Duke's Missing And Rare Movies

There are 297 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 205,426 times. The latest Post () was by Bravo.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Awhile back someone said that the marx bros. fan club was able to get the movie they wanted. If that was true, ( Soup to nuts ) then where
    there's a will, there's a way. I doubt that there are more of those fans then there are J.W. fans! Maybe we should talk to someone from their
    fan base and see how they did it? Maybe they were a little lucky. Maybe they had reasonable people to work with!

That was I that posted the info. It was actually the Three Stooges first feature film "Soup To Nuts" that was brought back to life after disappearing for years by the Three Stooges fan club. The difference is the studios involved. For some reason NBC Universal doesn't want Adventure's End or the other three John Wayne did between 1936-1937 for them to see the light of day. Not sure if it's the product, a deal made years ago by Trem Carr, Arthur Lubin or even John Wayne for them to just disappear and not reappear. I have spoken to the fan club and am trying to undo whatever deal was made so that we can see Adventure's End again. I own the other three (I Cover The War, Conflict & California Straight Ahead) and would like for all to own Adventure's End!

• Wow, I have just read through this entire thread. I have to wonder why anyone (person or organization) would want to hold back any copies of any of John Wayne film for any reason. I simply cannot understand why every effort wouldn't be made to get it out to the public. Reading earlier threads about money, surely there would be support to get this done for those films that may be able to be restored. I forget the name right off the bat, but I have recently seen millions raised by fans to make a movie. Maybe that same thing can be done for a John Wayne film.

You are probably thinking about the movie being made of the TV show "Veronica Mars" that raised millions using Kickstarter. Kickstarter is one avenue that I have thought about using, along with all the cowpokes here talking about they haven't had a good fundraiser in a while. I really don't think the money being raised is as much of an issue at this point, it's getting NBC Universal who owns the copyright, to allow it to be restored and released. I have already brought this up to them and it's fallen on deaf ears most of the time. I have received a few emails back with some glitter of hope attached, but not a resounding go ahead with our blessing. A little while back (Elly I believe) posted that we all should flood NBC Universal and Roni Lubliner with emails concerning this. What everybody should do is flood them with emails asking if they would consider helping with the release of Adventure's End if we raised the money for it to be restored, no matter what the condition of the master at LOC!

• You are probably thinking about the movie being made of the TV show "Veronica Mars" that raised millions using Kickstarter. Kickstarter is one avenue that I have thought about using, along with all the cowpokes here talking about they haven't had a good fundraiser in a while. I really don't think the money being raised is as much of an issue at this point, it's getting NBC Universal who owns the copyright, to allow it to be restored and released. I have already brought this up to them and it's fallen on deaf ears most of the time. I have received a few emails back with some glitter of hope attached, but not a resounding go ahead with our blessing. A little while back (Elly I believe) posted that we all should flood NBC Universal and Roni Lubliner with emails concerning this. What everybody should do is flood them with emails asking if they would consider helping with the release of Adventure's End if we raised the money for it to be restored, no matter what the condition of the master at LOC!

Yes, Kickstarter, that's it. I have no idea of how much it would cost to remaster a film, but if a 'Kickstarter' could offset costs and they would make money selling the discs, it seems like a 'no brainer' to me. Why wouldn't they. And even as you say, no matter what the condition of the master is.

• Has there ever been any leads overseas concerning The Oregon Trail? Herd anything on that one Duke?

The Oregon Trail is one of the films that Olive Films has in it's list of re-releases. Thank God that one is finally going to see the light of day again! Can't come soon enough!

• Olive Films canceled The Oregon Trail (Republic, 1936). They acquired the rights but couldn't find the elements, according to a post on another forum.

I did not hear about that Richard-W. That is such a shame and letdown as that is one that I thought I could finally stop looking for. Well I guess it's back to finding The Oregon Trail also! Thanks for the info Richard-W.

• Hey Duke! Maybe that guy in Denmark has a copy of The Oregon Trail? Maybe he knows somebody? Does he claim to have a copy of Adventures End on tape? Disc? Is he willing to negotiate?

• Hey Duke! Maybe that guy in Denmark has a copy of The Oregon Trail? Maybe he knows somebody? Does he claim to have a copy of Adventures End on tape? Disc? Is he willing to negotiate?

I spoke to a person in Denmark that I usually buy hard to find music from (I'm also a big music collector) and he is a big John Wayne fan also. He told me about this collector there who claimed to have many hard to find John Wayne films. I spoke to him through my friend for a couple of minutes and he claimed he had a "copy" of the film Adventure's End. When I asked in what form he just said a "copy" of the film, so I don't know. I'm leaving at the end of next week (after July 4th holiday) and am spending three weeks over there. Now that the news of The Oregon Trail came to us today, I had a lead on a supposed copy of it in Belgium that I stopped pursuing when the news of Olive Films came out. I am stepping up that search again and will hopefully get in touch with that one soon and especially while there. I have found in my travels and searches that many of these "lost" films turn up in Europe and the Eastern Bloc nations (including Russia) because they were distributed there originally when the films came out and then were never sent back and kept there. If they have copies I will come back with a copy somehow!

• Happy Trails in EU Pilgrim!....
    COME BACK AND TELL US SOME GOOD NEWS.....!!
    I FEEL anyone, including me would pay a PREMIUM for a copy of either or both!

God's Speed,

Rob...Tenderfoot (but huge collector!)

• None that I have heard about, Robbie. The thread is a few years old now, si I doubt he found one. Too bad, that would have been awesome.

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• I spoke to a person in Denmark that I usually buy hard to find music from (I'm also a big music collector) and he is a big John Wayne fan also. He told me about this collector there who claimed to have many hard to find John Wayne films. I spoke to him through my friend for a couple of minutes and he claimed he had a "copy" of the film Adventure's End. When I asked in what form he just said a "copy" of the film, so I don't know. I'm leaving at the end of next week (after July 4th holiday) and am spending three weeks over there. Now that the news of The Oregon Trail came to us today, I had a lead on a supposed copy of it in Belgium that I stopped pursuing when the news of Olive Films came out. I am stepping up that search again and will hopefully get in touch with that one soon and especially while there. I have found in my travels and searches that many of these "lost" films turn up in Europe and the Eastern Bloc nations (including Russia) because they were distributed there originally when the films came out and then were never sent back and kept there. If they have copies I will come back with a copy somehow!

Whatever happened? It's been a few years. lol

• Films still considered lost/missing.

Words and Music (1929)
    Speakeasy (1929)
    The Forward Pass (1929)
    The Oregon Trail (1936)

No reference copies available from Library of Congress or UCLA Archives.

LOC

Annie Laurie (1927)
    The Deceiver (1931)
    That's My Boy (1932)
    Adventure's End (1937)

UCLA
    Cheer Up and Smile (1930)
    Three Girls Lost (1931)
    Girls Demand Excitement (1931)

I was able to get Noah's Ark a couple years ago. I've been to the LOC and what they do have is not worth using.