There are 14 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 4,065 times. The latest Post () was by The Ringo Kid.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I just received word from CNN (not my first choice) that Eddie Albert died on May 26, 2005 from Pneumonia. I know that was Duke's birthday. He was 97 years old. Birthday was April 22, 1908.

We talked about him a little in the past, but a sad day from a great American who served in WWII, and worked with Duke in The Longest Day, and McQ.

Just wanted to confirm this from another web site, and of course CNN messed up his age. They said that he was 99.

Cheers B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• That's a shame - he was a fine actor. He did live a very full life, however, and left behind a large body of work.

One more actor from the golden era of Hollywood gone. There aren't too many left, unfortunately.

• Sad day indeed. You know I think of 2 things when I think of Eddie. Green Acres of course. And him playing the warden in one of my most favorite drama/comedy sports films, The Longest Yard. That movies kills me everytime I watch it.

Too bad, but he did live a full life, I hope I make it too that age!!

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• Hi

I agree its sad to read of his passing although our papers haven't picked it up yet, or if they have I haven't seen it.

A year younger than the Duke he made his screen debut recreating his stage role of Bing Edwards in the film of the Broadway play King Rat (1936). In over seventy films he was nominated for two Best Supporting Actor awards and as well as appearing in The Longest Day he also played Captain Ed Costerman in McQ.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• One more thing of note. He was from my home state of Minnesota and from what I understood always maintained his ties to the area here.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• hi all

he was in our news yesterday the 29th they said he was 99 yrs and he kept himself fit up till his last days. sad to see another one go they will all be having a grand time upstairs now

i remember him for green acers

cheers smokey

" its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"

• Yesterday was a terribe day. Rest in Peace Eddie. Some of my fondest memories of you on screen was when you were a Colonel (Brigadier General Cota's (played by Robert Mitchum) Aide) in The Longest Day as well as your performances in The Longest Yard and in an episode of COMBAT called: Doughboy.

Also, another death was the man who was the voice of Tony the Tiger in the Frosted Flakes commercials. Rest in Peace.

Also earlier in the week saw the passing of a fine American actor of Japanese descent. I don't recall his name but he was the short guy in the Van Johnson movie: Go For Broke. Rest in Peace.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Eddie Albert was a true professional in his field. He is best known as Oliver Wendell Douglas in the television sitcom, Green Acres for 6 seasons. Now 6 seasons is a very successful run on TV, and if you look at this show you'd see the brilliance in the series. Albert was fantastic as the gruff Douglas who always wanted to own and work a farm, but he had obstacles from his wife Eva Gabor (Lisa Douglas), the greedy salesman and land baron Pat Buttram (Mr. Haney), the lame and nitwit farm hand Eb (Tom Lester), to the nutty Mr. Kimball (Alvy Moore), {well maybe not nutty, well yeah he was nutty}, and of course the store keeper Sam Druker (Frank Cady). This cast was really great and with the addition of some of the cast from Petticoat Junction you have a great series.

Okay, the pig was a little much, but it worked. Good job Arnold! ;)

Some thought that Eddie Albert must have been crazy to do this, but I think it was a brilliant move for him to do this. Wish there were more shows like this today.

We'll miss you Eddie.

Cheers B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• He was in one of my favorite Ronald Reagan movies - 'Brother Rat'; and I Thought he was
    great in 'Captain Newman MD' with Gregory Peck.

-ncb

My heroes have always been cowboys.

• Thank you, Hondo Duke Lane, for starting this topic of discussion. Eddie was a member of some of the last great old school ones still with us. It is a shame that not only these talents but the studios and writers of their time are all gone. The Hollywood of today is so caught up in political agenda's and pushing "gay rights", what ever that is, that they will never go back to the way it was. Especially in this sue happy culture with so many attorneys chomping at the bit to make a name for themselves. ACLU and such.

I remember a day when attorneys were someone you called for consulting on a matter in question. The person hiring the attorney always made the final decision wether the attorney liked it or not. Somewhere along the line, our culture decided that a person whom held public office, ie..Senator or Congressman, had also better be an attorney. The majority of which they are today. Just look at the latest performance of the self appointed "Magnificent 14" did in the Senate the other day. What a bunch of losers. There is a time and place for compromise and this was definitely not one of them. The blind leading the blind you might say. What can we do other than vote and discuss it? Not much I fear. Attorneys need to be put back in their place along with the Judicial Branch of Government. Start reading our Constitution for a change of pace. I digress.

Oh, for the days of simpler times. Good bye Eddie. You will be missed. - Ben

• Im sad to see such a fine actor such as Eddie Albert pass on,May you Rest In Peace Sir.I remember him most from Green Acres And of course The Longest Day.He did leave a very full life.

Ive been behind in the news recently,and....Im honest in saying i forgot the Duke's Birthday as I was travelling all day friday,I moved from Nova Scotia to Alberta ( From home to home it took me 19hours with travelling time and stop overs etc.

-IHW

Originally posted by InHarmsWay@May 30 2005, 11:51 AM
    I moved from Nova Scotia to Alberta

Good move, IHW. Personally, I think those western provinces are more politically sensible than the eastern provinces.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Eddie Albert will be missed. Though I never cared for "Green Acres," much of the rest of what he did was great. He should have received more prominence in "McQ."
    I know who the guy was that did Tony the Tiger's voice ("It's G-R-E-A-T"), but don't know how to spell his name. He also did the singing in the animated Christmas favorite, "The Grinch Who Stole Christmas," "You're a bad one, Mr. Grinch..." Sorry to hear he passed away as well.
    Jay - :(

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• Thanks for his name Jay. I'll miss hearing his voice another of those great but unseen persons. :( Also, While I was in the hospital, I heard that the other guy who was Fred Flintstones voice, had also passed away. The original "Fred Flinstone" Alan Reed, had passed away I think in the 1990's. :(

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..