There are 997 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 249,394 times. The latest Post () was by ethanedwards.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Hi Jim and Sue

By all means feel free to tweak as much as you like. This topic is for events and dates connected with the Duke.

His coworkers, his films, the directors and events that happened during his life and before, and even after his death. I would like to think that you and your family and every other member of THE JOHN WAYNE MESSEGE BOARD are as much an integral part of that story as every other factor. I hope that any conributions made by yourself and others after a year will reveal a wonderful viewpoint of the story of John Wayne.

My Best Regards

Arthur

PS I hope you had a fantastic Anniversary and my Best Wishes.

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi

On this day 29th July

35 years ago Chisum was released in the USA

100 years ago the actress Thelma Todd was born she appeared in Mker of Men

107 years ago the actor George Chesbro was born he featured in The Lawless Nineties.

22 years ago the actor Raymond Massey died aged 86 a fine classical actor he played the villain in Reap the Wild Wind

7 years ago the actor O.Z.Whitehead died aged 87. I don't know if John Ford had a sudden rush of blood to the head by casting him as a youngster in The Man Who Shot lLberty Valance, but he was better cast in Ford other pictures.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi

On this day 30th July

John Wayne's horse Big Roman won a race at Bay Meadows.

64 years ago Paul Anka was born in Canada, he went on to become a singer and composer writing among others My Way and the theme for The Longest Day.

66 years ago the producer and director Peter Bogdanovich was born. He is a tenuous link with John Wayne in that he wrote a book about John Ford, so I suppose he is a once removed link.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi

On this Day 31 July

61 years ago the actress and up to a couple of months ago the president of MGM Sherry Lansing was born.

90 years ago the actor Chet Stratton was born he appeared in 'In Harms Way'

1 year ago the acrtress Virginia Grey died aged 87.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi

On this day 1st August

50 years ago John Ford began shooting the interior scenes for The Searchers.

111 years ago the actor Stanley Blystone was born, he apeared in 'In Old Califonia'.

54 years ago Max von Sydow - Jesus in The Greatest Story Ever Told, married Christina Olin.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi

On this day 2nd August:-

93 years ago the actress Ann Dvorak was born
    84 years ago the actor Carroll O'Connor was born he was In Harm's Way
    86 years ago Nehemia Persoff was born he was the baddie in The Comancheros
    90 years ago Gary Merrill was born see him in the American version of Cast A Giant Shadow.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• hi

On this day 3rd August

90 years ago Louise Platt was born she was aboard Ford's Stagecoach.

22 years ago Carolyn Jones died suddenly aged 54

73 years ago the director Otto Preminger married Marian Mill.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi

On this day 5th August

65 years ago Roman Gabriel was born. A former footballer he played Blue in the Undefeated.

91 years ago the actor David Brian was born, you will have a chance to judge his work as he was in The High and the Mighty, as well as Liliths lawyer in How the West Was Won.

107 years ago the prodcer and director Armand Schaefer was born, among others he directed The Hurricane Express.

27 years ago he actor Ralph Meeker died aged 67

21 years ago Richard Burton died aged 58

23 years ago the actress Wanda Rotha died aged 77 she played a small part in The Magnificent Showman.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi

On this Day August 6th:-

82 years ago the actor Sherwood Bailey was born and on this day:-

64 years ago he died.

36 years ago Kurt Kazner died aged 66 he was in Legend Of The Lost.

38 years ago El Dorado released in the UK.

Nelse McLeod: You didn't give me... any chance at all, did you?
    Cole: No, I didn't. You're too good to give a chance to.
    Nelse McLeod: I let a one-armed man take me...

62 years ago the actor Michael Anderson jnr born he appeared in The Sons of Katie Elder and The Greatest Story Ever Told'

79 years ago the actor Frank Finley was born he was in The Longest Day.

85 years ago the beautiful actress (Well I think she was beautiful) Ella Raines was born. She was in Tall in the Saddle.

94 years ago the actress Lucille Ball was born. While she never appeared with John Wayne on the large screen in television she was responsible for two of the great comedy shows starring John Wayne on the set of Rio Lobo and in the scene where she steals his paving stone.

113 years ago the cowboy actor Hoot Gibson was born

124 years ago Louella Parsons was born.

15 years ago the actor Charles Arnt died he was in Without Reservations.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi

On this day August 7th

73 years ago Three Girls Lost was released in Finland.

88 years ago the actor Carl 'Alfalfa' Swtzer was born. See him in The High and The Mighty and Island in the Sky.

56 years ago John Ireland married Joanne Dru.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi

On this Day Ugust 8th

36 years ago a statue of John Wayne dressed as Rooster Cogbrn appeared on the cover of Times Magazine.

105 years ago the composer Victor Young was born. Among others he did the Quiet Man and Rio Grande

106 years ago the actor and musician Cactus Mack was born. He appeared in Angel and the Badman.

25 years ago the British actor Simon Lack died. He featured in The Longest Day.

20 years ago Louise Brooks died her final picture was Overland Stage Riders.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi

On this day 9th August

67 years ago the actress Michele Giraradon was born.

98 years ago Marion Burns was born she was Wayne's co-star in Paradise Canyon.

99 years ago

the cinmatographer Robert Surtees was born as was:

the actress Dorothy Jordonand also

the actor Leo Genn

102 years ago Tom Tyler(luke Plummer in Stagecoach) was born

110 years ago Slim Talbot was born, besides standing in for Gary Cooper, he also worked with John Wayne in the Man Who Shot Liberty Valance.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi

On this day August 10th

81 years ago Martha Hyer was born she appeared in The Sons of Katie Elder

82 years ago Rhonda Fleming was born she was reputed to have been in The War of the Wildcats her only picture with John Wayne and a very tenuous link.

91 years ago the ago Jeff Corey was born, a victim of the HUAC hearings he appeared in True Grit.

91 years the British director Ken Annakin was born he directed a segment of The Longest Day.

36 years ago the actr Lafe Mckee died aged 88 he featured often as a sheriff in John Wayne's Lone Star pictures.

29 years ago Ray 'Crash' Corrigan died aged 75.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

Originally posted by arthurarnell@Aug 10 2005, 12:50 AM
    91 years ago the ago Jeff Corey was born, a victim of the HUAC hearings he appeared in True Grit.

[snapback]20182[/snapback]

Hi Arthur -
    If I'm not mistaken, Corey had an acting school which he conducted for many years. One of the last movies he did that I remember seeing him in was "Bird on a Wire" - a mostly forgotten Mel Gibson, Goldie Hawn flick.
    Cheers - Jay :D

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• Hi Jay

Yes he did, when he was blacklisted he ran the school from a garage and many of the well known stars of the sixties and seventies studied with him. I believe he also featured on television as a schoolmaster shortly before his death.

On this day 11th August

27 years ago The Shootist was released in Finland.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• I just realized that a date went by (July 21) without noting (as far as I can tell) the passing of composer Jerry Goldsmith a year ago.
    I may be mistaken, but I think his only association with a Duke movie was "Rio Lobo." His opening title music for solo guitar was the epitome of simplicity, economy and poignancy and, of course, his score for the whole movie was of his generally high standard of musically proficient and effective mood and action partnership. It's too bad he didn't have more opportunity to collaborate on other John Wayne pictures, but he did the scores for so many other movies from the 60s through the early 00s that we are left a legacy few other film composers can match.
    Cheers - Jay -_-

"Not hardly!!!"

• Hi Jay my friend,
    Besides RIO LOBO,
    you can also add the score to IN HARMS WAY,
    another of Jerry Goldsmiths fine film scores!

Jerry Goldsmith, was such a prolific composer,
    and was the writer of, amongst other things, such
    classics. as:-

IN HARMS WAY
    RIO LOBO

TWILIGHT ZONE
    GUNSMOKE
    THE MAN FROM UNCLE
    DR. KILDARE
    THE WALTONS
    POLICE STORY
    BARNABY JONES
    STAR TREK (Tv and Movies)

PLANET OF THE APES
    PATTON
    PAPILLON
    CHINATOWN
    THE OMEN
    POLTERGEIST
    2001-SPACE ODYSSEY
    BASIC INSTINCT
    CONGO
    HOUR OF THE GUN
    RIO CONCHAS
    STAGECOACH(The Remake)
    BANDOLERO
    100 RIFLES

Best Wishes,
    Keith

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Quite right, Keith - there is a portion of my brain that must be disconected with the rest - I just watched my new DVD of "In Harm's Way" two weeks ago, but the connective tissue just did not make the association :headbonk: . That was another great score by Goldsmith that can rest along side so many others in his canon of musical achievements. By the way, at the beginning of IHW, at the soiree when Tom Tryon has the band stop the music, that is a young Goldsmith at the piano that gestures for the band to stop. He also made a brief cameo in "Gremlins II."
    Does anyone know of any other on-camera appearances that Goldsmith may have made?
    Cheers - Jay :D

"Not hardly!!!"

• Hi

On this Day 12th August

(Known as the Glorious twelvth when we can go and legally shoot anything that is flying).

88 years ago the actor Kem Dibbs was born. He featured in How The West Was Won.

108 years ago Oscar Homolka was born in Austria. He appeared as the cafe owner in Seven Sinners.

124 years ago Cecil B De Mille was born. Duke had a falling out with deMille in the 1930s and despite deMille asking him only appeared in one picture for the director - Reap the Wild Wind.

23 years ago Henry Fonda died aged 77.

57 years ago the actor James T Mack died aged 77 he was in Adventures End.

61 years ago Harry Carey jnr married Marylin Fix - Happy Anniversary Dobe.

66 Peter Shaw married Angela Lansbury.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low