Duke's Missing And Rare Movies

There are 297 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 207,151 times. The latest Post () was by Bravo.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Nothing new yet, as I am working on finding any possible new info on restoring Adventures End. As Elly's post before mine shows, the info received fom Rosemary Hanes (who I know very well) is that Adventures End survives on 35mm nitrate film, which is very fragile. Sometimes you only get one shot at restoring a film on nitrate and not knowing what the condition of the whole film is yet (although I'm told it's in good condition), I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I've written to many distributors and studios looking for someone to take on this restoration or help with the funding and have been getting a few back of some interest. I'm trying to get some sort of ballpark figure on the cost of restoring it and working with the LOC on that end. I hope that this will pay off and we will get this done! I'll keep you all updated with any new info as I get it. The great news is that many of Duke's "lost" films have been located and only considered "lost" that they are not commercially available. They do survive and I am one that is trying to get them restored and available for all to view and enjoy as they were meant to be!

• Nothing new yet, as I am working on finding any possible new info on restoring Adventures End. As Elly's post before mine shows, the info received fom Rosemary Hanes (who I know very well) is that Adventures End survives on 35mm nitrate film, which is very fragile. Sometimes you only get one shot at restoring a film on nitrate and not knowing what the condition of the whole film is yet (although I'm told it's in good condition), I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I've written to many distributors and studios looking for someone to take on this restoration or help with the funding and have been getting a few back of some interest. I'm trying to get some sort of ballpark figure on the cost of restoring it and working with the LOC on that end. I hope that this will pay off and we will get this done! I'll keep you all updated with any new info as I get it. The great news is that many of Duke's "lost" films have been located and only considered "lost" that they are not commercially available. They do survive and I am one that is trying to get them restored and available for all to view and enjoy as they were meant to be!

Thank you for this update, please let us know.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Great job Duke! Thanks for all your research! Now my question is: COST! Is this somthing we as a group, ( dukewayne.com ) could help make possible? Pass the hat so to speak? I'd throw in a few coins! What do you think Keith? Bill

• Great job Duke! Thanks for all your research! Now my question is: COST! Is this somthing we as a group, ( dukewayne.com ) could help make possible? Pass the hat so to speak? I'd throw in a few coins! What do you think Keith? Bill

Bill,
    anything is worth a try.
    You can start a thread if you want, however you will need to know
    who to contact regarding the rights and issue of this movie,
    as from experience folks will not part with money,
    unless there is a safe and trusted result

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Hey guys, ethan (Keith) is right. I wouldn't start a thread yet until more info and rights are hammered out. I'm in the process of doing all that. Yes we can help! I think I mentioned this once before that the first Three Stooges film "Soup To Nuts" was fully restored and funded by a Three Stooges fan club, so it can be done. I'm still getting info together on what the cost will be and will pass it on as soon as I can. There is a safety stock version of Adventures End so the cost might be less than if it was only on nitrate stock. I will keep you informed everytime there is new info.

• YES! This is what i meant! If the three stooges fan club can fund one of their movies, why can't we do the same! Especially with our Big membership! Thank the good Lord we have the " DUKE " in charge of this project! I don't have the time to be a chief, but i'll gladly be an indian! Bill

• Just my two cents here, but Adventure's End is not a "lost film". It may not be readily available, but since it does exist, I don't think it can be considered a "lost film." Just to solidify this in my own mind, I sent an email to the LOC regarding the existence of Adventure's End, and this is the reply I received:

I am encouraged by what the librarian says: "a reference copy can be made available for on-site viewing only." This tells me that it is possible to actually watch this film, if you happen to be at the LOC. And apparently it is conceivable that Universal (who holds the copyright) could grant permission to allow duplication and distribution of Adventure's End. I guess now we just have to convince them to do it!

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them" It may be time worn, but it's the best life-creed I know.

• Just my two cents here, but Adventure's End is not a "lost film". It may not be readily available, but since it does exist, I don't think it can be considered a "lost film." Just to solidify this in my own mind, I sent an email to the LOC regarding the existence of Adventure's End, and this is the reply I received:

I am encouraged by what the librarian says: "a reference copy can be made available for on-site viewing only." This tells me that it is possible to actually watch this film, if you happen to be at the LOC. And apparently it is conceivable that Universal (who holds the copyright) could grant permission to allow duplication and distribution of Adventure's End. I guess now we just have to convince them to do it!

Thanks for this Bob,
    our entry in
    Duke's Missing and Rare Movies
    is this

1937. ADVENTURES END- (Universal) *** LOC

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Thanks for this Bob,
    our entry in
    Duke's Missing and Rare Movies
    is this

1937. ADVENTURES END- (Universal) *** LOC

Sorry Keith, see what happens when I don't pay attention!

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them" It may be time worn, but it's the best life-creed I know.

• Howdy partners! Been real busy but wanted to give an update along with some info with Colorado Bob's posts. I have been in contact with Universal about the rights to Adventures End and am trying to convince them on getting Adventures End out to the public where it belongs. I've also been in contact with a few production houses on costs for restoring and it all falls into the catagory of the film's condition, which I'm told is rather good (that's great news!) As for the on site viewing of the film at LOC, you have to prove you are doing research of some kind for an article, film study, etc. to be granted permission to see the film. They don't allow anybody to just walk in off the street to come in and watch films (I tried and that's how I became entrenched at the LOC!) As soon as I can get some of the loose ends tied down and have some concrete numbers for restoration of the film, I'll let you cowpokes know. I also suggest that everybody email Universal and let it be known that you also want them to work towards getting Adventures End out in the public as I have told them numerous times that films were made for the public to view and not be in some vault collecting dust and wasting away!

• Well I finally received a phone call back from the people at Universal Pictures and they do not own the rights to Adventure's End. So now I'm on the quest to find out who does own the rights or (this would be great) it is public domain (not a great chance) I will be back in touch when new information is found and will keep you informed as this WILL get done!

• I will be down at the US Copyright offices tomorrow researching to find out who holds the copyright to Adventure's End and hopefully will have some great news soon!

• Well I finally received a phone call back from the people at Universal Pictures and they do not own the rights to Adventure's End. So now I'm on the quest to find out who does own the rights or (this would be great) it is public domain (not a great chance) I will be back in touch when new information is found and will keep you informed as this WILL get done!

I am surprised Universal would say they do not own the copyright to Adventure's End.

Universal Pictures Co., Inc. renewed the film's copyright on September 21, 1965 (renewal number R368573), about two months before the initial 28-year expiration.

It could be that the person at Universal who phoned you is simply wrong, or legal claim to the film was subsequently sold outright to another entity (e.g. a television distributor).

• Has anyone heard any new info on the possibility of getting Adventure's End out on DVD?

• Adventure's End seems to have disappeared from circulation in 1953 when it was last reissued.

I found it interesting that NBC Universal took down California Straight Ahead from YouTube due to copyright violation. Someone had made available the entire film.

It proves that Universal still retains ownership of the six-film series, and cares enough for a cease and desist order.

This means, however unlikely, anyone releasing Adventure's End on DVD other than Universal would have legal problems.

• I am surprised Universal would say they do not own the copyright to Adventure's End.

Universal Pictures Co., Inc. renewed the film's copyright on September 21, 1965 (renewal number R368573), about two months before the initial 28-year expiration.

It could be that the person at Universal who phoned you is simply wrong, or legal claim to the film was subsequently sold outright to another entity (e.g. a television distributor).

As Bob got this email as the Universal contact from LOC

Email: [email protected]

I think we should ALL email this guy and quote Neil above and ask when it will be released on DVD using LOC reference copy. Who knows if enough people nag him he may just do something if only to stop the email coming!

My granny always said "Shy bairns get nowt"

So this is the email I just sent

Hello Mr Lubliner

Please can you advise when Adventure's end 1937 starring JOHN WAYNE will be released onto DVD. I am asking on behalf of myself and the thousands of other JW fans who would love to buy this and indeed see it. One of the few remaining JW films not released.

I have this information from Library of Congress who hold a reference copy and below that information from US Copyright Offices stating that Universal renewed the copyright.

I look forward to hearing from you soon and thank you in advance for your assistance.

kind regards

Elly Reid

INFORMATION FROM LIBRARY OF CONGRESS

We have the following 35mm element for ADVENTURE'S END (1937) in our collection:

ADVENTURE'S END (1937)
    MAVIS: 1669
    LC CALL NUMBER: FPD 1576-1582 (composite master positive)
    COLLECTION: AFI/UNIVERSAL PICTURES COLLECTION

At this time we do not have a viewable print of the film, but a reference copy can be made available for on-site viewing only.

Duplication of ADVENTURE'S END required written permission from Universal Pictures:

Universal Studios Media Licensing
    100 Universal City Plaza, 1440/15
    Universal City, CA 91608 USA
    Email: [email protected]
    Phone: (818) 777-1273
    Fax: (818) 866-2399
    Web site: <https://www.universalclips.com/Search.aspx#>

I hope this information is helpful.

Sincerely,

Josie Walters-Johnston
    Reference Librarian
    Moving Image Section
    Library of Congress
    [email protected]

INFORMATION FROM US COPYRIGHT OFFICES

Universal Pictures Co., Inc. renewed the film's ( Adventure's end 1937) copyright on September 21, 1965 (renewal number R368573), about two months before the initial 28-year expiration.

Be who you are & say what you feel Because those who mind dont matter & those who matter dont mind

• Great Idea Elly! I'll be sending him a note for sure! I always liked the saying: The squeaky wheel gets the oil!