What Was The Last Western You Watched?

There are 5,995 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 1,442,345 times. The latest Post () was by Mboat.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Well, let's see. The last western I watched? Well, it was about a town marshal who was a drunk, and the bad guy had killed someone, and was running loose because the drunk sheriff was too drunk to do anything about it. Then the drunk sheriff's friend came to town and put on a badge to help the drunk sheriff, by arresting the bad guy, but the bad guy's family was trying to get him out of jail and the family was rich. ... Oh, the name? Well, it wasn't El Dorado, and it wasn't Rio Bravo. It was The Adventures of Brisco County Jr. An episode called "Showdown." It was great. The writers were doing an homage to John Wayne and Howard Hawks. I loved it. Especially at the end when Brisco says he has to follow up on a lead to catch his arch enemy John Bly. Brisco says he has to go to El Dorado!

A fun show, and made even better with this episode! If you get a chance to see, I highly recommend it.
    Bob

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them" It may be time worn, but it's the best life-creed I know.

• Just watched The Far Country with James Stewart, and currently watching an old favorite: Blazing Saddles. Love that campfire scene! :wink_smile:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Monseur, you are a LuLu!" (The Comancheros)

• "Gunfight At Comanche Creek"
    - Audie Murphy, DeForest Kelley

Plot :IMDB

Comanche Creek, Colorado, 1875: Prisoner Jack Mason is broken out of jail by a gang of strangers. They use him in a robbery, then when the dead-or-alive reward is high enough, they shoot him and collect. The National Detective Agency, now knowing the gang's methods, arranges to have agent Bob Gifford jailed in Comanche Creek for train robbery. The gang takes the bait (not before Gifford catches the eye of lovely saloon-keeper Abbie) and Gifford goes undercover to try and stop the bad guys.

Phantom's Review: Decent "B" western with some good action and an interesting story. Best part of the movie: Deforest Kelley (of "Star Trek" fame) as a ruthless cold hearted S.O.B. Makes you totally forget kind "Dr. McCoy"
    Annoying part of the film: A narrator. It's almost like the film was written as a radio show and then switched to the movies. Completely unneeded.

They'd never forget the day,the stranger rode into town

• "Undead Or Alive" (2007)
    - Chris Kattan, James Denton, Navi Rawat

Plot:IMDB

Army deserter Elmer Winslow and local cowboy Luke Budd are on the run after robbing the evil Sheriff Claypool, stealing his money and fleeing the town, they find themselves with an angry posse on their trail. Joining Elmer and Luke is an Apache warrior, who's out to wreak vengeance on behalf of her decimated people; her plan is to attack the U.S. Army wherever she can find it, and she takes Elmer up on his offer to go with her to the nearest Army outpost he knows. Their plans become complicated when they discover that, as a result of the great Apache Geronimo's curse on the white man, all the people of the surrounding areas have turned into zombies.

Phantoms Review: If your a fan of Westerns, horror, or comedy then do yourself a big favor and....AVOID THIS MOVIE LIKE THE PLAGUE!! Bad in almost every respect. The western aspect of the film is obviously made by people who should not be making westerns. The attempts at horror fall flat and the comedy is pathetic. The only good thing about this film is a lovely actress named Navi Rawat, but even she can't save this looser of a movie.

• Just watching "City Slickers" for about the 20th time, and one of my favoite Funny Westerns along with "Blazing Saddles" !!
    :teeth_smile:
    How can you ever forget Jack Palance as Curly The Trail Boss in this Film, and He Got a Oscar for this Film !!
    :hyper:
    My Step-Father was just like Curly and a Tough as Nails Old Cowboy, but He became my Best Friend after I became a Man !!!
    :teeth_smile:
    Chilibill
    :cowboy:

• How can you ever forget Jack Palance as Curly The Trail Boss in this Film, and He Got a Oscar for this Film !!

Bill,
    Did you by any chance see the telecast when Palance won his Oscar?

He got down on the floor and did several one-handed pushups and when he did this, he was in his 70s. Amazing!

De gustibus non est disputandum

• "Where The Hell's That Gold ??!!??"
    -Willie Nelson, Jack Elam

Plot: IMDB
    On the run after stealing and hiding a large amount of gold, two outlaws find themselves travelling through 1895 Mexico on a train full of dynamite as rebels. Apache Indians, Wells Fargo agents, and Federal troops trail them. When they are captured by the Mexican authorities, they scheme to keep their ill-gotten riches with the help of a sassy madam and her prostitutes...

Phantoms Review: Well acted, but dull. Great chemistry between Nelson and Elam and Delta Burke as the Madame is fine, but the movie just doesn't have what it takes to be a really entertaining film.

• Jim Jarmusch' Dead man, very different and yet not so different western, hypnotically beautiful

I don't believe in surrenders.

• Watched "The Outlaw Josie Wales" last evening. I've watched bits and pieces of this movie over the years but never the whole thing. I know many people have commented that this was one of their favorite westerns but I have to say that I wasn't impressed.

• For the life of me, I've never understood what it is about the so-called "spaghetti" Westerns that people find so appealing. I've watched bits and pieces from time to time but never could get really get into 'em. Last night I tried again, watching the entire "A Fistful of Dollars" and IMO, that was one of the worst entries in the Western genre I've ever seen.

According to everything I've ever read the "spaghetti" Westerns were what made Clint so popular. I sure don't understand how. If I had based my opinion of his acting abilities on them (as represented by AFOD), I'd probably have never watched another Eastwood movie again.

• Stumpy, don't forget, you're judging a 40+ year old movie on 2009 standards. I do agree, though.

Yesterday, I saw "Death Rides A Horse" with Lee Van Cleef. How that movie didn't win mutiple awards for the soundtrack is beyond me.

Right now, I'm watching "North To Alaska." Not too bad. Oddball actress Capucine did a good job, but , alas, did the suicide thing. Too bad.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

For the life of me, I've never understood what it is about the so-called "spaghetti" Westerns that people find so appealing. I've watched bits and pieces from time to time but never could get really get into 'em. Last night I tried again, watching the entire "A Fistful of Dollars" and IMO, that was one of the worst entries in the Western genre I've ever seen.

I agree, this is a bad Western Movie! For a few Dollars more is worse than that and The good, the bad and the ugly a little bit better. The only spaghetti-western I liked was Once upon a Time in the West (but that one was not a Clint Eastwood movie).

Clint Eastwood has done a lot of better stuff in his life than that bad spaghetti-western!

Maybe You won´t call it real a Western, but at the moment I am watching the TV-Series "North and South" with Patrick Swayze based on the books of John Jakes. It´s a great epic TV-Show about two families, one from the North, the other one from the south, and the friendship of two men, who studied together at West Point, fought together in the War between the USA and Mexico and became enemies in the Civil War. The story has 16 episodes and starts in the 1840ths.

I always enjoy episode 1-12 and for me episode 12, when the Civil War has ended, is the real end of the story! In the end the two friends from the North and the South go together into the future, like the nation, that is united again. The four episodes about the years after the war are not so great...

"Never apologize. It´s a sign of weakness."

Edited once, last by Dukesfan ().

• Clint Eastwood has done a lot of better stuff in his life than that bad spaghetti-western!

Amen, my friend. Clint has made many movies I really liked, including quite a few Westerns but none were the "spaghetti" Westerns.

Perhaps surprisingly to a lot of people, I didn't even like his Oscar winner "Unforgiven" all that much. I liked "Pale Rider" much better.