What Was The Last Western You Watched?

There are 5,995 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 1,438,923 times. The latest Post () was by Mboat.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Hi Senta, what's MS? it does not sound familiar.

Take care--C.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

Originally posted by ethanedwards@Nov 26 2005, 09:58 PM
    Hi Carl,
    MS could be Magnificent 7,

Keith

[snapback]23397[/snapback]

Thanks mate...I should have known that :headbonk::)

• Watched Nevada Smith with my dad over the holiday weekend. Except for the Duke, you cannot hardly beat McQueen in a good western.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• Hi Jay

In his book John Mitchum explains about the splinters incident. Apparently the device was rigged and Hawks told Mitchum it would be set off on the count of three, he then told the effects man to fire it after two. The look of surprise on Mitchums face wasn't acting.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

Originally posted by arthurarnell@Nov 28 2005, 02:01 AM
    In his book John Mitchum explains about the splinters incident. Apparently the device was rigged and Hawks told Mitchum it would be set off on the count of three, he then told the effects man to fire it after two. The look of surprise on Mitchums face wasn't acting.

[snapback]23424[/snapback]

Hi Arthur -
    Thank you for that interesting bit of trivia. Hawks certainly made a good scene with that little trick!
    Cheers - Jay :D

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• I finished watching the special features on the McLintock dvd this weekend and am looking forward to buying Hondo soon, if not after Christmas.

The last western I watched was Wrath of God with Robert Mitchum as a bank-robbing priest. Kind of a quirky movie, but I really liked it and Mitchum was great.

• "River Of No Return" with Robert Mitchum and Marilyn Monroe (wow, was she stunning in this movie)

"Warlock" with Henry Fonda, Anthony Quinn and Richard Widmark

They'd never forget the day,the stranger rode into town

• Hey Senta,

The setting of that movie is within a 50 miles of where I live. The town is called Demopolis, Alabama, and it is a real french settlement town. Just thought I'd let you know about the town that is a major part of the movie. As far as I know, it was not shot in the town. It was before my time, and there was not any scenery shot in the movie.

Cheers B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• If you can call this a Western, then i'll tell ya that I just finished watching Gene Autry in Phantom Empire which is a serial that he did in 1935.

I love watching Serials.

[We need an animated Horse-drawn stagecoach or wagon icon please] if one exists? :D

• I love "The Phantom Empire" It's one of the funniest attempts to cross breed westerns and sci-fi. A fun popcorn adventure. And a bit of trivia "Phantom Empire" was remade in the late '70's for a short lived NBC TV series called "Cliffhangers"

They'd never forget the day,the stranger rode into town

• Once upon A time in the west, another sergio leone film I have enjoyed. 8/10
    The Searchers (twice, actually - last night and today!) 10/10!

-IHW

• Hi Hondo,
    Thank you for the comment. It all sounds very interesting. It is still mainly french town and they came to it after Napoleonic wars?
    I'm not quite understand in the film why they were in danger, when they settled according wrong landmarks?
    Regards,
    Senta

• Senta,

This is The History of Demopolis. At this web site you can read a brief history of the beginnings of the development of this town. There is some fact in this movie about what you ask about, but as for the movie, I am not completely sure if this is a true story or not. It seems to follow the same lines as the movie, but we can only guess if a character like John Wayne was a part of this history.

As for this not being a western, at the time the terrotory of Alabama in 1817 was as west you as you got in that time period. There was not much settlement any futher west as least to the Mississippi River, and this was the wilderness. I do know that Mississippi was a state at the time, but it was also mainly wilderness at that time. Most of the population was around the gulf coast and New Orleans, and along the river. Anyway, I wanted to voice my opinion about what Carl said about questioning this movie as a western. It was a wilderness movie along the same lines of a western. ;)

Cheers B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Hi Vera,
    In answer to your question.
    Basically the bad man Hayden and his equally nasty band of bad rivermen, set up a scheme, to evict the French settlers, by switching the stakes,
    set by the surveyors.

Best Wishes,
    Keith

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• I see the Western as a depiction of members of society moving across these United States in its formative years (the term "taming of the West). As such, "The Fighting Kentuckian" certainly qualifies. A movie (or story) such as "The Last of the Mohicans" qualifies as well, even though it takes place in New York State, because, at that time, the area was mostly wilderness and settlers and pioneers were making their way through coping with the adversity and challenges found in that day.
    Cheers - Jay :D

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• Hi Everyone,
    From this side of the pond, it seems,to me,
    that if anyone landed on the East coast and moved inland,
    they must have been going West!!!
    To me any film made about this conquest
    must be Western by nature, and Geography alone???

Best Wishes,
    Keith

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England