What Was The Last Western You Watched?

There are 5,995 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 1,442,338 times. The latest Post () was by Mboat.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• "The Fastest Gun Alive" (1956)
    -Glen Ford, Broderick Crawford, Jeanie Crain

Plot Synopsis: IMDB.com

Whenever it becomes known how good he is with guns, ex-gunman George and his wife Dora have to flee the town, in fear of all the gunmen who might want to challenge him. Unfortunately he again spills his secret when he's drunk. All citizens swear to keep his secret and support him to give up his guns forever -- but a boy tells the story to a gang of wanted criminals. Their leader threatens to burn down the whole town, if he doesn't duel him.

Phantom's Review: Very well acted, character driven western. Glen Ford is fine (as always) as the Ex-gunman hiding from his past and Broderick Crawford is great as the bad guy. The only problem I had with the film is, about 15 minutes in to it, the film comes to a halt so they can have a song and dance number with actor Russ Tamblyn (who starred in everything from "West Side Story" to "War Of The Gargantuas"). Other than that, it's a fine movie.

They'd never forget the day,the stranger rode into town

• Excellent Western - ranks among my favorites. And Jeanne Crain was one classy gal, I thought.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• I can't remember what my last western I saw was? it's been so long since all my stuff is packed for moving :-(( Since i'll not have much access to my things till late August, im seriously thinking of buying a cheap DvD player and a few dollar dvds-just so's I have something to watch.

Im going through Westerns Withdrawell. :-(( helllllp.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Hi,
    I watched "Quigley Down Under" and "Last Stand at Saber River" - both with Tom Selleck. And, believe me, Tom Selleck can be a great cowboy-actor (O.K., he is not the Duke, but he acts very cool and looks great on horseback...!). In "Last Stand at Saber River" we could see old Harry Carey Jr., who had done some great movies with John Wayne.

- I like Tom Selleck as "Magnum P.I." too. The show is always great fun to watch! Are there any Tom Selleck Fans here?

"Never apologize. It´s a sign of weakness."

Edited once, last by Dukesfan: forgot something ().

• Watched "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon" and "The Horse Soldiers" on the Western Channel yesterday. Note that Bing Russell, who played the soldier whose leg had to be amputated in "The Horse Soldiers," was the father of Kurt Russell.

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• watch Hombre with Paul Newman and Richard Boone - its one of my favorite -
    a great cast including David Canary from Bonanza and Cameron Mitchell
    from High Chapperal - the Paul Newman character is one of the great western roles in movie history - 5***** from 5 -

[CENTER][/CENTER]

• "Red River" (1988)

-James Arness. Bruce Boxletiner

A Texas cattle rancher, his stepson and a group of cowboys drive a herd of cattle from Texas to Kansas, along the way they fight Indians, the elements and each other.

Made for TV movie. As far as remakes go , this one is actually pretty good. It sticks close enough to the original, but has just enough changes to not feel like a carbon copy. Western vets Arness and Boxletiner do good jobs in recreating the roles originally played by John Wayne and Montgomery Clift. And if there is any actor who can come close to filling Wayne's saddle it's James Arness.
    Not quite as good as the original, but very enjoyable.

They'd never forget the day,the stranger rode into town