Duke's Missing And Rare Movies

There are 297 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 207,932 times. The latest Post () was by Bravo.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Good comprehensive list Keith. It is unlikely that any of the pre 1930 material is about or likely to become available.

When you consider that 50% of ALL the film output before 1950 has already been lost we should be grateful that so much of John Wayne's output is still available.

Mike

• The Missing or Rare Movies, still seems to centre around this list,
    so just to refresh our memories again,here it is:-

Please make any comments, and if these movies are available,
    let us know, and we can then narrow the list down,
    to what's really 'missing'

Hello Keith Arthur and all other interested parties:teeth_smile:

I meant to post this last night but as it has been a long while since I did any research I went round my pals again to see if there was anything new. I am awaiting a couple of replies so this is what I know for SURE is missing or unavailable. I can say this with certainty because EVERYTHING else on the filmography posted elsewhere on this site I have a copy of in my collection.

I know I have said that I was looking for other films not on the list posted below (eg Maker of men) but I asked because the copy I have is poor and I was looking for a better copy. Really I am looking for 19 complete movies and 2 part movies. (ignoring the Ham Hamilton shorts only recently brought to light!)

I am hoping to have the list of my complete collection tidied up for posting here later this week.

kind regards

Elly

1926 Bardelys the magnificent No Complete print known to exist. Approx 30 minutes survives. I have the JW clip and the trailer

1928 Mother Machree No complete print known to exist (two reels missing) I have an incomplete copy of about 30 mins

1927 Annie Laurie Restored print in Library of Congress

1929 Forward Pass, the No print known to exist Considered LOST

1929 Speakeasy No print known to exist Considered LOST

1929 Strong Boy No print known to exist Considered LOST

1929 Words and Music No print known to exist Considered LOST

1930 Cheer up and Smile Preserved copy in UCLA

1930 Lone Star Ranger, the Print in UCLA

1931 Deceiver, the ** Print is known to exist

1931 Girls Demand Excitement Print in UCLA

1931Three Girls Lost Print in UCLA

1932 Hollywood Handicap, the 20 minute short (survival status unknown)

1932 Running Hollywood 20 minute short (survival status unknown)

1932 That’s my Boy ** Print is known to exist

1932 Voice of Hollywood no 13, The 12 minute short (survival status unknown)

1933 Sweetheart of Sigma Chi ** Print is known to exist

1936 Oregon Trail, the No print known to exist Considered LOST

1937 Adventure’s End ***Considered LOST

1940 Meet the stars Cowboy Jubilee 10 minute short (survival status unknown)

1941 Meet the stars # 8: Stars Past and Present 9 minute short, Print in UCLA

NB: NOT including Ham Hamilton shorts which need more research.

** I cannot yet establish where this print exists, but definitely not available from any dealers or traders

*** I heard a rumour recently that a private collector in Canada may have a print but will not even loan it to AFI. I am trying to get confirmation of this.

Main sources of information

AFI: the American Film Institute

BFI: British Film Institute

http://www.blsinc.com/rarefilms.htm Sidney P Bloomberg (He has a lot of these on his own want list!)

http://www.vitaphone.org/fox.html

http://www.classicmovies.org Brad Lang

http://www.vanc.igs.net/~roughley/john_wayne_dvd_filmography.html Neil Roughley a very knowledgable guy

http://www.rarevideo.com/

http://www.silentera.com/

http://catalogcin.library.ucla…n.cgi?DB=local&PAGE=First (UCLA Film and TV archive)

Fred Landesman's John Wayne Filmography, the

Be who you are & say what you feel Because those who mind dont matter & those who matter dont mind

• Hi Keith

I will put some note re some of these films into one post for each of them.

Starting with this one

Elly

Hollywood Handicap
    Thalians Club / Universal (1932)

During his time at the MGM studio, Buster Keaton directed three shorts, all of them produced by Louis Lewyn, whose specialty was combining newsreel footage with musical numbers (he was also married to Marion Mack, Keaton's co-star in The General). This one-reeler is typical of Lewyn's work, and a woeful comedown for Keaton. The Original Sing Band star as a group of stable boys who are working for a colonel. The Colonel owns a line of racehorses, but he winds up auctioning them all off, except for Susie Q, who he gives to the stable boys. The boys raise the fee to enter Susie Q in the Hollywood Handicap. The race is well-attended by movie stars (basically newsreel footage of Mickey Rooney, Oliver Hardy, Dorothy Lamour, John Wayne, Bing Crosby, and a host of others). When their horse falls behind, the stable boys start singing to encourage her to go faster. Instead, the horse starts dancing and she still loses the race. Luckily for the stable boys, a talent scout has seen Susie Q's performance and wants to use her in a circus film. 20 minutes

Be who you are & say what you feel Because those who mind dont matter & those who matter dont mind

• More information re above

Elly

Cowboy Jubilee, Screen Snapshots Series 19, No. 8:
    Director: Harriet Parsons
    Writer: Ralph Staub
    Release Date: 7 June 1940 (USA)
    10 minute short also featuring the Meglin Kiddies, Gene Autry and Roy Rogers.

Meet the Stars #8: Stars Past and Present (1941)
    Director: Harriet Parsons
    Release Date: 24 July 1941 (USA)
    Run time: 9 minutes
    Plot Summary: Stars past and present gather to take part in the ceremonies at the dedication of Republic's new sound stage to the memory of Mabel Normand.

Cast
    Harriet Parsons Narrator
    Walter Abel Himself
    Gene Autry Himself
    Richard Bennett Himself
    Jack Buetel Himself
    Smiley Burnette Himself
    Judy Canova Herself
    Chester Conklin Himself
    William Farnum Himself
    Louise Fazenda Herself
    George 'Gabby' Hayes Himself
    Brenda Joyce Herself
    Mary Lee Herself
    Mary Martin Herself
    Ilona Massey Herself
    Ann Miller Herself
    Patricia Morison Herself
    Jack Mulhall Himself
    Charles Murray Himself
    Mabel Normand Herself (archive footage)
    William T. Orr Himself
    Eddie Quillan Himself
    Charles Ray Himself
    Cesar Romero Himself
    Jane Russell Herself
    Mack Sennett Himself
    John Wayne Himself

Running Hollywood
    Thalians Club / Universal (1932)

Director: Charles Lamont
    Plot: Comedy
    Cast: Charles 'Buddy' Rogers, Arthur Lake, John Wayne, Sessue Hayakawa, Louise Fazenda
    Charles Murray (as Charlie Murray), George Sidney, Noah Beery, Vivien Oakland, Leo Carrillo
    Gertrude Astor, Ralph Ince, 'Little Billy' Rhodes, (as Little Billy), Mary Carr, Claude Gillingwater
    Sally Blane, Benny Rubin, Virginia Sale 20 minutes

The voice of Hollywood no 13
    Tiffany Productions (1932)
    A fictional radio station, Station S*T*A*R, provides an excuse for a parade of novelty and variety acts by stars big and small. 12 minutes. John Wayne was announcer.

• BARDELYS THE MAGNIFICENT.

1926. Directed by King Vidor.

John Gilbert, Eleanor Boardman, Roy D'Arcy, Lionel Belmore, Emily Fitzroy, George K. Arthur, Arthur Lubin, Theodore von Eltz, Karl Dane, Edward Connelly, Fred Malatesta, John T. Murray, Joe Smith Marba, Daniel G. Tomlinson, Emile Chautard, John Wayne (as a Guard).

• Mother Machree
    (1928) American
    B&W : Seven reels
    Directed by John Ford

Cast: Belle Bennett [Ellen McHugh], Neil Hamilton [Brian McHugh/Brian van Studdiford], Philippe de Lacy [Brian McHugh, as child], Pat Somerset [Robert De Puyster], Victor McLaglen [Terence O'Dowd], Ted McNamara [Harpist of Wexford], John MacSweeney [Irish priest], Eulalie Jensen [Rachel van Studdiford], Constance Howard [Edith Cutting], Ethel Clayton [Mrs. Cutting], William Platt [Pips], Jacques Rollens [Signor Bellini], Rodney Hildebrand [Brian McHugh Sr.], Joyce Wirard [Edith Cutting, as child], Robert Parrish [child], John Wayne

Fox Film Corporation production; distributed by Fox Film Corporation. / Scenario by Gertrude Orr, from the novel Mother Machree by Rita Johnson Young. Cinematography by Chester Lyons. Intertitles by Katharine Hilliker and H.H. Caldwell. Edited by Katharine Hilliker and H.H. Caldwell. Music score by S.L. Rothafel and Erno Rapee. / Premiere at the Globe Theatre in New York, New York on March 5, 1928. / Standard 35mm spherical 1.37:1 format. Western Electric Movietone sound-on-film sound system. / The film was originally shot in September 1926. John Wayne's appearance is unbilled. / Silent film, with synchronized music and sound effects. Fragmentary print exists (reels one, two and five) in the Library of Congress film archive; reels three and four are presumed lost.

• Annie Laurie (www.silentera.com)
    (1927) American
    C/B&W : Nine reels / 2661 metres
    Directed by John S. Robertson

Cast: Lillian Gish [Annie Laurie], Norman Kerry [Ian MacDonald], Creighton Hale [Donald], Joseph Striker [Alastair], Hobart Bosworth [MacDonald chieftain], Patricia Avery [Enid], Russell Simpson [Sandy], Brandon Hurst [Campbell chieftain], David Torrence [Sir Robert Laurie], Frank Currier [Cameron of Lochiel], Richard Alexander [MacDonald clan member], Mary Gordon [first midwife], Margaret Mann [second midwife], Henry Kolker [King’s representative], Major Roup, [?] John Wayne?
    Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Pictures Corporation production; distributed by Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Distributing Corporation. / Scenario by Josephine Lovett, from a story by Josephine Lovett. Art direction by Cedric Gibbons and Merrill Pye. Costume design by André-ani. Cinematography by Oliver T. Marsh. Intertitles by Marian Ainslee and Ruth Cummings. Edited by William Hamilton. / Released 11 May 1927. / Standard 35mm spherical 1.37:1 format. Technicolor two-strip color process sequence. / Gish’s third MGM film. The film was rediscovered in 1987 when a private collector donated a print to the Oregon Historical Society who then turned it over to a national archive for preservation. Technicolor appears in the final reel. / Silent film.

• The Forward Pass
    (1929) American
    B&W : Eight reels
    Directed by Eddie Cline

Cast: Douglas Fairbanks Jr., Loretta Young, Guinn "Big Boy" Williams, Marion Byron, Phyllis Crane, Bert Rome, Lane Chandler, Allan Lane, Floyd Shackleford, the University of Southern California football team

Distributed by First National Pictures, Incorporated. / Scenario by Howard Emmett Rogers, from a story by Harvey Gates. / Standard 35mm spherical 1.37:1 format. Western Electric Vitaphone sound-on-disk sound system. / The film was also released in a silent version. / Full-sound film.

• Speakeasy

Directed by Benjamin Stoloff
    Written by Frederick Hazlitt Brennan, Edwin J. Burke
    Starring Lola Lane, Paul Page
    Release date(s) 1929
    Running time 62 min.
    Country United States
    Language English

Speakeasy was a 1929 sports filmdrama directed by Benjamin Stoloff adapted by Frederick Hazlitt Brennan and Edwin J. Burke. Lola Lane and Paul Page played the lead roles and the film also starred John Wayne who had a minor role in the film at age 22.
    Cast
    Lola Lane as Alice Woods
    Paul Page as Paul Martin
    Sharon Lynn as Mazie
    Warren Hymer as Cannon Delmont
    Helen Ware as Min
    Henry B. Walthall as Piano player
    Stuart Erwin as Cy Williams
    James Guilfoyle as Davey
    Erville Alderson as City Editor
    Joseph Cawthorn as Yokel
    Ivan Linow as Wrestler
    Marjorie Beebe as Speakeasy Patron
    Sailor Vincent as Speakeasy Patron
    Helen Lynch as Speakeasy Patron
    John Wayne

Much of this drama is comprised of newsreel footage. It chronicles the exploits of a luckless college prize-fighter attempting to go professional. Unfortunately he is exploited by his dishonest manager. The innocent pugilist is eventually befriended and assisted by a pretty reporter who helps free him from his wicked
    manager. During the big fight, the fighter takes a real lickin' when he discovers that the reporter has not come to the fight. This is a very early talkie.

• www.silentera.com
    Strong Boy
    (1929) American
    B&W : Feature film
    Directed by
    John Ford

Cast: Victor McLaglen [William ‘Strong Boy’ Bloss], Leatrice Joy [Mary McGregor], Clyde Cook [Pete], Slim Summerville [Slim], Kent Sanderson [Wilbur Watkins], Tom Wilson [baggage master], Jack Pennick [baggageman], Eulalie Jensen [the queen], David Torrence [railroad president], J. Farrell MacDonald [Angus McGregor], Dolores Johnson [usherette], Douglas Scott [Wobby], Robert Ryan [porter]
    Fox Film Corporation production; distributed by Fox Film Corporaton. / Scenario by James Kevin McGuiness, Andrew Bennison and John McLain, from a story by Frederick Hazlett Brennan. Cinematography by Joseph H. August. Intertitles by Malcolm Stuart Boylan. Presented by William Fox. / Standard 35mm spherical 1.37:1 format. / Silent film.

Survival Status: The film is presumed lost (a print may exist in Australia).

In this comedy drama, an enormous baggage handler earns the reputation of being an all-'round good joe and soon gets promoted. He is in love with Joy, a pretty newsstand girl. Despite his good work, which includes stopping a train robbery, she realizes that her lovable lug will never rise to become the white-collar worker he aspires to become. ~ Sandra Brennan, All Movie Guide

Summary:
    Strong Boy, a baggage handler in a railroad station, saves the child of a railroad vice president from being crushed by a trunk and is promoted to the head of the lost-and-found department. Mary McGregor, his sweetheart, becomes disgusted and walks out on him. Strong Boy later returns a pearl necklace to a movie star and is again promoted, this time to the position of fireman on the locomotive of which Mary's father is the engineer. Strong Boy prevents a holdup and is forgiven by Mary, whom he marries. AFI

• Words and Music
    1929 - William Fox Studio

Main Cast: Lois Moran, David Percy, Helen Twelvetrees, William Orlamond. Directed by James Tingling.
    This was Duke's first movie in which he was given billing, and his last known silent movie. He was billed as Duke Morrison, and played Pete Donahue. It was also his first movie with Ward Bond, who became his best friend. The movie, a college musical, was first released as a silent film, and later with sound.
    WORDS AND MUSIC

Fox Film Corp., 1929. Directed by James Tinling. Camera: Charles Clarke. With Lois Moran, David Percy, Helen Twelvetrees, William Orlamond, Elizabeth Patterson, Duke Morrison, Ward Bond, Richard Keene, Frank Albertson, Muriel Gardner, Bobby Renee, Wilma Wray.

Fraternity brothers Phil Denning and Pete Donahue are competing to have campus sweetheart Mary Brown lead their musical numbers in the college's annual revue. Phil wins out, but Mary gets involved in a practical joke directed toward the straitlaced dean of women and is about to be exposed by Dorothy Blake, who sets as the price of her silence the leading part in Tom's number.
    A good sport, Mary joins Pete's skit and helps make it a success. Then, when she hears about Dorothy's ruse, Mary boldly confesses to Dean Crockett that she is responsible for the practical joke, replaces Dorothy in Phil's number, and wins the contest for him. AFI

• Cheer up and Smile 1930

A pre-Dagwood Arthur Lake plays a hapless hayseed who becomes a popular crooner in this fluffy musical comedy that begins during the robbery of a big-city radio station. There the gunman forces him to sing on the air. The audience loves him and he is an instant star. Delighted with his sudden success, the bumpkin sends for his beloved pumpkin back home so they can marry. The young singer's boss, afraid that married life will steal away his new-found gravy train, tries his darnedest to break the young lovers up and even convinces a seductress to ruin the youth. Look closely for John Wayne in a bit part. Songs include: "The Shindig," "Where Can You Be?" and "You May Not Like It But It's A Great Idea." ~ Sandra Brennan, All Movie Guide

Cast
    Dixie Lee
    Margie
    Arthur Lake
    Eddie Fripp
    Olga Baclanova
    Yvonne
    Charles Judels
    Pierre
    Whispering Jack Smith
    Himself
    Johnny Arthur
    Andy
    John Darrow
    Tom
    Sumner Getchell
    Paul
    Buddy Messinger
    Donald
    Franklin Pangborn
    Professor
    Jack Smith
    Himself
    John Wayne

Crew
    Sidney Lanfield
    Director
    Howard J. Green
    Screenwriter
    Joseph A. Valentine
    Cinematographer
    Al Rockett
    Associate Producer
    Ralph Dietrich
    Editor
    Richard Cornell
    Short Story Author
    Jesse Greer
    Songwriter
    Ray Klages
    Songwriter

• The Lone Star Ranger 1930

Director: A.F. Erickson
    Starring: George O'Brien , Sue Carol , Russell Simpson , Warren Hymer

Released: 1930 ( USA )
    Run Time: 64 min.
    Genre: Action, Western

A superior entry in western star George O'Brien's Zane Grey series for Fox Studios. Lensed on location in Utah's Monument Valley (long before it was "adopted" by John Ford), the film was adapted for the screen by Zane Grey from a novel by Max Brand, which had previously done service as a Tom Mix vehicle (and would later be remade by Fox with John Kimbrough in the lead). At the outset of the film, Buck Duane (O'Brien) is an outlaw, but upon rescuing Mary Aldridge (Sue Carol) from a runaway stagecoach, he vows to turn over a new leaf. He takes to ranching, whereupon the governor offers him a pardon -- if he will agree to lasso a gang of cattle rustlers. What no one knows is that the leader of the outlaws is Mary's father Colonel Aldridge (Russell Simpson). There are plenty of well-rehearsed thrills in Lone Star Ranger, but the film's most charming moment is purely spontaneous: upon meeting Sue Carol for the first time, a shirtless George O'Brien instinctively sucks in his stomach! ~ Hal Erickson, All Movie Guide

Prints of the sound and silent versions of this film survives in the UCLA Film and Television Archives.

• The Deceiver
    Crime & Espionage, 1hr 6min

Synopsis
    Most of The Deceiver takes place in the Broadway theater where matinee idol Thorpe (Ian Keith) is starring in a production of Othello. A rat with women, Thorpe has scattered broken female hearts all along the Great White Way, giving lots of people plenty of incentive to murder him. Sure enough, he is murdered, as is another fellow who holds a vital clue as to the identity of the killer. Second-guessing the detectives, hero Tony (Lloyd Hughes) tries to solve the mystery himself, if only to clear heroine Ina (Dorothy Sebastian) of suspicion. The guilty party is tricked into confessing by the cagey Tony. ~ Hal Erickson, All Movie Guide

Cast
    Lloyd Hughes Tony Hill
    Dorothy Sebastian Ina Fontanne
    Ian Keith Reginald Thorpe
    Natalie Moorhead Mrs. Lawton
    Richard Tucker Mr. Lawton
    George Byron Speedy
    Greta Granstedt Celia Adams
    Murray Kinnell Breckenridge
    DeWitt Jennings Insp. Dunn
    Allan Garcia Payne
    Harvey Clark Nat Phillips
    Sidney Bracey Barney
    Nick Copeland Stage manager
    Colin Campbell Dr. Schulz
    John Wayne Richard Thorpe as a corpse

• Girls Demand Excitement 1931

No relation to the 1935 Mascot programmer of the same name, Girls Demand Excitement offers an early starring appearance by John Wayne. The Duke is cast as college basketball player Peter Brooks, who's in love with sports-happy Joan Madison (Virginia Cherrill). Their hot-and-cold relationship culminates in a boys-against-the-girls basketball match, a scene only slightly less ridiculous than an early sequence in which a bunch of sexually integrated psychology students are assigned to test the "emotional reaction" to a group necking session! Evidently designed as a musical, Girls Demand Excitement contains no songs whatsoever, robbing future generations of the spectacle of John Wayne serenading his lady love. With films like these, it's no wonder that Wayne had to start his career all over again in cheap westerns. ~ Hal Erickson, All Movie Guide
    Starring: Virginia Cherrill , John Wayne , Marguerite Churchill , Helen Jerome Eddy , more cast
    Directed By: Seymour Felix
    Released By: Unknown
    Run Time: 64 min.
    Genre: Comedy

• Three Girls Lost
    Drama, 1hr 12min
    Synopsis
    Even before the Fox Studios merged with 20th Century Productions in 1935, the company was dedicated to the proposition that three leading ladies were better than one. The "Three Girls Lost" of the title are played by Loretta Young, Joyce Compton and Joan Marsh. Lovely Loretta and wisecracking Joyce do all right by themselves when they leave their home town for wicked old Chicago. Alas, Joan falls in with thieves and sharpsters, forcing the other two girls to help her out. Of particular interest is the presence in the cast of 24-year-old John Wayne, amusingly miscast as a well-groomed socialite. ~ Hal Erickson, All Movie Guide

Cast
    Loretta Young Noreen McMann
    John Wayne Gordon Wales
    Lew Cody William Marriott
    Joyce Compton Edna Best
    Joan Marsh Marcia Tallant
    Kathrin Clare Ward Mrs. McGree
    Paul Fix Tony

• That’s my boy 1932
    1hr 11min
    Synopsis
    A young football hero learns valuable life lessons on the way to becoming a pro in this sports drama. Tommy is a promising player who is working his way through college. He quickly becomes a star on the campus grid-iron, but when he gets entangled in a stock swindle, he nearly destroys his budding career. Fortunately, Tommy smartens up and pays back all of the money he gained when he inadvertently cheated some innocent investors. The USC national championship football team of 1931 appears in the film. ~ Sandra Brennan, All Movie Guide

Cast
    Richard Cromwell Tommy
    Dorothy Jordan Dorothy
    Arthur Stone Pop
    Douglas Dumbrille Adams
    Lucien Littlefield Uncle Louie
    Russell Saunders Pinkie
    Sumner Getchell Carl
    Otis Harlan Mayor
    Dutch Hendrian Hap
    Douglas Haig Tommy as a Boy
    Leon Ames Al Williams
    Joan Marsh
    John Wayne

• Sweetheart of Sigma Chi 1933

A college movie that concentrates on the romances between the coeds and the fraternity guys. Carlisle plays the hard-to-get, though very flirtatious, girl who succumbs to the embraces of Crabbe, fraternity rowing star. Starrett also makes a pretty good bid for Carlisle's affections. Pleasant and unpretentious, with a few witty bits of humor added for flavor. Songs include: "Fraternity Walk," "It's Spring Again" (George Waggner, Ed Ward), "Five Minutes More" (Jule Styne, Sammy Cahn), "Sweetheart of Sigma Chi" (Byron D. Stokes, F. Dudleigh Vernor).

Year: 1933
    Rated NR
    Parental Rating: Acceptable for children
    TV Guide Rating:
    Country of Origin: U.S.
    Genre: Musical
    Format: Black & White
    Production Co(s).: Monogram
    Running Time: 77
    British Title: GIRL OF MY DREAMS

CAST

Mary Carlisle: Vivian
    Buster Crabbe: Bob North
    Charles Starrett: Morley
    Florence Lake: Dizzy
    Eddie Tamblyn: Coxswain
    Sally Starr: Madge
    Mary Blackford: Bunny
    Tom Dugan: Trainer
    Burr McIntosh: Professor
    Major Goodsell: Coach
    Grady Sutton: Pledge
    Purnell Pratt: Doctor
    Franklin Parker: House Prexy
    Ted Fio Rito and His Orchestra: Their Self
    Leif Erickson: Their Self
    Betty Grable: Their Self
    Bill Carey: Their Self
    Muzzy Marcellino: Their Self
    The Three Midshipmen: Their Self
    The Blue Keys: Their Self

• The Oregon trail 1936

U. S. Army Captain John Delmont takes a leave of absence to find out what happened to his missing father. Later he leads a wagon train to California and goes after the bad guys involved in his father's disappearance.

Directed byScott Pembroke

Cast

John Wayne Capt John Delmont
    Ann Rutherford Anne Ridgeley
    Joseph W. Girard Col. Delmont (as Joe Girard)
    Yakima Canutt Tom Richards
    Frank Rice Red
    E.H. Calvert Jim Ridgeley

Etc…