General age of the fans who love Duke

There are 199 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 90,795 times. The latest Post () was by Kevin.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I am having a great time talking to everybody here, it's great to talk to people who love The Duke because people my own age don't understand :P !

The youngest member of the JWMB! And proud Cowgirl!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Hi Bek,
    You certainly are the youngest, that has posted their birthday.
    If you look on the the Real Seniors thread, on the first page,
    there is a roll call, of all the birth years, and I've now included yours,

Best Wishes

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• :o WOW, I am surprised to see that the largest demografic from the poll is the 30-40 year old range. While i am at the very far upper end of that group for another 7 weeks or less, i never saw a Duke movie on the big screen. My log in name explains part of why i always have and always will be a Duke fanatic not just a fan. You see my greandfather looked just like DUKE, he was about 6'3" and bought me my first horse for my 3rd birthday. For the 1st month he would ride with me, the next month he would lead me with a rope following his horse. The first Saturday of December 1969 we went out for our Saturday ride. I can remember it like it was yesterday. We always started just after dawn and it was very cold. he would saddle my horse for me until i got big enough to do it myself about age 7 or 8 i guess. Well he helped me up onto my horse, a pinto just like Little Joe's from Bonanza " as i had begged for. I got all situated with the riens in my gloves and fett settled in the sturrips, it was the i noticed he had not attached the lead rope to his horse from PINTO'S HALTER. I asked him where it was and he simply replied "You don't need it anymore" The rest is now history. I rode with him for the next 20 years. We would go to Kings Moutain National park and ride the marked and unmarked trail every spring and fall with a riding club from my home town. He had worked there during the depression era in the CCC'S as part of FDR'S alphabet soup projects. My 2pa had his 1st major heart attack and was in ICU after being shocked 7 times to revive him at the same time THE DUKE was in his last days. In fact THE DUKE went clear while he was still in the hospital. I was 12 1/2 and it hit me like a ton of bricks. As my list of people or hero's in order of importance were and still are Jesus first and foremost, then 2pa then, THE DUKE, Dale Sr. i could go on but that is enough for you to get the picture. Fortunately 2pa held on and lived until 91. I haven't ridden a horse or been hunting since, i have tried but jsut don't have the heart.

• :o WOW, I am surprised to see that the largest demografic from the poll is the 30-40 year old range. While i am at the very far upper end of that group for another 7 weeks or less, i never saw a Duke movie on the big screen.

• I'm twenty five right now and think very highly of the Duke. He died a year before I was born and I think that really sucks, but like it has been said, he really had a long full life. One of my other favourite people in the world is another aging cowboy (now deceased unfortunately) Johnny Cash. I see parallels betwen the two (besides their first names0

[SIZE=3]That'll Be The Day[/SIZE]

• I am not sure about the fact that older people do not use the internet, My mother used the internet regularly for the last 8-10 years of her life. She died last year at the age of 65 years old. Most of her friends, her age, all use the internet quite a bit.
    Anyway, I got off on a tangent. I have been a Duke fan since I was, well I can not remember not seeing his movies. I have become progressively more and more a Duke fan as I have aged. I am now 35 years old and I am an avid fan. My daughter who is 4 years old can not tell you the name of any other actor in the world, but she can and will give you the name of John Wayne, she can point him out whether it is in Angel and the Badman, The Quiet man, Donovan's Reef, Hatari, The Searchers, The Cowboys, El Dorado, and her all time favorite.. Big Jake.. well McClintock is right up there.. the three that she loves the most.. Big Jake, McClintock and Hatari.. she will watch them over and over. We are on our 2nd copy of both hatari and big jake because she has watched them so very many times. My daughter is 4 years old.. and I really did not influence this, she has a tv in her room with only certain channels set to be on.. discovery, animal planet, lpb, amc, tmc, western channel, and assorted kids channels.. and she tends to watch and has been drawn to John Wayne over and over again. Since she was just a baby. She was hurt seriously a year or so ago and when she was kicked in the face by a horse.. as we have horses, and she did not cry, she told the paramedic that Jake McCandles would not have wanted little jake to cry, so she was not going to cry.. mind you, she had a shattered nose, severely broken right eye orbit.. she never cried, when they asked her at the hospital, same response. When she had the 2nd surgery just a few months ago, she watched 3 movies over and over again before and after surgery.. at the hospital etc.. big jake, hatari and eight below..

I think there are many qualities that make John Wayne movies appealing and make him appealing. His movies are larger than life, flawed characters that are not necessarily perfect by any means that overcome and show that inner strength. His personal life was not what stars of today are.. he had a strong family life. He stood for something. He tried did not tru to be thousands of things, but instead tried to stand for certain things and did a brilliant job of it.

Nicole

• Hi Ravenslight(Nicole), great sorry and nice to hear we have some young kids appreciating Duke's films and what he stood for. Welcome to the board and look forward to talking to you in the future.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• I am new to this wonderful site of memories for John Wayne!

I always watched John Wayne during my early years - my friends were into the David Cassidy and Donny Osmond - but, I would watch the DUKE!

He was cool and an All American before it was fashionable.

I always admired his strong stance on patriotism and loyality. He is a true hero to me. I miss his strength and his smile. I think of his courage he showed during his later years when he was very sick, but he kept on plugging and smiling. I am so amazed that right after his lung was removed he went back to acting a few months later! I pray I can only be as strong when I have my surgery in three weeks. I do think in my mind (as the doctor is pushing those needles in me and the recovery afterwards) of John Wayne and his famous quote that I've seen on this site: "COURAGE is being scared to death - and saddling up anyway!" and I believe that to be my strength when I "hear" his voice saying that in my ear and mind.

John Wayne was true to himself and true to others. I feel his movies showed him as himself. I can not describe this to others who do not understand what he stood for and how important he was to America. I wish he was here now. I bet there'd be no "terror" in the world if Duke was still in the saddle! :D

God Bless John Wayne!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    JohnWayne-ly Yours, Pilgrim

TEECEE

• Welcome TeeCee to a great board of folks who are fans of one of the greatest actors America ever produced!

The Duke is certainly a good model to have in mind as you face your surgery.

Keep us posted on how things go and know our prayers and well wishes are with you.

God Bless,
    Tbone

Tbone

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please."

• Welcome txlady0316 and John Wayne saddleup to the JWMB. This is a fun place to be and where you can find all sorts of info on our all time favorite actor, John Wayne.
    Cheers - Jay :D

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• Hello All,
    I first saw a JW film with m father when he came back from Burma after WW2. He came back in 1947 and I can remember him taking me to a local cinema to see "Stagecoach". He was a great fan of JW and his enthusiasm rubbed off on me and now it has continued with my daughter. I am currently 66 years old and my daughter is 41. My grandson also enjoys JW films and his favourite is "Angel and the Badman". He is 9 years old, so as you can see our family covers a broad spectrum. I enjoyed reading the comments. Hope to write again soon.
    Regards
    Redcap

RACMP - For the troops With the troops

• :D WOW! Thank you all so very much for that warm welcome!!!
    Hello to TBone, Jay J. Foraker, SXViper, ethanedwards, chester7777, and Redcap, cchoate and txlady0316 !!!!!

I am truly proud to be a fan of John Wayne and I can tell by these wonderful posts I have found special fans, too!!

I will update and let you know how my surgery goes.....thank you for the blessings.

JW will definately be within my mind throughout.

He is so unique and I wonder how big of a smile he would have on his face to know we all still have him so close to our hearts.

Ta! for now..

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    JohnWayne-ly Yours, Pilgrim

TEECEE

• Welcome okiedokie!

It's good to have another member from the Sooner State in our midst!

Enjoy the ride, these are good folks.

Tbone

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please."