notre Dame she's even more beautiful than in any movie she did with Duke. She absolutely glows.

• Hi Jen, I think beauty is in the eye of the beholder. For me Charlize is nice looking women. I also forgot one, Catherine Zeta-Jones.

And if you want to talk "golden age" actresses that were very nice looking. I have a couple. At the top of the list it would be Maureen, then Jane Russell, and finally Donna Reed.

Kate Winslet is a good actress and nice looking but just not one that stands out to me.

Ines is nice looking and has a exoctic beauty to her. I have not however seen here in a movie, atleast one that I recognize here in. So I cannot comment on her acting abilities.

-John Wayne

• For pure beauty, the young Elizabeth Taylor was hard to beat. For instance, in "Lassie Come Home", "National Velvet", "Ivanhoe" or "Giant". Paulette Goddard and Hedy Lamarr were also exceptionally beautiful women. I think my favorite for beauty though was Jean Simmons. In her heyday, she was a knockout.

Recently, while visiting my brother, we were watching TV (some kind of C&W musical program) when this wonderfully beautiful woman came on singing a song. Since I'm almost totally ignorant of modern celebrities, I asked my brother "Who's that beautiful little darlin'?" He said, "That's Shania Twain". She's really a looker - almost enough to make me into a C&W fan, and that's my least favorite kind of music other than opera and rap. :lol:

Originally posted by SXViper@Nov 18 2004, 09:20 PM
    . . . Tom Selleck (wish he made more movies) . . .

[snapback]12614[/snapback]

Viper,

I agree with you about Tom Selleck, and feel he suffers the same thing that the Duke did, along with Charlton Heston - supporting too many conservative and Republican causes, which to the Hollywood "moguls" is the unpardonable sin.

Regarding female actresses from the golden age, I heard our 16 year old son telling someone the other day that he thinks Lauren Bacall is "hot." When he was 5 or 6 years old, he thought Darla from the Little Rascals was pretty cute (and was teased by his older siblings that he had a crush :wub: on her).

Mrs. C :angel1:

I agree with you about Tom Selleck, and feel he suffers the same thing that the Duke did, along with Charlton Heston - supporting too many conservative and Republican causes, which to the Hollywood "moguls" is the unpardonable sin.

What's unpardonable is these Hollywood "moguls". They should be run out of the country they take all the money from. They don't seem so compassionate or understanding to me.

-John Wayne

• :cowboy: Hi Stumpy, sorry about that. I was just listing who was still living as well. The last new movie I saw Richard Widmark in I think was called: "Cold Sassy Tree" or something like that. Truthfully, the only reason I watched that movie was to see Richard Widmark.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• I completely agree on Inez Sastre. I was switching channels a few months ago and happened to land on a chanell showing Vercingétorix where she starred and I had to find out who she was. A terrible movie, but she is really beautiful. Other actresses based purely on looks would be Vanessa Angel,Michelle Pfeiffer, Lena Olin, Raquel Welch, Gina Lollobrigida, Sophia Loren and Lauren Bacall. No big surprises there.
    Actors still going strong that I like would be Michael Caine and Harrison Ford. Still for newer movies I have some comedians I like a lot: John Cleese, Rowan Atkinson and Robin Williams.

• Hey Popul Vuh - Ines Sastre will probably never be in a big Hollywood blockbuster and I don't even know, to be honest with you, if she's that great of an actress. I saw her in an Italian film called (as I recall) The Best Man. She's supposed to marry this creepy oily mafia type but she falls almost instantly in love with his best man - it's sort of a comedy/romance/fairy tale type of film.

I agree, SXViper, that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. You're definitely not alone in your appreciation of Charlize Theron. B) And you won't get any arguments from me on Catherine Zeta-Jones, either.

Just in case anyone doesn't know what Gene Tierney looks like (she's not terribly well-known), here's a link:

http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Set/7178/

She's like the female equivalent of Gregory Peck - such beautiful, finely wrought features.

I forgot Sean Connery (for actors that I like who are still working, I mean).

• This is sure something that makes you stop and think for a minute , but after John Wayne my favorite actors would have to be ...Tommy Lee Jones, Harrison Ford, Tom Selleck, Robert Duvall, and of course the classics Clark Gable, Cary Grant and Humphrey Bogart.
    As for actresses I would have to go with Renee Zellweger, Helen Hunt, and always Maureen OHara, Vivien Leigh, Kathrine Hepburn.

Now I think I need a movie fix.... :D

Baby Sister

"Give me a man like Duke Wayne"...Marueen O'Hara