There are 997 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 234,350 times. The latest Post () was by ethanedwards.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Hi Arthur,
    It is very interestin and sad facts about Bond. I'm just reading about his start with Ford.
    I didn't think that Ford didn't appear at the funeral, becouse he was angry at Bond. Some people didn't want to attend funerals.
    Regards,
    Senta

• Hi Arthur and Vera,
    Thanks for the posting on Ward Bond.
    To add to this, it seemed that being in complete control
    of Wagon Train, went to Wards head,
    and unfortunately, his attiude of the big 'I am'
    rankled many people,

Keith

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Hi Arthur

thanks for the insight on Ward Bond.
    I always liked watching him in John Wayne
    movies.
    I know that they were friends for a
    very long time and I have read that
    Duke was happy for his friend when
    he began starring in WAGON TRAIN.
    As we know Duke appeared on the
    show and John Ford directed the same
    episode and all three had planed to
    watch the show together but unfortunately
    Bond died before it was aired in the states.

Emmanuel.

Emmanuel.

I'll try one of those black beers....THE QUIET MAN.

• Hi

On this day 9th November

52 years ago Trouble Along the Way was released in Sweden and Island in the Sky was released in UK.

47 years ago the Barbarian and the Geisha was released in the UK.

110 years ago the actress Mae Marsh was born she featured in Donovan's Reef.

118 years ago the actress Gertrude Astor was born and:-
    28 years ago she died. One of her last films was The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance.

57 years ago the veteran actor Edgar Kennedy died from throat cancer he was in In Old California.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi

On this day 10th November

49 years ago The composer Victor Young died aged 56.

70 years ago the actress Pippa Scott was born she played Lucy in the Searchers.

73 years ago Don Henderson was born he appeared in Star Wars and Brannigan.

81 years ago Russell Johnson was born. The professor in Gilligans Island he was also in The Greatest Stiory Ever Told.

116 years ago Claude Rains was born he was in The Greatest Story Ever Told.

13 years ago the actor Chuck Connors died aged 71 apart from achieving his greatest fame as The Rifleman he also appeared with Duke in Trouble Along the Way.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi

On this day November 11th

34 years ago NBC showed The Longest Day it had a 25.9 rating and a 42% audience.

94 years ago the actor Patric Knowles was born . He appeared in Chisum

98 years ago Robert Ryan was born. He was in The Flying Leathernecks.

2 years ago the actor and director Don Taylor died age 67 he was also in The Flying Leathernecks.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi

On this day November 12th

77 years ago the John Ford picture Hangman's Jouse was released in the UK.

33 years ago True Grit was shown on the ABC Network it achieved a Network rating of 38.9 and a 63% audience.

68 years ago the actress Ina Balin was born she appeared in the comancheros and TGSET.

121 years ago the actor Griff Barnett was born, he was in Without Reservations

20 years ago Jarma lewis d aged 54 she was in The Conqueror

58 years ago the veteran actor Theodore lorch died aged 74 he was in Stagecoach.

36 years ago director Blake Edwards who played a minor role in Operation Pacific married Julie Andrews. I bet the hills were alive to the sound of music.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi

On this day 13th November

135 years ago Henry Kolker was born. He appeared in Re-Union in France.

89 years ago the actor Jack Elam was born.

65 years ago in Montreal Canada the actor Daniel Pilon was born, he played the assassin in Brannigan.

32 years ago the Cowboys was shown on ABC it had a 27.8 rating and a 42% audience.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi

On this day 14th November:-

40 years ago the Sons of Katie Elder was released in the UK.

99 years ago Louise Brooks was born. She was in Overland Stage Raiders (her final film).

101 years ago the actor and director Dick Powell was born, he starred in College Coach and directed The Conqueror.

9 years ago the actress Virginia Cherril died aged 88, she was in one of John Wayne's earlier pictures Girls Demand Excitement.

45 years ago Walter Catlett died aged 60 he was in Maker of Men.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi

On this day 15th November
    (halfway through November and i'm still trying to figure where October went)

29 years ago The Shootist was released in Denmark:

Dr. E.W. Hostetler: Books, I've been a doctor a long time and every now and then I have to tell a man or a woman what I'm about to tell you. Books, you have a cancer.
    John Bernard Books: Damn! Can you just cut it out?
    Dr. E.W. Hostetler: No, I'd have to gut you like a fish.
    John Bernard Books: Well, Doc; how long do I have?
    Dr. E.W. Hostetler: Two maybe three months. You won't feel any different for a while, then the pain will start. A little at first, then toward the end, the pain will be unbearable.
    John Bernard Books: Well, that's it then. Thanks, Doc.

71 years ago the actress Joanna Barnes was born she appeared in The War Wagon.

76 years ago the actor Ed Asner was born he was the villain in El Dorado.

103 years ago the veternan cowboy actor Jack Ingram was born. Appearing in over 270 pictures he was in New Frontier.

36 years ago the supporting actor Roy D'Arcy died, he was in Shadow of the Eagle.

39 years ago William Haade died aged 63 he was in Pittsburgh.

58 years ago Frank 'Spig' Weade died aged 52 he was the topic of the John Wayne character in Wings of Eagles.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi

On this day16th November

77 years ago the actor Clu Gulager was born, he appeared in many westerns but his film with Duke was McQ.

83 years ago Royal Dano was born, he was in the Undefeated.

91years ago the actress Alvira Rios was born, she was in Stagecoach.

98 years ago Burgess Merideth was born, known as the Penguin in the TV Batman, and Rocky's trainer in that series of films, he was also seen in In Harm's Way.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi

On this day 17th November

42 years ago ABC TV aired the Sons of Katie Elder it had a 27.7 rating and a 46% audience.

80 years ago Rock hudson was born. He appeared with Duke in The Undefeated.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi

On this day 18th November:-

70 years ago The Desert Trail was released in the UK.

59 years ago Without Reservations was released in the UK,
    and on the same day the British actor Donald Meek died age 68.

33 years ago Green Berets was shown on NBC it had a 28.9 rating with a 45% audience. (I understand the audience bit but can someone explain the rating)

37 years ago Walter Wanger the executive producer of Stagecoach, died aged aged 74.

16 years ago William Wister Haines died aged 81. Never heard of him? he wrote the screenplay for The Wings of Eagles.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi Arthur,
    Your date check is always interesting.
    It is interesting that I received Without Reservations right near the date of its release and watch it yesterday. I like it, the light comedy and nice dialoge.
    Regards,
    Senta

• Hi

On this day 19th November:-

34 years ago Big Jake was released in West Germany.

John Fain: Who are you?
    Jake: Jacob McCandles.
    John Fain: I thought you were dead.
    Jake: Not hardly.

27 years ago John Wayne taped the Variety Club tribute to James Stewart at Warner Brothers.

112 years ago a double occurred The Cinematographer Bert Glennon and the actor Chris Pin Martin were both born.

111 years ago the cinematographer Lucien N Androit was born he shot The Big Trail.

20 years ago the comic actor Stepin Fetchit died aged 83. One of John Fords favourite actors he was in Salute among other films.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi

On this day 20th November

63 years ago Reap the Wild Wind was released in Sweden.

and keeping to the continent

61 years later the Fighting Seabees was also released in that country.

85 years ago the actor Douglas Dick was born. One of his most famous pictures was The Red Badge of Courage, and he was also in North to Alaska. Not a John Wayne or Henry Hathaway fan he found them both unapproachable, and apart from the scenery didn't have much to say about his screen appearance, but as they say it would be a dull world if everyone though the same.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi Arthur,
    What parts are they playing?
    Regards,
    Vera