Carl's Update on WWI and WWII Veterans

There are 138 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 29,667 times. The latest Post () was by The Ringo Kid.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Stumpy

Drinking anything that strong, I don't think I'd see the the moon, never mind howling at it. :o

Emmanuel. :jump:

Emmanuel.

I'll try one of those black beers....THE QUIET MAN.

• Actually, Emmanuel, it's 151 proof , as this page shows. Pretty strong stuff.

I was stationed in Puerto Rico from 1976 until 1978. One weekend the wife and I hosted 6 or 7 Royal Marines who were training on a nearby island. We began drinking that Bacardi 151 about 1900 Friday evening. By 2030 those guys were climbing the coconut trees in my yard. And by 2130 they were all passed out. I wasn't because I had drank sparingly - I knew what the stuff could do. :P

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Holy Mackerel Stumpy, That stuff your talking about is Strong Stuff, 151 Proof! :fear2: In the early 1950s we brought back from Puerto Rico a Bomb-Bay full of some kind of Rum, I do not know if it was the same as you talking about or not, but I do know that we were the most popular B-29 Crew on the Base. :)

I got a hold of my Contact at N.A.S.A and he said they could get 200 Proof but as soon as the outside air gets to it becomes 195 Proof for their Rocket Fuel.

That stuff that you are talking about would make Very Good Rocket Fuel!!! :wacko:

Bill :cowboy:

• Stumpy and Chilibil

I think you would have to be a rocket to drink that stuff. ( over here we call anyone who does anything at all silly a rocket) :headbonk:

Emmanuel. :jump:

Emmanuel.

I'll try one of those black beers....THE QUIET MAN.

• Yes, I have always heard that 96% alcohol is the maximum limit in room temperature. More than that it evaporates. Since I don't drink very much I was a bit surprised to see that you guys hadn't had stronger stuff than that, since I have had moonshine with between 85-90 % alcohol lots of times. Than it occured to me that the way they tax alcohol in this country means there are lots of people who make their own stuff illegally. I used to know some people who were pretty good at making it and they made stuff with 93-94 % alcohol. I never touch homemade stuff anymore, but I used to drink it like beer at times. I was unconscious before I could ever get a hangover. I guess I was around 17-18 at the time so I would always overdo it.

• The page showing the Bacardi 151 says that it can be ignited for a flaming drink.

That reminds me of a humorous incident. When I was a young, unmarried soldier in Germany the first time (1959-'62), I used to hang out with my buddies in night clubs and bars a lot. There was a German liquor called Escorial (spelling?) that we would ignite and then snuff the flame with our mouth as we drank, which greatly impressed the bar girls.

One night we were in a bar with some girls and showing off by drinking flaming Escorial. The girls were drinking small bottles of champaigne, called piccolos. My girl got about half-drunk and decided she wanted to try my trick of drinking flaming Escorial. So I bought her a glass, lit it with my cigarette lighter and watched as she tipped it up and started to drink. The problem was, she didn't snuff the flame as she put it to her mouth. The drink ran down her bosom and caught the front of her dress on fire. She and the other girls began screaming, while my buddies and I were roaring with laughter. Finally I grabbed a beer and poured it down her front, quenching the flames. The bar was pure pandemonium by this time. Naturally, the bar owner was greatly upset and threw us out of the place.

Originally posted by William T Brooks@Jun 11 2005, 09:19 PM
    Stumpy; You sound as bad as me in the early 1950 as a Young Kid wanting to burn the Whole World up. :angry: Boy am I glad that is over!!! :headbonk:

Bill :cowboy:

[snapback]17460[/snapback]

Well, Bill, before I married and got tamed by my wonderful wife, I was a hell raiser almost without equal. But that is all in the past. Now I'm a responsible citizen. :lol:

• hi emmanuel

not those two they cause the mischief where ever they go :lol: got to :wub: them both

they sure do have some of the best stories of their youth though what a toublesome pair they would have made if they had off hooked up while they were younger.

you have just got to :wub: them to bits

cheers smokey

" its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"

• Hi Jay, Smokey.

Jay, thanks for the update on "Tex" Hill. I'm glad to see he is still going strong. I'd love to see him at one of his meets again.

Smokey, thanks for the nice words--they make me feel better. :-)) Heh heh heh, if I had one swig of Whiskey, I would not even see the end of the bed let alone a lemon :-))

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Today, Alfred Anderson, of the 5th Battalion, Black Watch; passed away at his home in Angus, Scotland.

This man was born in 1896, was in one of the first British contingents to serve on the Western Front in WWI. Mr. Anderson is thought to have been the longest surviving veteran of the 1914 Christmas Truce between the British & the Germans. He was 109.

BTW, Mr. Anderson was the WWI vet who laid wreaths at two veterans ceremonies just this past Armistace Day/Veteran's Day.

Rest In Peace Mr. Anderson. :(

Also, more sad news, Australia's last WWI vet to serve on active duty, passed away about a week or so ago.

May he Rest In Peace as well. :(

• Hi Carl,
    Thank you for making this last posting.
    I echo your sentiments on the passing of such fine men.
    Rest In Peace, and may all that you fought for,
    will be everlasting.

Keith

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Their likes will not be seen again. We stand on the shoulders of giants...Old soliders never die they just fade away...

John Bernard Books (The Shootist):
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them."

Originally posted by ZACK613@Nov 22 2005, 08:18 PM
    Their likes will not be seen again. We stand on the shoulders of giants...Old soliders never die they just fade away...

[snapback]23312[/snapback]

Great quote,
    Last time I heard it was,
    when Gregory Peck quoted Douglas MacArthur,

Best Wishes,
    Keith

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• One can almost never go wrong quoting Duke, MacArthur or Churchill.

John Bernard Books (The Shootist):
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them."

• Yesterday, America lost another of its dwindling number of WWI veterans. This veteran passed away at the age of 109. This WWI veteran had the distinctions of being the last American female WWI vet living as well as having met with the Secretary of War in 1916, to argue the right for women to serve in our military.

This Ladies name is Charlotte. Charlotte was one of six known American WWI veterans still living, Sadly, now there are only five known living. If anyone keeps track of such things, just three months ago, there were 13 American WWI vets still living. As of Thanksgiving 2006, there were 51 known American vets still alive.

I am hoping I am wrong on this but, it looks like we might not have any WWI vets still alive, before the end of this year. :(

Rest in Peace Charlotte.