What Was The Last Western You Watched?

There are 5,995 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 1,442,341 times. The latest Post () was by Mboat.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Deadwood on HBO-didn't watch it on it's original run, so I'm catching up now. Anyone know off hand if it has a final episode tying it all up, or does it just stop?

• Watched Bluray copy of The Searchers on Monday with my 4 (all under 9yrs old ) kids.

Their request. They have good taste already.

Hope everyone had a Happy Easter.

• Strange things happen.

Tonight I watched a movie that I haven't seen in at least 50 years. And the reason for that is because I didn't care for it the first time I saw it so never made any effort to watch it further on TV or otherwise. However, when a DVD version appeared, I bought a copy just because it starred the great Gary Cooper and I had vowed to try and collect films starring all my favorite performers, even if I didn't like the stories themselves. But after buying the DVD, I still never watched it because, as I said, I didn't like it the first time and figured a second viewing would just bore me to death.

Although it probably wouldn't be called a true Western, it's kind of an odd category because not only does it feature Western star Coop but he's leading a group of more-or-less soldiers fighting Indians. The movie is "Distant Drums", which is a story of the fight against the Seminole tribe in Florida.

Recently I posted to the effect that I'm in the process of reviewing my movie collection and giving to my local library those films that, for various reasons, I don't really like. I fully expected to still feel that way about this movie. But much to my surprise, I thoroughly enjoyed "Distant Drums" this time around and will definitely retain it instead of giving to the library. Highly recommended.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• 'Pale Rider' (1985)
    -Clint Eastwood
    Plot:
    A mysterious stranger protects a small prospectors village from a greedy mining company

Phantoms Review: I love this movie. Eastwood's next to last western and his last turn as a "man with no name" . While this film is basically a 'Shane' remake, Eastwood makes it his own, with his cool, calm, possibly supernatural"Preacher". Great traditional western action, fine acting and some magnificent cinematography make this one of the last great westerns.

They'd never forget the day,the stranger rode into town