There are 997 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 234,405 times. The latest Post () was by ethanedwards.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

Originally posted by arthurarnell@Mar 8 2006, 01:47 AM
    96 years ago Claire Trevor was born she appeared with Duke in Stagecoach, The First Rebel, Dark Command and the High and the Mighty.

[snapback]28599[/snapback]

Trevor remained a close friend of Duke's until his death.
    Cheers - Jay :D

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• Hi

A Day late but on March 9th

114 years ago the actors Frank Puglia and Walter Miller were born The first appeared in Without Reservations and Tall in the Saddle, the second in Central Airport and Shadow of the Eagle.

103 years ago Otto Ludwig was born he appeared in I Married A Woman.

74 years ago Ron Hagarthy was born he played bugle in The Horse Soldiers.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi

Back again in sync and we go well back in time for some of these remembrances.

122 years ago the actor Stuart holmes was born he appeared in The Horse Soldiers, Wings of Eagles and The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance.

118 years ago the fine Irish actor Barry Fitzgerald was born who can forget his appearances in The Quiet Man and The Long Voyage Home with John Wayne and as the priest in The Bells of St Mary's.

115 years ago the actor Sam Jaffe was born best known as Gungha Din He was also in The Barbarian and the Geisha.

108 years ago the actor Cy Kendall was born. A heavily built actor he appeared with John Wayne in a number of pictures often playing the heavy (the villain) perhaps Keith another Pal in the Saddle???

and getting a little more up to date

49 years ago the screenwriter Samuel Ornitz died he wrote the screenplay for Three Faces West.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Thanks Arthur,
    and duly noted, I'll include him tomorrow.
    His name rang a 'little' bell,
    but I am sure when I post his biog and pic,
    it will be, AH!!, I remember him!!!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Hi

On this day March 11th

39 years ago the actor Joseph Forte died aged 73 he was in Dark Command and pals of the Saddle.

38 years ago Maureen O'Hara married General Charles F Blair.

17 years ago the actor William Challee died aged 84 he was in Without Recservations.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi

On this Day 12th March

101 years ago the Austrian actress Wanda Rotha was born. She only appeared in one picture with the Duke and it was her last - Circus World.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi

On this day 13th Mach105 years ago Paul Fix and Mack D'Agostino were born one of John Wayne's best friends and mentor Fix aided Duke in his acting progress. Maxk D'Agostino was a producer who directed The Voice of Hollywood number 13.

39 years ago the actor Bob Kortman died aged 79 he was in some of John Wayne's B westerns.

27 years ago the actor Tudor Owen died aged 81 he had featrued in the sea Chase and How the West Was Won.

26 years ago Harlan Warde died aged 62 he had been in Wings of Eagles.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi

On this day 14th March

62 years ago the actress Lana Turner married Stephen Crane.

36 years ago the art director Albert D'Agostino died aged 77 he was involved in Jet Pilot and the Conqueror.

15 years ago Maurice Zolotow the author of Shooting Star died aged 77.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi

On this day 15th March

87 years ago the actor Lawrence Tierney was born he appeared in Back to Bataan.

99 yars ago the actor Paul Maxey was born he was in north to Alaska

119 years ago the actor Montague Love was born in my home town, normally billed as a villain he played a judge in Lady For A Night.

37 years ago the actor Miles Malleson died aged 80, he was in Circus World.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi

On this day 16th March

128 years ago the actor Henry B Walthall was born

130 years ago Charles Halton was born he was in 3 Godfathers

50 years ago the actor Jack Curtis died aged 75 he was also in 3 Godfathers

22 years ago Shug Fisher died, a member of the Sons of the Pioneers he was inThe Man Who Shot Liberty Valance and Rio Grande.

Regards

Arthur.

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi

On this day 17th March

108 years ago Paul McVey was born he was in Pitsburgh (the film not the place)

96 years ago the actor Frank de Kova was born he played the Tormentor in The Greatest Story Ever Told.

44 years ago we said goodbye to Frank Orth aged 82 he had played a small role in Tall in the Saddle.

26 years ago Hugh Farr a member of the noted Sons of the Pioneers died aged 76. In the year of his death he had been elected to the Country Music Hall of Fame. He sang in Rio Grande.

33 years ago the actor Don Epperson was killed in an automobile accident at the age of 35. He had been in Big Jake.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi

On this day 18th March

130 years ago the actor Frank Darien was born he was in Tall in the Saddle.

79 years ago the author George Plimpton was born. His programme Shoot Out At Rio Lobo saw him feature scenes from the film and he also appeared in the film. He had one line to say ad was coached by an actor who required multiple take when ever he had to say something on screen. At the last moment when Plimpton had eventually mastered the line, Hawks changed it.

28 years ago the writer Leigh Brackett died from cancer aged 62, besides writing a large part of Star Wars she also did the screenplays for Rio Lobo and El Dorado.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi

On this day 19th March

36 years ago the actor Walter McGrail died aged 81 he was in Men Without Women and Stagecoach.

53 years ago the actor Lee Phelps died aged 59. During his career he mangaed to appear in a staggering 579 pictures among which were The Life of Jimmy Dolan, Flame of the Barbary Coast and Red River.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi

Today I'm going to take a slightly different approach to this topic and apologise to Keith if I trespass into his realm. But on this day is going to look at the careers of two veterans of the screen men who like many of their colleagues appeared throughout the 1930s and 40s in hundreds of films mostly B pictures, mostly annoymous, but without whom the many westerns and dramas made during the 30s and 40s would not have been possible.

On this Day 21 March

115 years ago the actor Jonathan Hale was born. A Canadian by birth Hale had a long film career, appearing in 235 pictures. He was a member of the diplomatic service prior to his film career, and his stately bearing stood him in good stead for the variety of corporate executives, military officers and high-level politicians he often played. His best known and most memorable part was that of Dagwood Bumstead's boss J.C. Dithers in the "Blondie" series, a role he assayed from the first entry (Blondie (1938)) until he left the series in 1946. In 1945 he appeared as Col Wordin in the John Wayne picture Dakota. In1966, despondent over personal problems, he shot himself to death.

44 years ago the actor Blackie Whitford died aged 72 Little is known abut this actor he did however appear in 255 pictures from making his debut in 1928 including working with with John Wayne in Somewhere in Sonara, West of the Divide, Lady From Louisiana, A Man Betrayed, In Old California, The Fghting Kentuckian and his sixth and ultimately final film to end an illustrious career The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi

On this day 23 March

83 years ago the actress Helen Parrish was born. The brother of the actor writer and director Robert Parrish, she appeared in three films with John Wayne The Big Trail Words and Music and In Old California.

89 years ago the actor Kenneth tobey was born. He starred in Whirleybirds and also appeared in Wings of Eagles.

102 years ago the actress Joan Crawford was born she starred in Re-Uninon in France.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi

On this day 24th March

111 years ago the actor Sid Saylor was born. One of the Three esquiteers but not with John Wayne he did appear with Duke in Born to the West.

50 years ago the actor C.E.Anderson died aged 73. Known sometimes as Captain Anderson he played a juror in Reap The Wild Wind.

38 years ago the actor Howard Petrie died aged 61 a minor supporting actor he appeared as the Polo Ground Manager in Trouble Along The Way.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi Arthur

I enjoy reading your posts, that was one from the
    past, "THE WHIRLYBIRDS" I always watched that
    show when I was a Kid.

Best Regards

Emmanuel.

Emmanuel.

I'll try one of those black beers....THE QUIET MAN.