My Darling Clementine-alternate Version

There are 18 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 7,059 times. The latest Post () was by ZACK613.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I just watched the alternate version of John Ford's My Darling Clementine. It restores some of the half hour of footage Darryl F Zanuck cut. It also restores parts of Ford original sound track. I found this version an improvement of the already ***** re-leased version of the movie. I hope someday Ford's actual director's cut will be found.

Any one else seen this?

John Bernard Books (The Shootist):
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them."

Originally posted by ZACK613@Sep 22 2005, 03:26 PM
    I just watched the alternate version of John Ford's My Darling Clementine. It restores some of the half hour of footage Darryl F Zanuck cut. It also restores parts of Ford original sound track. I found this version an improvement of the already ***** re-leased version of the movie. I hope someday Ford's actual director's cut will be found.

Any one else seen this?

[snapback]21592[/snapback]

Hi Zack, I saw this version. I managed to get the DvD about 2 months ago.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

Originally posted by The Ringo Kid@Sep 26 2005, 04:28 PM
    Hi Zack, I saw this version. I managed to get the DvD about 2 months ago.

[snapback]21663[/snapback]

WHAT DID YOU THINK?

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them."

Originally posted by ZACK613@Sep 26 2005, 05:52 PM
    WHAT DID YOU THINK?

[snapback]21668[/snapback]

I liked it all the way through and did like the changes to it though I do not remember the film much for what it used to be since its been many years since I last saw that version of it. :)

• Hi Carl and ZACK,
    It's strange, I just watched the old VHS version,
    and I still consider it a great film.
    Although the ending, was weak, and was Clementine,
    ever a girl in Earp's real life?
    Apart from that, I thought it ,one of the top three,Earp films.

Best Wishes,
    Keith

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Hi Keith,
    My Darling Clementine is one of my favorite films, I have it on DVD, printed here, but I didn't now what kind of ending is on it - old or not. :huh: I think it is old, in it Earp kisses Clementine very modest good-bay at the end and ride away. I like the scene.
    Also I know almost nothing about real Earp :o
    May be it is some other information in the web or books. What other Earp films you mentioned? Are they worth seeing? And is it some sense in purchasing DVD of MDClementine with alternate version and some features I suppose?
    Regards,
    Vera

• Hi Vera,

Yes I agree with you about the film.
    Other 'Earp' films, are many,but I guess, the main landmarks are:-

FRONTIER MARSHALL(Allan Dwan)1939
    MY DARLING CLEMENTINE-(John Ford) 1946
    GUNFIGHT AT OK CORRAL(John Sturgess) 1957
    HOUR OF THE GUN(John Sturgess)1967
    DOC(Frank Perry)1971
    TOMBSTONE(George P. Cosmatos)1993
    WYATT EARP(Lawrence Kasdan)1994

My favourtie being TOMBSTONE,

Best Wishes,
    Keith

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Hi,
    Here's an interesting piece from my Sunday newspaper,
    Wyatt Earp, was also a boxing referee!!
    He was the referee, for the 1896,
    World title fight in San Francisco!
    The fight was controversial from the start, as Wyatt
    entered the ring wearing a six-shooter, and had to surrender it, before the fight could start.
    More controversy followed as Earp was accused of fixing the fight,and the California press questioned his integrity.
    Wyatt Earp later became a fight promoter in Alaska.

Vera,
    There are several sites on the internet, that relate, to Wyatt Earp's
    true life story,

Best Wishes,
    Keith

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Hi Keith, I too thought the ending was a bit weak. I like the extended version better because we get to see more of Fonda, Bond and Brennan.

I don't know if a Clementine was ever a part of Wyatt's life or not, that might be a good question to ask those people at the History Channel who make the show: Wild West Tech, which is alternately hosted by David & Keith Carradine.

• Hi Carl,
    How are you, hope you are well and OK?

I could never work out the Clementine connection,
    as the name is never mentioned in any of the other films!
    To my knowledge, neither have I come across it, in
    any of Earp's biogs, unless, I've missed something!
    It just seems strange, considering John Ford, was
    personally involved with Wyatt Earp, that
    he would tilt the whole of a true story, onto a fictional character!

Best Wishes,
    Keith

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Hi Keith,
    Thank you for the information, it is really interesting to see different films about one person. I think - I saw one of them - Wyatt Earp - in the videostore.
    Regards,
    Vera

• Hi Keith, got ya a reply on that other thread and thankfully, everything here is back to normal. ;-))

I think the Clementine thing is only in the Henry Fonda movie. I do not recall the name ever used with any other version of the Gunfight At the OK Corral.

I would bet that Wyatt Earp in his later years was really quite a character and probably capable of coming up with some real tall tales. :)

• Hi Carl, my friend,
    Thanks, no, it didn't cost a penny to repair,
    first of all it was under warranty, and my neighbour, did it as a favour,
    as a few months, ago, I was fortunate to, maybe,
    save his girlfriends life! So I suppose, helping me out
    with my PC was, a kind of thank you!!
    How come you haven't got a PC? are you communicating by cellphone?

I'm glad I'm not the only one, who noticed about dear old
    Clementine, so where did Uncle Jack, conjure her up from?
    Now there's an interesting question, Does anyone know??

Come on. Carl, the girls, wonder where you've been, you're losing a lot of ground
    to Jay and I, get your self back over to the RS thread.

Very Best Wishes,
    Keith

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Originally posted by ethanedwards@Sep 29 2005, 10:56 PM

as a few months, ago, I was fortunate to, maybe,
    save his girlfriends life!

[snapback]21756[/snapback]

Hi Keith,
    It sounds very interesting :rolleyes: What it was? So you too a man with true grit? (I read your answer to Sally in the other thread. :D
    Regards,
    Vera

• It's a shame that some of the footage is missing for the "alternate" version. (For those who haven't seen it some of the footage is missing in a bar scene during a song.)

It's a shame that the complete John Ford version wasn't saved - some of the changes made the film better, some didn't - but it would be interesting to have both versions available. The "alternate" version is a middling version with a bit of the new footage and some of Fords footage already edited out.

It's a great movie either way - even if it was historically VERY inaccurate.

• Hi Keith, glad you did not have to spend any funds on repair. Ahhh, saving your neighbors significant other, seems to have been a nice extra for you ;-)) I'm glad to hear that that incident at least turned out positive for all.

Heh heh, well, every year I keep telling myself that this is the year I make the plunge and buy a computer. However, by Dec 31st, I am still without one. Actually, I can't really afford to buy one yet because of my health problems. The bills and meds I have to pay for are eating me alive. I'm lucky to be able to buy 2 DvDs a month now. Maybe in 2006?.....................

Also, I have no cell phone either. I like the "land line" much better anyway. No blackouts and I don't have to worry about its battery quitting.

I don't know where JF came up w/ Clementine and it was probably created (in his image of a pre-Maureen O'Hara character) but I know I am most likely wrong on this hypothesis.

Oh I DEFINATELY miss the girls as well. :-)) I think they are fanstastic ladies and would be proud to fight for them. :cowboy:

What is keeping me away so much lately are my many Drs appts, the high gas prices and now-the person I room with is (as of yesterday) in the ICU at Christus Spohn Shoreline Hospital in Corpus Christi. Some problems found out yesterday was that my friend has an enlarged heart with an irregular beat. The liver is damaged and there is liquid retention in some of the organs. I think things will end up OK but, definately will be much different.

It's looking like now that my next chances to be here might be Thursday and Sat.

I don't mind being the hospital patient but, going to visit a friend really is tough.

This is interesting Keith now that I think about it. And I am glad that i'm being thought of as you are the third person today that has wondered where I have wondered off to. One person I have not heard from for a few years now but who was used to reading my posts on a historical website sent me a long and nice email.

On my hospitalized friend. I think they will be doing more testing in the ICU for at least a day or so and then they will finally place him in a room of his own. I plan to go visit tomorrow afternoon and to sneak in some goodies. ;-))

Take care my friend--Carl.

• Hi Keith, I have not seen anything that ever substantiated that she wasa real and was a love interest. ;-))

Oh and, I think Maureen O' Hara has always been and is, a very beautiful woman. Also, I feel the same way about Olivia de Havilland. :D

• Alas there is lots of missing John Ford footage that seems to have been lost forever. Everything from 20 min from his Wagon Train episode to almost all of his silent Westerns. We could always hope they will be found someday.