What Was The Last Western You Watched?

    This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

    Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.
       

    There are 5,955 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Kevin.

    • I agree with Emmanuel and Todd,
      Costner is at his best in Weterns.
      In Silverado, I think he was good,
      Wyatt Earp, probably not as good as Kurt Russell,
      but you couldn't fault him, in Dances
      and Open Range,

      The last western, I've watched, 'The Return of Frank James'
      Keith
      Best Wishes
      Keith
      London- England
    • Originally posted by SXViper@Nov 4 2005, 12:48 AM
      Plus that shootout scene has to be right up there with one of the best ever filmed, simply amazing.
      [snapback]22787[/snapback]



      I agree with you on that point. It seemed more realistic because not every bullit hit flesh. Lots of misses like it really was back then. It is one of the best parts of the film.

      Mark
      "I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "
    • Originally posted by SXViper@Nov 4 2005, 12:48 AM
      I just bought "True Grit" when I was down in Atlanta and watched in on my laptop when doing the airport thing. So that was my last western watched. I know, what a lamo for not having True Grit yet. Hey what can I say, I just never seemed to pick it up when I had the chance, I found it a store down in Marietta, it was $7.99, so I couldn't pass it up.
      [snapback]22787[/snapback]


      Hi Viper -
      I only purchased my DVD of "True Grit" in September, so I'm lagging in my sensibilities too. I hadn't seen it in a long time, so watching it again brought back memories, plus I didn't realize what a good film this was. I thought the accolades for Duke was its main claim to fame, but the acting and characterizations were way above average, not to mention the photography (but Arkansas never looked like this).
      Cheers - Jay :D
      Cheers - Jay:beer:
      "Not hardly!!!"
    • Originally posted by Jay J. Foraker@Nov 4 2005, 06:56 PM
      Hi Viper -
      I only purchased my DVD of "True Grit" in September, so I'm lagging in my sensibilities too.  I hadn't seen it in a long time, so watching it again brought back memories, plus I didn't realize what a good film this was.  I thought the accolades for Duke was its main claim to fame, but the acting and characterizations were way above average, not to mention the photography (but Arkansas never looked like this).
      Cheers - Jay :D
      [snapback]22794[/snapback]



      Hi Jay,
      The True Grit was filmed at Arkansas?
      Regards,
      Vera
    • Hi Vera,
      The novel was set in Arkansas,
      but the film was shot in Colorado,
      centered around Montrose.
      There was lots of criticism at the time,of course
      because the two States, were nothing like each other at all!!

      Keith
      Best Wishes
      Keith
      London- England
    • The last Western I saw was on DvD just yesterday and it is called: Waterhole #3. James Coburn, Carrol O'Connor, James Whitmore Sr, Bruce Dern, Claude Akins & Timothy Carey starred in it.

      The movie was faintly funny and I like all the actors in it but, the movie itself made little impression on me.

      Now the last "GOOD" Western I saw was Dodge City.

      I don't know if you can really call this a Western or not but yesterday I purchased The Grapes of Wrath (along with Waterhole #30 and I will be watching it tonight.
      Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..
    • Originally posted by Senta@Nov 4 2005, 01:14 PM
      Hi Jay,
      The True Grit was filmed at Arkansas?
      Regards,
      Vera
      [snapback]22795[/snapback]


      Hi Vera -
      No, the story supposedly took place in Arkansas and surrounding territory, but the actual filming was done in Colorado. Arkansas has no snow-capped peaks like you see in the film or even tall mountains as seen on the horizon where the story starts and ends.
      Cheers - Jay :D
      Cheers - Jay:beer:
      "Not hardly!!!"
    • The last western I watched was Monte Walsh with Tom Selleck (on DVD). Watched that last night. The night before I watched what I think was called "Two-Gun Woman", a pretty cheesy B-Western that was on the Western Channel. The last John Wayne westerns I watched were Hondo and McLintock!, both when I picked up the DVDs.
      Colorado Bob
      "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them" It may be time worn, but it's the best life-creed I know.
    • Originally posted by SXViper@Nov 4 2005, 12:48 AM
      I just bought "True Grit" when I was down in Atlanta and watched in on my laptop when doing the airport thing. So that was my last western watched. I know, what a lamo for not having True Grit yet. Hey what can I say, I just never seemed to pick it up when I had the chance, I found it a store down in Marietta, it was $7.99, so I couldn't pass it up.
      [snapback]22787[/snapback]



      Hey Viper, I purchased Rooster Cogburn (...and the Lady) almost two weeks ago. I know that it is not the same but it is the same character. :)

      Cheers B)


      "When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"
      - John Wayne quote
    • Originally posted by Jay J. Foraker@Nov 4 2005, 11:43 PM
      Hi Vera -
      No, the story supposedly took place in Arkansas and surrounding territory, but the actual filming was done in Colorado.  Arkansas has no snow-capped peaks like you see in the film or even tall mountains as seen on the horizon where the story starts and ends.
      Cheers - Jay  :D
      [snapback]22805[/snapback]



      Hi Jay,
      Thank you for information. I was always wondering, watching the film, were all these beautiful landscapes are situated? It will be really interesting to know in what places all Duke films were shoot. Some of them I know, the Mountain Valley of course, Sonora - "Angel and the Badman", Durango (in Mexico?) - The Sons of Katie Elder, The Alamo - somewere in Taxes
      Each in his own kind.
      Regards,
      Vera
    • Originally posted by ethanedwards@Nov 4 2005, 06:36 PM
      Hi Vera,
      The novel was set in Arkansas,
      but the film was shot in Colorado,
      centered around Montrose.
      There was lots of criticism at the time,of course
      because the two States, were nothing like each other at all!!

      Keith
      [snapback]22796[/snapback]



      Hi Vera,
      I don't think you noticed,my post to your question,
      but if you enter Locations in the search box,
      you will see quite a few threads relating to them

      Keith
      Best Wishes
      Keith
      London- England
    • Hello:
      The last Western I watched was Dakota. I just added it to my DVD library. I only have to get Three Faces West and then I'll have the complete John Wayne that has been released. Can't wait till they release some more.
      wbbison
    • Originally posted by ethanedwards@Nov 5 2005, 01:57 PM
      Hi Vera,
      I don't think you noticed,my post to your question,
      but if you enter Locations in the search box,
      you will see quite a few threads relating to them

      Keith
      [snapback]22820[/snapback]



      Hi Keith,
      I'm truly sorry, I didn't notice your post. Sometimes in the evening when I returned from the stable I became very slow.
      I will search the Locations. Thanks.
      Regards,
      Vera

    ..