The Twenty First Century Club

There are 781 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 220,324 times. The latest Post () was by lasbugas.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

Originally posted by arthurarnell@Sep 1 2005, 01:59 PM
    Just got back from Spain

Did you participate in the tomato fight, Arthur?

Man, those Spaniards have some strange customs, I think.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Hi Stumpy

No we saw it on television, and some people got injured in the running of the bulls, I agree with you about their customs but it's not a bad country. We also took in day trips to Gibralter, which as it is a British colony was obviously like going home and during a tour of the rock we looked at some of the 34 miles of tunnels hewn out of the rock during the Second World War by the British sappers and Canadians. During the height of the war when Hitler was threatening to invade Gibralter the tunnels housed 16,000 soldiers. One interesting point to Americans is that the rock has only had one foreign governor in its history and that was General Eisenhower when he was planning operation Torch the invasion of North Aftrica.

The rock has Barbary apes running free at the top and its a tradition that if the apes leave the rock then the British will also leave. During the war Churchill noticed that the number of apes was declining slightly and ordered another thirty to be put on. Nowadays there are about two hundred and they are thriving.

And speaking of North Africa it is only fourteen kilometers from the Spanish Border and we spent a day in Tangiers walking round the famous Casbah, Charles Boyer wasn't there but it was fascinating all the same.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

Originally posted by Hondo Duke Lane@Aug 31 2005, 06:35 PM
    I guess I better get off my :ph34r: and get going.

[snapback]21072[/snapback]

Hondo,

Gee, I guess you have been just a "little" busy lately, huh, helping out victims of Katrina.

While my ear's a little tired, being on the phone with friends from Oregon and insurance adjusters, that little cabin burning down pales in comparison to the devastation of the Gulf Coast.

We appreciate all your positive comments and great input!

Chester :newyear:

• I'm curious, Arthur. From what I've read, Cornwall and Devon have fairly balmy climates with lots of sunshine. If that's true, why did you spend your money on the Costa del Sol? Why not help out your fellow Englishmen by spending the money at home, so to speak?

• Hi Stumpy

last year we went to Cornwall, mid August three out of the seven days it was freezing cold with rain. The swimming pool was indoors. A week after we left torrential rain caused a mudslide at Bocastle a small village near where we were staying, the village was almost destroyed with flooding.

Holidays in England are very expensive and frankly not worth the money. In England a litre bottle of Bacardi costs £17.oo on the continent it costs 11 Euros (1.41 Euros to the pound). In England 20 cigarettes about £5.00 a packet, in Spain 200 cigarettes costs 29 Euros. Not that we smoke but my son does.

With Spain you know exactly what you are getting - uninteruppted Sun, Sea and Sangria. As an example our guide told us that it hasn't rained on the Costa del Sol since the second week in March. Although this doesn't bode well for the district and also that they have fifty golf courses to continually water. If you are in an out of the country in a fortnight, its not to bad.

You also get to go to some of the exotic places including Granada where we saw the Alhambra Palace the home of the Moorish Kings, and some of the beautiful Cathedrals around the area.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi Arthur,stumpy,
    For the price of a holiday in Torquay these days,
    you could be in Spain, or the West Indies.
    Coach journeys from up county taking up to 8 hours!
    and all that, for very indifferent weather!!
    You could well be somewhere exotic in that time,
    and for less money!
    As we always say, here, we live in a beautiful part of
    the country, if only the sun shone a little longer!!

Best wishes,
    Keith

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Well, guys, thanks for the explanations. You explained it very well. Don't blame you for going to Spain, Arthur. ;)

I must have read one of Cornwall's propaganda pieces. :lol:

• 2000!!!!!

This thread has not been used since September 3, but I wanted to bring it back after I finally made it!!

It's been real, and I'm glad to know such a great group of people here. Thanks everyone for all you do here. I am having a lot of fun.

See you soon enough at 2100.

Cheers Mike a.k.a. Hondo Duke Lane B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Hi Mike,
    It is amazing to see you reach such a milestone,
    and now, like Chester, you really should be a Two Star General.

CONGRATULATIONS on reaching 2000 posts.

It has been a real pleasure knowing you,
    and I look forward to our continued friendship.

My very best wishes,
    Keith

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Congratulations Hondo on your 2000. I always enjoy your posts, especially when you provide information on the various topics. Also as a moderator, you do a good job keeping things on the up and up.
    Cheers - Jay :jump::jump::jump::jump:

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• Dang, Hondo! 2000 posts :o Boy, if you had a nickle for every post, you'd have...uh....lets seeeeee...oh hell, math never was my cup of tea :P Congrats!!

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• hi hondo

CONGRATS on reaching 2000 posts glad to see that you have had time for yourself.

see you soon at 2100 until then keep smiling

hooroo smokey

" its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"

• Hondo,

Yippeeee!

CON :jump: GRAT :jump: U :jump: LA :jump: TIONS :jump: !

The 16th was a banner day - it was Arthur's anniversary of joining the message board, you posted 2000 posts, and the Mrs. had a birthday! Woo hoo!

We are hoping to get back here soon, as soon as we get our computer fixed - it is givin' us fits :dead: .

We're glad we could drop in, even for just a few minutes!

Chester :newyear: and the Mrs. :angel1:

• While wishing you all a Merry Christmas, we realized that, lo and behold, there we were at 2199 posts . . . .

So . . . here we are, post number 2200!

We couldn't ask for a nicer day for it to happen. All kinds of new stuff happening here on the board - new forum, new photo gallery, new recent topic list, and our new forum moderator, ethanedwards - and Christmas on top of all that!

Yee Haw!!

Plus, one of our family traditions is to open one present the day before Christmas, and my teenagers got me a framed 24" X 32" pencil/lithograph print of . . . guess who . . . yep, you're right - Mr. John Wayne himself :lol: !

So now we're on to the next post - so many choices of where to go :D .

Merry Christmas to all!!

Chester :newyear: and the Mrs. :angel1:

• <span style=\'font-family:Optima\'>Hew Haw!!!

I so glad to have you as a friend and see that you are getting back into the flow of things. I'll see you soon at 2100, but for now have a Merry Christmas.

Cheers B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Here I am making my next move to the next level. #2100!!

This has been a lot of fun and still meeting new people and enriching my life with my old ones here on the board. I am so blessed to be here and able to stay in touch with many of you here. I hope that you will continue to visit and post. We can never know too much about John Wayne. I just hope the new year will be better with getting more of Duke's movies on DVD.

Thanks to many here for your support, and may He bless you.

Cheers Hondo B)

- John Wayne quote