What Was The Last Western You Watched?

There are 5,995 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 1,448,017 times. The latest Post () was by Mboat.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Forgot to mention: Springfield Rifle w/ Gary Cooper, Alan Hale Jr. Lon Chaney Jr and Fess Parker.

Lon Chaney Jr:

With a young Fess Parker as a Confederate Cavalry Sergeant:

In an Army Jail with a young Alan Hale Jr.

After McCool was killed:

A young Martin Milner:

Love this shot:

I THINK, this is the exact still I have from the movie:

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

Edited once, last by The Ringo Kid ().

• Re-release of Dakota. Loved seeing Duke and Ward with so much interaction. Even though antogonists, there are those special glimpses that I cherish so much of their unique friendship.
    And I don't think I have ever seen Walter Brennan perform without liking it....special dude he was.

TP, KEITH

God, she reminds me of me! DUKE

• Yes, indeed, Russ. I always do an article on the anniversary of Ward's Death. This time I was a guest on Speakeasy. It just went out if you care to read it:
    http://hqofk.wordpress.com/2012/11/05/wagon-master/

Hope things are getting a little better there. Keith

Tha Outlaw Josey Wales (last 2/3, anyway).

Also, today is the 52nd anniversay of the deaths of both our good friend Ward Bond, and also Johnny Horton...

• Never seen Springfield rifle.
    Looks like another one to add to the list!

Its an excellent one. Also, as far as i know--the only way to get Springfield Rifle--is in the Gary Cooper Signature Collection.

• Is that the box set with the red cover or the blue one, lol!

Honestly--I cant remember what the box color is--but it wasnt red. This set also included: Sergeant York (which I already have) The Wreck of the Mary Deere and I THINK? Dallas. Oh and another title whose name I forget at this time.

• Honestly--I cant remember what the box color is--but it wasnt red. This set also included: Sergeant York (which I already have) The Wreck of the Mary Deere and I THINK? Dallas. Oh and another title whose name I forget at this time.

That's the blue one!:wink_smile:

"Pour yourself some backbone and shut up!"

• The Cowboys. (CONTAINS SPOILERS) Such a great movie. Almost every boy's character is developed and finally helped along by Wil Anderson, (Duke) and Mr. Nightlinger, (Roscoe Lee Brown). Nightlinger helps Anderson to realize the boys could take the place of his two he lost 20 years before.

The drive sounds and feels like a real one, (I participated in a short 4 day one in Louisianna once). The fight between Wil and Long Hair is brutal but realistic. Wil's dying scene was so touching, most of the boys said in an interview that they really cried.....even tough Cimarron.

The killing of the evil gang done by Mr. Nightlinger and the boys is nothing more that what would probably have happened if the circumstances had been true, (however, they probably would have just shot them in an ambush). Mr. Nightlinger set it up.....the boys had not learned anything like that on the drive...in fact all their pistols and rifles were locked up the whole time. And the demise of Long Hair was perfect for what he had done to Wil. No, there was no trial....just didn't seem appropriate.

When the boys drove the cattle into Balfoushe, (sp), they were no longer just boys, they had gained some important lessons along the way and were well on the way to becoming MEN. And like The Sands of Iwo Jima, a once disliked commander of men was killed, but he was still carried on with them when one gave his normal ready signal of "Saddle up". In the Cowboys, it was "We're burning daylight".

Some of Wil's dying words with all gathered around were, "I'm proud of you....everyone of you".....there is more, but best left for when you see the movie. They all stick in your mind long after you've seen it.

Duke really chose a great one when he did The Cowboys. And, as most of us know, the tiniest boy on the drive ended up to be a World Class rodeo champ.

If you haven't watched this movie because you just can't stand the thought of Duke dying or because you have heard about the boys killing men, do yourself a favor. Watch it. Duke chose it for us, and he had a good reason...it was a great film. The score was super also. I find The Overture going through my head at the most unusual times.

KEITH