Pinned Duke's Missing And Rare Movies

    This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

    Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.
       

    There are 296 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by lvellek.

    • Re: Duke's Missing And Rare Movies

      Nothing new yet, as I am working on finding any possible new info on restoring Adventures End. As Elly's post before mine shows, the info received fom Rosemary Hanes (who I know very well) is that Adventures End survives on 35mm nitrate film, which is very fragile. Sometimes you only get one shot at restoring a film on nitrate and not knowing what the condition of the whole film is yet (although I'm told it's in good condition), I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I've written to many distributors and studios looking for someone to take on this restoration or help with the funding and have been getting a few back of some interest. I'm trying to get some sort of ballpark figure on the cost of restoring it and working with the LOC on that end. I hope that this will pay off and we will get this done! I'll keep you all updated with any new info as I get it. The great news is that many of Duke's "lost" films have been located and only considered "lost" that they are not commercially available. They do survive and I am one that is trying to get them restored and available for all to view and enjoy as they were meant to be!

      The post was edited 1 time, last by The Duke Is The Man ().

    • Re: Duke's Missing And Rare Movies

      The Duke Is The Man wrote:

      Nothing new yet, as I am working on finding any possible new info on restoring Adventures End. As Elly's post before mine shows, the info received fom Rosemary Hanes (who I know very well) is that Adventures End survives on 35mm nitrate film, which is very fragile. Sometimes you only get one shot at restoring a film on nitrate and not knowing what the condition of the whole film is yet (although I'm told it's in good condition), I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I've written to many distributors and studios looking for someone to take on this restoration or help with the funding and have been getting a few back of some interest. I'm trying to get some sort of ballpark figure on the cost of restoring it and working with the LOC on that end. I hope that this will pay off and we will get this done! I'll keep you all updated with any new info as I get it. The great news is that many of Duke's "lost" films have been located and only considered "lost" that they are not commercially available. They do survive and I am one that is trying to get them restored and available for all to view and enjoy as they were meant to be!

      Thank you for this update, please let us know.
      Best Wishes
      Keith
      London- England
    • Re: Duke's Missing And Rare Movies

      Great job Duke! Thanks for all your research! Now my question is: COST! Is this somthing we as a group, ( dukewayne.com ) could help make possible? Pass the hat so to speak? I'd throw in a few coins! What do you think Keith? Bill
    • Re: Duke's Missing And Rare Movies

      wtrayah wrote:

      Great job Duke! Thanks for all your research! Now my question is: COST! Is this somthing we as a group, ( dukewayne.com ) could help make possible? Pass the hat so to speak? I'd throw in a few coins! What do you think Keith? Bill

      Bill,
      anything is worth a try.
      You can start a thread if you want, however you will need to know
      who to contact regarding the rights and issue of this movie,
      as from experience folks will not part with money,
      unless there is a safe and trusted result
      Best Wishes
      Keith
      London- England
    • Re: Duke's Missing And Rare Movies

      Hey guys, ethan (Keith) is right. I wouldn't start a thread yet until more info and rights are hammered out. I'm in the process of doing all that. Yes we can help! I think I mentioned this once before that the first Three Stooges film "Soup To Nuts" was fully restored and funded by a Three Stooges fan club, so it can be done. I'm still getting info together on what the cost will be and will pass it on as soon as I can. There is a safety stock version of Adventures End so the cost might be less than if it was only on nitrate stock. I will keep you informed everytime there is new info.
    • Re: Duke's Missing And Rare Movies

      YES! This is what i meant! If the three stooges fan club can fund one of their movies, why can't we do the same! Especially with our Big membership! Thank the good Lord we have the " DUKE " in charge of this project! I don't have the time to be a chief, but i'll gladly be an indian! Bill
    • Re: Adventure's End (1937)

      Just my two cents here, but Adventure's End is not a "lost film". It may not be readily available, but since it does exist, I don't think it can be considered a "lost film." Just to solidify this in my own mind, I sent an email to the LOC regarding the existence of Adventure's End, and this is the reply I received:

      Mr. Tuttle,

      We have the following 35mm element for ADVENTURE'S END (1937) in our collection:

      ADVENTURE'S END (1937)
      MAVIS: 1669
      LC CALL NUMBER: FPD 1576-1582 (composite master positive)
      COLLECTION: AFI/UNIVERSAL PICTURES COLLECTION

      At this time we do not have a viewable print of the film, but a reference copy can be made available for on-site viewing only.

      Duplication of ADVENTURE'S END required written permission from Universal Pictures:

      Universal Studios Media Licensing
      100 Universal City Plaza, 1440/15
      Universal City, CA 91608 USA
      Contact: Roni Lubliner
      Email: [email protected]
      Phone: (818) 777-1273
      Fax: (818) 866-2399
      Web site: <https://www.universalclips.com/Search.aspx#>

      I hope this information is helpful.

      Sincerely,

      Josie Walters-Johnston
      Reference Librarian
      Moving Image Section
      Library of Congress
      [email protected]


      I am encouraged by what the librarian says: "a reference copy can be made available for on-site viewing only." This tells me that it is possible to actually watch this film, if you happen to be at the LOC. And apparently it is conceivable that Universal (who holds the copyright) could grant permission to allow duplication and distribution of Adventure's End. I guess now we just have to convince them to do it!
      "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them" It may be time worn, but it's the best life-creed I know.
    • Re: Adventure's End (1937)

      Colorado Bob wrote:

      Just my two cents here, but Adventure's End is not a "lost film". It may not be readily available, but since it does exist, I don't think it can be considered a "lost film." Just to solidify this in my own mind, I sent an email to the LOC regarding the existence of Adventure's End, and this is the reply I received:



      I am encouraged by what the librarian says: "a reference copy can be made available for on-site viewing only." This tells me that it is possible to actually watch this film, if you happen to be at the LOC. And apparently it is conceivable that Universal (who holds the copyright) could grant permission to allow duplication and distribution of Adventure's End. I guess now we just have to convince them to do it!

      Thanks for this Bob,
      our entry in
      Duke's Missing and Rare Movies
      is this

      1937. ADVENTURES END- (Universal) *** LOC
      Best Wishes
      Keith
      London- England
    • Re: Adventure's End (1937)

      ethanedwards wrote:

      Thanks for this Bob,
      our entry in
      Duke's Missing and Rare Movies
      is this

      1937. ADVENTURES END- (Universal) *** LOC

      Sorry Keith, see what happens when I don't pay attention!
      "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them" It may be time worn, but it's the best life-creed I know.
    • Re: Duke's Missing And Rare Movies

      Howdy partners! Been real busy but wanted to give an update along with some info with Colorado Bob's posts. I have been in contact with Universal about the rights to Adventures End and am trying to convince them on getting Adventures End out to the public where it belongs. I've also been in contact with a few production houses on costs for restoring and it all falls into the catagory of the film's condition, which I'm told is rather good (that's great news!) As for the on site viewing of the film at LOC, you have to prove you are doing research of some kind for an article, film study, etc. to be granted permission to see the film. They don't allow anybody to just walk in off the street to come in and watch films (I tried and that's how I became entrenched at the LOC!) As soon as I can get some of the loose ends tied down and have some concrete numbers for restoration of the film, I'll let you cowpokes know. I also suggest that everybody email Universal and let it be known that you also want them to work towards getting Adventures End out in the public as I have told them numerous times that films were made for the public to view and not be in some vault collecting dust and wasting away!
    • Re: Duke's Missing And Rare Movies

      Well I finally received a phone call back from the people at Universal Pictures and they do not own the rights to Adventure's End. So now I'm on the quest to find out who does own the rights or (this would be great) it is public domain (not a great chance) I will be back in touch when new information is found and will keep you informed as this WILL get done!