Pinned Duke's Family- General Discussion

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

There are 114 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by ethanedwards.

• I don't have any idea about her singing but, she was in Bracketville, Texas last weekend attending a 45th anniversary showing of The Alamo at Alamo Village. She, along with her brother-in-law Don Lacava and Don and Toni Waynes daughter, Anita. Anita appeared in the movie as a baby in her mothers arms during the womens evacuation scene. I certainly wasn't there but, alot of other Alamo devotees were and from what I read it was a grand affair. Also there, was Rudy Robbins who played "It Do", Dean Smith who did a few parts in the film and Theresa and Willie Champion. Theresa Champion was the flamenco dancer who danced on the table in the cantina and her husband was the guitar player who accompanied her.
    • Hi WaynamoJim,
      Thanks so much, for that information,it is so interesting.
      After I'd read Aissa's book, I've looked out for her name and singing.
      However, it doesn't look, as if her singing has made it to the UK!!
      However, if you know of any sites, where her singing, can be sampled or downloaded,
      please let us know,that's of course, if she's still singing at all!!
      Thanks,

Best Wishes,
      Keith
      Best Wishes
      Keith
      London- England
    • Hi

I have to agree with Chisum and Waynamojim
      What's the point of Duke's kids letting someone
      who's not family look after their interests?
      Isn't that why their father worked so hard,
      so that they wouldn't have to.
      I run my own business and my hope is that
      at least one of my kids will come into it.
      How many of us on this site wish we had a cow to milk?

Emmanuel.
      Emmanuel.

I'll try one of those black beers....THE QUIET MAN.
    • Alright you Cowboys don't let your Horses get all Lathered Up! Duke's Children all deserved to profit from what Duke had done in his life. Duke himself said he was working as hard as he did for His Children and Himself. :D

The term "Milking The Cow" is not to mean anything Bad. Here the Southwest it only means that You are "Not the One that made the Money or Built the Ranch or Business." :rolleyes:

That is the reason that Us Older People have a good Will, so the Children get what is Left and not the Government, :angry: after "We Quit this Mortal Shore and Mosey around this Place no More!" :)

I do know one thing, from the early 1980s Mike Wayne as the oldest son had complete control of all of Duke's Holding and he was a Very Hard Man to deal with! :fear: Mike himself said he did not know what he would have become if he had not Been John Wayne's oldest Son. :fear2: Because of Duke's Will all of His Children Shared in His Holdings. :P After Mike's passing all of Duke's remaining Children took on Running the Duke's Businesses that he had left them in His Will. :D

If you want to know were all of Duke's Holding went , you can go to DUKE'S WILL

Chilibill :cowboy:
    • Hi Bill, That was also my understanding of 'Milking the Cow'
      However, from what I've read on this thread, it's not the Wayne children who run the legacy, but the In-Law, namely Mrs Gretchen Wayne!!
      From what you said earlier, the older ones are not too impressed with this,

Thanks for the link,

Best Wishes,
      Keith
      Best Wishes
      Keith
      London- England
    • Keith

You are right Gretchen Wayne Mike Widow has control of Batjac and the big money that Duke's Films make!

Pat Wayne now has control of the John Wayne Cancer Inst. that brings in a lot of tax free money, now that Mike is gone.

Ethan at about 40 years old and controls Wayne Enter. that controls the Uses of the name "John Wayne and Duke" and the things that are sold under that Name!

From what I heard from the John Wayne Inter. Attorney, It looks like there might be some Bad Blood between the First and Second familys.

Bill :cowboy:
    • Hi all,
      I'm reading your posts with great interest and it seems to me that all critical words to Dukes elder children was connected not with that they inherited, but with some difficulties that wants with dealing with other people, who loves Duke and who whants to do something good.
      The Dukes screenimage and all he did in life belongs to all of us, not only to his family, who sometimes think mostly about themselves and what is profitable for them. For a pity. Because I didn't know what to think, when I hear that they insisted on closing the site or wants to control completely museum activity.
      I was very lucky today, Because I find in my post two books - one of them The Alissa Wayne book. I started reading it - its very interesting.
      Regards,
      Senta
    • This was mentioned a couple posts back, but there was a screening last weekend of the Waynamo in the actual Alamo set in Bracketville. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to go, but at some point, I'm gonna make it for one of those screenings.

If you're looking for some good pictures/stories or just some good ole' Alamo stuff, check out thealamofilm.com . One of the posters RLC-GTT actually works in The Alamo Village, and is a good source for information on my favorite Duke movie. He's also briefly in Bandolero!, also filmed at Alamo Village, during the shaving scene early in the movie.

I know it's a little offtopic, but I thought people would be interested. Oh, the Alamo screening topics/posts will be under Forums and then Alamo Movies. Didn't want to forget that.
    • Originally posted by Patrick@Oct 28 2005, 04:53 PM
      This was mentioned a couple posts back, but there was a screening last weekend of the Waynamo in the actual Alamo set in Bracketville.  Unfortunately, I wasn't able to go, but at some point, I'm gonna make it for one of those screenings.

If you're looking for some good pictures/stories or just some good ole' Alamo stuff, check out thealamofilm.com .  One of the posters RLC-GTT actually works in The Alamo Village, and is a good source for information on my favorite Duke movie.  He's also briefly in Bandolero!, also filmed at Alamo Village, during the shaving scene early in the movie.

I know it's a little offtopic, but I thought people would be interested.  Oh, the Alamo screening topics/posts will be under Forums and then Alamo Movies.  Didn't want to forget that.
      [snapback]22504[/snapback]

That's why I posted that, Patrick. I'm a regular on that site and if the folks here want to check it out, they should. They won't be disappointed. Lots of good people over there and all of our focus is anything Alamo. Not just Dukes version, all versions or movies pertaining to The Alamo. And if anybody here ever finds themselves in that part of Texas, they should stop in at Alamo Village and see it. It's worth the stop. Duke Wayne had it built especially for his Alamo movie.
      As for the post I did before about the Wayne children running the family business, if I had it wrong on what I perceived as unjust criticism of his kids role in all that, then I stand corrected.
    • Waynamo Jim, what's your screenname over at alamofilm.com? I used to post there fairly regularly, but haven't much in the last year. I still peek in from time to time though.

I loved Alamo Village when I visited their with my family there a couple years ago. Like I said before, I would love to get back there, and I can only imagine the chills down my back of watching the Waynamo while sitting in the Waynamo. "Hey, that's right there! I'm sitting where Travis died!"

Jim, did you make it down there this year for the Waynamo screening? If so, did you enjoy it? I remember reading that it was the uncut roadshow version of the movie, but I'm not positive or I just can't remember for sure.
    • Originally posted by Patrick@Oct 29 2005, 01:43 PM
      Waynamo Jim, what's your screenname over at alamofilm.com?  I used to post there fairly regularly, but haven't much in the last year.  I still peek in from time to time though. 

I loved Alamo Village when I visited their with my family there a couple years ago.  Like I said before, I would love to get back there, and I can only imagine the chills down my back of watching the Waynamo while sitting in the Waynamo.  "Hey, that's right there! I'm sitting where Travis died!"

Jim, did you make it down there this year for the Waynamo screening?  If so, did you enjoy it?  I remember reading that it was the uncut roadshow version of the movie, but I'm not positive or I just can't remember for sure.
      [snapback]22528[/snapback]

No, I didn't make it down last Saturday but, I wish I would've. I should have just took the money and gone. By reading what the others who did go are saying, it was a grand time had by all. I would have loved to meet Rudy Robbins, Dean Smith and, Jim Brewer. Just sounded like they has alot of fun. I've been to Alamo Village twice. First time was in 2000 and then just last year in June. I'd been wanting to go see that and the real Alamo since I was kid and I finally made it 5 yrs ago. My screen name over is "texianatheart". To me the luckiest guy in all this is Rich Curilla or RLC-GTT as he's known over on that site. He and I are about the same age and he first went there as a teenager and then went again in the late 60's and now has been working there for many years. He's also a great historian about Texas and the Alamo and also does filmwork. Like you said earlier, he had a bit part in Bandolero with James Stewart and Dean Martin. I finally got to meet him last year and we talked for a good couple of hours about all things Alamo. Definitely a man worth knowing.
    • Jim, when I went to Alamo Village three years ago I didn't know that RLC-GTT was actually Rich, the deputy of Alamo Village. Needless to say I was surprised when it came up in conversation and he revealed who he was. That's when they were filming The Alamo, so Rich showed me some of the pictures he had taken while visiting the new set at Dripping Springs.

I agree with you that he has one of the best, if not The Best, jobs ever. Just hearing him talk about sleeping in the church or the remains of Travis' headquarters made me want to watch that movie over again for the hundredth time, or thereabouts. Great guy who took a big chunk of his day to answer all my questions and show me around. That was a great trip to San Antone, and I would most definitely like to go back.