What Was The Last Western You Watched?

There are 5,995 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 1,444,938 times. The latest Post () was by Mboat.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Encore Westerns runs two episodes of Have Gun Will Travel every afternoon. Today I had a chance to run a batch of them and was reminded of the number of "stars to be" that were featured, many of whom appeared again together. One had Strother Martin as a whining town official who was murdered by James Coburn (of course, who hasn't killed Strother on film). They both later appeared in the fine Walter Hill Film "Hard Times".
    Charles Bronson showed up to have a fistfight with George Kennedy, both of whom were in "The Dirty Dozen"
    Ron Soble tried to maul Jack Weston with fighting spurs long before "The Cincinnati Kid".

I always try to identify at least one supporting player in every episode and scan the credits to confirm my guesses - these are about 50 years old, after all, and some of the actors. like Louise Fletcher and Dyan Cannon are very young. My fallback is stuntman/director Harold (Hal) Needham who performed most of the stunt work and was an all purpose Indian lurking in the background.

We deal in lead, friend.

• Have Gun- Will Travel
    Watched two more episodes,

Everyman
    &
    Jonah and the Trout.
    Strange episode, where Paladin suddenly
    becomes an expert deep lake diver!!

Jonah is played by an unrecognizable Harry Carey Jr.

not a bad story

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Rawhide: Season 4, Episode 4
    Judgment at Hondo Seco

Another reasonable story, as it appears, Season 4, had stronger stories, and the episodes longer.

However, this was typical of many of the Rawhide episodes,
    in which the sub-plot is bigger then the whole.

Although the plot centers around one of the drovers,
    Clint and Sheb, also in the mix, just about,
    one gets the feeling that the writers/producers
    just used the Rawhide series, to provide a vehicle
    for many miscellaneous stories,
    non of which were remotely connected to a cattle drive!!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Last night I finally finished watching Season 1 of Hell On Wheels. Really like that show. Also watched one of the extras in the set. It was "behind the scenes" and was about 20 minutes of someone shooting home video of the crew setting up and in some instances shooting scenes. Kind of interesting to see what they do in making the series. Sort of taking a step back and seeing the entire picture, if you will.

• Rawhide: Season 4, Episode 14
    The Captain's Wife (12 Jan. 1962)

This one featuring Barbara Stanwyck,
    in another episode with a sub-plot,
    that has nothing to do with the drive.

At least this one includes Gil Favor,
    and some other unknown drovers.
    However Clint and Sheb, no where to be seen,
    even though on the opening credits!
    There were some cattle, briefly at the beginning,
    which is unusual for many Rawhide episodes!!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England