General age of the fans who love Duke

There are 199 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 90,010 times. The latest Post () was by Kevin.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Hi all

I was having a converstion with a 16 year old about movies and we got into discussing about 'The Great Escape' he said although the movie was good he would not watch it because it was old. I was amazed by this responce bull all of a sudden another boy aged 17 stated that he agreed the only old movies he would watch were John Waynes, I thought he was joking but he wasnt he then went on the say how much he loved John Waynes and his movies. At university last year we had a John Wayne night before we went out to a party we only got time to watch 'Rio Lobo' but it was well received even with females. One gentleman scoffed at Duke but he was a Clint fan we claimed that it was his age (21) and that older people prefer Clint. We were all 19-20, a load of my friends around the age of 18-22 would lend me Dukes movies or telephone me and others if his movies were on TV. In the year 1999 at high school we studied the 'Green Berets' and 'Born on the 4th of July' what a cool assignment to get as a student we also got to watch 'The Longest Day'. Well thats all I can say about people I have met that would be in my generation. Of course people will scoff and say these stories are lies but to them I would say come on over and see for yourself.

:agent:

Regards
    Robbie

• Hello Stumpy,

Welcome to the board, I'm glad you found us!!

Yes, his appeal is huge, I think it's more now then ever before. I try to watch atleast one JW movies a week (making sure the kids are around :) )

• It's amazing how I watch a John Wayne movie, and the young folks (age 13- 17 years) would watch it, and like it a lot. When they ask me what movie it was and who starred in it. I would tell them, "Rio Bravo", "The Searchers" or something like that, and starring John Wayne. They would be shocked! I thought he was bad or something. I like this movie. I hooked them. They would discover a new concept.

Duke gets no respect from their parents. You figure.

Cheers, Hondo B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Thanks for the welcoming messages, folks.

Actually, I've been a fan of the Duke's even longer than fifty years. I'm 66 (born January 1938) and have been avidly watching Big John's movies since the Forties. In fact, some of my favorite Wayne films date from the Forties; "Shepherd of the Hills", "Reap the Wild Wind", "Flying Tigers", "Fighting Seabees", "Pittsburgh", "They Were Expendable", "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon", "Three Godfathers", "Fort Apache", etc.

I think I probably absorbed my devotion to the Duke from my Mom, who was also a big Wayne fan. I remember a humorous incident concerning my Mom and step-dad that occurred sometime in the late Forties or early Fifties. We had been to a drive-in to see one of the Duke's movies (might have been "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon"). On the way home, my Mom kept gushing about John and my step-dad, perhaps jealous, said, "Oh, I wish you had John Wayne stuck up your rear". My Mom, giving a little giggle and mischievously bouncing on the car seat, said, "Oh, me too". :lol:

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Stumpy,

What a riot! :lol: That's just a gem. I laughed when I read that line. That has to be the best way to see a John Wayne classic at the drive-in. I saw only a couple, since I am in my forties and was a little lad when the drive-ins were fading out into the sunset, so to speak. But I always loved the westerns and Duke was one of them of course. I think the last movie I saw at the drive-in was Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. I saw True Grit at the walk-in.

Stumpy welcome to the board, and thanks for the classic story of your family's experience to the great American drive-in. Look forward to many more stories of your Duke classics.

Cheers, Hondo B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• I was glad to find you all tonight. I started wathcing THe Dukes movies with my dad and when i go to visit him i still do. I am to young to have seen him in the theaters, but still hope to find a theater running some of his old movies.

I watch atleast one John Wayne movie every week and more often than not, it is a family event for my wife and me with our four kids. I have a five year old that would rather watch a Duke western than cartoons. You couldn't ask for more.

Stonewall_Steve

• Stonewall Steve,

A big welcome to the greatest message board for a great hero, John Wayne. I am so glad you found us, and look forward to many many posts from you. Invite your father to the board. We'd love to have him and he can read many of the great posts here. I take it that you are in your 20's or early 30's by the way you posted last.

I hope that one day we can get a lot of Duke's pictures on the big screen for many to enjoy again and get those who were not around see the greatest actor on the screen.

Cheers, Hondo B)

- John Wayne quote

Originally posted by Stonewall_Steve@Mar 16 2004, 09:31 PM
    I have a five year old that would rather watch a Duke western than cartoons. You couldn't ask for more.

Steve,

A big welcome to the John Wayne Message Board! We're always happy to have another Duke fan join the ranks.

I can certainly relate to your warm feelings regarding having a child who loves John Wayne. I have an almost 8 year old who has been a cowboy always. When he was three, he would march around with his cowboy hat (an old Stetson I got at an auction) and announce, "I a cowboy! I John Wayne!" We still enjoy watching the Duke's movies together, and does he have a sharp eye. He recognizes actors from other movies with an almost uncanny accuracy.

Get your wife to join in on the fun here. My wife and I have a great time reading and posting together.

Don't be a stranger!! :lol:

Chester :newyear:

• "I see you are my cousin." :lol: That's worse than some of the dialogue in The Conqueror!!!

I'm happy to see that we of the 31-40 age group are the majority in the poll so far (20 votes currently), and I think this may have something to do with the fact that many of us, whose grandfathers are WWII veterans--think of our grandfathers as having a John Wayne-like persona. My grandfather, who is 80, grew up in the South during the Great Depression and served in the US Navy during WWII. He experienced hardship and held many of the independent, individualistic values that the Duke believed in. There's a line in McClintock when Wayne's character says: "The government never gave anyone anything!" and from The Undefeated: "Well, I sure ain't gonna give 'em to the army!" (referring to horses). Whenever I hear those lines, I immediately think of my grandfather talking. It's right out of something he would say! Anyone else from the 31-40 age bracket have these same thoughts?

"Day off?"
    "Off day."

• At the suggestion of someone in another thread, I thought I could bump this to the top, and pin it, so many of our new members could "chime in." And judging by some of the numbers, it would seem that some of our not-so-new members have not added their two cents to the poll (Chilibill, you gettin' my drift?).

Have at it, guys and gals! :lol:

Chester :newyear:

Originally posted by The Ringo Kid@Oct 15 2004, 05:29 PM
    Im 37 and counting.............................................................. :cowboy:

[snapback]11784[/snapback]

I'm 35 and NOT counting. :P But my daughter :wub: is 13 and because of me, is startin' to become a Duke fan. Her favorite movie is Angel and the Badman. Even BEGGED me to let her have my copy of it on DVD (which I did. I know. I'm a softie :P ).

• I thought I had addressed this topic already!? It may have been a similar one - anyway, I'm one of the old-timers here - 62 (and counting), so I'm old enough to recall seeing a few of the Duke's late 50s movies in the theaters (and, of course, anything later than that. At any rate, Chester beat me to reviving this topic - Thanks Chester -
    Cheers - Jay :rolleyes:

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• :D My Father is 83 years old and I'm 31. I do have an appreciation for that generation. I have gotten to know it well. I agree with you, Sir. Once you know that age group you almost seem to yearn for the same things they knew.

Originally posted by Cole Thornton@Mar 29 2004, 08:03 PM
    "I see you are my cousin." :lol: That's worse than some of the dialogue in The Conqueror!!!

I'm happy to see that we of the 31-40 age group are the majority in the poll so far (20 votes currently), and I think this may have something to do with the fact that many of us, whose grandfathers are WWII veterans--think of our grandfathers as having a John Wayne-like persona. My grandfather, who is 80, grew up in the South during the Great Depression and served in the US Navy during WWII. He experienced hardship and held many of the independent, individualistic values that the Duke believed in. There's a line in McClintock when Wayne's character says: "The government never gave anyone anything!" and from The Undefeated: "Well, I sure ain't gonna give 'em to the army!" (referring to horses). Whenever I hear those lines, I immediately think of my grandfather talking. It's right out of something he would say! Anyone else from the 31-40 age bracket have these same thoughts?

[snapback]8758[/snapback]

• JWAngel,

Welcome to the John Wayne Message Board! We need more angels around here :rolleyes: !

Do you live close to your dad? Is he computer savvy? Maybe he could join in on the discussion, too - that would be great.

Chester and our youngest daughter have an age spread similar to your and your dad - he hopes that someday she might like the Duke the way he does (currently it's our almost 9 year old son who is the big fan among our children).

We look forward to hearing more from you in the future!

Mrs. C :angel1: (I've been signing with this smiley for a long time, but if you become real regular, I might just have to surrender it to you and find a different "trademark" :rolleyes:)

• JWAngel,

Glad to have you here. It's good that you found us and shared a little about yourself. That is a big age gap but it's good to see you have a good relationship with your father. Are you the youngest in your father's family?

See you soon and keep 'em coming.

Cheers B)

- John Wayne quote

• Welcome to the John Wayne Message Board JW Angel. I've found that the Duke's influence and popularity extends across all age groups. Come back often and visit with us.
    Cheers - Jay :D

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• It is wonderful, that from the votes, polled, so many younger people, love The Duke, however, I err on the side of caution! As a previous posting mentioned, most "mature" people are not on-line, and are not PC minded. If it were a postal vote, i'm sure your figures, would be different!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England