Is John Wayne really Luke Skywalker?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

There are 184 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by dukefan1.

• The "Gremlin" question made me think: maybe we could list any film in which John Wayne is referred to or cut into. I'll start with these:

We already discussed "Gremlins" (the sequel): Clips from The Cowboys and Cahill are intercut to make it look like JW is talking to and shooting it out with the Gremlins.

"E.T": The Extra Terristial watches "The Quiet Man" at home, and therefore his little human friend acts like John Wayne at the same time at school. Note that composer John Williams uses Max Steiners theme from the Quiet Man in this sequence (in Steven Spielberg's "1941", John Williams again uses the Quiet man score in the fight scene between Army and Navy)

"Star Wars": In the very first film (please don't expect that I know which Episode this is) Luke Skywalker returns in a hurry to the farm in the desert only to find out that his family has been murdered, the farm is in fire. He does some soul-searching after that (meaning: he wants to become a Jedi). George Lucas is a great admirer of The Searches. This hommage became even clearer in the latest Episode of Star Wars:

"Attack of the Clones": In a shot similar in composition to The Searchers, Annakin Skywalker watches the (Indian) camp in which his mother is held, from above (George Lucas even made it look like this galaxy far, far away could be Monument valley), and then sneaks in to even the score with them Comanche aliens.

In "The Stuntman" (in which Peter O'Toole plays a mad director) somebody asks a woman wearing boots if she's got them from John Wayne.

In the final confrontation of "Die Hard" the villain tells Bruce Willis that this time "John Wayne won't ride into the sunset with Grace Kelly", and Willis teaches him that this would be Gary Cooper. Reason enough to shoot the bad guy.

In "Viva Max!" Peter Ustinov visits the Alamo in San Antonio (he is a Mexican General planning to re-take the Alamo). He takes a sightseeing tour and is told (as they pass the Reynold Brown painting which was used for the poster of the JW film) that John Wayne was portraying Davy Crockett. As the story progresses Ustinov decides to use this as a password after he has taken The Alamo: Everybody who wants to get in is asked: John Wayne - and has to answer: Richard Widmark. Lots of people in Texas didn't find this film all that funny.

In "The Deer Hunter", when DeNiro is on a hunting trip, he says to one of his friends who's only carrying a handgun that he looks like John Wayne (JW presented the Oscar for Best Picture of the year to The Deer Hunter - but personally didn't care for it very much).

In "The Brink's Job", Peter Falk is robbing a bank and tells his boys that they must crawl now, "like John Wayne in Sands of Iwo Jima".

In "Full Metal Jacket", Matthew Modine does a very bad imitation of JW, saying "Is that John Wayne - or is it me?" several times.

In "Short Circuit", the robot watches Angel and the Badman at TV.

In "Bird Cage", gay Robin Williams gives his gay friend a little piece of advice: He should move like John Wayne to look like a man.

In "The Appartment" (which stole the Best Picture oscar away from The Alamo that year) Jack Lemmon gets home after a hard day's work, wants to watch TV - but finds that only John Wayne flics are on! If you look closely, the clips are from Stagecoach and Angel and the Badman.

In "The Last Picture Show" (directed by Ford's admirer Peter Bogdanovich) the film shown in the movie theater is Red River.

In "Cinema Paradiso" one of the films the Italian kids watch is Stagecoach.

Them's all I can think of right now. Anybody out there can add a few more titles?
    • Taxi Driver is virtually a direct remake of the Searchers of course it is inferior.

The verteran soldier showing up at the start both from the losing side.
      The main character in the story is the bad guy Duke and Di niro
      The main characters are both social outcasts
      There are quite a fer others you may need to watch both movies again I think you have overlooked a few thing

P.s. Kevin the bold button on the messageboard as of late hasnt been working

B)
      Regards
      Robbie
    • Bumping this to the top because I was hoping to get more replies on this one.
      Remember, the original question was: in which films were clips of JW films used or was he referred to. After some more hard thinking, I can come up with some more:

In "Back to the Future", when Michael J. Fox finds himself in the Fifties and telling "Doc" that Ronald Reagan is president of the US in the Eighties he gets a laugh: "And who is the Vice President - Jerry Lewis? Then JW must be Chief of Defense!"

In "The Color of Money" Paul Newman presents Tom Cruise with a special Billard queue, and he answers: this would be one for JW.

Tom Cruise again: In "Born on the Fourth of July", after being injured in Vietnam, he discusses with his friend why they had believed in all this JW stuff (this is directly from Ron Kovic's book: He joined the Marines because he was inspired from Sands of Iwo Jima).

In Blazing Saddles the black sheriff stops the town exodus by telling the people to give him 24 hours to find the baddie - and they should remember John Wayne. The response isn't great, so he adds they should do it for Randolph Scott then.

In Spies Like Us, Dan Aykroyd rides to the rescue of Chevy Chase in Rooster Cogburn manner (Elmer Bernstein did the score), shooting two guns. He wants to pick up Chase but Chase can't do the trick and they both fall flat. So Aykroyd accuses him he'd never seen a JW picture?

In American Werewolf the two American boys get into an argument over The Alamo with some English townspeople who tell them that they don't care much for JW.

In Midnight Cowboy Dustin Hoffman tells Jon Voight that the Cowboy outfit will only attract gays. Voight is embarrassed and only answers: "John Wayne!" (funny thing is, they were both nominated for the Academy Award - Wayne won for True Grit)

In "Overboard" one of Kurt Russell's sons imitates JW.

In "The Man with Bogart's Face" the private eye who has a resemblence with Bogie hits the leading lady. When she asks him why: JW did the same thing with Ward Bond in Hondo: To mislead the enemy, hit a friend.

In "1941" Slim Pickens is tortured by Toshiro Mifune and his Japanes henchmen to tell them where Hollywood is. He won't tell - because he fears they might bomb John Wayne and Frank Sinatra.

That's all for one - anybody can think of some more?
      :rolleyes:
    • Wow, you have seen a lot of movies, itdo, and have a great recall for detail!

Are there any you haven't mentioned, that you're hoping someone else will share? Of the ones you listed, I've only seen four. Are you a movie critic (either for real, or self-appointed)? I am continually amazed at all you know! I haven't been as much of a John Wayne fan over many years as I am now, so perhaps I would notice those things more now as I am watching other movies.

Chester
    • ooops, you got me there, Chester. yes, I'm also working as a filmcritic (there ARE only self-appointed film-critics!) for press and TV.

but no, I'm not holding some titles back, I hope you guys out there pitch in and name a few I don't know yet.

another one comes to mind:
      In "Weird Science" two guys hide in a closet when the bad guys enter their house. Kelly LeBroc (whatever happend to this Woman in Red?) opens the door and reminds them that this ain't the JW way to deal with danger.
    • In The Supranos on HBO, in at least 2 episodes, Tony was watching Red River on tv. In The Dead Poets Society with Robin Williams, he quotes Duke doing Julius Ceasar "Is that a dagger I see befor me?" And in the TV show M*A*S*H, Radar did several impressions of Duke in different episodes (including the "I ain't gonna hit ya" quote from McLintock). These are some that come to my mind. dukefan1
      "I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "
    • :angry:

If you noticed on the M*A*S*H TV series with Radar, he uses that Duke impression of McLintock line with the movie released in 1963, and the Korean War was 1951-1953. What a Flub-Dub that was to make and I caught that the very first time I saw that.

:rolleyes:

I'm glad that you brought that up on your post dukefan1.

Hondo B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"
      - John Wayne quote
    • Hondo,

I can't believe I didn't realize that mistake when I was reading about it (not being much of a M*A*S*H watcher, I don't recall ever having ever seen those particular episodes). That is too funny.

Thanks for pointing it out.

As I have said in an earlier post, I think I missed many of the things referred to here, because I wasn't as much of a John Wayne fan as I am now. I think I would pick up on that type of thing much more if I saw the same thing today.

Cheers!

Chester
    • In a John Travolta film, the bad guy is watching a movie when travolata creeps up on him, travolata remarks "hes watching Rio Bravo". Later in the same movie the bad guy states this isnt Rio Bravo with John Wayne and Robert Mitchum shooting the bad guys". Travolata then goes about correcting his mistake

B)
      Regards
      Robbie

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_card_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="3" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">