The San Antonio Spurs

There are 15 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 4,475 times. The latest Post () was by markgpl.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I thought I would just mention the accomplishment of San Antonio's NBA Basketball Team, the Spurs. They won the NBA Championship last Thursday, June 23 against the Detroit Pistons, the second championship in three years and the third one in seven. These guys are great role models for our youngsters - they do a lot of charity work, much of it behind the scenes, and anyone would be hard pressed to find any of them getting into trouble with the law.
    On top of that, the fans here celebrate with a major party downtown without setting fires, creating pandemonium or rioting as has happened in some cities that have won the championship in the past. San Antonio loves its Spurs :wub: .

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• This is the kind of things that Duke liked from people here in America.

I remember Duke talking about the great people of San Antonio, and that was over 40 years ago, I guess they lived up to that reputation.

Congratulations Spurs and to you Jay. You must be a great fan.

Cheers B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Hi Jay,My friend,

CONGRATULATIONS TO THE SPURS
    ON THEIR CHAMPIONSHIP WIN

As you and Mike have said, they are wonderful role models.

When I come to San Antonio,
    You sure can show us around.
    Love to see it all!

Best Wishes,
    Keith

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Hello Jay,

I was just wondering since Texas has two Pro football teams, who do most people in
    San Antonio root for?

-ncb

My heroes have always been cowboys.

• Hi Nathan -
    This is mostly Cowboy country, but the relatively new Houston team is getting some fans here too!
    Cheers - Jay :D

"Not hardly!!!"

• hi jay

my son supports the cowboys (NQ cowboys) football team down under he also like the spurs (THFS) but not the basketball team they play the real game of football.

see the names are worldwide :D

cheers smokey

" its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"

• Hi Smokey -
    It seems team sports are universal - you can find them wherever in the world you go. Here in Texas, there is special enthusiasm for high school and college football. Every fall, the adrenalin flows by the gallon, especially when the University of Texas and Texas A&M are involved.

"Not hardly!!!"

• hi jay

they play american football over here but as of yet it doesn't have a great following as league, rugby, and AFL ( or as i call it cross country ballay) have tried to understand the game but all it looks like is mug the man with the ball :D we sometimes get coverage over here but very few so if you start to understand next thing you know its off again and not back for years

by the way whats texas a&m is it a uni team?

cheers smokey

• Hi Smokey - Texas A&M (Agricultural and Mechanical) University is one of the big centers of learning here in Texas. Not quite as big as the University of Texas (who is a major rival in sports programs, especially football), it is the single prominent feature of the city of College Station, Texas.

"Not hardly!!!"

• hi jay

thanks for that they seem to be really pushing the sports over there i went to a school that pushed sports but the learning was pushed just as hard hope that the kids dont burn out before they reach their potential.

can i ask how old are the children when they go to uni as over here they can range from 17 years + and some defer for a year before taking up their placements do they do that over there as well? our children have to had turned 5 before the begining of the year thet they start school so some dont start till they are close to 6 is this the same for them over there?

cheers smokey

• Hi Smokey -
    The ages are roughly the same as yours down under. I deferred for a year, myself, way back when and took a night school course before continuing college, but it a totally optional thing.

"Not hardly!!!"

Originally posted by smokey@Jun 30 2005, 06:24 AM
    can i ask how old are the children when they go to uni as over here they can range from 17 years + and some defer for a year before taking up their placements do they do that over there as well? our children have to had turned 5 before the begining of the year thet they start school so some dont start till they are close to 6 is this the same for them over there?

[snapback]18362[/snapback]

smokey,
    I can't speak for every state, but in California children have to turn 5 before (I think) December 1 in order to enter school in September. They don't have to enter at 5, but are mandated by law to be in school no later than 6. If a child goes to Kindergarten (which is optional, but most prefer it), then they are in school for 13 years (unless they double up on work and graduate early :D ). So most students graduate around 18. Many junior colleges will allow students as young as 16, but the requirements for university attendance are more stringent. Some wait a year after high school before going to college, but most college-bound high school students go directly to college after graduation (don't want to lost that "school" momentum, you know).

Then there are some adults who didn't go to college while young, but got the motivation later in life, and get a degree in their thirties or forties or fifties or . . . .

Mrs. C :angel1:

• hi mrs c and jay

thanks for that over here the children have to be 5 by the end of december to attend school in the jan. in 2007 they are starting a prep year so that the children will start school at 5 and they will do up to 14 yrs at school if they include going to kindy which they go to when they are 4

i dont think that students are allowed to double up here but they can repeat a grade once which my little bloke did and he wont be able to again. like you most of the children go straight onto uni or tafe if they make the grades/points to be accepted if not then they have no choice but to go out to work and take part-time studies at tafe to increase their scores in the hope that they can make the entry requirements, some choose to take a course that will give them credits into the course at uni and if they do 1 yr p/t it may give then 6 mths of the uni couse.

liek there some adults do uni as mature aged students and they can take the uni course p/t or f/t and if they are doing it for their work sometimes the company will help out in the fees.

cheers smokey

• Hello jay how are the Spurs doing now? Do yo go to the games at all.

Greetings from North of the 49th

• The Spurs couldn't handle the Lakers, so they're out of the playoffs. The same old bugaboo they had all season followed them into the playoffs - They would get a good lead and then in the third or fourth quarter lose their focus and let the other team catch up and win.:ohwell:

"Not hardly!!!"

• Hey Smokey:

Occasionally when I'm flipping channels here in Toronto, Canada, I'll come across a specialty sports channel we get here (comparable to ESPN in the USA) and Australian Rules Football or rugby and I'll immediately stop and watch it.

Although I live and breathe the NFL game (can't watch Canadian football to save my life..!), I do enjoy the Aussie games (although cricket doesn't do too much for me..:teeth_smile:

Although I grew up in Los Angeles, I've always been a Denver Broncos fan..!!