General age of the fans who love Duke

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Your view is limited. Please register to the JWMB to access all features.

There are 199 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Kevin.

• At the suggestion of someone in another thread, I thought I could bump this to the top, and pin it, so many of our new members could "chime in." And judging by some of the numbers, it would seem that some of our not-so-new members have not added their two cents to the poll (Chilibill, you gettin' my drift?).

Have at it, guys and gals! :lol:

Chester :newyear:
  • Originally posted by The Ringo Kid@Oct 15 2004, 05:29 PM
    Im 37 and counting.............................................................. :cowboy:
    [snapback]11784[/snapback]

I'm 35 and NOT counting. :P But my daughter :wub: is 13 and because of me, is startin' to become a Duke fan. Her favorite movie is Angel and the Badman. Even BEGGED me to let her have my copy of it on DVD (which I did. I know. I'm a softie :P ).
  • I thought I had addressed this topic already!? It may have been a similar one - anyway, I'm one of the old-timers here - 62 (and counting), so I'm old enough to recall seeing a few of the Duke's late 50s movies in the theaters (and, of course, anything later than that. At any rate, Chester beat me to reviving this topic - Thanks Chester -
    Cheers - Jay :rolleyes:
    Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"
  • :D My Father is 83 years old and I'm 31. I do have an appreciation for that generation. I have gotten to know it well. I agree with you, Sir. Once you know that age group you almost seem to yearn for the same things they knew.
    Originally posted by Cole Thornton@Mar 29 2004, 08:03 PM
    "I see you are my cousin."  :lol:  That's worse than some of the dialogue in The Conqueror!!!

I'm happy to see that we of the 31-40 age group are the majority in the poll so far (20 votes currently), and I think this may have something to do with the fact that many of us, whose grandfathers are WWII veterans--think of our grandfathers as having a John Wayne-like persona.  My grandfather, who is 80, grew up in the South during the Great Depression and served in the US Navy during WWII.  He experienced hardship and held many of the independent, individualistic values that the Duke believed in.  There's a line in McClintock when Wayne's character says:  "The government never gave anyone anything!" and from The Undefeated:  "Well, I sure ain't gonna give 'em to the army!" (referring to horses).  Whenever I hear those lines, I immediately think of my grandfather talking. It's right out of something he would say!  Anyone else from the 31-40 age bracket have these same thoughts?
    [snapback]8758[/snapback]

• JWAngel,

Welcome to the John Wayne Message Board! We need more angels around here :rolleyes: !

Do you live close to your dad? Is he computer savvy? Maybe he could join in on the discussion, too - that would be great.

Chester and our youngest daughter have an age spread similar to your and your dad - he hopes that someday she might like the Duke the way he does (currently it's our almost 9 year old son who is the big fan among our children).

We look forward to hearing more from you in the future!

Mrs. C :angel1: (I've been signing with this smiley for a long time, but if you become real regular, I might just have to surrender it to you and find a different "trademark" :rolleyes:)
  • JWAngel,

Glad to have you here. It's good that you found us and shared a little about yourself. That is a big age gap but it's good to see you have a good relationship with your father. Are you the youngest in your father's family?

See you soon and keep 'em coming.

Cheers B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"
    - John Wayne quote
  • It is wonderful, that from the votes, polled, so many younger people, love The Duke, however, I err on the side of caution! As a previous posting mentioned, most "mature" people are not on-line, and are not PC minded. If it were a postal vote, i'm sure your figures, would be different!
    Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England
  • ethanedwards,

I'd like to welcome you on this board; the greatest for a great American. I will agree with you about the younger generation being on the internet more than us old ones over 40, but I want to remind you that Duke died over 25 years ago, and if you have a following of fans under 30 or 35, then you must admit that he has an influence on our youth today. That is encouraging in my book and I want to encourage the youth to see what a great American is. We don't seem to have many out there today.

Thanks for the post and looking forward to more.

Cheers B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"
    - John Wayne quote
  • Originally posted by ethanedwards@May 1 2005, 02:43 PM
    As a previous posting mentioned, most "mature" people are not on-line, and are not PC minded. If it  were a postal vote, i'm sure your figures, would be different!
    [snapback]16392[/snapback]

ethanedwards,

We would like to add our welcome to those you have already received. We've really enjoyed your posts so far, and look forward to hearing more from you.

We were wondering, where is Torquay in relation to Portsmouth? As you may have noticed already, one of our moderators, arthurarnell, is from Portsmouth, England. We have several other members from the UK, and from around the world - truly a world-wide community of Duke lovers!

As for the Mrs. and myself, we are of the "more mature" variety. Some of our members are older than spit (that's not quite as old as dirt :rolleyes: ). But you are quite right when you point out that there are many younger folks coming to know the Duke as we have come to know him (thanks to cable and satellite TV, and those John Wayne movie marathons).

Again - WELCOME!

Chester :newyear: and the Mrs. :angel1:
  • Guess when I post this, Hondo and Chester, will still be snoozing, but can I take this
    opportunity of thanking, both of you, and Arthur, in Portsmouth, for your welcomes.
    I've enjoyed browsing the site, and can only hope, that any contributions, that I make, will be as enjoyable.
    Torquay, as Arthur knows, is on the same coast as Portsmouth, but a little further, south-west, 3-4 hours away.
    I agree, it is fantastic, that the younger ones, are keeping the memory of the Duke
    alive, my children, being amongst them.
    Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England
  • Originally posted by ethanedwards@May 2 2005, 02:41 AM
    Guess when I post this, Hondo and Chester, will still be snoozing . . .
    [snapback]16407[/snapback]

You got that right! According to my computer, you posted at 2:41 AM my time :dead: .

I'm assuming you voted in the poll, but I don't think you stated your (at least approximate) age. I'm judging from your comments that you might be among the slightly older set (how old are your children, and how many of them are Duke fans?).

As for our family, though I have 6 kids ranging in age from 25 down to 6, it is only the almost 9 year old is a big fan, along with me and my wife.

Chester :newyear: